American Atheists Lose.. 9-11 Cross stays.

The 9/11 "cross" isn't really a cross at at all it's a random piece of debris that the superstitious among us have imbued with some sort of mystical power

Why are atheists so up in arms over a cross? Nobody is forcing religious views on them. I don't believe pro wrestling is real, but I don't go to court to try stopping it. I don't believe in Elvis sightings, but I don't try shouting down those that think Elvis is alive. I don't believe that communion wine literally turns into Christ's blood, but I fully support Catholics first amendment right to believe it does.

I think that atheists that fight against the free exercise clause are terrified that they're wrong, and that's why they're so vocal.
They fight because they don't want public funds used to support private faiths, or their symbols in this case. Why do you care about a bent piece of steel from a collapsed building? Oh right, because it looks like a Cross, the Symbol of Christianity...

Last edited:
Maybe that's because if you think about it, which you guys don't, there was no God there that day, or if he was there he was on the side of the 19 who killed 150 times that many. Now that's a slaughter worthy of the Bible eh?

You guys make a big deal out of symbols while your actions undermine the faith all damn day long. Godspeed little friends...

Us guys?

I am a Jew. Not very religious either.

I simply respect the sentiments of other people and if it affects me, I turn the other way.

As do I, seek to be offended, and you will be.
I concur thats why I always look [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep9Vzb6R_58"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep9Vzb6R_58[/ame]

... but I'm okay with a memorial cross at a spot where people died (although I fail to see the point).
The point is to say that the person who died was a Christian, or a Jew. See:
Grave%20markers%20-%20Star%20of%20David.jpg

Many other faiths died that day as well, but there is no symbol honoring them, just the Christians, as usual...

I mean, I fail to see the point of memorials at all. I suppose it if really matters put up a commemorative plaque or something, but I think it's just a pointless display of useless emotion to build memorials in the first place.

Garth has it right. "Live in the now."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vaQ-Y6kLOM]Live In The Now - YouTube[/ame]

... but I'm okay with a memorial cross at a spot where people died (although I fail to see the point).
The point is to say that the person who died was a Christian, or a Jew. See:
Grave%20markers%20-%20Star%20of%20David.jpg

Many other faiths died that day as well, but there is no symbol honoring them, just the Christians, as usual...

I mean, I fail to see the point of memorials at all. I suppose it if really matters put up a commemorative plaque or something, but I think it's just a pointless display of useless emotion to build memorials in the first place.

Garth has it right. "Live in the now."

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vaQ-Y6kLOM]Live In The Now - YouTube[/ame]

I agree. I think of all the valuable real estate being wasted on cemeteries and memorials and it makes me ill.

I think the court arrived at the right decision, but I have some serious doubts about the way the ruling justifies it.

IMHO - this is NOT going to be an oft-cited ruling.

The 9/11 "cross" isn't really a cross at at all it's a random piece of debris that the superstitious among us have imbued with some sort of mystical power

is that like the Tortilla with an image of Jesus on it?....

If that had been found at the Twin Towers, they want it encased in glass, and guarded by American soldiers.

is that like the Tortilla with an image of Jesus on it?....

If that had been found at the Twin Towers, they want it encased in glass, and guarded by American soldiers.

Well, who wouldn't?

I say we put it at Arlington. We can have it under constant watch by the Old Guard. If there's time, they can still guard the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and do those burial details, but a Jesus tortilla? That should be the priority.

Actually, I heard this morning that they DID want it removed. Apparently, some testimonies included people saying that the site of the cross, itself, made them ill.
Not sure what the truth is.
Maybe that's because if you think about it, which you guys don't, there was no God there that day, or if he was there he was on the side of the 19 who killed 150 times that many. Now that's a slaughter worthy of the Bible eh?

You guys make a big deal out of symbols while your actions undermine the faith all damn day long. Godspeed little friends...

Us guys?

I simply respect the sentiments of other people and if it affects me, I turn the other way.

It's like when i walk by a menorah, or a statue of Vishnu, or a Buddha, it doesn't bother me.

That makes us fall into the category of "not an asshole"

Us guys?

It's like when i walk by a menorah, or a statue of Vishnu, or a Buddha, it doesn't bother me.

Go through life without being an asshole?

Why, that's crazy talk...but it's just so crazy it just might work.

Us guys?

Doesn't bother either, unless I helped pay for it against my wishes or it's on public property. Then it bothers me, unless everyone else also has their religious nonsense there.

Forum List

Back