Are You Going to Hell?

Seen in this light these accounts should be viewed less like fairy tales and more like how important information was passed down in ancient times.
Of course, the national thing to do is then to examine the actual value of this information. The information they were passing down was the product of ignorance, fear, truncated morality, and magical thinking.
You don't seem to be trying very hard. :lol:

Thanks for proving my point.

So just to be clear here, you want to dismiss something ancient man believed was so valuable that he passed it down orally for thousands of years?

God saves 8 humans from the flood. The most He saved of any other animal was 7
So god saved way more animals. And killed a lot of humans.
No. It was an allegorical account of an actual historical event. Stop reading the Bible like it is a fairy tale. If you perceive God to be some magical fairy tale then everything you see will be skewed to that result. There won't be one single thing that you will agree with or accept. Whereas if you were trying to objectively analyze the evidence for spirit creating the material world you would be more open minded.

The first five books of the Bible (known as the Torah) were written by Moses - an adopted son of the king of Egypt - in approximately 1400 B.C.. These five books focus on the beginning of the nation of Israel; but the first 11 chapters of the Torah records the history that all nations have in common. These allegorical accounts of the history of the world had been passed down from generation to generation orally for thousands of years. Moses did not write the first 11 chapters of the Bible. Moses was the first Hebrew to record them.

Approximately 1500 years before Moses recorded the allegorical accounts of the history of the world. The Chinese recorded this history as symbols in the Chinese language. They drew pictures to express words or ideas. Simple pictures were combined to make more complex thoughts. They used well known history and common everyday things to make a word so people could easily remember it. The account of Genesis found it's way into the Chinese written language because the Chinese had migrated from the cradle of civilization. Prior to this migration they all shared a common history and religion.

The Bible even explains how it was possible for the Chinese to record the account of Genesis 1500 years before Moses recorded it. The account of the Tower of Babel was the allegorical account of the great migration from Mesopotamia. This also explains why all ancient cultures have an account of a great flood. Because they all shared a common history and religion before the great migration from the cradle of civilization.
So when did Adam eat the apple?
That is the allegorical account of man's nature. I'm sure you are well aware of that. Being how smart and all you are, right?
No, it’s a real event. So I hear...
That wasn't the question. The question was given your supreme intellect if you could maybe share ancient man's wisdom that he deemed worthy of passing on for thousands of years by sharing with each generation these accounts.

What was so special about this specific account?

Maybe this will help explain it. The first five books of the Bible (known as the Torah) were written by Moses - an adopted son of the king of Egypt - in approximately 1400 B.C..

Okay, you are starting out bad, here. Most scholars believe the books of the Torah were written well after Moses...

Only fundies think, "Yup, Moses wrote this stuff all down referring to himself in third person."

The Bible even explains how it was possible for the Chinese to record the account of Genesis 1500 years before Moses recorded it. The account of the Tower of Babel was the allegorical account of the great migration from Mesopotamia. This also explains why all ancient cultures have an account of a great flood. Because they all shared a common history and religion before the great migration from the cradle of civilization.

Or get this.. they were just recycling other people's OLDER stories. The video I posted has a pretty good explanation of the relationship between the Bible and the Epic of Gilgamesh and earlier flood accounts. (It also has a great bit at the end with Peter Capaldi - the guy in my Avi until next week - which is hilarious. )

Seen in this light these accounts should be viewed less like fairy tales and more like how important information was passed down in ancient times.
Of course, the rational thing to do is then to examine the actual value of this information. The information they were passing down was the product of ignorance, fear, truncated morality, and magical thinking.

But because people insist on holding as true a particular swath of this hilariously bad, magical information, we are still contending with it today. Still we have the pope all but creating epidemics in Africa. We have people holding down little boys and cutting their penises. We have people stomping their feet and insisting their iron age bigotry be codified into law.
I think we are on to something here as there seems to be a disconnect. Ancient man believed these accounts were supremely valuable. You don't, right?

Why don't you tell me what you think the account of the fall of man was all about. Then maybe I can see why you believe these people were idiots. Fair enough?

So god saved way more animals. And killed a lot of humans.
No. It was an allegorical account of an actual historical event. Stop reading the Bible like it is a fairy tale. If you perceive God to be some magical fairy tale then everything you see will be skewed to that result. There won't be one single thing that you will agree with or accept. Whereas if you were trying to objectively analyze the evidence for spirit creating the material world you would be more open minded.

The first five books of the Bible (known as the Torah) were written by Moses - an adopted son of the king of Egypt - in approximately 1400 B.C.. These five books focus on the beginning of the nation of Israel; but the first 11 chapters of the Torah records the history that all nations have in common. These allegorical accounts of the history of the world had been passed down from generation to generation orally for thousands of years. Moses did not write the first 11 chapters of the Bible. Moses was the first Hebrew to record them.

Approximately 1500 years before Moses recorded the allegorical accounts of the history of the world. The Chinese recorded this history as symbols in the Chinese language. They drew pictures to express words or ideas. Simple pictures were combined to make more complex thoughts. They used well known history and common everyday things to make a word so people could easily remember it. The account of Genesis found it's way into the Chinese written language because the Chinese had migrated from the cradle of civilization. Prior to this migration they all shared a common history and religion.

That is the allegorical account of man's nature. I'm sure you are well aware of that. Being how smart and all you are, right?
That wasn't the question. The question was given your supreme intellect if you could maybe share ancient man's wisdom that he deemed worthy of passing on for thousands of years by sharing with each generation these accounts.

Ancient man didn’t even have toilet paper. Let that sink in for a minute.

Maybe this will help explain it. The first five books of the Bible (known as the Torah) were written by Moses - an adopted son of the king of Egypt - in approximately 1400 B.C..

Okay, you are starting out bad, here. Most scholars believe the books of the Torah were written well after Moses...

Only fundies think, "Yup, Moses wrote this stuff all down referring to himself in third person."

Or get this.. they were just recycling other people's OLDER stories. The video I posted has a pretty good explanation of the relationship between the Bible and the Epic of Gilgamesh and earlier flood accounts. (It also has a great bit at the end with Peter Capaldi - the guy in my Avi until next week - which is hilarious. )
Then if that is correct the accounts were passed down orally for even longer making them even more valuable and important.

My point is that they aren't fairy tales. They are allegorical accounts of world history that all nations share because before the great migration from the cradle of civilization it was a shared history and religion by everyone.

I bet they were happier than you. ;)

No, Joe. Before the great migration they had a shared history.

Why? Are you happy when you have no bumwad?

My point is that they aren't fairy tales. They are allegorical accounts of world history that all nations share because before the great migration from the cradle of civilization it was a shared history and religion by everyone.

Um, no the book with the talking snakes, giants, talking donkeys, etc... are definitely fairy tales.

So the migration started when the ark came to rest in Turkey?

And they got all the way to South America and Australia...
And don't forget, they took all the apparently indigenous flora and fauna with them, but had to carry it and completely consume the corpses and dead plants, so as not to leave any remains, fossils, or footprints. Apparently they had to consume all the feces as well. Imagine....trekking across the desert, carrying potted plants and kangaroos, with a mouthful of kangaroo shit...sounds terrible....

Why? Are you happy when you have no bumwad?
Why so angry?

So the migration started when the ark came to rest in Turkey?
Not sure. The flood came first that much I know.

And they got all the way to South America and Australia...
And don't forget, they took all the apparently indigenous flora and fauna with them, but had to carry it and completely consume the corpses and dead plants, so as not to leave any remains, fossils, or footprints. Apparently they had to consume all the feces as well. Imagine....trekking across the desert, carrying potted plants and kangaroos, with a mouthful of kangaroo shit...sounds terrible....
I'm not the one who is shitting all over ancient historical documents.

I can't help it if the concept of how information was passed down 6,000 years ago is to difficult to comprehend.

Um, no the book with the talking snakes, giants, talking donkeys, etc... are definitely fairy tales.
Nope. Allegorical accounts of world history told in a parable fashion so that the accounts could more easily be remembered.

You have just proven that ancient man literally knew more than you did.

again, that's kind of sounds like the reasoning of an abusive spouse. Don't do stuff to get me mad and I won't punish you.
Can you stop being silly?

Scripture tells us sins are forgiven. In other words, God gives us words of guidance, and our transgressions are forgiven. I understand you want to paint a picture of God as villain and yourself as victim, but when using the original history, language, and culture, that will not fly. Perhaps it is time to let that little boy grow up and become a man. Or, is there reason still to wallow in self-pity? You do not understand scripture, and worse, you do not want any understanding of it. Understandable then--not so much now.

Forum List

Back