Atheist answer to the 10 Commandments: 10 rational positions

And there have been numerous studies that contradict those you are citing. That's the point. You made a claim as if it were indisputable, and it isn't.

I haven't cited any, I just said there were numerous studies and there are.

Here's a few examples, since you can't shut up about it... but I"ll warn you, I am not playing your "divert the thread and attack the source" game. You have a problem with the sources, go fuck yourself.

Does Spirituality Make You Happy?

"scientists have found, again and again, that those with a spiritual practice or who follow religious beliefs tend to be happier than those who don’t. Study after study has found that religious people tend to be less depressed and less anxious than nonbelievers, better able to handle the vicissitudes of life than nonbelievers."

Mindfulness meditation may ease anxiety, mental stress - Harvard Health Blog

"But when researchers from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD sifted through nearly 19,000 meditation studies, they found 47 trials that addressed those issues and met their criteria for well-designed studies. Their findings, published in JAMA Internal Medicine, suggest that mindful meditation can help ease psychological stresses like anxiety, depression, and pain."

Religion, Spirituality, and Health: The Research and Clinical Implications

Religious/spiritual beliefs and practices are commonly used by both medical and psychiatric patients to cope with illness and other stressful life changes. A large volume of research shows that people who are more R/S have better mental health and adapt more quickly to health problems compared to those who are less R/S. These possible benefits to mental health and well-being have physiological consequences that impact physical health, affect the risk of disease, and influence response to treatment. In this paper I have reviewed and summarized hundreds of quantitative original data-based research reports examining relationships between R/S and health. These reports have been published in peer-reviewed journals in medicine, nursing, social work, rehabilitation, social sciences, counseling, psychology, psychiatry, public health, demography, economics, and religion. The majority of studies report significant relationships between R/S and better health.

Okay. Apparently, you and I have been having two different conversations. Allow me to understand a few details of your position. You keep referring to "spirituality". Would you equate spirituality with religion? Simple yes, or not. I will have other questions to assist me with my clarifications, so pontificating won't bring us any closer to understanding one another.

Okay. Apparently, you and I have been having two different conversations. Allow me to understand a few details of your position. You keep referring to "spirituality". Would you equate spirituality with religion? Simple yes, or not. I will have other questions to assist me with my clarifications, so pontificating won't bring us any closer to understanding one another.

Spirituality and Religion are two different things but they are closely related and sometimes interchangeable. Religions are the manifestation of Spirituality. Most people who are devoutly spiritual are religious as well... but not always. You can be spiritual without being religious. There are also people who profess to be religious, yet they are not very spiritual. I know you didn't want a "pontificating" reply but it's simply not a yes or no answer.

Nevertheless, studies indicate (and there have been numerous ones), that people with strong spirituality (note I didn't say 'religious'), are less likely to suffer from depression, anxiety disorders, drug and alcohol addiction, suicides and mental health problems in general. They also tend to be more healthy in a general physical sense and more happy. Now, has someone come along and done a survey that contradicts this? Sure, you can find outliers to anything. The third link I posted above actually studies ALL the surveys and breaks down what they purport to find. The overwhelming majority find that I'm right and you're wrong.

No sense in losing your head over it. And no sense in losing a piece of pussy over it either. It's a silly notion. What do you think I'll go to hell for faking belief in god?
lol... charming.

No, I don't think that you are going to hell, I see that you are already in it. You might as well be setting your own head on fire or shitting in your bed, selling your soul and becoming a completely false person for a "piece of pussy". lol...

Good luck with that!

Enlightened? You? I don't think so.

:lmao:

Last edited:

Spirituality and Religion are two different things but they are closely related and sometimes interchangeable. Religions are the manifestation of Spirituality. Most people who are devoutly spiritual are religious as well... but not always. You can be spiritual without being religious. There are also people who profess to be religious, yet they are not very spiritual. I know you didn't want a "pontificating" reply but it's simply not a yes or no answer.
You're just incapable of simply answering a question witout posturing, aren't you? That said, if I understand the gist your response correctly, what you call "spirituality" is not dependent on religion. So, would you say that "spirituality" is a system of determining one's moral centre?

You're just incapable of simply answering a question witout posturing, aren't you? That said, if I understand the gist your response correctly, what you call "spirituality" is not dependent on religion. So, would you say that "spirituality" is a system of determining one's moral centre?

I'm sorry that you consider it "posturing" to answer questions correctly. Spirituality is not necessarily dependent on religion but I would not say that it's a system of determining one's moral center. Spirituality is human connection with something greater than self. Can this aid one in finding their moral center? Sure. However, I assume Atheists who have no spirituality also have some perception of their own moral center, true?

Spirituality is not necessarily dependent on religion but I would not say that it's a system of determining one's moral center.

I would not say that it's a system of determining one's moral center.

images

being spirited by definition refers to an accomplished state of mind, purity (moral center) particularly as perceived by their detractors, fictitious religionists.

Spirituality is human connection with something greater than self.
to state spirituality is a human (only) connection from whence all beings came is patently absurd and simply nauseating in every regard save the ravings of a selfabsorbed lunatic.

I'm sorry that you consider it "posturing" to answer questions correctly. Spirituality is not necessarily dependent on religion but I would not say that it's a system of determining one's moral center. Spirituality is human connection with something greater than self. Can this aid one in finding their moral center? Sure. However, I assume Atheists who have no spirituality also have some perception of their own moral center, true?
By that definition, I'm "spiritual". After all, I'm connected to "something greater than myself". It's called a society, and a culture. By that definition everyone is spiritual who isn't a sociopath.

By that definition, I'm "spiritual". After all, I'm connected to "something greater than myself". It's called a society, and a culture. By that definition everyone is spiritual who isn't a sociopath.

Greater than the human self or physical self.

being spirited by definition refers to an accomplished state of mind, purity (moral center) particularly as perceived by their detractors, fictitious religionists.

No, it doesn't.

to state spirituality is a human (only) connection from whence all beings came is patently absurd and simply nauseating in every regard save the ravings of a selfabsorbed lunatic.

No, it's not.

Society is beyond the human, physical self. Or here's an even better one; I have a connection with the entire universe. Guess what? The same elements, and energies that make up anything in the universe, make up me. No God, or supernatural necessary. You see, you're trying very hard to not say that spirituality is a connection with the supernatural, because then you have to prove that the supernatural exists objectively.

As to your studies, I won't dispute them. Of course people are more relaxed, and happier when they get to not take any responsibility for shit, and just blame every bad thing on some external supernatural force. Then there are the realists who understand that believing in fantasies doesn't actually fix anything.

And one last point, you keep talking about "spirituality" as if that and atheism are mutually exclusive. Atheist simply do not believe in the existence of GOD. Many atheists are also spiritualists - people who believe in the "spirit", or "Soul". You want to discount my 10 rational positions on the basis of spirituality, but nothing in my 10 rational positions contradicts your spirituality; only theism.

Last edited:

No, it doesn't.

No, it's not.
No, it doesn't ... No, it's not.

yes it is ...

The Triumph of Good vs Evil - The Apex of Knowledge are goals for all living beings in pursuit of the Everlasting - good luck with your connection, bossy.

Society is beyond the human, physical self. Or here's an even better one; I have a connection with the entire universe. Guess what? The same elements, and energies that make up anything in the universe, make up me. No God, or supernatural necessary. You see, you're trying very hard to not say that spirituality is a connection with the supernatural, because then you have to prove that the supernatural exists objectively.

As to your studies, I won't dispute them. Of course people are more relaxed, and happier when they get to not take any responsibility for shit, and just blame every bad thing on some external supernatural force. Then there are the realists who understand that believing in fantasies doesn't actually fix anything.

No, "supernatural" means something outside of nature and spiritual nature is a part of nature itself. It's, by definition, not supernatural. What makes up "you" is the physical components but there is something more as well. It is your consciousness, the essence of who you are, your thoughts and dreams, what you love and have passion for. What you fear and what you hate. These are all things beyond the physical, more than just the physical atoms which comprise your body, and they are part of your human spirit.

You can choose to ignore this and pretend you have no guiding principles, certainly it can seem to be much less burdensome but without connecting spiritually, you are constantly unable to fill a void in your spirit needs. You can lie to yourself and others and claim you don't need spiritual connection and you can responsibly formulate your own guiding principles but you are inferior to do this on your own and you will ultimately fail. In the meantime, you will likely subconsciously try to fill the void with pleasure, decadence, indulgence, self-abuse, etc. Your relationships will suffer. Your life will become increasingly more lonely and desolate.

The good news is this, no matter how low you get, no matter how bad things seem, the spiritual connection you need is always right there for you to accept and benefit from. It requires nothing more than your acceptance and acknowledgment.

yes it is ...

The Triumph of Good vs Evil - The Apex of Knowledge are goals for all living beings in pursuit of the Everlasting - good luck with your connection, bossy.

Triumph of Good vs. Evil and Apex of Knowledge are realized in a connection with Spiritual Nature.

The Satanic Church has only one Commandment, "Do as thou wilt."

The atheist commandments don't look like they're any better.

There's no commandments against lying, cheating, killing or stealing.
Sooo...the only reason that you don't kill people, cheat, or steal is because you are commanded not to? I'm sorry to hear that. I also find it hard to believe. It has been my experience that people who want to kill, cheat, and steal are going to do so, commands prohibiting such behaviour not withstanding.

Do as thou wilt leave
The Satanic Church has only one Commandment, "Do as thou wilt."

The atheist commandments don't look like they're any better.

There's no commandments against lying, cheating, killing or stealing.
Sooo...the only reason that you don't kill people, cheat, or steal is because you are commanded not to? I'm sorry to hear that. I also find it hard to believe. It has been my experience that people who want to kill, cheat, and steal are going to do so, commands prohibiting such behaviour not withstanding.

With Do as thou wilt leaves ...I guess one could justify anything.
I have never suggested I suggest to the LaVayan satanic Law. I have always found that law rather open-ended, and self-centred. If we're going to go with that do as thou wilt stuff, I would say that the Wiccan Rede - "An' it harm none, do as thou wilt," is more rational. At least that, while still being overly simplistic, reminds one that their actions have an effect on others.

I dont think its so much the law/commandment as the person following it.
Adding "rational to the title" and including a bit more specific "rules" means diddly squat unless that person has a higher sense of purpose and a humbling of spirit. No one always follows what is right...no one.

You can be spiritual without being religious.
Yep. You can also be spiritual without buying even one shred of magical thinking. "Spirituality" is a feeling.

No, spirituality is not a feeling. It's also not "magical thinking" as you put it. Look, don't get snarky with me because your tiny brain is not capable of rationalizing spiritual nature. Obviously, some of us haven't evolved far enough from our primitive ancestors yet.

You can be spiritual without being religious.
Yep. You can also be spiritual without buying even one shred of magical thinking. "Spirituality" is a feeling.

No, spirituality is not a feeling. It's also not "magical thinking" as you put it. Look, don't get snarky with me because your tiny brain is not capable of rationalizing spiritual nature. Obviously, some of us haven't evolved far enough from our primitive ancestors yet.
Of course spirituality is a "feeling", ya goofball. I experience it . Anyone with a normally functioning human brain can experience it. What's to rationalize? It's just another function of your neurons firing in your brain, like anything your brain does. No, your are not "finding profound truths". You are not experiencing anything magical or metaphysical. Your brain is just doing what brains do, while you are just doing what inherently self-centered human beings do naturally: ascribing special status to your experience. Nope, sorry, just a feeling...a thought...an emotion.

Was your dig mentioning evolution really witty or funny enough to be worth it to make yourself sound too stupid to understand evolution? Suit yourself...

Of course spirituality is a "feeling", ya goofball. I experience it . Anyone with a normally functioning human brain can experience it. What's to rationalize? It's just another function of your neurons firing in your brain, like anything your brain does. No, your are not "finding profound truths". You are not experiencing anything magical or metaphysical. Your brain is just doing what brains do, while you are just doing what inherently self-centered human beings do naturally: ascribing special status to your experience. Nope, sorry, just a feeling...a thought...an emotion.

Was your dig mentioning evolution really witty or funny enough to be worth it to make yourself sound too stupid to understand evolution? Suit yourself...

Nope. Not a feeling and your brain is not a magical neuron-firing thought machine, it's simply an organ comprised of cells, like the rest of your body. Neurons fire whenever you have thoughts. So spirituality may cause your neurons to fire in your brain but it's not the other way around.

I mentioned your evolution because it's relevant. You are among the 5% of humans who don't comprehend your spiritual connection. An outlier, a freak of nature, an anomaly. 95% of us believe in something greater than self (beyond the physical). Frankly, you are vestigial from our lesser state, before our Creator enlightened us with Spirituality.

Forum List

Back