Are You Going to Hell?

Nothing doing, not when you use a broad brush.
Transparent whining. The broadness of the brush only bothers you when it is your particular,preferred nugget of magical nonsense that is included. Then, suddenly, you conflate it with contempt for you, personally, because you internalize your magical beliefs.

So, you use this as a contrived, convenient little cudgel to avoid the difference between contempt for faith and contempt for those practicing it. And you do this because you are lazy and simple and want to cling to low hanging fruit that is easier for you to contend with. And you do this because it makes it easier to justify your own behavior.

I've seen this re-run before.
They aren't magical beliefs. If you start from the belief that the first eleven chapters of the Torah are an allegorical account of world history before the great migration from Mesopotamia - which was an actual historical event - then the first eleven chapters of the Torah takes on new meaning. Seen in this light these accounts should be viewed less like fairy tales and more like how important information was passed down in ancient times. Just as the Chinese used well known history and everyday things as symbols in their written language to make words easier to remember, ancient man used stories to pass down historical events and important knowledge to future generations. Interspersed in these allegorical accounts of history are wisdoms that they deemed important enough to pass down and remember. Such as man knows right from wrong and when he violates it, rather than abandoning the concept of right and wrong he rationalizes he didn't do wrong. Most people don't even realize this wisdom is in the Torah because they read it critically instead of searching for the wisdom that ancient man knew and found important enough to include in his account of world history.

We have to keep in mind that these accounts are 6,000 years old and were passed down orally from one generation to the next for thousands of years. Surely ancient man believed these accounts were of the utmost importance otherwise they would not have been passed down for thousands of years before they were recorded in writing. We shouldn't view these accounts using the context of the modern world. Unfortunately, we are so far removed from these events that we have lost all original meaning. If you were to ask almost any Jew what the Tower of Babel was about he would have no clue that it was the allegorical account of the great migration from the cradle of civilization. That is not intended to be a criticism. It is intended to be an illustration of just how difficult a task it is to discover the original meaning from ancient accounts from 6,000 years ago. We read these texts like they were written yesterday looking for ways to discredit them and make ourselves feel superior rather than seeking the original meaning and wisdom.

Chapter 1 and 2 of Genesis is the allegorical account of creation. Specifically, that the universe did have a beginning and that man is a product of the universe. At the heart of this debate is whether or not the material world was created by spirit or not. But you have never seriously undertaken this evaluation because you perceive God to be some magical fairy tale. Everything you see is skewed to that result. There is not one single thing that you will agree with or accept. Whereas if we were trying to objectively analyze the evidence for spirit creating the material world you would consider all of the evidence.

Forgive me but I dont
Of course, that's a shamless lie, and you know it. How embarrassing. In reality, we should all be more suspect that the person carrying around the instruction book for these actions is the one guilty of them. That would be you

Is it?

What’s your position on Roe v Wade again?

If you believe that God is a prick you will become a prick whether you believe in God or not..
God would rather save kangaroos then save humans drowning. If not a prick, then what?

Last time I checked, humans Were saved. I’m pretty sure both you and I are human
God saved more animals than humans.
It's an allegorical account of a historical event, Taz. Don't get too emotional over it.
I like my fairy tale more. It has kangaroos in it. :biggrin:
Who doesn't? That's probably why they included those details; to make the account easier to remember.

If you believe that God is a prick you will become a prick whether you believe in God or not..
God would rather save kangaroos then save humans drowning. If not a prick, then what?

Last time I checked, humans Were saved. I’m pretty sure both you and I are human

God saves 8 humans from the flood. The most He saved of any other animal was 7
So god saved way more animals. And killed a lot of humans.

No. It was an allegorical account of an actual historical event. Stop reading the Bible like it is a fairy tale. If you perceive God to be some magical fairy tale then everything you see will be skewed to that result. There won't be one single thing that you will agree with or accept. Whereas if you were trying to objectively analyze the evidence for spirit creating the material world you would be more open minded.

The first five books of the Bible (known as the Torah) were written by Moses - an adopted son of the king of Egypt - in approximately 1400 B.C.. These five books focus on the beginning of the nation of Israel; but the first 11 chapters of the Torah records the history that all nations have in common. These allegorical accounts of the history of the world had been passed down from generation to generation orally for thousands of years. Moses did not write the first 11 chapters of the Bible. Moses was the first Hebrew to record them.

Approximately 1500 years before Moses recorded the allegorical accounts of the history of the world. The Chinese recorded this history as symbols in the Chinese language. They drew pictures to express words or ideas. Simple pictures were combined to make more complex thoughts. They used well known history and common everyday things to make a word so people could easily remember it. The account of Genesis found it's way into the Chinese written language because the Chinese had migrated from the cradle of civilization. Prior to this migration they all shared a common history and religion.

The Bible even explains how it was possible for the Chinese to record the account of Genesis 1500 years before Moses recorded it. The account of the Tower of Babel was the allegorical account of the great migration from Mesopotamia. This also explains why all ancient cultures have an account of a great flood. Because they all shared a common history and religion before the great migration from the cradle of civilization.

To begin with, the premise is wrong (something I learned as a child). Second, the first four commandments are for our benefit, not God's. It sets the type of priorities we should have for a fulfilling and peaceful life.

again, that's kind of sounds like the reasoning of an abusive spouse. Don't do stuff to get me mad and I won't punish you.

820.jpg

This perspective has nothing to do with a fragile ego, but rather someone who cares about our lives. Thus, fragile ego aside, we can open our eyes to a more in depth look at God and what He reveals about Himself. Notice His vulnerability. He comes to us as a child; in doing so, He is not above death; He needs the help of physical beings to assist others; He is not found in power and might, but rather the tiniest of whispers.

Does this work on the Rubes at Church? Epicurus got this right millennia ago.

HQTx0i8.jpg

To begin with, the premise is wrong (something I learned as a child). Second, the first four commandments are for our benefit, not God's. It sets the type of priorities we should have for a fulfilling and peaceful life.

again, that's kind of sounds like the reasoning of an abusive spouse. Don't do stuff to get me mad and I won't punish you.

820.jpg

This perspective has nothing to do with a fragile ego, but rather someone who cares about our lives. Thus, fragile ego aside, we can open our eyes to a more in depth look at God and what He reveals about Himself. Notice His vulnerability. He comes to us as a child; in doing so, He is not above death; He needs the help of physical beings to assist others; He is not found in power and might, but rather the tiniest of whispers.

Does this work on the Rubes at Church? Epicurus got this right millennia ago.

HQTx0i8.jpg
So you are saying secular laws are like abuses spouses too?

The Bible even explains how it was possible for the Chinese to record the account of Genesis 1500 years before Moses recorded it. The account of the Tower of Babel was the allegorical account of the great migration from Mesopotamia. This also explains why all ancient cultures have an account of a great flood. Because they all shared a common history and religion before the great migration from the cradle of civilization.

Or they had flood myths because they lived in a time when floods were a common hazard. What's worse than that flood that just wiped out your family? An even bigger flood.

Or they had flood myths because they lived in a time when floods were a common hazard. What's worse than that flood that just wiped out your family? An even bigger flood.

No, Joe. It was enough of a major event that they passed down the account orally from one generation to the next for thousands of years before it got recorded in writing. Surely ancient man believed these accounts were of the utmost importance otherwise they would not have been passed down for thousands of years before they were recorded in writing. We shouldn't view these accounts using the context of the modern world. Unfortunately, we are so far removed from these events that we have lost all original meaning. If you were to ask almost any Jew what the Tower of Babel was about he would have no clue that it was the allegorical account of the great migration from the cradle of civilization. That is not intended to be a criticism. It is intended to be an illustration of just how difficult a task it is to discover the original meaning from ancient accounts from 6,000 years ago. We read these texts like they were written yesterday looking for ways to discredit them and make ourselves feel superior rather than seeking the original meaning and wisdom.

No, Joe. It was enough of a major event that they passed down the account orally from one generation to the next for thousands of years before it got recorded in writing. Surely ancient man believed these accounts were of the utmost importance otherwise they would not have been passed down for thousands of years before they were recorded in writing. We shouldn't view these accounts using the context of the modern world. Unfortunately, we are so far removed from these events that we have lost all original meaning. If you were to ask almost any Jew what the Tower of Babel was about he would have no clue that it was the allegorical account of the great migration from the cradle of civilization. That is not intended to be a criticism. It is intended to be an illustration of just how difficult a task it is to discover the original meaning from ancient accounts from 6,000 years ago. We read these texts like they were written yesterday looking for ways to discredit them and make ourselves feel superior rather than seeking the original meaning and wisdom.

I have no doubt Flood Stories were probably inspired by the massive amount of flooding that must have been going on at the end of the ice age.

But the silliness of a world wide flood and all species on earth descending from pairs of survivors... they'd have gone extinct due to inbreeding within generations.

The stories in the bible are MYTHS, not history.

I have no doubt Flood Stories were probably inspired by the massive amount of flooding that must have been going on at the end of the ice age.

But the silliness of a world wide flood and all species on earth descending from pairs of survivors... they'd have gone extinct due to inbreeding within generations.

The stories in the bible are MYTHS, not history.
Maybe this will help explain it. The first five books of the Bible (known as the Torah) were written by Moses - an adopted son of the king of Egypt - in approximately 1400 B.C.. These five books focus on the beginning of the nation of Israel; but the first 11 chapters of the Torah records the history that all nations have in common. These allegorical accounts of the history of the world had been passed down from generation to generation orally for thousands of years. Moses did not write the first 11 chapters of the Bible. Moses was the first Hebrew to record them.

Approximately 1500 years before Moses recorded the allegorical accounts of the history of the world. The Chinese recorded this history as symbols in the Chinese language. They drew pictures to express words or ideas. Simple pictures were combined to make more complex thoughts. They used well known history and common everyday things to make a word so people could easily remember it. The account of Genesis found it's way into the Chinese written language because the Chinese had migrated from the cradle of civilization. Prior to this migration they all shared a common history and religion.

So if we start from the belief that the first eleven chapters of the Torah are an allegorical account of world history before the great migration from Mesopotamia - which was an actual historical event - then the first eleven chapters of the Torah takes on new meaning. Seen in this light these accounts should be viewed less like fairy tales and more like how important information was passed down in ancient times. Just as the Chinese used well known history and everyday things as symbols in their written language to make words easier to remember, ancient man used stories to pass down historical events and important knowledge to future generations. Interspersed in these allegorical accounts of history are wisdoms that they deemed important enough to pass down and remember. Such as man knows right from wrong and when he violates it, rather than abandoning the concept of right and wrong he rationalizes he didn't do wrong. Most people don't even realize this wisdom is in the Torah because they read it critically instead of searching for the wisdom that ancient man knew and found important enough to include in his account of world history.

We have to keep in mind that these accounts are 6,000 years old and were passed down orally from one generation to the next for thousands of years. Surely ancient man believed these accounts were of the utmost importance otherwise they would not have been passed down for thousands of years before they were recorded in writing. We shouldn't view these accounts using the context of the modern world. Unfortunately, we are so far removed from these events that we have lost all original meaning. If you were to ask almost any Jew what the Tower of Babel was about he would have no clue that it was the allegorical account of the great migration from the cradle of civilization. That is not intended to be a criticism. It is intended to be an illustration of just how difficult a task it is to discover the original meaning from ancient accounts from 6,000 years ago. We read these texts like they were written yesterday looking for ways to discredit them and make ourselves feel superior rather than seeking the original meaning and wisdom.

No. It was an allegorical account of an actual historical event. Stop reading the Bible like it is a fairy tale. If you perceive God to be some magical fairy tale then everything you see will be skewed to that result. There won't be one single thing that you will agree with or accept. Whereas if you were trying to objectively analyze the evidence for spirit creating the material world you would be more open minded.

The first five books of the Bible (known as the Torah) were written by Moses - an adopted son of the king of Egypt - in approximately 1400 B.C.. These five books focus on the beginning of the nation of Israel; but the first 11 chapters of the Torah records the history that all nations have in common. These allegorical accounts of the history of the world had been passed down from generation to generation orally for thousands of years. Moses did not write the first 11 chapters of the Bible. Moses was the first Hebrew to record them.

So when did Adam eat the apple?

That is the allegorical account of man's nature. I'm sure you are well aware of that. Being how smart and all you are, right?

Seen in this light these accounts should be viewed less like fairy tales and more like how important information was passed down in ancient times.
Of course, the rational thing to do is then to examine the actual value of this information. The information they were passing down was the product of ignorance, fear, truncated morality, and magical thinking.

But because people insist on holding as true a particular swath of this hilariously bad, magical information, we are still contending with it today. Still we have the pope all but creating epidemics in Africa. We have people holding down little boys and cutting their penises. We have people stomping their feet and insisting their iron age bigotry be codified into law.

That is the allegorical account of man's nature. I'm sure you are well aware of that. Being how smart and all you are, right?
No, it’s a real event. So I hear...

Forum List

Back