Are truths relative or absolute?

We are not everything. The subject has now shifted?

Everything passes, everything changes. The only thing stable in the universe is that condition of impermanence.

If everything changes, then truth cannot be absolute, because it would change as well.

Ah, that is the mystery of life. What is absolute truth? Is it what some people call God or Buddha?

Is it a state beyond conception?

"Inconceivable, inexpressible and ineffable, the perfection of sublime knowing is unborn and unceasing, the very nature of space. It is the realm of your own self-knowing timeless awareness..."

Prajnaparamita

But what I really want to know is, do you have tuna?

I'm just a typing cat stuck in a philosophy thread.

Last edited:
OK pusscat. I'll open the can for you. You can line up with the four kitties I have.

"and was it false when pilot asked it?"

Pilate was an educated, intellectual example of his epoch, trained in philosophy and debate. He knew that no absolute could withstand close scrutiny because there was always the residual question of, "according to whom?"
His question was about the nature of the word.

Jesus spoke from a position of knowing something was true. He had zero doubt. For him, an absolute absolutely existed.

They were separated by their knowledge.

And yet, if one believes the gospels, even Jesus had doubts in gethsemane. And as far as I know, no one ever asked him if his doubts were justified.

His prayer reflected human doubt that what was coming might change, but the cause of all was not doubted.

This is not to validate "Christianity", just a statement about this person and his conviction.

Belief is powerful stuff, and makes things real.

Everything passes, everything changes. The only thing stable in the universe is that condition of impermanence.

If everything changes, then truth cannot be absolute, because it would change as well.

Ah, that is the mystery of life. What is absolute truth? Is it what some people call God or Buddha?

Is it a state beyond conception?

"Inconceivable, inexpressible and ineffable, the perfection of sublime knowing is unborn and unceasing, the very nature of space. It is the realm of your own self-knowing timeless awareness..."

Prajnaparamita

Interesting
of course and along those lines,
how can we prove we really exist?

How many are you?

I meant that not it a smart-guy way.
You are asking that it be proved to more than you.
You cannot be certain (in the 'absolute' sense) that other than 'you' exists.
But you cannot doubt that you exist (well, theoretically you could think you doubt it, but doubt itself only confirms existence).
The only thing that exists without the possibility of dispute is consciousness.

How many are you?

I meant that not it a smart-guy way.
You are asking that it be proved to more than you.
You cannot be certain (in the 'absolute' sense) that other than 'you' exists.
But you cannot doubt that you exist (well, theoretically you could think you doubt it, but doubt itself only confirms existence).
The only thing that exists without the possibility of dispute is consciousness.

Well actually, in the original post to this
I was just commenting on the prior comment with the "eastern" influence

I agree to ourselves we can assume we exist since we have thought

Of course, it does not mean that everything outside of us is necessarily, real or as
we perceive it to be...

Perhaps it could be like the Matrix or something
How do we really know ?
:eusa_angel:

In fact, it is very like the idea in 'Matrix', except it is not external, it is internal.
All an individual has is her/his perceptions. There is nothing else.
Perceptions are, by definition, subjective.
All we 'know' is the result of this organization of sensory input by the brain.

In fact, it is very like the idea in 'Matrix', except it is not external, it is internal.
All an individual has is her/his perceptions. There is nothing else.
Perceptions are, by definition, subjective.
All we 'know' is the result of this organization of sensory input by the brain.

Yes, and we assume our sensory perceptions are correct
but how do we really know

Well, even if they are not correct
all we can do is enjoy the ride
:eusa_angel:

If offered would you take the "red pill or blue pill" ?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back