Atheism takes courage

How do beliefs take courage? Are they on purpose choices, or conclusions via brain function and what its been presented...

Standing up for beliefs can sometimes take courage. Having beliefs is just par
"How do beliefs take courage?"

In this context? Answered in post #1.
The OP isn't realistic. It mentions "allowing" oneself to believe something.

My brain either believes or it doesnt ~ its not a process of being deceitful to...my actual self. That makes no sense to me.

I dont "believe" things as a function of consequence. I either do, or I dont.
If you are arguing that free will is an illusion...then you are correct, it is.

But still, what you are saying is generally absurd. You would not have believed, for instance, that a tiny virus caused polio, until you chose to do so because of the evidence.
The absurdity would be convincing my own self NOT to believe in the tiny virus, when my own self determined there was sufficient evidence.

How do beliefs take courage? Are they on purpose choices, or conclusions via brain function and what its been presented...

My brain either believes or it doesnt ~ its not a process of being deceitful to...my actual self. That makes no sense to me.

But still, what you are saying is generally absurd. You would not have believed, for instance, that a tiny virus caused polio, until you chose to do so because of the evidence.
The absurdity would be convincing my own self NOT to believe in the tiny virus, when my own self determined there was sufficient evidence.
"Determined"... I.e., you made a choice.

Just a bit of insight on what it means to be an atheist. It's actually easier to allow one's self to believe in God than it is to be an atheist. Being an atheist means there is no Devil to blame, no afterlife to reunite with loved ones, no personal cosmic bodyguard, only one life to live, personal responsibility for one's thoughts, actions, and prosperity, or lack thereof, lack of acceptance from a religion infused society, and no easy explanation for our existence.

Atheism is not for the weak.

I honestly feel that atheists are shut off of the spiritual warfare going on right around us..
They cannot feel the presence of something spectacular and call the believers stupid like this OP..

Just saying that I never met one person getting chemo , fighting cancer talk like the OP while facing a very hard trial...

You mean, like my heart attack, and heart surgery? Nope. Felt no need to pray to some mythical supernatural being to "keep me safe". I had a pretty good heart surgeon. Either I was gonna get through it, or I wasn't. Suddenly deciding to ask "Super Daddy" for help wasn't gonna change that.

You misunderstand that our prayers are not to keep us safe . It is finding joy even through the worst of things because you are spiritually connected and know where you are going.

Being a Christian doesn't take away life's problems ...

Established criteria for a belief is how Id put it - and I think that criteria is established as a function of one's ability to properly reason, not by arbitrarily choosing criteria

Just a bit of insight on what it means to be an atheist. It's actually easier to allow one's self to believe in God than it is to be an atheist. Being an atheist means there is no Devil to blame, no afterlife to reunite with loved ones, no personal cosmic bodyguard, only one life to live, personal responsibility for one's thoughts, actions, and prosperity, or lack thereof, lack of acceptance from a religion infused society, and no easy explanation for our existence.

I honestly feel that atheists are shut off of the spiritual warfare going on right around us..
They cannot feel the presence of something spectacular and call the believers stupid like this OP..

Just saying that I never met one person getting chemo , fighting cancer talk like the OP while facing a very hard trial...

You mean, like my heart attack, and heart surgery? Nope. Felt no need to pray to some mythical supernatural being to "keep me safe". I had a pretty good heart surgeon. Either I was gonna get through it, or I wasn't. Suddenly deciding to ask "Super Daddy" for help wasn't gonna change that.

You misunderstand that our prayers are not to keep us safe . It is finding joy even through the worst of things because you are spiritually connected and know where you are going.

Then what good is it?

Wait! What?

Damn, they lied to me again~!

The Prayer of Faith
…14Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15Andthe prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick. The Lordwill raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. 16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power to prevail.…

James 5:15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.

71e6e208cecdc648d504d1db399b13d6.jpg

I am fascinated by this.

Tithing - that bizarre practice of giving a percentage of your hard earned money a religion, church, god that is more wealthy than you could ever hope to be, just to reserve your spot on a nice soft cloud. Basically, paying premiums on insurance you'll never cash in.

The longest, ongoing and most successful scam of all time.

So many are lost and put these people on the throne. these scams have hurt so many people who get sucked into it..I get so mad at these liars who hate, judge and point fingers..

God is Free..

No he isn't he requires you to be his slave.

Like I said, not all pastors are corrupt..but the ones who do corrupt cause so much pain to the ones putting them on the pedestal and not God.

Worst and most corrupt in my opinion..so many have walked away from God because of these jerks..

falwell.jpeg
upload_2017-10-18_17-37-31.jpeg
506f87f12cc550ece2e84a869e0d933d--tv-preachers-people-com.jpg

Established criteria for a belief is how Id put it - and I think that criteria is established as a function of one's ability to properly reason, not by arbitrarily choosing criteria
While I think you describe a good way to acquire a belief, I think one couldn't be more wrong than to suggest this is how all or even most people acquire all of their beliefs. Yes, people arbitrarily choose criteria, as these criteria often are chosen to suit a bigotry, or a preconception, or a superstition.

Then what good is it?

It is a inner power that you get to fight the battles and see life through a whole different perspective. ... The Holy Spirit opens your soul to the spiritual side of life.

While I think you describe a good way to acquire a belief, I think one couldn't be more wrong than to suggest this is how all or even most people acquire all of their beliefs. Yes, people arbitrarily choose criteria, as these criteria often are chosen to suit a bigotry, or a preconception, or a superstition.
ok, well ill just speak for myself and say uh....nothing I believe in took courage

it was innate to my character and how I establish beliefs

standing up for them....is where courage can come into play

and being agnostic around a life long of religious folks....one could say it took me courage I suppose.......but in my mind it should just kinda be the standard.....not the "above and beyond"

I was once asked if I believed in God. My response was “it’s sometimes good for people to believe there’s a power greater than themselves”.

Wait! What?

Damn, they lied to me again~!

The Prayer of Faith
…14Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15Andthe prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick. The Lordwill raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. 16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power to prevail.…

James 5:15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.

I have a bible study that I sometimes go to with some awesome women. I do go to church if I feel the connection.. But we don't have to belong to a church to be a christian..

ok, well ill just speak for myself and say uh....nothing I believe in took courage

and being agnostic around a life long of religious folks....one could say it took me courage I suppose.......but in my mind it should just kinda be the standard.....not the "above and beyond"
And one could say it takes courage to accept one's own mortality, instead of taking an easier way out and soothing one's self with the belief that you will live forever.

I was once asked if I believed in God. My response was “it’s sometimes good for people to believe there’s a power greater than themselves”.

I am an addiction counselor .... and those who think a door knob will be their higher power usually do relapse.

The art of turning things over that we have no control over free's the spirit

The only thing that we have control over is how we respond to life... that is it..

Then what good is it?

It is a inner power that you get to fight the battles and see life through a whole different perspective. ... The Holy Spirit opens your soul to the spiritual side of life.

Kinda of like Ecstasy or Acid?

I am an addiction counselor .... and those who think a door knob will be their higher power usually do relapse.

The only thing that we have control over is how we respond to life... that is it..

But that is just trickery, as you then replace the "controller" with a god, when those things are actually still beyond control. And the things which ARE controllable are actually still controlled by them, despite them being tricked into believing otherwise. And if it takes trickery to treat the disease of addiction, then keep at it. But it is, indeed, trickery.

And one could say it takes courage to accept one's own mortality, instead of taking an easier way out and soothing one's self with the belief that you will live forever.
Acceptance of ones mortality doesnt take courage, necessarily as you say.

If you are rational, and the pieces led you there....you are simply accepting reality, and being rational.

And making smart decisions.

I’ve spent thousands of hours over the past 11 years talking with psych patients.
It’s something I’ve doing to help security and nursing.

Last edited:

Acceptance of ones mortality doesnt take courage, necessarily as you say.

If you are rational, and the pieces led you there....you are simply accepting reality, and being rational.
Okay

Forum List

Back