Are there any Catholics here?

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
I am getting ready to take a test and I still don't quit understand what, "Indulgences" are for?

Does that mean you can skip a punishment and go right to heaven?

If not then what would be the reason to have it or what is the correct understanding of it?

Thanks.

Are there any Catholics here?
My second wife is a recovering Catholic. I guess I became a Catholic when I married my first wife in a Catholic church, but ex-communicated when I divorced her.

I am getting ready to take a test and I still don't quit understand what, "Indulgences" are for?

If not then what would be the reason to have it or what is the correct understanding of it?

Thanks.

I don't know the answer to your question, drifter.

Of the Catholic religion I can only say how very good I felt at Mass every Sunday for over a year when I was 18 years young and not even understanding a word of Latin spoken by the priest. There was just something very spiritual being inside the church, the music, the stained glass, the process. It moved me.

Of the 4 faiths I had lengthy, and weekly exposure to from early childhood through adolescence, even singing in the all-adult choir at 14 in one of them, the Catholic experience was the one that was felt by my soul.

Thanks.

An indulgence is remission of the temporal effects of sin, not the eternal effects of sin. Unless I am very much mistaken, it's like penance.

Thanks.

I don't know the answer to your question, drifter.

Of the Catholic religion I can only say how very good I felt at Mass every Sunday for over a year when I was 18 years young and not even understanding a word of Latin spoken by the priest. There was just something very spiritual being inside the church, the music, the stained glass, the process. It moved me.

The best part about the Mass is that you don't even have to speak the language. If you know the Mass, you know what's going on.

I looked it up online, I still don;t understand it.

What I am asking is, for a test question, if I had to explain indulgences, would it be fair to say it's some sort of forgiveness for a sin forever or is it forgiveness only on earth?

Thanks.

An indulgence is remission of the temporal effects of sin, not the eternal effects of sin. Unless I am very much mistaken, it's like penance.

So does that mean forgiveness here and now but not hereafter?

Is that it in a nutshell, if I answer it that way I should get it right on the test?

Thanks.

Is that it in a nutshell, if I answer it that way I should get it right on the test?

I think so. What is the test for?

Sociology of Religion, 5 chapters and power points.

I am not doing good in this class. I am not religious and I don;t understand some of the verbiage used and I also don't comprehend some of the stuff we are reading.

Normally I am a straight A student but I am doing really bad in this class.

Thanks everyone for contributing ideas to this thread.

I am not doing good in this class. I am not religious and I don;t understand some of the verbiage used and I also don't comprehend some of the stuff we are reading.

You might be doing badly because you don't conform to the dogma. Good for you.

What is the difference between an indulgence and absolution? Divorce by the wealthy?

It's a secular college course, not catechism. :cuckoo:

What is the difference between an indulgence and absolution? Divorce by the wealthy?

Absolute indulgence is the Catholic Bishop in Germany that spent $42 million on his residence. He said he didn't do anything wrong.:cuckoo:
Sure is a lot of suckers in the Catholic church.

In certain hierarchies only the most perverse, duplicitous , deceitful and pretentious make it to the top.

In certain hierarchies only the most perverse, duplicitous , deceitful and pretentious make it to the top.

...only to find themselves out on the street with nothing. And cons can't see that, "you reap what you sow".

...only to find themselves out on the street with nothing. And cons can't see that, "you reap what you sow".

"He who leads into captivity shall go into captivity; he who lifts the sword to kill, is bound by the sword to be killed."

Forum List

Back