american-dream-slips-out-of-reach-for-millennials-study-finds

Wolfstrike

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2012
Yup. Even if you have a great work ethic, odds are beginning to become stacked against you. The income gap is only going to grow bigger and bigger.

What is the so called american dream anyway? It has never been defined but it sure was recklessly bantered about.

What is the so called american dream anyway? It has never been defined but it sure was recklessly bantered about.
People owning their own land/home and being able to do with it what they want.

And also having enough money for a nice car, reasonably fashionable clothes, college for the kids, plenty of food, good healthcare, never having to want for anything.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/american-dream-slips-out-of-reach-for-millennials-study-finds/ar-AAlkAyv?li=BBnb7Kz

Children born in 1940 had a 92 percent chance of taking home more income than their parents, the research shows. By contrast, someone born in 1984 — who is 32 years old today — has just a 50 percent likelihood of making more than his or her parents.

------------

The funny part is I earn more than my parents did, and can't buy anything with it
My son(born 1984) earns around 52k a year as a truck driver, has no wife, no kids and is off 2 days a month and has no rent or mortgage..I made 75-100k when I ran my business, but had to work 6-7 days a week to earn it...My old man was a stock broker and made around 200k a year. It depends on what one does for a living though..

And also having enough money for a nice car, reasonably fashionable clothes, college for the kids, plenty of food, good healthcare, never having to want for anything.

One good family vacation a year.

Those are nice, but the dream is home and land ownership, before the US, only aristocrats had that ability. The other stuff describes middle class lifestyle, but the dream is independence and ownership.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/american-dream-slips-out-of-reach-for-millennials-study-finds/ar-AAlkAyv?li=BBnb7Kz

Children born in 1940 had a 92 percent chance of taking home more income than their parents, the research shows. By contrast, someone born in 1984 — who is 32 years old today — has just a 50 percent likelihood of making more than his or her parents.

------------

The funny part is I earn more than my parents did, and can't buy anything with it

There is some stipulation to this.

In my opinion, Americans have become increasingly lazier. Drugs and drug testing plays a major role from what I've seen.

If you don't have the desire to make more money, then it's likely you will make less than your parents. People of my generation often worked a lot of hours when we were younger. Many of us had two jobs or otherwise worked six to seven days a week. I don't see that in younger people today.

When my company was looking for a driver in the heart of the recession, my employer couldn't find one. The ones that accepted the job couldn't pass a drug screen. When the recession started to let up, my father--a retired bricklayer, told me his union was sending them pamphlets trying to get retirees to recruit young men for the trade. They couldn't find any takers that could pass the drug test.

Mind you, bricklaying is very hard work. I did it myself for a time. But the point is, years ago, you had to fight to get into the trade because it paid so well. It still does, but the workers attitude is just the opposite.

------------

In my opinion, Americans have become increasingly lazier. Drugs and drug testing plays a major role from what I've seen.

If you don't have the desire to make more money, then it's likely you will make less than your parents. People of my generation often worked a lot of hours when we were younger. Many of us had two jobs or otherwise worked six to seven days a week. I don't see that in younger people today.

When my company was looking for a driver in the heart of the recession, my employer couldn't find one. The ones that accepted the job couldn't pass a drug screen. When the recession started to let up, my father--a retired bricklayer, told me his union was sending them pamphlets trying to get retirees to recruit young men for the trade. They couldn't find any takers that could pass the drug test.

Mind you, bricklaying is very hard work. I did it myself for a time. But the point is, years ago, you had to fight to get into the trade because it paid so well. It still does, but the workers attitude is just the opposite.

Does it still pay as well as it did, adjusted for inflation?

i don't know this person, nor can I vouch for her numbers. This article is from 1991, btw.

The Devaluation of the Skilled Worker

"In 1970 members of my union could support a family on one income. Bricklayer, tile-setter or stone mason were careers to aspire to. Because the majority of masonry work was union labor, most of us had the added benefits of pensions, health coverage and safer working conditions.

Yet in 1990, at the end of the longest economic boom in post-war history, union masons in Baltimore found ourselves making 19.3 percent less in real wages (adjusted for inflation) than we made in 1970."

Assuming those trends continued, that difference could be more like 30% by now.

Could you fill those slots if you offered 30% more?

------------

i don't know this person, nor can I vouch for her numbers. This article is from 1991, btw.

"In 1970 members of my union could support a family on one income. Bricklayer, tile-setter or stone mason were careers to aspire to. Because the majority of masonry work was union labor, most of us had the added benefits of pensions, health coverage and safer working conditions.

Yet in 1990, at the end of the longest economic boom in post-war history, union masons in Baltimore found ourselves making 19.3 percent less in real wages (adjusted for inflation) than we made in 1970."

It's still a pretty good paying job, and it also depends on where you work in the country. Here is what I found nationally:

Journeyman Wages

A bricklayer who has successfully completed his apprenticeship is known as a journeyman. Wages for union journeyman bricklayers vary based on their geographic location. Taxable wages for a union journeyman bricklayer in Orange County, Calif., were $35.26, while his counterpart in Ithaca, N.Y., earned $26.78 per hour.

Union Bricklayer Pay Scale

According to Salary.com, bricklayers over here make around $45.00 per hour, but that includes benefits:

Bricklayer Salaries in Ohio and by education, experience, Location and more - Salary.com

Bottom line is that these are good paying jobs, but it's difficult to find people willing to do hard manual labor.

The American dream is easy 3 bedroom house, white picket fence, wife, two kids, two cars and a couple of vacations a year..

Now a "Fair Wage" on the other hand...

No one knows what the fuck does that mean....

Last edited:
Some of the money will trickle down to millennials and they better like it.

The American dream is easy 3 bedroom house, white picket fence, wife two kids, two cars and a couple of vacations a year..

Now a "Fair Wage" on the other hand...

No one knows what the fuck does that mean....

For me, the American dream would be never having to go to work again unless I was board or something. Just making my own money and doing whatever I wanted when I wanted.

------------

It's still a pretty good paying job, and it also depends on where you work in the country. Here is what I found nationally:

Journeyman Wages

A bricklayer who has successfully completed his apprenticeship is known as a journeyman. Wages for union journeyman bricklayers vary based on their geographic location. Taxable wages for a union journeyman bricklayer in Orange County, Calif., were $35.26, while his counterpart in Ithaca, N.Y., earned $26.78 per hour.

According to Salary.com, bricklayers over here make around $45.00 per hour, but that includes benefits:

Bricklayer Salaries in Ohio and by education, experience, Location and more - Salary.com

Bottom line is that these are good paying jobs, but it's difficult to find people willing to do hard manual labor.

Not bad. But how would it compare to the same job a generation ago?

How much do the apprentices made while apprenticing?

The downward pressuring factors in the labor pool makes me suspect that those wages have NOT kept up with inflation.

------------

Journeyman Wages

The downward pressuring factors in the labor pool makes me suspect that those wages have NOT kept up with inflation.

Maybe not. But with all the complaining by the left that there are no jobs, it sure pays pretty well for no takers.

Back to point: I believe that while many are making less than their parents, part of that is due to the lack of motivation. In my line of work, we need tens of thousands of drivers industry can't find. Many truck drivers today are foreigners because Americans won't take these jobs. Some of these guys can't even speak or read English.

I had some tenants leave their apartment last year. It was a younger couple both who worked at fast food restaurants. They made the rent, but were usually late. I had no problem with that so it wasn't an issue. They were in their mid 20's when they left, and the reason they worked restaurants is because they didn't want to give up smoking pot. Pot is more important than securing a career or even a job for that matter. As long as they worked lower wage jobs, they didn't have to worry about ever being drug tested.

I see a vast difference between younger people today and younger people years ago when I entered the workforce. When I was younger, I was the first in my crowd to get my own apartment at the age of 20, but many of my other friends were not far behind. We didn't live at home with our parents until our 30's. Today, it's common from what I've read.

------------

Journeyman Wages

Maybe not. But with all the complaining by the left that there are no jobs, it sure pays pretty well for no takers.

Back to point: I believe that while many are making less than their parents, part of that is due to the lack of motivation. In my line of work, we need tens of thousands of drivers industry can't find. Many truck drivers today are foreigners because Americans won't take these jobs. Some of these guys can't even speak or read English.

I had some tenants leave their apartment last year. It was a younger couple both who worked at fast food restaurants. They made the rent, but were usually late. I had no problem with that so it wasn't an issue. They were in their mid 20's when they left, and the reason they worked restaurants is because they didn't want to give up smoking pot. Pot is more important than securing a career or even a job for that matter. As long as they worked lower wage jobs, they didn't have to worry about ever being drug tested.

I see a vast difference between younger people today and younger people years ago when I entered the workforce. When I was younger, I was the first in my crowd to get my own apartment at the age of 20, but many of my other friends were not far behind. We didn't live at home with our parents until our 30's. Today, it's common from what I've read.

I like to see inflation adjusted numbers for those driving jobs. I bet that if you looked at it, you would find that they are NOT paying what they did when you were 20.

Journeyman Wages

I like to see inflation adjusted numbers for those driving jobs. I bet that if you looked at it, you would find that they are NOT paying what they did when you were 20.

As with most manual labor jobs.

Journeyman Wages

As with most manual labor jobs.

And that's is the result of bad policy choices, leading to an oversupply of labor, and a decrease of demand.

If you want someone to make sacrifices like spending most of their lives on the road away from their family, you need to make it worth their while.

I've worked temp jobs in other states. I didn't do it so that we could scrape by a little better.

I did it because I was making money hand over fist.

Forum List

Back