Another Approach To the Russia-Ukraine War

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Putin is quite apparently a NUT-job, and I still havent really gotten a focus on WHY he's doing all this, and WHAT he thinks he could achieve, Maybe if psychiatrists in countries relatively friendly to Russia (at least up until now) were to openly counsel him, he might ease off, and pull back the troops (who aren't too happy with what they're doing),

A lot of civilian Russians aren't really on board with it either.

Putin is quite apparently a NUT-job, and I still havent really gotten a focus on WHY he's doing all this, and WHAT he thinks he could achieve, Maybe if psychiatrists in countries relatively friendly to Russia (at least up until now) were to openly counsel him, he might ease off, and pull back the troops (who aren't too happy with what they're doing),

Bad actor to be sure, but not necessarily a nut job. I still have him pegged as just a cold-blooded, calculating asshole. He has a goal, he wanted to move his castle onto that square, reclaiming that real estate on the chessboard to have it's assets, strategic placement and oil reserves. He just made a bad estimate of how much resistance he would face from Ukraine and also Europe, the US and the world at large. and his military leaders do not look competent, when I am sure, he thought they were. Putin fkd up. Even if he wins the square, he loses. Bad move Vlad and no graceful way out.

As long as Putin remains in power he is going to be, well, Putin and the West better get used to the idea. Putin cares shit-all what the world thinks of him and in that respect he sits in the cat-bird's seat until he doesn't, it's really as simple as that.

The Mayor of Moscow (Sergey Sobyanin) or the Russian Defense Minister (Sergei Shoigu) seem to have the inside track to replace Putin by and by but who really knows? Hell, one of Putin's former bodyguards (who is yet unnamed) is said to be Putin' choice to replace him.

Bad actor to be sure, but not necessarily a nut job. I still have him pegged as just a cold-blooded, calculating asshole. He has a goal, he wanted to move his castle onto that square, reclaiming that real estate on the chessboard to have it's assets, strategic placement and oil reserves. He just made a bad estimate of how much resistance he would face from Ukraine and also Europe, the US and the world at large. and his military leaders do not look competent, when I am sure, he thought they were. Putin fkd up. Even if he wins the square, he loses. Bad move Vlad and no graceful way out.
He did alright in Chechnya. Not sure why nobody sees the parallel. A bit early to call this one.

He did alright in Chechnya. Not sure why nobody sees the parallel. A bit early to call this one.
They were under attack almost from the beginning, back in the Boris Yeltsin days. Different situation. These people got a taste of freedom. Too sweet to give up without a fight.

You don’t know why?

Russia has never tolerated NATO expanding to Ukraine. This has always been known for the last 30 years. Yet NATO has been playing with the idea of brining Ukraine in. Russia isn’t going to give up Crimea, their primary naval base they’ve had since the 1800’s.

All Biden had to do was promise Ukraine wouldn’t be admitted into NATO, and that Ukraine recognize Crimea as Russian territory. But, Biden refused and now we have a war that everyone predicted.

Second Chechen War, that was all Putin. It's about the method, the Chechens resisted, but failed. You should check it out.
Well aware. But it was a smaller poorer country. Without as much support from the west or coordination and oversight on nuclear weapons being gathered us and secured. If memory serves, the Russians didn't declare victory there until 2017 then. I think Ukraine will be a thorn in the Russia bear's foot forever.

Why he's doing it? That's a no-brainer: Ukraine is wealthy with wheat production, minerals and energy, and also has a good position on the sea. Also, Biden is going to gift Putin $13 Billion dollars to cover Putin's incidentals: it's in the budget being debated in congress now, marked as 'aid to Ukraine people', but we all know Putin and Putin alone will handle the money when Biden sends it. Biden and Xi are backing Putin in case you haven't notices: all big government is afraid of people with free choice and free market capitalism. All Putin has to do is declare victory and install his chosen puppet dictator. His soldiers will keep grinding away at the population until they starve or are liquidated. The farmers who survive will go back to farming...that's what they do. The miners and factory workers will be easy enough to replace with soviet patriots, if necessary.

A number of people have said that Putin didn’t invade Ukraine when Trump was in office as he viewed Trump as unpredictable.

Well Biden is predictable for sure — and weak. If there was going to be a good time to invade the Ukraine it is now.

But Putin might be acting a little insane. A slightly insane man with nuclear 1weapons is a real threat you don’t want to mess with. Notice how everybody is trying not to piss Putin off by giving him Mig fighters.

Unfortunately Putin might really be a little off his rocker. In that case we are living in VERY interesting times.

1646889155553.jpeg

Last edited:
Well aware. But it was a smaller poorer country. Without as much support from the west or coordination and oversight on nuclear weapons being gathered us and secured. If memory serves, the Russians didn't declare victory there until 2017 then. I think Ukraine will be a thorn in the Russia bear's foot forever.
It was 2009, but the insurgents were crossing numerous borders. Eastern European countries will not allow that. There is also a lack of outside fanaticism, such as religion. I don't think the West will get the insurgency they want.

A number of people have said that Putin didn’t invade Ukraine when Trump was in office as he viewed Trump as unpredictable.

Well Biden is predictable for sure — and weak. If there was going to be a good time to invade the Ukraine it is now.

But Putin might be acting a little insane. A slightly insane man with nuclear 1weapons is a real threat you don’t want to mess with. Notice how everybody is trying not to piss Putin off by giving him Mig fighters.

Unfortunately Putin might really be a little off his rocker. In that case we are living in VERY interesting times.

View attachment 613381
We are actually quite good at the nuclear poker, having played longer than they have. I do not let it worry me. We are just abiding by agreements in place on the table. Try changing the rules of a poker game with cards dealt, money on the table and bets being raised, you can get needlessly shot, rather than abiding by the rules of propriety, sportsmanship and knowledge that guns and knives are on the table at all times.

We are actually quite good at the nuclear poker, having played longer than they have. I do not let it worry me. We are just abiding by agreements in place on the table. Try changing the rules of a poker game with cards dealt, money on the table and bets being raised, you can get needlessly shot, rather than abiding by the rules of propriety, sportsmanship and knowledge that guns and knives are on the table at all times.
The Russians unfortunately don’t aways follow the rules.

Some countries try to obey the rules better than others.

I doubt Russia under Putin is one of those.
Still don't think him irrational, just an asshole.

Forum List

Back