Another family friendly pit bull story

Well, my friend, you've just lost your entire argument. Dogs can certainly be trained not to bark. I trained each dog I ever owned to be on its best behavior and not to bark or be a nuisance.

Of course this doesn't mean a dog will never revert to do what is a natural canine activity. Bark, attack, drool, wag it's tail...lol, pwned.

let a stranger knock on your door and I bet your dogs bark.

No, I wouldn't love them. I'd love the result of eating them. I know you can't see the difference, but it exists.

you are wrong. not only would you LOVE them but you'd crave them so much that you pussy would get wet at the smell. This is exactly why Pavlovs dogs salivated at the sound of footsteps, ravikins. iN this case, peas would be your meat powder. Go learn something, ravi.

According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the FIRST known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

DOG BITE LAW - Statistics about dog bites in the USA and elsewhere

From your own link:

"Dog Attack Danger Scale:

Dog attacks are associated with one or more of the following circumstances:

* More than one dog in their own yard, and no master present.

* Pit bull, Rottweiler, Akita or Chow. Most fatal dog attacks are by pit bulls or Rottweilers. The two other breeds that Attorney Kenneth Phillips sees most in his law practice are Akitas and Chows.

* The pack mentality. Three dogs are worse than 2, 4 are worse than 3, etc. Docile dogs often become uncharacteristically violent and vicious when they are in a pack.

* Chained or tethered. Dogs that are tied up are dangerous.

* Male. Male dogs are several times more dangerous than female dogs. Unneutered male dogs are the worst."

Not that this lawyer qualifies as an expert an animal behavior. His main goal is to get clients.

Is this really the best you can find?

From what this guy is saying the main cause of dog attack is more than one dog in the yard unsupervised.

Maybe we should have laws making that illegal?

Should we also ban Akitas, chows and Rottweilers?

There's the rub.
I've seen people who will walk their kids past dogs they don't know, and say "If he bites my kid I'll kill him..."

Well that's great, you neandertal, but if he kills your kid your kid's going to be dead.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with liking various and assorted animals, including horses, but recognize the potential for danger and keep them and the public, including your own kids, safe. It's idiotic to "prove" a point with animals using kids.

I'm proud of my son, he is careful with his dog, he doesn't take him out in public without a leash, he has always made sure to spend lots of time with him and socialize him to other dogs and people in a safe way, and he plays with him when he's eating so he's acclimated to that. I keep telling him to get a muzzle but he's having a hard time finding one big enough. Not that Snoop needs a muzzle, but it would be nice for when they're out and about or when they have company...just so people don't feel threatened, and to provide that extra degree of security. It won't hurt the dog any and it covers all the bases.

From your own link:

"Dog Attack Danger Scale:

Dog attacks are associated with one or more of the following circumstances:

* More than one dog in their own yard, and no master present.

* Pit bull, Rottweiler, Akita or Chow. Most fatal dog attacks are by pit bulls or Rottweilers. The two other breeds that Attorney Kenneth Phillips sees most in his law practice are Akitas and Chows.

* The pack mentality. Three dogs are worse than 2, 4 are worse than 3, etc. Docile dogs often become uncharacteristically violent and vicious when they are in a pack.

* Chained or tethered. Dogs that are tied up are dangerous.

* Male. Male dogs are several times more dangerous than female dogs. Unneutered male dogs are the worst."

Not that this lawyer qualifies as an expert an animal behavior. His main goal is to get clients.

Is this really the best you can find?

From what this guy is saying the main cause of dog attack is more than one dog in the yard unsupervised.

Maybe we should have laws making that illegal?

Should we also ban Akitas, chows and Rottweilers?

Yup.

Of course I only posted the excerpt because it clearly shows that Soggy was wrong when he said...

pwnedSoggy said:
YOU can't find a single piece of evidence of an otherwise midl mannered pit bull all of a sudden going into batshit crazy attack attack mode without provocation or having been violently conditioned.

:D

health reasons are not merely a pit bull issue. If lassie gets the rabies the CLEARLY lassie is going to react to having fucking rabies. WE are talking about a violent predisposition in pits. YOU can't find a single piece of evidence of an otherwise midl mannered pit bull all of a sudden going into batshit crazy attack attack mode without provocation or having been violently conditioned. which, again, applies to all breeds of dogs.

I just gave you an example!

There's the rub.
I've seen people who will walk their kids past dogs they don't know, and say "If he bites my kid I'll kill him..."

Well that's great, you neandertal, but if he kills your kid your kid's going to be dead.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with liking various and assorted animals, including horses, but recognize the potential for danger and keep them and the public, including your own kids, safe. It's idiotic to "prove" a point with animals using kids.

I'm proud of my son, he is careful with his dog, he doesn't take him out in public without a leash, he has always made sure to spend lots of time with him and socialize him to other dogs and people in a safe way, and he plays with him when he's eating so he's acclimated to that. I keep telling him to get a muzzle but he's having a hard time finding one big enough. Not that Snoop needs a muzzle, but it would be nice for when they're out and about or when they have company...just so people don't feel threatened, and to provide that extra degree of security. It won't hurt the dog any and it covers all the bases.

I'm a big fan of muzzles too. I sometimes ask people with unpredictable, unsocialized or abused dogs why they don't use a muzzle. I think some of them think it will give the impression that their dog is vicious and it will reflect on them. But what's more important? Your fashion statement or the peace of mind knowing your dog can't bite and now you can relax a little when other dogs or kids approach it.

I tried to get my dog used to a muzzle. Not because she's ever given any indication of aggression to a human and is great with other dogs, but because I'm sick of having to pull chicken bones and garbage out of her mouth everytime I take her past the fried chicken place. It was the wrong size though, she managed to get it off all the time.

In Rome, the city ordinance requires all dogs to wear muzzles, but it doesn't specify how they must wear them some owners just attach them to the collar.

This is exactly why Pavlovs dogs salivated at the sound of footsteps, ravikins. iN this case, peas would be your meat powder. Go learn something, ravi.

Soggy,

I see you learned just enough in school to stop thinking. The dogs never loved the bell, they loved what happened after the bell rang. If you stopped feeding them after ringing the bell, they would soon stop salivating.

A lot of these things are observable in every day life. My daughter's guinea pigs used to squeal like crazy when we rang a bell because we would feed them carrots after the bell rang. Then we got bored with the trick, decided to ring the bell and not feed them, and sure enough...they no longer squeal when they hear the bell.

But thanks for playing.

Pit bulls take more work than many dogs and people are usually lazy. If you have 2 pit bulls in the same house you have to train them correctly when one dogs strives to be the dominant dog. You have to be the pack leader and not let the dog become the pack leader. Most people dont get their dogs enough exercise and this can be a big issue with Pits because exercise will wear them out and keep them from being aggressive. I know many people with Pits and some have kids and they have no issues because they never let the dogs run around the house with their kids when they cant keep an eye on them. Also if your dog is not socialized then you are in for some trouble. Pit Bulls are great dogs but they need great owners and unfortunately people are not willing to put the work in the make a successful existence between the animals and the household. Its not a dog for everyone, just like not everyone is cut out to be a parent.

Last edited:
Yup.

Of course I only posted the excerpt because it clearly shows that Soggy was wrong when he said...

:D

It doesn't really demonstrate that pits or any other type dog are prone to attack without warning. Most dogs do give signals that they feel threatened and will attack. People just don't pick up on them. In the case of the article you linked to, the two dogs had been observed giving warnings that they did not consider the newborn as part of the family.

Pit bulls are hard to read. Snoop loves me (he'd rather hang with me than my son when we're visiting, he always sits by my chair and follows me around) but the way his face is structured...so much bone, so wide, and such small eyes and ears, I can't read his mood just by looking at his face.

I've seen him scared once, and mad once. I could tell from his face when he'd had enough of my Russell, it kind of folded in on itself, I called my son and he was there in a second and we just put my Russell away. But when he was scared...he heard a weird noise in the house, he was out of control, racing around the house, and absolutely oblivious to anything else.

That's when they're scary. A scared dog of any size is dangerous, and a big one can be deadly.

It doesn't really demonstrate that pits or any other type dog are prone to attack without warning. Most dogs do give signals that they feel threatened and will attack. People just don't pick up on them. In the case of the article you linked to, the two dogs had been observed giving warnings that they did not consider the newborn as part of the family.

Right. It doesn't demonstrate that any dogs are "prone" to attack without warning. Just that more than 2/3 of the fatal attacks in the study were by dogs that had never shown aggressive behavior. So quite simply, the assertion that there exists not one shred of evidence demonstrating that seemingly mild mannered dogs sometimes snap, is wholly bogus. And that "sometimes" seems to occur more often in pits and rotty's.

Soggy,

I see you learned just enough in school to stop thinking. The dogs never loved the bell, they loved what happened after the bell rang. If you stopped feeding them after ringing the bell, they would soon stop salivating.

A lot of these things are observable in every day life. My daughter's guinea pigs used to squeal like crazy when we rang a bell because we would feed them carrots after the bell rang. Then we got bored with the trick, decided to ring the bell and not feed them, and sure enough...they no longer squeal when they hear the bell.

But thanks for playing.

YOu REALLY think the dogs didn't LOVE the bell? You think they just sat around nonchalantly after hearing the conditioned stimulus? I mean, salivating sure the hell IS an apathetic response!

:lol:

I promise you.. your daughters guinea pigs and the rest of psychology have about as much in common as Mani and any given heterosexual male.

Angie, why do you advocate emasculating dogs? That seem more drastic than letting a breed die out.

I advocate spaying and neutering pets because we have way to many strays and unwanted pets in shelters. Also, because it's better for the animals health. And because unneutered male dogs are the most dangerous of all dogs.

As far as letting a breed die out, how would you do that without spaying and neutering?

Forum List

Back