Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

Completed the friendship star log cabin and worked on cutting more red and white strips yesterday.

One of my talented artist friends and I drove our machine up to Tyler to have them repaired by one of the nearest dealers. We stopped at 3 quilt shops. I have about 70 new red and white fabrics (half light and half dark) to work on scrap red and whites. Not sure If I will be able to do a one-woman quilt show again. Eight really was enough, but if I limit the size of the works, the galleries may be large enough to accommodate my shows. I'm so excited. I spent at least 2 hours already cutting red and whites. I have several hours ahead to do cuttings for several of my little works. I'm truly happy with the way things are going lately.

If anyone here drops by, and likes anything you saw on the thread, and say so, it's a springboard for the person who is finishing projects. Just sayin'. :eusa_whistle:

Oh, yes, I put a frield of Texas flowers fabric as the border to the Texas Friendship Star and map quilt.

I'm saving pieces of the reds from the half-yards I've been accumulating to make another red and white butterfly quilt. I really should be doing this while I have all those hundreds of red and white fabrics out of the boxes their leftovers will return to. *sigh* If you're new and see a thumbnail below, click it and it gets bigger, hopefully. :)

Attachments

• $beckis butterfly red and white, circa 1995.jpg
    $beckis butterfly red and white, circa 1995.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 18
Probably cut 600 red and white quilt strips 1.75" and assorted other sizes in the last 4 days, possibly more, from at least 200 fabrics and maybe more.

I also perused the red and white quilt coffers of America...

(1) A String-Heart quilt
(2) A Mariner's Compass quilt
(3) White Schoolhouse on Red (reversed) quilt

Attachments

• $String heart 3.JPG
    $String heart 3.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 67.2 KB · Views: 23
  • $schoolhouse top with reverse ground.jpg
    $schoolhouse top with reverse ground.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 20
Working on Double Four-Patch quilt squares, lately. The small squares measure 1.25" and the regular squares measure 2.5." The ones below are joined squares that measure 5.5" unfinished and will finish measuring 5" across the quilt width and length, provided all goes well. The squares pictures need "squaring up." To square up a quilt square that has uneven edges, you would simply use a 5 1/2" cutting template. Because of their smaller size, I was able to get 2 squares per picture on the scanner as shown below in pictures 1, 2, and 3 Double Four-Patches:

As a little misplaced footnote, if you click on one of the pictures, you can see what beautiful fabrics are out there these days for quilters to pick from in doing quiltmaking.

I found another 4 quilt tops that I finished last year to take down to the quilter's closet. I don't know how they got overlooked, but I just need to get them out of the house and to the quilter's closet so someone can quilt them. :)

Attachments

• $Double Four-Patch1.jpg
    $Double Four-Patch1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 23
  • $Double Four-Patch2.jpg
    $Double Four-Patch2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 18
  • $Double Four-Patch3.jpg
    $Double Four-Patch3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Below are Double Four-Patch pictures of 2 squares each: 4, 5, and 6:

Attachments

• $Double Four-Patch6.jpg
    $Double Four-Patch6.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 14
  • $Double Four-Patch5.jpg
    $Double Four-Patch5.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 24
  • $Double Four-Patch4.jpg
    $Double Four-Patch4.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
In calculating a width of 50 and a length of 70, one would need 10x14 5" squares or 140 squares. With there being a mere 12 squares above, I really have my work cut out for me getting 128 more squares done before my patriotic charity quilt mission is accomplished. Fortunately, every minute I spend in front of the sewing machine is pure joy, so it will make for a few very happy hours of my life to do this work. :)

Whew! A hundred red and white log cabin blocks -- done! :)

Now, for deciding how to place them. Above are examples of fields and furrows log cabin, hero star log cabin, and several others. More below:

(1) Uneven Heart Log Cabin Picture Credits and How-Tos

(2) Barn Raising Log Cabin Picture Credits

(3) Red Log Cabin Chinese lanterns or Courthouse Steps Picture Credits

Attachments

• $Log Cabin Red and white heart.jpg
    $Log Cabin Red and white heart.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 32
  • $Barn Raising Log Cabin in Red and White.jpg
    $Barn Raising Log Cabin in Red and White.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 29
  • $courthouse steps log cabin.jpg
    $courthouse steps log cabin.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 20
While out scavenging the web in hopeless pursuit of all the named log cabin variations there are, I ran into a quilt that might interest sunshine. I know she's busy doing crafts, but fwiw, here is an example of a simple celtic design for a quilt that I would love to do in red and white, if I ever do a quilt show, that is. The page I found the celtic quilt on has full illustrated construction methods on how to get the complex block to work.

simple-celtic-knot-quilt-block-800x800.jpg

Photo Credits: How to make a simple Celtic knot quilt block

Here you go, becki:

Quiltblock001.jpg

Forgive me for being so technologically challenged. You have forced me to learn something.

It seems the stamp isn't getting picked up well along with the color. What do you need? Would you like just the stamped pattern? Better placement? The whole thing in 4 sections? Just tell me what to do.

Last edited:
Ok Becki....sorry it has taken me so long, time isn't on my side.......this is just one of the quilts that my Aunt made for me, made from my Mother's clothing.
She asked me what color background I wanted, and I said white....because I love the color white.....and the quilt hangs in my bedroom, which is decorated in pink and white......so it was a great match.
All of the heart shapes are pieces of my Mother's shirts and blouses. And I have never washed it.....so it still carries the scent of my Mother, to this day.......cause her clothing had her scent..she wore an awesome perfume and it just lingers there on the quilt.
I have never wrapped myself in this particular quilt, because I don't want to get it dirty, so it hangs for display only. But she made me one with a burgundy background and it's on the back of my sofa, I'll try and get a pic of it on here too.
I love this quilt.....I think my Aunt did a great job. I couldn't bare to part with my Mother's clothes, so this way.....I was able to save them....and yet, they weren't packed away in totes, taking up space *smiles*

Attachments

• $quilt.jpg
    $quilt.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 31
Ok Becki....sorry it has taken me so long, time isn't on my side.......this is just one of the quilts that my Aunt made for me, made from my Mother's clothing.
She asked me what color background I wanted, and I said white....because I love the color white.....and the quilt hangs in my bedroom, which is decorated in pink and white......so it was a great match.
All of the heart shapes are pieces of my Mother's shirts and blouses. And I have never washed it.....so it still carries the scent of my Mother, to this day.......cause her clothing had her scent..she wore an awesome perfume and it just lingers there on the quilt.
I have never wrapped myself in this particular quilt, because I don't want to get it dirty, so it hangs for display only. But she made me one with a burgundy background and it's on the back of my sofa, I'll try and get a pic of it on here too.
I love this quilt.....I think my Aunt did a great job. I couldn't bare to part with my Mother's clothes, so this way.....I was able to save them....and yet, they weren't packed away in totes, taking up space *smiles*

What perfume did she wear?

Charley.

She sometimes wore some fragrances from Avon, but Charley was her all time favorite :)

Here you go, becki:

Quiltblock001.jpg

Forgive me for being so technologically challenged. You have forced me to learn something.

It seems the stamp isn't getting picked up well along with the color. What do you need? Would you like just the stamped pattern? Better placement? The whole thing in 4 sections? Just tell me what to do.
Please forgive the long delay, Sunshine. I didn't know you'd posted here in a while, and I've been sewing like mad on sundry red quilt tops, having left 10 at the quilter's closet since Jan. 1.

Oh, I was just curious what the outer corner would look like, Sunshine. Your work is so exquisite. I've seen a lot of cross-stitched quilts, but your work is a lovely expression of what good work is. I already saw a completed inside, but this closeup shows two distinct greens I didn't quite pick up in the first one. As I recollect, the pattern appeared symmetric east and west and symmetric north and south. Therefore, seeing one corner completed with some of the center in it would be sufficient to satisfy my silly curiousity. I've quilted in one way or another since 1966, and I love just about every type of quilting except those types that do serious damage to a quilt machine. *sigh*

Thanks! Again, I apologize for not seeing your post for 3 days. My eyes are not as smart as they used to be this year. My doctor told me to use drops, but I keep forgetting to lube, so I'm not picking up details when I scroll down the USMB menu as well lately.

Here you go, becki:

Quiltblock001.jpg

Please forgive the long delay, Sunshine. I didn't know you'd posted here in a while, and I've been sewing like mad on sundry red quilt tops, having left 10 at the quilter's closet since Jan. 1.

Oh, I was just curious what the outer corner would look like, Sunshine. Your work is so exquisite. I've seen a lot of cross-stitched quilts, but your work is a lovely expression of what good work is. I already saw a completed inside, but this closeup shows two distinct greens I didn't quite pick up in the first one. As I recollect, the pattern appeared symmetric east and west and symmetric north and south. Therefore, seeing one corner completed with some of the center in it would be sufficient to satisfy my silly curiousity. I've quilted in one way or another since 1966, and I love just about every type of quilting except those types that do serious damage to a quilt machine. *sigh*

Thanks! Again, I apologize for not seeing your post for 3 days. My eyes are not as smart as they used to be this year. My doctor told me to use drops, but I keep forgetting to lube, so I'm not picking up details when I scroll down the USMB menu as well lately.

Yes, it is a symmetrical pattern. And there ARE two shades of green. I thought using two shades would give more depth.

Take care of those eyes. If you use the drops two times a day, put the next to something else you do two times a day. That way you won't forget. My patients forget their medicine. So I tell them to put their morning and night medicine by their toothbrush and they noon medicine where they prepare their lunch. That works for many of them.

Last edited:
Dabs, I'm so amazed at how beautiful your aunt's tribute to your mother is. Not only is it a beloved piece for you, it's a quite beautiful and unique piece of work in and of itself. What a special valentine your big-hearted aunt is. :)

Charley.

She sometimes wore some fragrances from Avon, but Charley was her all time favorite :)

I remember Charley well. They still make it. You can get it on Amazon if they ever need a touch up!

Thanks for the tip on the eye drops, Sunshine. I'll put them on the 'puter table with my other two taken that has really helped my fibro issues, especially its discordant accompaniments.

Wow. Having the eyedrops by the computer is a good deal. I put them in half an hour ago, and my eyes are a lot more comfortable. I've been sewing 4-patches and windmill patches today. They come from the same light and dark sewn strip pairs, so I make some in 4-patches which finish 1.25" and others into the windmill blades that are 1.25x2.5" strips

The 4-patch block I found online this morning has free instructions and how-tos at this link. I made 4 of the blocks below and arranged them to form a sort of chain ring:

Dbl4P-Done-Front.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back