At what point does a thread get kicked down to Badlands?

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
The antisemites - with their talk of “Jew supremacy,” “Zionist tentacles,” and other atrocious terms - are descending on threads that have opened to discuss the horrible treatment of innocent American Jews, and seem to enjoy harassing Jewish posters.

Is it now the policy of USMB, given there is no more Zone 1 protections, to just allow the Jew-haters to turn threads into antisemitic propaganda tools? (I imagine some of the worst of the worst are paid by HAMAS-related organizations to spread the hate.)

Short of just advising Jews to ignore the antisemites, is there anything that can be done to make it more difficult for the Jew-haters to spread antisemitic attitudes? It’s bad enough on the streets, and liberal college campuses, but they’re invading here too.

The antisemites - with their talk of “Jew supremacy,” “Zionist tentacles,” and other atrocious terms - are descending on threads that have opened to discuss the horrible treatment of innocent American Jews, and seem to enjoy harassing Jewish posters.

Is it now the policy of USMB, given there is no more Zone 1 protections, to just allow the Jew-haters to turn threads into antisemitic propaganda tools? (I imagine some of the worst of the worst are paid by HAMAS-related organizations to spread the hate.)

Short of just advising Jews to ignore the antisemites, is there anything that can be done to make it more difficult for the Jew-haters to spread antisemitic attitudes? It’s bad enough on the streets, and liberal college campuses, but they’re invading here too.
It is interesting that people who cannot defend Israeli atrocities try to silence the critics of Israel as being anti-Semitic?

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa, don't be afraid of the marketplace of ideas? People who criticize Israeli foreign policy are not Jew haters. This issue has nothing to do with religion.

It is interesting that people who cannot defend Israeli atrocities try to silence the critics of Israel as being anti-Semitic?

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa, don't be afraid of the marketplace of ideas? People who criticize Israeli foreign policy are not Jew haters. This issue has nothing to do with religion.
Did you see the terms I listed in the OP? They are all blatant antisemitic terms. I do not expect you to understand.

Would you say a poster suggesting a “Third Reich” approach (that’s Hitler term) to the “cesspit” that is Israel is merely criticizing Israeli policy? Or would you admit his wish to genocide the Jews the way Hitler did is antisemitic?

Jew hating has nothing to do with religion
either. It is the culture of large groups of
christians and muslims inculcated in their
minds from infancy. The most virulent
little "you killed jesus" bitches of my
childhood did not get it from a study of
religion----even most adult christians never
read the "bible" ---either one.

Did you see the terms I listed in the OP? They are all blatant antisemitic terms. I do not expect you to understand.

Would you say a poster suggesting a “Third Reich” approach (that’s Hitler term) to the “cesspit” that is Israel is merely criticizing Israeli policy? Or would you admit his wish to genocide the Jews the way Hitler did is antisemitic?
In the particular incident you cited, I would say is anti-Semitic.

Jew hating has nothing to do with religion
either. It is the culture of large groups of
christians and muslims inculcated in their
minds from infancy. The most virulent
little "you killed jesus" bitches of my
childhood did not get it from a study of
religion----even most adult christians never
read the "bible" ---either one.
Well, I'm a Catholic and Judaism was never discussed when I was growing up!

In the particular incident you cited, I would say is anti-Semitic.
OK, now that you are starting to see reason, do you recognize that the abuse and assault of Jewish students on college campuses extends beyond criticism of Israeli policy? Because what is happening to Jewish kids is akin to 1938 Germany.

Well, I'm a Catholic and Judaism was never discussed when I was growing up!
You must have been unconscious. I grew up in a very christian--almost 1/2 protestant and 1/2 catholic when I first got there at age 4 and very
interesting 1/3 protestant1/3 catholic 1/3 jew
( ALL WHITE) when I got to the one OVER ALL high school. The Catholic students had mostly
entered the pubic school system after 8 years of Catholic school. They had very fixed ideas of the noncatholic "beliefs" that they encountered as
high school freshman"

OK, now that you are starting to see reason, do you recognize that the abuse and assault of Jewish students on college campuses extends beyond criticism of Israeli policy? Because what is happening to Jewish kids is akin to 1938 Germany.
I would add----it never went away---it went into a period of latency, like a HIBERNATING
BLAC BEAR IN UPSTATE NY

It's tough to adjudicate though. When is something just wrong headed which is allowed under free speech criteria vs personal attacks which should not be okay? Who decides what so called 'disinformation' is protected free speech and what is not?

It can be dangerous to give powerful people, most especially dishonest/unethical ones, ability to dictate what is disinformation and what is not.

You see I think racist or antisemitic speech or so-called 'hate speech' is protected speech under the First Amendment even as it exposes those who utter it as the hateful, ignorant, unpleasant, wrong headed judgmental people that they are. At least we know that about them which at times could be useful.

Does anybody really pay any attention to or give any credence to the blatant racists and antisemitic types here for instance? Does anybody really think they have any credibility for intelligence, common sense, knowledge? Or does anybody with a brain pretty much see them as the mean spirited vacuous people that they are?

Of course being one of the majority race in this country and not being a Jew could disqualify me from saying what should and should not be hurtful to a person of color or a Jewish person. I am conscious that it may be easier for me to say that their insults and hateful disinformation should not be given any credibility at all.

But unkind, insensitive, mean spirited, dishonest, cruel people seem to enjoy being what they are. They don't care how accusing somebody of being a drunk and therefore worthless might sound to a recovering alcoholic. Or how saying somebody is a fat pig might sound to a person struggling with a weight problem. Or how it sounds when they say nobody beyond a certain age should be allowed to work or serve in office to a healthy, energetic, fully cognizant senior citizen etc.

I deal with it by offering good information. I can't honestly tell others how they should deal with it though.

And the First Amendment also allows people to believe what isn't true no matter how indefensible or stupid or wrong.

It's tough to adjudicate though. When is something just wrong headed which is allowed under free speech criteria vs personal attacks which should not be okay? Who decides what so called 'disinformation' is protected free speech and what is not?

It can be dangerous to give powerful people, most especially dishonest/unethical ones, ability to dictate what is disinformation and what is not.

You see I think racist or antisemitic speech or so-called 'hate speech' is protected speech under the First Amendment even as it exposes those who utter it as the hateful, ignorant, unpleasant, wrong headed judgmental people that they are. At least we know that about them which at times could be useful.

Does anybody really pay any attention to or give any credence to the blatant racists and antisemitic types here for instance? Does anybody really think they have any credibility for intelligence, common sense, knowledge? Or does anybody with a brain pretty much see them as the mean spirited vacuous people that they are?

Of course being one of the majority race in this country and not being a Jew could disqualify me from saying what should and should not be hurtful to a person of color or a Jewish person. I am conscious that it may be easier for me to say that their insults and hateful disinformation should not be given any credibility at all.

But unkind, insensitive, mean spirited, dishonest, cruel people seem to enjoy being what they are. They don't care how accusing somebody of being a drunk and therefore worthless might sound to a recovering alcoholic. Or how saying somebody is a fat pig might sound to a person struggling with a weight problem. Or how it sounds when they say nobody beyond a certain age should be allowed to work or serve in office to a healthy, energetic, fully cognizant senior citizen etc.

I deal with it by offering good information. I can't honestly tell others how they should deal with it though.

And the First Amendment also allows people to believe what isn't true no matter how indefensible or stupid or wrong.
to answer your query--"Does anyone pay attention...." ? the answer is
YES---A BILLION FOLD

Forum List

Back