Army Fires Officers After Ordering Them to Move

Manchurian muslim sends another 300 soldiers to Iraq....total now 750!

More US troops to Iraq, total to about 750 | News Tribune

So it begins, but were NOT on the way to any war...Vietnam started the same way! Those 2 digit's of you supposed IQ keep getting smaller, when YOU know nothing about what's going on around you! Moron!

Oh ....THAT war

750 soldiers is more than enough reason for our rightwing war mongers to justify a military buildup

LBJ did the exact same thing in Vietnam, but you probably were sperm when that happened, or still in public school!

Too many of our friends died or were wounded badly for you to talk so freely.

LBJ was wrong, and so was Nixon to keep it going.

I went to Korea and Alaska and Panama among other places during and after that time but not Vietnam, for which I have ever been grateful. Running around in the DMZ made sense, taking out Noriega made sense, but Vietnam was a colossal fuck up for which 300,000 service personnel and their families paid horrible prices. Iraq I under Bush the Elder made sense. Afghanistan until the winter of 2002-2003 made sense, which Iraq II never did.

Our neo-cons who try to get us to send a massive force again to the ME must be jailed.

Ending "Up or Out"

"Many people are confused when career US military officers complain about the "up or out" career system. Organizations cannot promote everyone to the ranks of Vice President (e.g. General officer), so most civilian careers stall in the middle management ranks. While these "passed-over" employees are disappointed, they continue to work and gain experience until they retire in their 60s. This was the case in the US military until the end of World War II, which left a huge surplus of officers. As a result, Congress enacted laws to cut careers short by retiring older officers to trim the force.

The basics of these laws (known as DOMPA) require that O-3s (officers at level three, Army, Air Force and Marine Corps Captains and Navy Lieutenants) be considered for promotion after 10 years in service, and require that around 20% are "passed-over" and denied promotion. They are given another chance the following year, and then discharged if passed-over again. Over 98% of officers who fail promotion the first time fail again the next year. At the 15-year mark, O-4s go through this process, and 30% must be passed-over and retired. At the 20-year mark, O-5s are reviewed, yet only 50% can be promoted while the rest are retired. An O-6 is allowed to serve 30 years, then must retire unless he is one of the few chosen to become a General or Admiral. This seems like a simple advancement system, but causes tremendous problems as it forces out most career officers in their early 40s......"

Anyone still an O3/Captain after 11 years knows what's coming: it has been common practice for quite a few decades.

It is sad for these people, yes. It isn't clear how much formal notice they are being given, but the stats are there and these folks should be able to do the math. What isn't clear from the article is if regs are really being followed: if they are, there isn't much to be done except change the regs. And that isn't all that easy.

Oh ....THAT war

750 soldiers is more than enough reason for our rightwing war mongers to justify a military buildup

LBJ did the exact same thing in Vietnam, but you probably were sperm when that happened, or still in public school!

Too many of our friends died or were wounded badly for you to talk so freely.

LBJ was wrong, and so was Nixon to keep it going.

I went to Korea and Alaska and Panama among other places during and after that time but not Vietnam, for which I have ever been grateful. Running around in the DMZ made sense, taking out Noriega made sense, but Vietnam was a colossal fuck up for which 300,000 service personnel and their families paid horrible prices. Iraq I under Bush the Elder made sense. Afghanistan until the winter of 2002-2003 made sense, which Iraq II never did.

Our neo-cons who try to get us to send a massive force again to the ME must be jailed.

What branch did you serve in, child? What was your MOS, did you see action, or just left back in the boat? I was a 36c20, running wire in Nam, saw my fair share of fire fights, and count myself very lucky to still be here, many of my brothers left here while being besides me! ....one reason I have nothing to lose if I am called on by my patriot brothers to dispatch subversives, IF and WHEN it comes down to that and my old ass can still aim!

Funny Mr. Chamberlain, we seem to have heard that plaintiff cry before, in 1939 I believe! It will indeed have the same effect today, history almost always repeats itself!

I imagine that many, if not most of these so called CAREER OFFICERS went through West Point, with the specific desire to serve and protect this country.
Perhaps they can now do something productive with their taxpayer funded educations.

Cadets at West Point do not pay tuition, room or board. They are considered active duty Army with the rank of Cadet and assigned to study at the United States Military Academy. Unless the law changes they are not deployable and they get paid. Before you get too excited, they also pay for all their issued items: uniforms and gear and this takes a big chunk out of the pay.

Since there are currently THOUSANDS of college graduated civilians UNABLE to get jobs, and would be likely to take jobs at a lesser pay than a man that has gotten his degree and gone through4 or more years of active service, the odds are that these men that put their lives on the line for their country would be passed over, for CHEAPER, yet qualified much younger people.

This happens all the time after wars are over. Happened after WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War, etc...

I imagine that many, if not most of these so called CAREER OFFICERS went through West Point, with the specific desire to serve and protect this country.
Perhaps they can now do something productive with their taxpayer funded educations.

Cadets at West Point do not pay tuition, room or board. They are considered active duty Army with the rank of Cadet and assigned to study at the United States Military Academy. Unless the law changes they are not deployable and they get paid. Before you get too excited, they also pay for all their issued items: uniforms and gear and this takes a big chunk out of the pay.

Since there are currently THOUSANDS of college graduated civilians UNABLE to get jobs, and would be likely to take jobs at a lesser pay than a man that has gotten his degree and gone through4 or more years of active service, the odds are that these men that put their lives on the line for their country would be passed over, for CHEAPER, yet qualified much younger people.

Military has drawdowns all the time. An officers career is never a given

Yes, West Point is an overpriced boondoggle, given that it costs $400,000 to produce one 2LT from West Point. You can get ones that are just as good from ROTC for a lot less, or if you are really smart, you can take a college educated enlisted man, put him through OCS and get an officer who REALLY knows what is going on.

BUt to the point. We don't need a bloated military if we aren't going to be fighting a war.

Here's the part Vagisil Left out.

After growing in size to 570,000 soldiers in 2008 at the height of the war in Iraq, the Army has less than 520,000 soldiers today and is on pace to shrink to 490,000 soldiers by next year. It's bracing for even further contraction driven by automatic budget cuts known as sequestration.

Wait. I thought you wingnuts said Sequestration was a good thing!

RWs always whine about the results of what the damn Repubs do but they refuse to vote for their own best interest.

They "support" the troops right up until its time to actually

SUPPORT THE TROOPS.

What branch did you serve in, child?

Did you serve as I did, Rep Frog Boy II?

Where and what did you do Rep Frog Boy II?

Ahh that is cute, someone thinks having been in the military gives him some trump card where all his stupid posts are somehow validated. The same retard who thought most officers graduated from West Point.

It doesn't, you're still wrong and you're still stupid and trying to wiggle out from being made to look like an ass in this thread with the constant stream of "did you serve" doesn't validate you.

After growing in size to 570,000 soldiers in 2008 at the height of the war in Iraq, the Army has less than 520,000 soldiers today and is on pace to shrink to 490,000 soldiers by next year. It's bracing for even further contraction driven by automatic budget cuts known as sequestration.

RWs always whine about the results of what the damn Repubs do but they refuse to vote for their own best interest.

They "support" the troops right up until its time to actually

SUPPORT THE TROOPS.

Rep. Joe Wilson, R-S.C., chairman of the HASC military personnel subcommittee, justified the draft budget, saying there should not be a tradeoff between benefits such as supermarket savings and warfighting equipment. Many Republicans worry such cuts could erode the force and ultimately be as harmful to national defense as losing ships and planes.

Did you serve as I did, Rep Frog Boy II?

Ahh that is cute, someone thinks having been in the military gives him some trump card where all his stupid posts are somehow validated. The same retard who thought most officers graduated from West Point.

It doesn't, you're still wrong and you're still stupid and trying to wiggle out from being made to look like an ass in this thread with the constant stream of "did you serve" doesn't validate you.

Well, did you serve, child?

Well, did you serve, child?

Just because you serve does not mean you're some sort of authority on all military issues. In your MOS yes...but for every single military issues probably not.

And before you ask, yes I did serve.

Sequestration belongs to Obama.

Would be better to see 5000 IRS scumbags get the boot!

Fox ^

The Army last week began notifying about 1,100 captains that they will be purged from the ranks. The same fate is awaiting about 500 majors, who beginning this week will be told their active-duty careers are over. They're among nearly 2,500 officers and NCOs who will be involuntarily separated this year as part of an ongoing drawdown of forces. ... some officers who were let go are scrambling to find a home, as well as a job. Thankfully for the captain who's expecting his first child, his landlord is allowing him and his wife to continue to rent the house...

Happens after every war ends. They either get a nice severance or retirement.

Just because you serve does not mean you're some sort of authority on all military issues. In your MOS yes...but for every single military issues probably not.
Exactly.

He's pathetically resorted to falling back on throwing "did you serve child?" at everyone instead of making any attempt to defend his position, a clear indicator he knows he's out of his depth in his own stupid thread.

Wait. I thou

Mocking the OP is childish, these military families still face hardship(.)
ght you wingnuts said Sequestration was a good thing!

a. See my last post.
b. At least they get to come home in one piece.

Forum List

Back