Annoying Phrases People Use All the Time

My last name is Young. I have amused hundreds of people over the years by giving them the opportunaty to tell me, "You will never be Old (Yuck, yuck, yuck....)

"Back in the day"
I also feel an irritation with that phrase, which is perhaps out of proportion to the offense, considering how this solecism pales before the manifold condign grammatical crimes which cluster around the word "like".

Why can't they just say, "once", "in the past", "long ago" or some such normal phrase which does not stick out like a sore thumb?

"Back in the day"
I also feel an irritation with that phrase, which is perhaps out of proportion to the offense, considering how this solecism pales before the manifold condign grammatical crimes which cluster around the word "like".

Why can't they just say, "once", "in the past", "long ago" or some such normal phrase which does not stick out like a sore thumb?

Damn, noman. You are TRULY one of the most boring and mundane hacks infesting the ranks of USMB liberoidalism.

"Back in the day"

Because they wish to sound cool. I expect to hear that from 15 year olds not 45 year olds.

"Old Man" or "Old Lady" as in "significant other" (another annoying phrase) meaning spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend.

"Old Man" or "Old Lady" as in "significant other" (another annoying phrase) meaning spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend.
You have a disconnect with the coolest generation.

Another one of my peeves are things like "owned" or "schooled" in political commentary. Stupid adjectives/adverbs.

You have a disconnect with the coolest generation.

Another one of my peeves are things like "owned" or "schooled" in political commentary. Stupid adjectives/adverbs.

Not really, I am looking for an Indian because of my connection with that generation.

indian.jpg

"Old lady" has origins back to (1775–85) Old lady

1. word
  2. word up
  3. true that
Annoying phrases people use all the time which you wish you never had to hear ever again. Anyone on board for this? A couple of examples, to get the ball rolling:

"No problem." A favorite phrase of waiters and waitresses, but often used by just about anyone. Setup: You say "thank you" to someone for doing something that you think is deserving of a thank you. The waiter notices your coffee cup is half empty, stops on his way to another table and fills it up. "Thanks!," you say. "No problem," says the waiter. Yetch. How about, "you're welcome"?

A better example. The waiter is taking your order and you have a special request. Because of dietary limitations, you can't eat butter. So you tell the waiter, "I want to make sure that this fish is cooked in fat free oil, not butter." Waiter: "No problem." No problem? Maybe yes, maybe no. Let's wait until the fish actually arrives to see whether or not there is "no problem." Hint: Most of the time, in spite of the waiter's bland assurances, there IS a problem - a huge problem.

"Sorry about that." This one comes to us from the 1960's television series, "Get Smart," specifically, from the star of that series, Agent 86 - Maxwell Smart. It is the calssic non-apology, because it trivializes whatever transgression has just been committed and makes it clear that the speaker does not consider what he/she just did as anything that it really deserving of an actual apology.

How about you? What are some phrases you find particularly annoying and why?

I'll bet he found that phrase annoying....
Iliar has Tourette's Syndrome.

I never look at his postings -- I just scroll past.

I don't waste time being annoyed by potty-mouths.

Being on this site is like living in the zoo -- you have to get used to the animals.
Use the Ignore feature.

Being rid of all the belligerent adolescents and time-wasting adult morons is like stepping over dogshit on a sidewalk without breaking stride. It enables you to reduce what might have been a five page thread to just three pages of relatively civil, intelligent commentary and transactions.

Why put up with shit-slingers when you don't need to?

Forum List

Back