Another Amazon Scam

I just got a call saying my Amazon account had been charged $ 279; if this is correct hang up, if it is not correct, press 1 for customer service.

This happened to me a couple months ago and I fell for it, got scammed bad. Really bad.

Just letting you know, NEVER PRESS ONE. Go to Amazon and check with them directly. They're at it again.
I don't have that much credit on my account so they'd be SOL.

I'm really humiliated I fell for it, but yes, screen share, and then remote access and walking me through setting up an online account for my checking.

I had to get a new debit card, checking account and associated pains in the ass. Plus the creepiest thing was after I went to the bank to process all that stuff, I came home and he had my computer on camera, videoing me. I put it under the mattress because I couldn't shut it off.

But the prick actually had the balls to call me then and try one more time to keep playing, trying to convince me he was legit. I told him I knew he was a scammer and told him to get off my computer. Within five minutes, he was gone and his footprint was gone, too.

It takes a special combination of not knowing much about computers OR crooks for all that to have happened, but I wasn't the only one who fell for it. The woman at the bank who helped me through it said I was definitely not the first she'd had to rescue.

So everyone now knows just how stupid I really am. But I did learn, Never Press One.

This is why they do it, they can get 99 out of 100 rejections, but if one person falls for it out of those hundred they make money.

I'm sorry, but at any point did you even get a fuzzy feeling in your head that this wasn't proper?

I'm really humiliated I fell for it, but yes, screen share, and then remote access and walking me through setting up an online account for my checking.

I had to get a new debit card, checking account and associated pains in the ass. Plus the creepiest thing was after I went to the bank to process all that stuff, I came home and he had my computer on camera, videoing me. I put it under the mattress because I couldn't shut it off.

But the prick actually had the balls to call me then and try one more time to keep playing, trying to convince me he was legit. I told him I knew he was a scammer and told him to get off my computer. Within five minutes, he was gone and his footprint was gone, too.

It takes a special combination of not knowing much about computers OR crooks for all that to have happened, but I wasn't the only one who fell for it. The woman at the bank who helped me through it said I was definitely not the first she'd had to rescue.

So everyone now knows just how stupid I really am. But I did learn, Never Press One.

This is why they do it, they can get 99 out of 100 rejections, but if one person falls for it out of those hundred they make money.

I'm sorry, but at any point did you even get a fuzzy feeling in your head that this wasn't proper?
Yeah, when I hung up and called Amazon, then my bank.

Unfortunately you are they type of person they target.

Anytime you get any call from anything like that you hang up, then log into your account or call the number on your card.

Anytime you get any call from anything like that you hang up, then log into your account or call the number on your card.
I figured that out, Marty. But thanks for rubbing it in.

I figured that out, Marty. But thanks for rubbing it in.

The key is not to make the same mistake twice.

But seriously my 101 year old grandfather uses a computer regularly and he wouldn't have fallen for that. :)

Forum List

Back