Anyone here reload?

on the .44 mag, the people that like it most work in Orthopedics. I have always considered mags as useless, the "Dirty Harry thing. Then my idea of the best thing for home defense a 410

on the .44 mag, the people that like it most work in Orthopedics. I have always considered mags as useless, the "Dirty Harry thing. Then my idea of the best thing for home defense a 410

As a home defense gun, you are correct. I would not choose a .44 mag for home defense. But since the .44 mag will also chamber and fire a .44 Special, they could work out well.

For other uses, however, the .44 Magnum is excellent. I have hunted deer and feral hogs with mine, and also kept it loaded and available for vermin. It does a great job. It is accurate and powerful. I've never needed any orthopedic work done. Let the gun kick. It is when you try and hold it down that you are likely to have issues.

I have the 44 mag just because. I don't use it for protection, it has a 7.5 inch barrel.

I keep the 12 gauge pump next to my bed for protection.

So I did it. I found an inexpensive starter kit for reloading at Bass Pro. It's made by Lee, which I'm told is a pretty good outfit.

It's a turret press. All I need to get started is a 30-06 die set, powder, primers and bullets.

I'm trying to upload a photo, but it isn't working for me.

So I did it. I found an inexpensive starter kit for reloading at Bass Pro. It's made by Lee, which I'm told is a pretty good outfit.

It's a turret press. All I need to get started is a 30-06 die set, powder, primers and bullets.

Follow directions and have fun !!!!

Follow directions and have fun !!!!

They say when I get proficient at it, I will be able to do up to 250 rounds an hour. Sounds like fun.

you cannot upload pic but suddenly you can reload with explosives........go slowly...go slowly....

my father always did the reloading.....i have all the stuff.....well no gunpowder and i wouldnt use the shells...metal castings are still good...but i will never touch the stuff...

now i will give dad this...he did it away from the house

okay on the carport him and his buddies would pick a clear dry day and set up on the car port and spend the day reloading....and they smoked while doing it...

*now laughing at the crazy memory* in my home you were told...'you want to blow shit up...you take it outside'

Hello, Pred. Yes I do reload and it's easier than you might think. I have three Lee single stage reloaders which reloads 9mm, .38 specials, .45 ACP, 10mm, .45 long colt,and .44 magnum. I have never reloaded a rifle cartridge, but the principle would remain the same. Buy a .44 magnum and 30-06 kit at your favorite gun dealer. Full instructions will be included.

I chose three manual reloaders as opposed to the progressive (no political references) because I wanted more control over the whole process. You may want to use the prog. press...that's up to you. Just be sure to calibrate the amount of powder you load into each shell casing. That step is (by far) the most critical.

Here is a video from YouTube explaining the process of reloading a 30-06. Good luck on your reloading...it's fun and rewarding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEc3IGQgdQ8

How much do you have per load?

As a home defense gun, you are correct. I would not choose a .44 mag for home defense. But since the .44 mag will also chamber and fire a .44 Special, they could work out well.

For other uses, however, the .44 Magnum is excellent. I have hunted deer and feral hogs with mine, and also kept it loaded and available for vermin. It does a great job. It is accurate and powerful. I've never needed any orthopedic work done. Let the gun kick. It is when you try and hold it down that you are likely to have issues.

44 Magnum is excellent. I have hunted deer

i have to works well on deer

you cannot upload pic but suddenly you can reload with explosives........go slowly...go slowly....

my father always did the reloading.....i have all the stuff.....well no gunpowder and i wouldnt use the shells...metal castings are still good...but i will never touch the stuff...

now i will give dad this...he did it away from the house

It seems easier to reload bullets than it is to upload a picture!

I'm talking about a 44 Magnum revolver. I have heard of people hunting hogs with them here in Florida, but I wouldn't want to get that close.

I am talking about a revolver too. One of the great advantages of a revolver is the availability of special rounds, like shotshells. My gf is fond of a .357 revolver. Both of her revolvers are loaded with a .38 Special shot shell for the first round, and .357 mag MagSafe rounds in the other 5 chambers.

As for hunting with the .44, I am reliably accurate at 50 yards, and with a solid rest and a stationary target I can hit at 100 yards (if I have a close idea of the range).

The kind of terrain most feral hogs live in means you will be shooting at less than 100 yards anyway.

Think bow hunting with more noise and quicker followup shots.

All I need now is the dies the powder and the bullets for 30-06. In a few weeks I'll get the dies for the 44, then the 40 cal, eventually I'll have a set for all of my guns. Can't wait!

The first bullet I ever made. One of many many more to come!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 89
Consider using a .22 for practice. I use to reload when I was in matches. I don't know how prices are now but using a 9mm and a .308 allowed me to use surplus ammo. When it comes to price it was hard to beat. My SSG would hold a good group out to about 500 yards for matches I did my own. 9mm is ammo sensitive with 1 9mm doing better with PMC than any other brand.

I don't own a 22 though.

You need one.

At 3 cents a shot, you'll make the cost back pretty quickly.

Get yourself a nice Henry AR7, Marlin Papoose or Ruger 10/22.

Or, if you like single shots, take a look at the folding Chiappa Little Badger, $150 or less new.

You can't get .22's in bulk anymore. Walmart stocks 9mm but not 22's. I stopped at the Pa. Cabellas and they had 100 round boxes that you had to buy individually and you were restricted to two boxes at a purchase. My wife and I each bought the max and dumped them in the car and went back for another 400 rounds but it is tedious. I talked to the salesman and it seems that nobody knows or nobody is talking about why 22's are scarce.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't own a 22 though.

You need one.

Or, if you like single shots, take a look at the folding Chiappa Little Badger, $150 or less new.

You can't get .22's in bulk anymore. Walmart stocks 9mm but not 22's. I stopped at the Pa. Cabellas and they had 100 round boxes that you had to buy individually and you were restricted to two boxes at a purchase. My wife and I each bought the max and dumped them in the car and went back for another 400 rounds but it is tedious. I talked to the salesman and it seems that nobody knows or nobody is talking about why 22's are scarce.

Interesting. I don't own a 22 so i never experienced that but I remember recently that gun shops wouldn't sell you more than 2 boxes of anything.

Hello, Pred. Yes I do reload and it's easier than you might think. I have three Lee single stage reloaders which reloads 9mm, .38 specials, .45 ACP, 10mm, .45 long colt,and .44 magnum. I have never reloaded a rifle cartridge, but the principle would remain the same. Buy a .44 magnum and 30-06 kit at your favorite gun dealer. Full instructions will be included.

I chose three manual reloaders as opposed to the progressive (no political references) because I wanted more control over the whole process. You may want to use the prog. press...that's up to you. Just be sure to calibrate the amount of powder you load into each shell casing. That step is (by far) the most critical.

Here is a video from YouTube explaining the process of reloading a 30-06. Good luck on your reloading...it's fun and rewarding.

Yes reloading is easy. Buying all the equipment costs a fortune for the average Joe.

How much do you have per load?[/QUOTE
That would depend on the weight of the bullet, the powder manufacturer and what you plan to do with the loaded round. Will it be for self defense, for target practice or for some other need? Each powder container comes with a booklet explaining amounts of powder to use in different situations. If there is no booklet, ask your gun dealer for one.
It would be a good idea to invest in a digital scale if you plan to start reloading. They are very accurate and last for years with proper care.

I don't own a 22 though.

You need one.

Good point.

I couldn't find .17HMR for a long time either...still not at Wal-Mart, but I can get them at Bass-Pro.

I stocked up on .22 after the last shortage but as scarcity has become the new normal I have become much more restrained in depleting my supply.

Our Walmart does get in bulk packs, but you have to be there first thing the morning after the delivery truck arrives to get them.

I'll tell you what though...I bought a Crossman Fury .177 pellet rifle on Black Friday a couple years ago for $64, and if I want to plink or hunt squirrels or rabbits, there's a good chance it is going with me.

I take the O/U .22LR/410 with me too, JIC, but I've gotten pretty good with the Destroyer EX pellets...and at $4 for 250 pellets you just can't go wrong.

Unfortunately, in my experience a spring pellet gun is neither held or shoots in anyway like a firearm rifle, so it does not serve as an effective practice gun.

When I held my spring gun like I would a 30-06, my shot groups were not at all tight. I changed to what is known as an "artillery hold" and now I get very good groupings...but this hold would never work with anything like a high powered rifle recoil.

Forum List

Back