Another Interstate Bridge Collapse

Nobody died and the State has already given their statement on its condition, read for once kid.

Didn't realize we had so many structural engineers here. Who knew? It's amazing how you all know what caused this before there's been any investigation and while the bodies are still warm. Stay classy as always, folks.

Too bad it happened after the "sequester."

Is the need to cross the Skagit River considered an "entitlement?"

Last edited:
Don't know why the bridge collapsed nor why it got a satisfactory rating on its last inspection. What must be true is that its condition was not shovel ready.

What are you driving at? If there is a bridge over a river, people will use it, and they will make life decisions based on th fact that the bridge is there. When the bridge is no longer there, the people who used it could suffer dire consequences. I saw businesses go under when a ship took out the Egner's Ferry bridge in KY.

A survivor, who was directly behind the truck in question, and actually went down into the river with the section that collapsed, said "the over-sized truck was prevented from moving left due to another semi that came parallel on its left.

The bridge was structurally sound. Its design is not adequate to modern traffic needs.

This is not a tax problem- It's a spending problem i.e. WA state is notorious for throwing good money after bad when it comes to infrastructure spending. There are enough boondoggle projects to support this statement.
Name a few.

There were the public toilets in Seattle - Sound Transit-

I could go on, but you only asked for a few...

Too bad it happened after the "sequester."

It was hit by a truck, what does that have to do with the sequester?

I know, i know, 'let no crisis go to waste".

The tax cut culture strikes again!

I-5 bridge collapses over Skagit River; cars in the water | The Today File | Seattle Times

Posted by Brian M. Rosenthal

An Interstate 5 bridge collapsed into the Skagit River on Thursday evening, dumping cars and people into the waters north of Mount Vernon.

Washington State Patrol spokesman Mark Francis wrote on Twitter at 7:19 p.m. that both the northbound and southbound lanes had collapsed in the water.

Francis told the Associated Press he did not know how many people were in the water, whether there were any injuries or what caused the collapse.

Rescue efforts were under way soon after as dozens of people gathered on the shore to watch. A reporter on the scene said he saw a rescue boat take at least one person to shore amid cheers from the spectators.

Photographs of the collapse circulating on Twitter and Facebook showed a wide gap in the bridge and at least two vehicles in the water.

The bridge, built in 1955, was classified by the National Bridge Inventory as “functionally obsolete” in both 2000 and 2010. But the Washington Department of Transportation does not list it among its list of “structurally deficient bridges.”

Traffic around the site was backed up for miles.
U.S. Rep. Rick Larsen released a statement saying in part that he encourages “people to follow police instructions and stay away from the site of the collapse to let first responders address the situation safely.”

<snip>

Seems like you rushed to judgement a tad prematurely. I saw on the news this morning that a big truck took out a primary support and caused the collapse. Funding had nothing to do with it.

Good thing the bridge wasn't any higher or the water any deeper...
:eek:
I-5 bridge collapse survivor: 'You hold on'
24 May,`13 &#8212; Dan Sligh and his wife were in their pickup truck on Interstate 5 heading to a camping trip when a bridge before them disappeared in a "big puff of dust."
"I hit the brakes and we went off," Sligh told reporters from a hospital, adding he "saw the water approaching ... you hold on as tight as you can." Sligh, his wife and another man in a different vehicle were dumped into the chilly waters of the Skagit River when the span collapsed Thursday evening. They were injured, but miraculously, authorities said it appeared nobody was killed in the bridge failure that raised the question about the safety of aging spans and cut off the main route between Seattle and Canada. "We don't think anyone else went into the water," said Marcus Deyerin, a spokesman for the Northwest Washington Incident Management Team. "At this point we're optimistic."

Sligh and his wife were taken to Skagit Valley Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The other man was reported in stable condition at United General Hospital in Sedro-Woolley, hospital CEO Greg Reed said. Authorities are trying to determine what caused the bridge to collapse about 60 miles north of Seattle in Skagit County. State Patrol detectives and the patrol's commercial vehicle enforcement bureau troopers spoke to a commercial truck driver whose rig struck the structure. "We do have the truck driver who remained at the scene. We've had initial conversations with him to get an indication as to what occurred," said State Patrol Chief John Batiste.

76c47c3b6333c011320f6a7067008eec.jpg

Bridge crossing the Skagit River in Washington collapses

Sligh said his shoulder was dislocated in the drop into the water, and he found himself "belly deep in water in the truck." He said he popped his shoulder back in and called out to his wife, who he described as being in shock initially as they waited for rescuers to arrive in boats. Traffic along the heavily travelled route could be affected for some time. "The I-5 corridor is totally disrupted," said Gov. Jay Inslee, who went to the scene Thursday night. He said work has already started to design detours, but state Transportation Secretary Lynn Peterson asked people to avoid I-5 in the area for the next several days. The National Transportation Safety Board was sending an investigative team. Trooper Francis said a portion of the four-lane bridge over the Skagit River collapsed about 7 p.m.

Jeremiah Thomas, a volunteer firefighter, said he was driving nearby when he glimpsed something out of the corner of his eye and turned to look. "The bridge just went down, it crashed through the water," he said. "It was really surreal." The bridge was about 50 feet above the water. Deyerin said it appeared that two vehicles - a car and the pickup with the travel trailer attached - fell into the river. He said the water depth was about 15 feet, and the vehicles half-visible in the water likely were resting on portions of the collapsed bridge. Crowds of people lined the river to watch the scene unfold. "It's not something you see every day," said Jimmy O'Connor, the owner of two local pizza restaurants who was driving on another bridge parallel to the one that collapsed. "People were starting to crawl out of their cars."

More I-5 bridge collapse survivor: 'You hold on'

See also:

Deadly Parking Deck Collapse In Maryland
Thursday, May 23, 2013 - Parking deck collapses at Md. mall; 1 killed
A parking garage partially collapsed Thursday outside a shopping mall in suburban Maryland, and officials said one construction worker died after being trapped under a concrete slab. Montgomery County rescuers worked to stabilize the structure for more than four hours to free a second worker. Officials said it appears a 50,000-pound section of the parking deck collapsed outside a Macy's department store.

One man died of his injuries, and the other was taken to a hospital with serious injuries, said fire department spokeswoman Beth Anne Nesselt. The second worker, who was freed about 6 p.m., appeared to be alert and conscious when he was rescued. Rescuers confirmed there were no other people inside the structure, said Assistant Fire Chief Scott Graham.

The parking deck was under construction during the collapse and was not open to the public. The mall is in the midst of a major redevelopment project that will place a 16-screen movie theater on top of the parking garage. Aerial video from the scene after the partial collapse showed a large concrete slab that appeared to have fallen out of place.

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/ar...at-Md-mall-1-killed-4544239.php#ixzz2UDxXuUFn

Last edited:
The bridge was structurally sound. It appears it collapsed because some dipshit ran into the overpass.

Some of us have been asking for infrastructure work for a long time. This bridge was "functionally obsolete", as are many others. How many have to die?

"Functionally obsolete" does not mean unsound. It means it has an obsolete design, such as narrow shoulders and whatnot.

No one died.

Seems like you rushed to judgement a tad prematurely. I saw on the news this morning that a big truck took out a primary support and caused the collapse. Funding had nothing to do with it.

Therefor, the question before us is: Was the truck drive a democrat or a republican?
haha_smilie.gif

Therefor, the question before us is: Was the truck drive a democrat or a republican?
haha_smilie.gif

That would be funny, but the wingnuts are probably researching that. :lol:

Cut the party budget. Spend the money on infrastructure.

How much is Big Moo's extended vacation while she separates from her evil consort going to cost.

Forum List

Back