Are atheists materialists?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were confused, that might be funny. I am not confused. You are the one who has been bound and determined to convince me I am something I am not.
Your beliefs that you are an atheist who believes in a life force are illogical. That is what you are confused about. Those concepts are mutually exclusive. All you have done is substitute a different word for God. Probably because you recoil from the consequences of your own beliefs.

First you say, "You aren't the only atheist who believes in a life force".
Now you say my beliefs are illogical.

And no, they are not mutually exclusive. My being an atheist simply means I do not believe in god. It does not mean I do not believe in a life force.

I am recoiling from nothing of the kind. And I have not simply substituted words. Life force and God are different things. That you have difficulty with that is not my problem.
Life force is just another way of saying God. Therefore, believing a life force exists and believing there is no God are beliefs which are mutually exclusive.

Perhaps that is what you believe. I do not.
Is this life force a form of a spirit?

Do you believe all spirits are God?

Did I say that? When I answer comments that are posted to me or about me, I am not saying this is all about me.
The OP was not directed to you. You yourself said you weren't the only atheist who believed in a life force. Yet you persist in making this about you.

I have never tried to make this about me. Not once. When you make a post directed at me, my answering it is not me making this about me.

You have, numerous times, singled me out. I answered. That is not me making this all about me. I have stated my beliefs and you have proclaimed them "illogical" based on your assumptions and on your invented/expanded definition of the word "atheist".
You are still doing it by continuing to discuss it.

LMAO!! Now you want to back off our discussion? Funny, you spent a lot of time singling out my responses and telling me I am not an atheist or that my beliefs are illogical. But my responding to such claims is making it all about me?

You said you started this thread
"It deserved its own thread because their response seemed inconsistent with their belief that there isn’t anything which is incorporeal which does not come from material beings"
This discussion is not about you.

No, it is about your disagreeing with a few people's stated beliefs. But I am one of the people you were talking about when you said you thought the discussion deserved its own thread. I have not tried to make it about me. I have simply answered statements made about me and my beliefs.

In post #14, you said the following:
"The question came up in another discussion and I was surprised to discover their belief. It deserved its own thread because their response seemed inconsistent with their belief that there isn’t anything which is incorporeal which does not come from material beings.

It was almost as if they believed there was some life force at work which by my accounting is inconsistent with the atheist world view that nothing exists outside of the material world."

Which shows you made this thread to address what I and others said in the other thread. I simply answered your claims about what I believe.
Yes. I never denied it. But it was not exclusively about you. I was surprised how common this inconsistency was in the atheist community.

Methinks you are taking this way too personal.

I am not taking any of this personally. I am secure in my beliefs. You are trying to make it personal. I suspect that soon you will bow out of this thread.
I am trying to understand the logic of the atheist position that they aren't materialists when their belief system does not allow for any consciousness outside of material beings.

If I were confused, that might be funny. I am not confused. You are the one who has been bound and determined to convince me I am something I am not.
Your beliefs that you are an atheist who believes in a life force are illogical. That is what you are confused about. Those concepts are mutually exclusive. All you have done is substitute a different word for God. Probably because you recoil from the consequences of your own beliefs.

And no, they are not mutually exclusive. My being an atheist simply means I do not believe in god. It does not mean I do not believe in a life force.

I am recoiling from nothing of the kind. And I have not simply substituted words. Life force and God are different things. That you have difficulty with that is not my problem.
Life force is just another way of saying God. Therefore, believing a life force exists and believing there is no God are beliefs which are mutually exclusive.

"You are still doing it by continuing to discuss it." Apparently I am not the only one continuing to discuss my personal beliefs.

I believe there is only one spirit and it is God. What you would call a Life Force. :wink:

Anything beyond that gets complicated for three dimensional beings to understand. I wouldn't expect a two dimensional being to understand a three dimensional being any better than a three dimensional being can understand a multi dimensional being.

"The question came up in another discussion and I was surprised to discover their belief. It deserved its own thread because their response seemed inconsistent with their belief that there isn’t anything which is incorporeal which does not come from material beings.

It was almost as if they believed there was some life force at work which by my accounting is inconsistent with the atheist world view that nothing exists outside of the material world."

Which shows you made this thread to address what I and others said in the other thread. I simply answered your claims about what I believe.
Yes. I never denied it. But it was not exclusively about you. I was surprised how common this inconsistency was in the atheist community.

I am not taking any of this personally. I am secure in my beliefs. You are trying to make it personal. I suspect that soon you will bow out of this thread.
I am trying to understand the logic of the atheist position that they aren't materialists when their belief system does not allow for any consciousness outside of material beings.

Pardon me, but if I answer this comment you will accuse me of making this all about me.

Who says an atheist belief system does not allow for any consciousness outside of material beings.

The OP was not directed to you. You yourself said you weren't the only atheist who believed in a life force. Yet you persist in making this about you.

I have never tried to make this about me. Not once. When you make a post directed at me, my answering it is not me making this about me.

You have, numerous times, singled me out. I answered. That is not me making this all about me. I have stated my beliefs and you have proclaimed them "illogical" based on your assumptions and on your invented/expanded definition of the word "atheist".

LMAO!! Now you want to back off our discussion? Funny, you spent a lot of time singling out my responses and telling me I am not an atheist or that my beliefs are illogical. But my responding to such claims is making it all about me?

"It deserved its own thread because their response seemed inconsistent with their belief that there isn’t anything which is incorporeal which does not come from material beings"

No, it is about your disagreeing with a few people's stated beliefs. But I am one of the people you were talking about when you said you thought the discussion deserved its own thread. I have not tried to make it about me. I have simply answered statements made about me and my beliefs.
No. It is about the incongruity of their beliefs. Can you explain how it makes sense for an atheist to believe in a Life Force?

I believe there is only one spirit and it is God. What you would call a Life Force. :wink:

Anything beyond that gets complicated for three dimensional beings to understand. I wouldn't expect a two dimensional being to understand a three dimensional being any better than a three dimensional being can understand a multi dimensional being.

I believe there are incorporeal things that do not originate from corporeal things.

I have no problem with your beliefs. But you seem to take issue with mine.

No. It is about the incongruity of their beliefs. Can you explain how it makes sense for an atheist to believe in a Life Force?

But then I would be making this all about me. :21:

Pardon me, but if I answer this comment you will accuse me of making this all about me.

Who says an atheist belief system does not allow for any consciousness outside of material beings.
The answer to that question lies in your answers to a few questions.

Where does that consciousness come from?

But then I would be making this all about me. :21:
It doesn't have to if you don't take it personally.

The term "atheist" means someone who does not believe in god. For you, god is everything incorporeal. For me it is not. It is called a difference in beliefs.

I believe there are incorporeal things that do not originate from corporeal things.

Where exactly do they originate from, if not from the corporeal?

I don't know.

The term "atheist" means someone who does not believe in god. For you, god is everything incorporeal. For me it is not. It is called a difference in beliefs.
That didn't answer the question. I am looking for you to reconcile where the Life Force resides.

As I have said, several times, I do not know.

I don't know.
Has it always existed?

That didn't answer the question. I am looking for you to reconcile where the Life Force resides.

And I am not looking to reconcile where it resides. I believe it exists. Which, for the purposes of this discussion, is enough.

As I have said, several times, I do not know.
How do you know it didn't originate from the corporeal then?

And I am not looking to reconcile where it resides. I believe it exists. Which, for the purposes of this discussion, is enough.
How do you know it exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back