Atheism Is Not A Religion!!!

Then you made a pointless post. The only possible point your post would have had is that the atheist guy who claimed atheism was a religion contributed to the argument that atheism is a religion,

which it doesn't.

Sigh

Newsflash, I never claimed that atheism, in and of itself, is a religion. Throughout this thread all I have said is that some atheist treat their beliefs as a religion. Thus, my post pointing to a single person who went to court to claim atheism is a religion, actually backs up my point, especially when you factor in Carla's denial that it ever happened, and totally negates any claim that it is impossible for an atheist to believe that atheism is a religion.

Atheists lead prayer, they go to church, and even go to court to defend the religion of atheism.

All that was missing from David Williamson's invocation Monday was an "amen."

The founder of the Central Florida Freethought Community, an association of "nonbelievers" and a chapter of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, delivered the ceremonial opening to Monday's meeting of the Osceola County Commission, a role almost always filled by clergy, usually Christian clergy.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

He made no mention of God or faith or blessings, as prayerful invocations traditionally do, nor did he urge those assembled for the public meeting to bow their heads — though many did, perhaps out of habit.

"Through the millennia, we as a society have learned the best way to govern the people is for the people to govern themselves," Williamson said, beginning his reflection, which lasted a minute and 14 seconds.

His was the first of eight scheduled invocations that will be offered soon at government meetings in Central Florida by atheists, agnostics or humanists who are making use of a Supreme Court ruling that advises public bodies to make a reasonable effort to include all community members, regardless of faith — or lack of it.

Atheist prayer opens Osceola meeting - Orlando Sentinel

Feel free to ignore reality if you want to be considered an idiot by every sane person in the world.

Last edited:
You can believe that your grandmother had legitimate psychic powers to predict the future,

but the fact that many of us might dispute that does not deny her the right to believe so, or anyone else to believe so.

Why do you dispute the right of some atheist to claim atheism as their religion then?

Wait, I bet you thought you were making a point against me, didn't you?

The Bible has nothing to do with it.

Really?

I bet you cannot prove that the Bible even says that Hell is a place of eternal torment. The only verse that even refers to Hell as anything approaching the pit of fire accepted in popular culture says that it was made for the Devil and his angels, and describes it as the second death. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure death means death, not eternal life in a pit of fire.

Really?

I bet you cannot prove that the Bible even says that Hell is a place of eternal torment. The only verse that even refers to Hell as anything approaching the pit of fire accepted in popular culture says that it was made for the Devil and his angels, and describes it as the second death. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure death means death, not eternal life in a pit of fire.

Yes, really. I was not talking with the Bible, I was talking with PM. I was responding to PM's concept. I really don't care what the Bible's take might be on the subject. If you think PM has it wrong, then I would take it up with him.

Really?

Yes, really. I was not talking with the Bible, I was talking with PM. I was responding to PM's concept. I really don't care what the Bible's take might be on the subject. If you think PM has it wrong, then I would take it up with him.

then you're even farther afield......my post made no mention of pits of fire....I was responding to someone who thought heaven was a place of schmucks and didn't want to be included......and the Bible has something to do with it, as it tells folks what they have to make a choice about......

Really?

then you're even farther afield......my post made no mention of pits of fire....I was responding to someone who thought heaven was a place of schmucks and didn't want to be included......and the Bible has something to do with it, as it tells folks what they have to make a choice about......

So you don't think Hell is a place of suffering then?

I think that being in the place where that "schmuck" is will be a happy and pleasant place for all of eternity......I think that spending all of eternity away from that happy and pleasant place will not be happy or pleasant.....I don't devote any time to considering what places I neither intend or want to visit are like.....I leave that to the folks who choose not to enjoy the company of schmucks......

I think that being in the place where that "schmuck" is will be a happy and pleasant place for all of eternity......I think that spending all of eternity away from that happy and pleasant place will not be happy or pleasant.....I don't devote any time to considering what places I neither intend or want to visit are like.....I leave that to the folks who choose not to enjoy the company of schmucks......

You didn't answer the question. I believe the exact wording you used was, "no one is going to hell who isn't choosing to go there". You didn't say "not going to heaven". Why would you indicate someone is going somewhere you don't even think about?

So, based upon what you said - that is akin to me holding a gun to your head.... well, you know the rest.

Couldn't come up with any, huh? Just like the clicking noises your keyboard makes? There's no such thing as a religious atheist.

Maybe a militant atheist but not a religious one.

And notice a "militant" atheist is one who passionately debates a theist that there is no god, god is unnecessary and in a lot of cases god is not good for people. Just look at the Muslims in Syria and Iraq. How's god doing for them?

We don't bomb churches or start wars over there being no god.

God is necessary if you seek eternal life in His Kingdom. If that doesn't interest you then He's allowed you to reject Him. You may want to stock up on plenty of sun block.
Let say for your sake there was a Christian/Judean god. He sends millions upon millions of good people to helll simply because they did not believe in him or they were worshipping the wong god. He also lets millions of bad people into heaven simply because they repent their actions and ask for forgiveness. Now ask me if I want to spend eternity with a schmuck like that.
lets see.....should I spend eternity in heaven with a god you don't like or spend it in hell with you.......how long do I have to make up my mind?.......
Don't forget that your god is sending the vast majority of good people that ever existed to hell. It tells a lot about someone like yourself,doesn't it. It's a good thing I don't believe in something that wretched but it would be worse to believe in it and champion that kind of realm.

And then turn around and claim the reason we don't buy into it is because WE'RE evil.

You didn't answer the question. I believe the exact wording you used was, "no one is going to hell who isn't choosing to go there". You didn't say "not going to heaven". Why would you indicate someone is going somewhere you don't even think about?

So, based upon what you said - that is akin to me holding a gun to your head.... well, you know the rest.

I'm a god. Send me all your money or burn for eternity. Your choice.

Hey, no one is going to hell who isn't choosing to go there.

Then tell me what his concept is, if you can. You are just assuming he has the same concept of hell you do, which is why you look like an idiot when you try to argue that you aren't talking about the Bible.

Then tell me what his concept is, if you can. You are just assuming he has the same concept of hell you do, which is why you look like an idiot when you try to argue that you aren't talking about the Bible.

Just the fact they believe in hell makes them look like an idiot.

Funny, I don't recall PostModernProphet ever saying he believes in hell. In my book that makes the people who assume they know what other people believe the idiots.

I didn't actually mean him I meant anyone who believes in hell. I knew that was going to happen. Prachet said he said "no one is going to hell who isn't choosing to go there"

If PostModern said that, then I would assume he/she believes in hell.

Anyways, mind your own business. It was a joke anyways, just like you god.

because the guy I was talking with said he didn't want to go to a place where a schmuck like God was.....obviously he isn't going there unless he chose to and he's specifically stated what his choice was.......

Funny, I don't recall PostModernProphet ever saying he believes in hell. In my book that makes the people who assume they know what other people believe the idiots.
as I recall, I am recently on record as saying I haven't given much thought to what hell is, nor do I intend to........I don't intend to go there....I also don't intend to go to Redlands, California....therefore, I have not given much attention to what its like there or what I would do if I went there.....

Prachet said he said "no one is going to hell who isn't choosing to go there"
that is true....I did say that.....I have said it many times......I do so because that is what the scriptures tell me.....

John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

what happens to the condemned I do not know....the same passage says...." that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. "

what it means to "perish" instead of having eternal life, I do not have the answer to......however, since it does not apply to me I will leave that to those who look forward to it instead of spending eternity with "schmucks"......

The concept is that God sends you to this place called Hell, which is clearly unpleasant. It really doesn't matter what the details might be because my response was directed at this concept of blame. That God creates the place, decides who will go to the place, sends you to the place and yet has no responsibility for any of it. The idea that the one being which actually has some control over events is the one which has no involvement is absurd.

because the guy I was talking with said he didn't want to go to a place where a schmuck like God was.....obviously he isn't going there unless he chose to and he's specifically stated what his choice was.......

Yes, you are the one who brought up hell, which apparently is a place that will not be happy or pleasant. So, I repeat, that is like my holding a gun to your head and blaming you if I pull the trigger.

Prachet said he said "no one is going to hell who isn't choosing to go there"
that is true....I did say that.....I have said it many times......I do so because that is what the scriptures tell me.....

John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

what happens to the condemned I do not know....the same passage says...." that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. "

what it means to "perish" instead of having eternal life, I do not have the answer to......however, since it does not apply to me I will leave that to those who look forward to it instead of spending eternity with "schmucks"......

God would have done a much better job of proving he exists if he existed.

See, you would have to believe the Old and New Testaments are authentic in order to believe what you believe. Just look at Muslims. 500 years ago they had access to the bible and they decided to write their own religion. Mormons too. Christianity is just another religion. Everyone thinks their book is the best.

Think about it. Your spin says that we have to believe your unbelievable stories or go to hell. Believe and go to heaven. The entire story is so clearly written by primitive men in ancient times. Very clever in fact George Carlin called it the greatest bullshit story of all time.

Forum List

Back