Annoying Phrases People Use All the Time

"Let me be honest with you..." --> esp when this comes from a salesperson you know a lie is coming.

"We are the 99%!"

When Demorats say "Man I just got my property tax bill and I'm getting screwed."

"Unions are good for America."

It is what it is.

What is?

Oh, I think I throw up in my mouth a little when I hear.....

The new normal

Just a jab at the USMB members....here's one for you

GOT A LINK

Gonna write a song about that one....

Got a link, got a link, can you do the fandango

Thunderbolts and lightning, very very frightening......

Last edited:
I'll bet he found that phrase annoying....
Iliar has Tourette's Syndrome.

I never look at his postings -- I just scroll past.

I don't waste time being annoyed by potty-mouths.

Being on this site is like living in the zoo -- you have to get used to the animals.

noman is not very bright, but he is also quite dishonest. He reads my stuff and I could even prove it.

But like noman itself, it's not worth the effort.

I read many of noman's vapid posts just to see if he can ever say anything remotely intelligent that isn't the work product of someone else.

So far, noman is 0-for-ever.

Last edited:
'
How do people feel about using the word "guy" to refer to females as well as males?

It usually seems rather strange -- yet teenagers, especially teenage girls among themselves, often use it in a gender-neutral way ("Do you guys want to go get a pizza?").

English, unlike Greek ("anthropos" vs. "aner"), Latin ("homo" vs. "vir"), Chinese ("ren" vs. [well, nothing! · :D], does not have a standard, gender-neutral word for "human being". Maybe "guy" is our best shot for developing one?

After all, words do change their meanings! "girl" originally meant a young child of either sex, and "man" in prehistoric Germanic (and Indo-European in general) just meant a human being of either sex (as opposed to "wer", a male -- fossil remnants occur in the words "were-wolf" and "world").

Last edited:
'
How do people feel about using the word "guy" to refer to females as well as males?

It usually seems rather strange -- yet teenagers, especially teenage girls among themselves, often use it in a gender-neutral way ("Do you guys want to go get a pizza?").

English, unlike Greek ("anthropos" vs. "aner"), Latin ("homo" vs. "vir"), Chinese ("ren" vs. [well, nothing! · :D], does not have a standard, gender-neutral word for "human being". Maybe "guy" is our best shot for developing one?

After all, words do change their meanings! "girl" originally meant a young child of either sex, and "man" in prehistoric Germanic (and Indo-European in general) just meant a human being of either sex (as opposed to "wer", a male -- fossile remnants occur in the words "were-wolf" and "world").

Soooooo, do you have an issue with the word or did you just completely miss the theme of the thread?

The one I can't stand that's been popping up lately is..."reached out" or "reach out" or "reaching out."

Such as..."Let's reach out to the community and see if they'll donate to this cause."

I think I don't like it because of the time my boss called me in and said, "The police department has reached out to me regarding you saying 'fuck you' to the dispatcher on the phone."

The police department didn't "reach out to him," they CALLED him and tried to get me fired. : )

Last edited:
Annoying phrases people use all the time which you wish you never had to hear ever again. Anyone on board for this? A couple of examples, to get the ball rolling:

"No problem." A favorite phrase of waiters and waitresses, but often used by just about anyone. Setup: You say "thank you" to someone for doing something that you think is deserving of a thank you. The waiter notices your coffee cup is half empty, stops on his way to another table and fills it up. "Thanks!," you say. "No problem," says the waiter. Yetch. How about, "you're welcome"?

A better example. The waiter is taking your order and you have a special request. Because of dietary limitations, you can't eat butter. So you tell the waiter, "I want to make sure that this fish is cooked in fat free oil, not butter." Waiter: "No problem." No problem? Maybe yes, maybe no. Let's wait until the fish actually arrives to see whether or not there is "no problem." Hint: Most of the time, in spite of the waiter's bland assurances, there IS a problem - a huge problem.

"Sorry about that." This one comes to us from the 1960's television series, "Get Smart," specifically, from the star of that series, Agent 86 - Maxwell Smart. It is the calssic non-apology, because it trivializes whatever transgression has just been committed and makes it clear that the speaker does not consider what he/she just did as anything that it really deserving of an actual apology.

How about you? What are some phrases you find particularly annoying and why?

dropped the ball...failed to connect the dots....

this one annoys me too ...... MAKE NO MISTAKE!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Let me be clear, make no mistake I do not like Obama! :eusa_whistle:

Obama didn't invent that. I clearly remember George W. Bush using that phrase...often.
I think a big part of being a professional politician (bullshit artist) is having a ready stock of buzzwords and political-sounding phrases, such as "make no mistake" and "moving forward," etc. When strategically applied, these hollow plug-ins can make the most vacuous, least informed carpetbagger seem to be in touch.

Last edited:
'

After all, words do change their meanings! "girl" originally meant a young child of either sex, and "man" in prehistoric Germanic (and Indo-European in general) just meant a human being of either sex (as opposed to "wer", a male -- fossil remnants occur in the words "were-wolf" and "world").

I've never really understood it. Use it myself. Doesn't bother me. Seems just a quick way to address a group

What do you guys think?

It's almost natural, but I can see where it would annoy someone.

Forum List

Back