Are You Outraged by This Pepsi Commercial?

vlad_hombre

VIP Member
Feb 7, 2017
If so, why?

I watched and thought it was stupid, but I don't understand all of the hubbub.

This has exploded on social media, and Pepsi has now pulled the ad.

I can't understand the video, much less why it is controversial.

I am not outraged, but disappointed. Every second and every frame of a commercial like this is examined. There are things about this video that are offensive and the producers knew what they were doing.

Which frames were offensive to you.

The only thing that offended me was the vapidity.

There are things about this video that are offensive and the producers knew what they were doing.

How did it offend your whiny snowflake sensibilities? Seriously, I have no clue.

It'll take a bunch more than that to outrage me

If so, why?

/----"Now, about this Pepsi ad, what this really is — or what really has the left agitated here is — that these protests are serious things. They’re really serious, and they’re engaged in by really committed people against genuine fascist, authoritarian pigs like Trump. And to have Pepsi go in there and claim that giving a cop a Pepsi will make the protesters stop protesting is offensive. It’s absurd! And now Pepsi is hated. Pepsi is despised. Twitter last night blew up against Pepsi for, quote, “appropriating anti-Trump resistance to sell soda.”
So they went in there and made the protesters look like they were anti-Trump people and that they could be bought off and silenced with a cop accepting a gift of Pepsi in the midst of the protest. Now, as an adjunct to this, you know, I study advertising to a certain extent, because I think it gives us a clue as to our culture. Advertisers’ main objective is to separate people from their money, and so advertising has to be culturally relevant. It has to be hip, at least to the audience targeted." - Rush

1. They pulled the commercial because it would cost $70 million every time they wanted to run the damn thing. Good God was that long and painful.
  2. It was incredibly stupid but I saw nothing even remotely controversial there
  3. Only snowflakes get "outraged". Normal people could give a shit either way

If so, why?

/----"Now, about this Pepsi ad, what this really is — or what really has the left agitated here is — that these protests are serious things. They’re really serious, and they’re engaged in by really committed people against genuine fascist, authoritarian pigs like Trump. And to have Pepsi go in there and claim that giving a cop a Pepsi will make the protesters stop protesting is offensive. It’s absurd! And now Pepsi is hated. Pepsi is despised. Twitter last night blew up against Pepsi for, quote, “appropriating anti-Trump resistance to sell soda.”
So they went in there and made the protesters look like they were anti-Trump people and that they could be bought off and silenced with a cop accepting a gift of Pepsi in the midst of the protest. Now, as an adjunct to this, you know, I study advertising to a certain extent, because I think it gives us a clue as to our culture. Advertisers’ main objective is to separate people from their money, and so advertising has to be culturally relevant. It has to be hip, at least to the audience targeted." - Rush

If that's accurate - what a profound indictment on the left. Instead of embracing a positive message about ending riots and coming together, they get "outraged" over if?!?

I am not outraged, but disappointed. Every second and every frame of a commercial like this is examined. There are things about this video that are offensive and the producers knew what they were doing.

Which frames were offensive to you.

The only thing that offended me was the vapidity.
It did not offend me. I said there were things that are offensive, meaning offensive to some, but not necessarily others. It is anti-trump and pro trump protester. The lead, the model, tosses away the elite status and joins the diverse people marching and protesting. Eventually, an understanding is made with the authority figure, the cop who accepts the Pepsi. The message, protesting is good. Protesting is a positive for the new generation.

Now, about this Pepsi ad, what this really is — or what really has the left agitated here is — that these protests are serious things. They’re really serious, and they’re engaged in by really committed people against genuine fascist, authoritarian pigs like Trump. And to have Pepsi go in there and claim that giving a cop a Pepsi will make the protesters stop protesting is offensive. It’s absurd!

Man, Americans are so easily triggered. What a bunch of pussies!

On a separate note, I realize that ads are always targeted to a specific market.

The gay ads bother me.

The airhead ads bother me.

The jap scrap car ads bother me.

The dessert gluttony ads bother me.

Deceitful advertising bothers me.

Political ads bother me.

But I do like the Victoria's Secret slutty ads.

And the pizza ads.

:D

Now, about this Pepsi ad, what this really is — or what really has the left agitated here is — that these protests are serious things. They’re really serious, and they’re engaged in by really committed people against genuine fascist, authoritarian pigs like Trump. And to have Pepsi go in there and claim that giving a cop a Pepsi will make the protesters stop protesting is offensive. It’s absurd!

Man, Americans are so easily triggered. What a bunch of pussies!
I just hit the mute button on the remote.

All that work by Camp to analyze the ad and I even agree, but then I am forced to put him/her onto my ignore list because he/she is too lame to choose an avatar !!

Pity !!

Last edited:
If so, why?

I was wondering what the fuss was about.

Kind of stupid, but it is nice that protesters are seen as powerful enough to be pandered to.

Forum List

Back