Another Interstate Bridge Collapse

And the right didnt make it political right away? How comments were made in here yesterday blaming Obama?
Both sides dropped the ball.

The difference is the right was on defense...the left was on the offensive, orchestrated by Axlerod.

Axelrod made the comments this morning, how could they have been on the defense last night before he made the comments?

Look at who started this thread Luissa.

Look at page one.

Do you think a republican would have started a thread blaming Obama for a bridge collapse?

Of course not.

The liberals were on this like stink on shit, they couldn't contain their enthusiasm in attempting to turn this crisis to their political advantage.

Republicans defend against those charges.

You can see the difference, can you not?

Last edited:
According to the TV report I'm watching, the bridge was hit by a truck. From the look of the truck, it must have been a glancing blow -- only the side of the trailer is showing damage.

Three people have been taken to local hospitals.

Yup, blip I saw on CNN (?) this morning said that a semi-driver drove onto the bridge with a load that was far too heavy, & the load projected beyond the allowed lane. (The load was drilling rig equipment, as I recall.)

The load struck one of the main beams on the bridge; that plus the too heavy load buckled the beam, causing the bridge to fail, plunging that section of the bridge into the water. They didn't say or I missed if the responsible driver survived the fall. I hope his insurance is up to paying for all the claims, & the civil claims that will probably ensue, as well.

If that's what happened, & if he survived, it'll be interesting to hear what excuses he can come up with. The authorities will have to take him into protective custody, do the blood draws, test for alcohol, drugs, etc.

Last edited:
The difference is the right was on defense...the left was on the offensive, orchestrated by Axlerod.

Axelrod made the comments this morning, how could they have been on the defense last night before he made the comments?

Look at page one.

Do you think a republican would have started a thread blaming Obama for a bridge collapse?

Of course not.

The liberals were on this like stink on shit, they couldn't contain their enthusiasm in attempting to turn this crisis to their political advantage.

Yes, of course they would have. You guys blame Obama for all sorts of things.
If you try to say differently, you are lying.
I don't see the difference at all, each side is equally guilty of playing the Blame game, sorry that you are too partisan to see that.

How about someone in their local government issued some Municipal bonds
to get some funding to fix the bridge.
Or how about cut some spending as well....

Geez....

Look at page one.

Of course not.

And how many times have republicans made a comment about Obama not visiting victims fast enough? The troops fast enough?
What about the Boston bombing? Yeah! Try not to be so hypocritical.

How about someone in their local government issued some Municipal bonds
to get some funding to fix the bridge.
Or how about cut some spending as well....

Geez....

90% of interstate funding comes from federal, someone already posted the info.

Or maybe you don't have someone crash into the bridge in the first place....
I guess that's the republicans fault as well.. :confused:

How much infrastructure spending will it take exactly to keep a truck from colliding with the overhead girder supports...rounded off to the nearest gazillion?

Since the liberals have abandoned this thread as if it was the Titanic, I'll answer this question myself.

How much infrastructure spending would it take exactly to keep a truck from colliding with the overhead girder supports?

Almost enough to make liberals happy. :eusa_whistle:

(My bold)

Here, let me help:

1. Remedial reading lessons for the semi-driver & his lead vehicle driver - who both should have seen the vertical clearance signs & stopped.

2. Remedial reading lessons for the semi-driver & his lead vehicle driver - who both should have seen the max load signs & stopped.

3. Both of these drivers' records should be investigated in depth. If they're such piss-poor drivers as to miss max height & max load signs, they've been driving for years if not decades, & probably have several suspended licenses each. They should probably be stricken from commercial driving, ever. If in fact they both have other suspended licenses, they should do some jail time - a coupla years sounds good to me, depending on how much damage & carnage they've been responsible for in total.

4. Both drivers' liability insurance should pay up for bridge repairs, bridge inspections, civil damages to the other vehicles, hospital charges, ambulance charges, lost labor, water rescue charges for the other drivers who took a bath as a result of these twos' stupidity.

Total costs are probably in the millions, mostly for bridge repair. If push comes to shove, I'd be willing to explore breaking up these two drivers for parts. If these two are too far gone to do their job in an acceptable manner, perhaps we can get Stephen Hawking back on his feet - a more than worhtwhile trade, my opinion.

Look at page one.

Of course not.

Oh! And Twitchyteam beat Axelrod by a few hours. I guess they were playing offense last night. Google who is behind Twitchyteam. ;)

Look at page one.

Of course not.

And how many times have republicans made a comment about Obama not visiting victims fast enough? The troops fast enough?

I think you need to refresh your memory.

I did.

I went back to the Boston Bombing thread and read the first three pages...one poster tried to make it about Obama and their own side slapped them down for it...go read it yourself.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/288700-boston-marathon-bombing.html

So, you were saying?

Look at page one.

Of course not.

I think you need to refresh your memory.

I did.

I went back to the Boston Bombing thread and read the first three pages...one poster tried to make it about Obama and their own side slapped them down for it...go read it yourself.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/288700-boston-marathon-bombing.html

So, you were saying?

Oh! You got me. Lol
Not really.

I am sorry the republicans are no better than the democrats. At least accept that, instead of looking partisan.

All this is why we don't have funding for infrastructure. Instead of playing the blame game, congress etc. need to work together and get something done.
Who cares about what happened in 2010, we need to focus on problems today.

All this is why we don't have funding for infrastructure. Instead of playing the blame game, congress etc. need to work together and get something done.
Who cares about what happened in 2010, we need to focus on problems today.

No, the reason we have no funding is that government does not operate in a way that streamlines processes and saves money and then appropriates it to the right areas.

How much infrastructure spending will it take exactly to keep a truck from colliding with the overhead girder supports...rounded off to the nearest gazillion?

Since the liberals have abandoned this thread as if it was the Titanic, I'll answer this question myself.

How much infrastructure spending would it take exactly to keep a truck from colliding with the overhead girder supports?

Almost enough to make liberals happy. :eusa_whistle:

(My bold)

Here, let me help:

1. Remedial reading lessons for the semi-driver & his lead vehicle driver - who both should have seen the vertical clearance signs & stopped.

2. Remedial reading lessons for the semi-driver & his lead vehicle driver - who both should have seen the max load signs & stopped.

3. Both of these drivers' records should be investigated in depth. If they're such piss-poor drivers as to miss max height & max load signs, they've been driving for years if not decades, & probably have several suspended licenses each. They should probably be stricken from commercial driving, ever. If in fact they both have other suspended licenses, they should do some jail time - a coupla years sounds good to me, depending on how much damage & carnage they've been responsible for in total.

4. Both drivers' liability insurance should pay up for bridge repairs, bridge inspections, civil damages to the other vehicles, hospital charges, ambulance charges, lost labor, water rescue charges for the other drivers who took a bath as a result of these twos' stupidity.

Total costs are probably in the millions, mostly for bridge repair. If push comes to shove, I'd be willing to explore breaking up these two drivers for parts. If these two are too far gone to do their job in an acceptable manner, perhaps we can get Stephen Hawking back on his feet - a more than worhtwhile trade, my opinion.

More than likely, there were no weight or height limit signs. Interstate bridges have minimum weight limits to meet when built, and unless called out as such, permit loads can use them. At 14'7", the bridge was over a foot higher than the Interstate minimum height (13'6"), and as such needed no height marking. (Note: MANY bridges have no height markings for that reason.)

Last edited:
The bridge was old and should have been fixed already- before the sequester, which merely reduces future spending by a trivial amount.

Is everything that goes wrong going to get blamed on cuts? Obama has had five years to address stuff like this, but has been too busy worrying about other issues, like abortion, birth control and granting amnesty to millions of illegals.

There haven't been any deep cuts. Obama supporters keep trying to claim that he spent less than anyone, so maybe you should direct your complaints to White House website if you really believe his spending less was the cause of this.

Old? It was built 60 years ago.

The President has been talking about infrastructure spending since he was a candidate. Who is stopping it?

Yea, 60 years is old for a bridge that has a large volume of traffic. Obama talked about infastructure as a candidate, but what has he done in the last 5 years? Look at all the stimulus money that was supposed to go for stuff like this.

The CONGRESS controls the money and distributes the line items not the president.

You must have missed that in Civics class:eusa_whistle:

$10 billion a month wasted on Iraq Democracy, and the right wing spent like crazy. Spending it at home, and we all of a sudden have to pinch every penny.

And they wonder why Obama won so easily, twice.

Forum List

Back