Atheist answer to the 10 Commandments: 10 rational positions

So spirituality may cause your neurons to fire in your brain but it's not the other way around.

what is this absurd nonsense? The only thing that causes neurons to fire in your brain is other neurons firing in your brain and in the rest of your body. Yes, neurons firing leads to feelings and thoughts, including spirituality. more accurately: spirituality, feelings, thoughts, and emotions ARE neurons firing. I know the brain is not magical. I am trying to explain this to you, who seems to think it is.

No, you are not learning any profound truths, metaphysical or otherwise. No, you are not being divined any knowledge. It's simply a feeling, and thoughts, and emotions. Nothing more. You may find a "spiritual" state of mind productive for solving a problem, or remembering a lost memory, but that is merely the processes of your subconscious (which both works on problems in the background and retains memories of which you are not consciously aware) influencing your consciousness.
You are among the 5% of humans who don't comprehend your spiritual connection.

Excuse you, I quite clearly said I have spiritual experiences. For instance, the serenity and wonder I feel when I contemplate the trip the atoms in my body have taken. The idea of my life passing as a bridge between the lives of my ancestors and my children, and the responsibility that brings. Or, when an old photo makes me yearn for a place, or when a piece of classical music takes me to "another place". Who are you, you fraud, to say there is something imperfect or inadequate about my "spirituality"? You have a bad habit of thinking you wield some sort of divine, authoritative truth... when you really just have a sack of rather incoherent opinions.

You also have a bad habit of insisting everyone else "is just too stupid to understand" what you are saying.... sooner or later, you're going to figure out that this happens because you are both vague and incoherent, from one moment to the next. Much of what you say is literally nebulous pap that can mean nothing or a myriad of things. Or, maybe you won't figure it out.

Last edited:
  1. Be open minded and willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
  2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not believe what you want to be true.
  3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
  4. Every person has the right to control their own body.
  5. God is not necessary to be a good person, or to live a full and meaningful life.
  6. Be mindful of the consequences of all of your actions and recognise that you must take responsibility for them.
  7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect they want to be treated.
  8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations - which is not to be confused with unborn non-viable fetuses.
  9. There is no right way to live.
  10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are rational positions by which to live one's life; unlike certain "commandments" of an irrational mythology one might mention.

Um what’s with the need to be counter Christian...this isn’t atheism, this is “we are not Christian.” Just be comfortable with your own freaking atheism, YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TO KEEP COMPARING YOURSELF CHRISTIANITY. Atheism doesn’t need its own 10 commandments, just be an atheist and go about your day. YOURE NOT REALLY AN ATHEIST, YOURE JUST A COUNTER CHRISTIAN.

Let me put it this way, if I felt secure in my ability as a nurse, I wouldn’t feel the need to continually compare myself to others nurses and continually publicly go out and talk about how I’m much better than the nurses around me. If I was doing that...well then I’m really not all that confident in my abilities and feel the need to compensate by always comparing myself to other nurses.

2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not believe what you want to be true.
  3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
  5. God is not necessary to be a good person, or to live a full and meaningful life.
  6. Be mindful of the consequences of all of your actions and recognise that you must take responsibility for them.
  7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect they want to be treated.
  8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations - which is not to be confused with unborn non-viable fetuses.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are rational positions by which to live one's life; unlike certain "commandments" of an irrational mythology one might mention.

Um what’s with the need to be counter Christian...this isn’t atheism, this is “we are not Christian.” Just be comfortable with your own freaking atheism, YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TO KEEP COMPARING YOURSELF CHRISTIANITY. Atheism doesn’t need its own 10 commandments, just be an atheist and go about your day. YOURE NOT REALLY AN ATHEIST, YOURE JUST A COUNTER CHRISTIAN.

Let me put it this way, if I felt secure in my ability as a nurse, I wouldn’t feel the need to continually compare myself to others nurses and continually publicly go out and talk about how I’m much better than the nurses around me. If I was doing that...well then I’m really not all that confident in my abilities and feel the need to compensate by always comparing myself to other nurses.
That's not a fair response or analogy. This is a forum for a free exchange and discussion of ideas. You act as if this guy knocked on your door and shoved a flyer in your face, or ruined yet another barbecue by gathering everyone around to preach...... when, in reality, you turned on your device, opened your browser, navigated to this website, and then opened this thread.

what is this absurd nonsense? The only thing that causes neurons to fire in your brain is other neurons firing in your brain and the rest of your body. yes, neurons firing leads to feelings and thoughts, including spirituality. i know the brain is not magical. I am trying to explain this to you, who seems to think it is.

Wrong, and what you're saying doesn't make sense and doesn't comport with physics or biology. The neurons fire, not as a result of neurons firing (illogical paradox) but as the result of brain activity and sensory perception from various nerve endings.

No, you are not being divined any knowledge. It's simply a feeling, and thoughts, and emotions.

Well, no... it's really NOT. And you continuing to insist that it is... well, that's just annoying. Spirituality is far more than a feeling or emotion. It is a genuine behavioral attribute present in human since the dawn of civilization. I said not a thing about being "divined any knowledge" ...where did that come from?

Excuse you, I quite clearly said I have spiritual experience. For instance, the serenity and wonder I feel when I contemplate the trip the atoms in my body have taken. The idea of my life passing as a bridge between tthe lives of my ancestors and my children, and the responsibility that brings. Or, when an old photo makes me yearn for a place, or when a piece of classical music takes me to "another place". Who are you, you fraud, to say there is something imperfect or inadequate about my "spirituality"?

It certainly wouldn't be the first time an Atheist admitted they believe in God. Actually, that happens quite often. Once we start cutting to the chase and getting deep down to what you ACTUALLY believe... it's really astonishing. To put this simply, it's not that you don't believe in God, it's that you don't believe in the Christian God who holds you accountable for your immoral behaviors. Or maybe you do and you just reject that so you can justify your immoral behavior?

I'm not here to figure you out. I really don't care what you believe. But your OPINIONS are not facts and I won't allow you to perpetrate them a such.

You had centuries of a head start over us. We are finally allowed to spread the truth without fear for our safety. It wasn’t always this way in fact it’s still dangerous to be an atheist in a Muslim country.

And if you’re so confident why would anything we say effect you other than to feel sorry for us that we don’t get to go to heaven when we die. And live for eternity in paradise. Never get sick or be sad. Basically you think you become a god when you died.

You may think the lie society is swallowing is good for us. I can tell you a million good and bad things about religion. To me it all boils down to this question. Is it good the masses swallow an impossible story regardless of the lack of evidence? I don’t think so. If they can be convinced of virgin births and walking on water then they are proving to the people who rule that we are still an ignorant group who can be convinced of anything.

No one should accept anything without evidence especially extraordinary claims.

what is this absurd nonsense? The only thing that causes neurons to fire in your brain is other neurons firing in your brain and the rest of your body. yes, neurons firing leads to feelings and thoughts, including spirituality. i know the brain is not magical. I am trying to explain this to you, who seems to think it is.

Wrong, and what you're saying doesn't make sense and doesn't comport with physics or biology. The neurons fire, not as a result of neurons firing (illogical paradox) but as the result of brain activity and sensory perception from various nerve endings.

No, you are not being divined any knowledge. It's simply a feeling, and thoughts, and emotions.

Well, no... it's really NOT. And you continuing to insist that it is... well, that's just annoying. Spirituality is far more than a feeling or emotion. It is a genuine behavioral attribute present in human since the dawn of civilization. I said not a thing about being "divined any knowledge" ...where did that come from?

Excuse you, I quite clearly said I have spiritual experience. For instance, the serenity and wonder I feel when I contemplate the trip the atoms in my body have taken. The idea of my life passing as a bridge between tthe lives of my ancestors and my children, and the responsibility that brings. Or, when an old photo makes me yearn for a place, or when a piece of classical music takes me to "another place". Who are you, you fraud, to say there is something imperfect or inadequate about my "spirituality"?

It certainly wouldn't be the first time an Atheist admitted they believe in God. Actually, that happens quite often. Once we start cutting to the chase and getting deep down to what you ACTUALLY believe... it's really astonishing. To put this simply, it's not that you don't believe in God, it's that you don't believe in the Christian God who holds you accountable for your immoral behaviors. Or maybe you do and you just reject that so you can justify your immoral behavior?

I'm not here to figure you out. I really don't care what you believe. But your OPINIONS are not facts and I won't allow you to perpetrate them a such.
We don’t know what created the universe. If he appreciates intelligence he certainly can’t fault atheists. It is you who is concluding it must be a god.

And yes it is all emotional your relationship with god. Us atheists are pretty sure youre just talking to yourself and it makes you feel better.

The neurons fire, not as a result of neurons firing (illogical paradox) but as the result of brain activity and sensory perception from various nerve endings.

Which is all neurons firing in your body, sending signals to your brain.. The firing of neurons in your brain is only caused by other neurons firing. That is a simple fact. And clearly you have no idea what you are talking about to disagree with it.

Well, no... it's really NOT.

Of course, spirituality IS, indeed, only neurons firing in your brain, just as is everything other function your brain performs. There is no magical intervention which defies determinism. "Free will", as you obviously see it, does not exist, and the thoughts you have and your actions are determined and chosen before you are consciously aware they have been chosen, or that you have "chosen" them.
To put this simply, it's not that you don't believe in God, it's that you don't believe in the Christian God who holds you accountable for your immoral behaviors.

Hmm, no, wrong again. I don't believe there are any gods. I believe I have a brain that is a physical system which "thinks" and 'feels", which are language constructs we invented to describe phenomenon in our observed reality, just like "tree" and 'rock", or "flow", like of a river.

So spirituality may cause your neurons to fire in your brain but it's not the other way around.

what is this absurd nonsense? The only thing that causes neurons to fire in your brain is other neurons firing in your brain and in the rest of your body. Yes, neurons firing leads to feelings and thoughts, including spirituality. more accurately: spirituality, feelings, thoughts, and emotions ARE neurons firing. I know the brain is not magical. I am trying to explain this to you, who seems to think it is.

No, you are not learning any profound truths, metaphysical or otherwise. No, you are not being divined any knowledge. It's simply a feeling, and thoughts, and emotions. Nothing more. You may find a "spiritual" state of mind productive for solving a problem, or remembering a lost memory, but that is merely the processes of your subconscious (which both works on problems in the background and retains memories of which you are not consciously aware) influencing your consciousness.

Excuse you, I quite clearly said I have spiritual experiences. For instance, the serenity and wonder I feel when I contemplate the trip the atoms in my body have taken. The idea of my life passing as a bridge between the lives of my ancestors and my children, and the responsibility that brings. Or, when an old photo makes me yearn for a place, or when a piece of classical music takes me to "another place". Who are you, you fraud, to say there is something imperfect or inadequate about my "spirituality"? You have a bad habit of thinking you wield some sort of divine, authoritative truth... when you really just have a sack of rather incoherent opinions.

You also have a bad habit of insisting everyone else "is just too stupid to understand" what you are saying.... sooner or later, you're going to figure out that this happens because you are both vague and incoherent, from one moment to the next. Much of what you say is literally nebulous pap that can mean nothing or a myriad of things. Or, maybe you won't figure it out.
They say the same way you feel when you see a woman you love is the same feeling your dog gets when they see you. Loves a pretty powerful emotion but even a dog can do it. It just doesn’t have a brain big enough to wonder how we all got here or an imagination to convince it that the universe was made for it and there’s another dimension called heaven

We don’t know what created the universe. If he appreciates intelligence he certainly can’t fault atheists. It is you who is concluding it must be a god.

And yes it is all emotional your relationship with god. Us atheists are pretty sure youre just talking to yourself and it makes you feel better.

No, I am concluding it must be "Spiritual Nature" and I call that "God" because, why not?

So you are pretty sure that 5% of the human race is correct and 95% is delusional? And we've been like that for all of our civilized existence?

They say the same way you feel when you see a woman you love is the same feeling your dog gets when they see you. Loves a pretty powerful emotion but even a dog can do it. It just doesn’t have a brain big enough to wonder how we all got here or an imagination to convince it that the universe was made for it and there’s another dimension called heaven
And those people are correct. We are generally hardwired to love our own babies, for instance. Consciousness and emotion among the animal kingdom varies in degree, as well as kind.

No, I am concluding it must be "Spiritual Nature" and I call that "God" because, why not
Shameless lie. No, you are INISTING that it is god, and cannot possibly be anything else..because...as usual....you say so.

See, this is a good example of you being incoherent from moment to moment, and being intentionally dishonest and obfuscate. Your behavior is an exact replica of a fraud selling snake oil at a carnival in the year 1800.

Which is all neurons firing in your body, sending signals to your brain.. The firing of neurons in your brain is only caused by other neurons firing. That is a simple fact. And clearly you have no idea what you are talking about to disagree with it.

No. Neurons fire as the result of stimulus happening which release sodium causing a reaction. That is the "simple fact" and what you are saying (neurons fire because of neurons firing) is circular reasoning at it's best.

Neurons fire as the result of stimulus happening which release sodium causing a reaction.
Brain neurons fire because they are prompted to do so by other neurons. Even the ones firing as a result of internal activity do so based on information passed to them by the activity of other neurons. Simple fact. You are wrong to disagree, and you always reject any empirical knowledge that you perceive as even the merest slight to your magical bullshit. See: your hilarious nonsense on evolution.

Relativism is now your goal??? Interesting ... it all depends on who is doing what to who, right?
To some degree, sure. If I shoot you in the face, I have committed murder, and an "evil act", right? But, If you are in the process of raping my sister, when I shoot you in the face, that rather changes the moral calculation a bit, now doesn't it?
Why is it OK to kill a man in the act of rape, but not execute him after he's convicted of it? What is wrong with rape anyway? If some men wrote the 10 Commandments way back when, wouldn't you imagine that they would make raping women OK? I mean, everyone in Hollywood seems to have done it to one degree or another. And the recent movies all seem to show women wanting to be fondled... Yet the Bible clearly names rape a capital offence with very few exceptions. And it seems to be truly Christians who are rather prudish with regard to sex (though marriage is another issue ---- 8 kids is a lot don't you think?).
Okay, first. Rape. Is. Not. A. Sexual. Act. It is an act of control, and violence. So, if a woman forced you to the ground, ripped off your clothes, and forcibly fucked you up the ass with a strap-on, you wouldn't feel violated, or angry? Unless you're a sociopath, of course you would. Well?!?!? What makes you think it is any different for women? So, why would you think that it is perfectly okay to do something to a woman that you would not want done to you?

As to the execution question, I understand that I was not being exact enough in my example. Executing a criminal is, for me, a grey area. I personally think that the burden of proof for execution should be required to be higher than for any other punishment. Because with every other punishment, if we get it wrong, we can release you, pay you fuck-tons of money as recompense for our error, and send you on to the rest of your life. Once you're executed, if we were wrong, well...you're still kinda executed. Sucks to be you. So, in my mind, the death penalty should require not "beyond a reasonable doubt"; it should require "beyond a shadow of a doubt". If you cannot prove to that level of certainty that an accused person did that of which they are accused, then you should not be able to execute them.

That being said, execution is a matter of meting out justice, and should be performed by an uninvolved party. When an aggrieved party does the executing, it is no longer about justice; it has become an act of vengeance. And vengeance is an unhealthy pursuit.
Maybe you should be asking some of the Muslim Extremest this question? The Bible records, "Vengeance is Mine!" says the Lord. However, He also expects the officials that He has placed in power to do their duty when required! And it seems to me that Hollywood talks out of both sides of its mouth. It releases smut and then wonders how on earth can people perform such nasty things? It presents sex in the most vulgar and demeaning light and then expects those dishing out such trash to behave morally straight! Clearly, even you should observe that one reaps exactly what one sows!
Oh, what an irresponsible, finger-pointing load of shit! Movies are not responsible for ;people being assholes. Music is not responsible for people being assholes. Video games are not the reason for people being assholes. Books are not the reason for people being assholes. The devil didn't make any of them "do it". People are assholes because they choose to be assholes. Position #6: Take fucking responsibility for your fucking choices! Don't wait for God to kiss your boo-boo, and make it all better. Don't blame others for your choices. Make your fucking choices, and fucking own them!
You have to be the most vulgar thoughtless person... I guess I must chalk it up to the fact you are an unrepentant atheist. If people can't be influenced, why would billions be spent on advertisements! Of course people can be influenced and you're doing a fairly good job proving it.

Neurons fire as the result of stimulus happening which release sodium causing a reaction.
Brain neurons fire because they are prompted to do so by other neurons. Simple fact. You are wrong to disagree, and you always reject any empirical knowledge that you perceive as even the merest slight to your magical bullshit. See: your hilarious nonsense on evolution.

No... Brain neurons fire because stimulation happens and causes a release of sodium ions into the neuron cell. That creates what is called an "action potential" aka: electrical charge. The important part is, a stimulation has to happen first. Which is the diametric opposite of what you are trying to claim.

You had centuries of a head start over us. We are finally allowed to spread the truth without fear for our safety. It wasn’t always this way in fact it’s still dangerous to be an atheist in a Muslim country.

And if you’re so confident why would anything we say effect you other than to feel sorry for us that we don’t get to go to heaven when we die. And live for eternity in paradise. Never get sick or be sad. Basically you think you become a god when you died.

You may think the lie society is swallowing is good for us. I can tell you a million good and bad things about religion. To me it all boils down to this question. Is it good the masses swallow an impossible story regardless of the lack of evidence? I don’t think so. If they can be convinced of virgin births and walking on water then they are proving to the people who rule that we are still an ignorant group who can be convinced of anything.

You are spiritual about atoms? lol I think the anatomy and function of the eyes and ears are pretty amazing. The functioning human body is amazing.

Some of those experiences you describe as spiritual, Id call sentimental.
Where does deja vu fit in? Information stored and remembered later makes sense but there must be more to it.

No, I am concluding it must be "Spiritual Nature" and I call that "God" because, why not?

So you are pretty sure that 5% of the human race is correct and 95% is delusional? And we've been like that for all of our civilized existence?
Possibly

You are spiritual about atoms? lol I think the anatomy and function of the eyes and ears are pretty amazing. The functioning human body is amazing.

Some of those experiences you describe as spiritual, Id call sentimental.
Where does deja vu fit in? Information stored and remembered later makes sense but there must be more to it.
There are some things we don’t know and some things we will never know.

If we are just talking about a generic creator of the universe then belief isn’t necessary and it is scientifically explainable. We just don’t know it yet.

So who has a problem with atheists? Must only be someone who belongs to a religion. A man made religion. Not even boss denies the stories are real. So if religion evolves into what boss believes then no harm no foul. He isn’t telling us it visited and helped him write a rule book in which he will use to manipulate and control the masses

The neurons fire, not as a result of neurons firing (illogical paradox) but as the result of brain activity and sensory perception from various nerve endings.

Well, no... it's really NOT.

Of course, spirituality IS, indeed, only neurons firing in your brain, just as is everything other function your brain performs. There is no magical intervention which defies determinism. "Free will", as you obviously see it, does not exist, and the thoughts you have and your actions are determined and chosen before you are consciously aware they have been chosen, or that you have "chosen" them.
To put this simply, it's not that you don't believe in God, it's that you don't believe in the Christian God who holds you accountable for your immoral behaviors.

Hmm, no, wrong again. I don't believe there are any gods. I believe I have a brain that is a physical system which "thinks" and 'feels", which are language constructs we invented to describe phenomenon in our observed reality, just like "tree" and 'rock", or "flow", like of a river.

Of course, spirituality IS, indeed, only neurons firing in your brain,

images

spirituality is a manifestation of life - physiology only exists as a metaphysical creation and dissolves when no longer in use - Flora, half the metaphysical presence on earth functions entirely without a CNS whether FF recognizes the distinction or not, all creatures are metaphysical beings.

Forum List

Back