Another Interstate Bridge Collapse

Seems to me that a bridge that collapses just because a truck hits A single supporting column was NEVER structurally sound.

Either there's more to the story we have yet to read or that bridge was NEVER safe.

We'll need to wait for more information, certainly, but the over height load made it off the bridge, so it was likely that more than one of the overhead supports was damaged.

This is a non political issue. A truck hit the bridge and caused it to fall. Now, the lawsuits begin to recover money from the truck line's or driver's insurance to pay for the damage, and decisions will have to be made about which laws prevail, state law, federal law or maritime law. I don't envy the driver or his employer. And I have to wonder if there were other issues as well. I once had a patient who fancied himself a truck driver only to lose a semi. Yep. He lost a semi, as in couldn't find it.

This is a non political issue. A truck hit the bridge and caused it to fall. Now, the lawsuits begin to recover money from the truck line's or driver's insurance to pay for the damage, and decisions will have to be made about which laws prevail, state law, federal law or maritime law. I don't envy the driver or his employer. And I have to wonder if there were other issues as well. I once had a patient who fancied himself a truck driver only to lose a semi. Yep. He lost a semi, as in couldn't find it.

Greyhound has been known to lose buses, sometimes for months.

Seems to me that a bridge that collapses just because a truck hits A single supporting column was NEVER structurally sound.

Either there's more to the story we have yet to read or that bridge was NEVER safe.

Structural members are not placed for decoration. While some may be covered by the ability of others to carry the shifted load, not all have that level of protection. Hit the right one and remove it from the structure and down it all goes.

this is a non political issue. A truck hit the bridge and caused it to fall. Now, the lawsuits begin to recover money from the truck line's or driver's insurance to pay for the damage, and decisions will have to be made about which laws prevail, state law, federal law or maritime law. I don't envy the driver or his employer. And i have to wonder if there were other issues as well. I once had a patient who fancied himself a truck driver only to lose a semi. Yep. He lost a semi, as in couldn't find it.

greyhound has been known to lose buses, sometimes for months.

omg!

The source of liberal marching orders:

87E3482549AB4213808C31C45B762082.png

Axelrod Blames Republicans for Washington Bridge Collapse

My thoughts, exactly.

The tax cut culture strikes again!

I-5 bridge collapses over Skagit River; cars in the water | The Today File | Seattle Times

Posted by Brian M. Rosenthal

An Interstate 5 bridge collapsed into the Skagit River on Thursday evening, dumping cars and people into the waters north of Mount Vernon.

Washington State Patrol spokesman Mark Francis wrote on Twitter at 7:19 p.m. that both the northbound and southbound lanes had collapsed in the water.

Francis told the Associated Press he did not know how many people were in the water, whether there were any injuries or what caused the collapse.

Rescue efforts were under way soon after as dozens of people gathered on the shore to watch. A reporter on the scene said he saw a rescue boat take at least one person to shore amid cheers from the spectators.

Photographs of the collapse circulating on Twitter and Facebook showed a wide gap in the bridge and at least two vehicles in the water.

The bridge, built in 1955, was classified by the National Bridge Inventory as “functionally obsolete” in both 2000 and 2010. But the Washington Department of Transportation does not list it among its list of “structurally deficient bridges.”

Traffic around the site was backed up for miles.
U.S. Rep. Rick Larsen released a statement saying in part that he encourages “people to follow police instructions and stay away from the site of the collapse to let first responders address the situation safely.”

<snip>

If only Obama had invested the Stimulus in infrastructure, instead of Solyndra is right.

Last edited:
Not marching orders, just common sense.

Axlerod: "Minions, let no crisis go to waste. A bridge collapse is on the news...MAKE IT POLITICAL!!!"

Minions: (singsong voices in unison) "yes master, we hear and we obey..."

Hours later, back at the legion of doom...

Axlerod: "Minions, ABORT, ABORT, ABORT...it was a man made oversized contingency operation."

Minions: (singsong voices in unison) "crap..."

Last edited:

Axlerod: "Minions, let no crisis go to waste. A bridge collapse is on the news...MAKE IT POLITICAL!!!"

Axlerod: "Minions, ABORT, ABORT, ABORT...it was a man made oversized contingency operation."

And the right didnt make it political right away? How comments were made in here yesterday blaming Obama?
Both sides dropped the ball.

And the right didnt make it political right away? How comments were made in here yesterday blaming Obama?

The difference is the right was on defense, reacting to the lefts attack.

...the left was on the offensive, orchestrated by Axlerod.

Last edited:

The difference is the right was on defense...the left was on the offensive, orchestrated by Axlerod.

Axelrod made the comments this morning, how could they have been on the defense last night before he made the comments?

So we have an old bridge that needs to be fixed.
The bridge doesn't get fixed.
Something bad happens to a bridge that needed to be be fixed but wasn't....

Conclusion....

It's the Republicans fault.... :eek:

So we have an old bridge that needs to be fixed.
The bridge doesn't get fixed.
Something bad happens to a bridge that needed to be be fixed but wasn't....

Conclusion....

It's the Republicans fault.... :eek:

Or Obama's, depending on your political views.

Some have also blamed the democrats in Washington State. It just depends on your cup of tea.

Forum List

Back