Atheist answer to the 10 Commandments: 10 rational positions

More sanctimonious BS from our resident egotist.
Yet another ad hominem attack from our resident irrational fanatic.
Are we somehow supposed to believe that this fantastical set of rules is the answer? Are YOU God?
Fuck off, idiot. Read the thread title, then read the OP - all of it - then attack me, again, since you are clearly incapable of a rational response...
First, I read it all ....

Second, I am appalled at the hubris of those who think they are so much more gifted than anyone else that they have the moral authority to try to dictate how people live their lives.

Third, I find your inflated sense of self-importance to be offensive in the extreme. I am stunned that someone who put this list together thinks that others should fall to their knees in blind obedience to the obviously superior intellect demonstrated by 10 lines of bullshit. You offer these as if you are some superior level of intelligence, deigning to pass on the fruits of your wisdom, when, in fact, the ignorance is virtually dripping from every word. The whole thing is a poorly veiled attempt to further specific political values by elevating them to the level of "commandments".

Fourth, you offer no rules - you offer "suggestions" There isn't a concrete piece of logical or philosophical merit in a single one of those "commandments", much less in the package as a whole. You tout the simplicity, but intentionally ignore the outward consequences. Simplicity would seem to be appropriate, but maybe simplistic is more germane.

Your "suggestions" are nothing more than a feeble attempt to demonstrate some level of intelligence you have yet to attain.

Rational response? Drivel like this doesn't deserve a rational response - it deserves ridicule and contempt, and must be dismissed by all adult rational thinkers.
So you hate the people who wrote the Bible’s? I read your second point and that question immediately came to mind
Ha Satan and his agents and slaves surely hate anyone associated with the Hebrew or Greek Bibles. This stems from their abiding hate for God, for St. Michael, and for his guardian angels.

Some things never change.

1. Be open minded and willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
  2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not believe what you want to be true.
  3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
  4. Every person has the right to control their own body.
  5. God is not necessary to be a good person, or to live a full and meaningful life.
  6. Be mindful of the consequences of all of your actions and recognise that you must take responsibility for them.
  7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect they want to be treated.
  8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations - which is not to be confused with unborn non-viable fetuses.
  9. There is no right way to live.
  10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are rational positions by which to live one's life; unlike certain "commandments" of an irrational mythology one might mention.

Um what’s with the need to be counter Christian...this isn’t atheism, this is “we are not Christian.” Just be comfortable with your own freaking atheism, YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TO KEEP COMPARING YOURSELF CHRISTIANITY. Atheism doesn’t need its own 10 commandments, just be an atheist and go about your day. YOURE NOT REALLY AN ATHEIST, YOURE JUST A COUNTER CHRISTIAN.

Let me put it this way, if I felt secure in my ability as a nurse, I wouldn’t feel the need to continually compare myself to others nurses and continually publicly go out and talk about how I’m much better than the nurses around me. If I was doing that...well then I’m really not all that confident in my abilities and feel the need to compensate by always comparing myself to other nurses.
That's not a fair response or analogy. This is a forum for a free exchange and discussion of ideas. You act as if this guy knocked on your door and shoved a flyer in your face, or ruined yet another barbecue by gathering everyone around to preach...... when, in reality, you turned on your device, opened your browser, navigated to this website, and then opened this thread.
This is probably his 5th thread doing this sort of thing. He might as well just be a satanist. Atheism shouldn’t be mimicking Christianity, there’s ZERO need for it as an atheist. It’s like capitalism mimicking communism.
I completely agree sakinago .

I salute you. And thank you.

Incidentally, Spare_change , the one thing you got right is that the 10 Rational positions are suggestions. After all, #8: There is no right way to live. That position, alone, dictates that no one has the moral authority to dictate to anyone else how they have to live. The fact that they are suggestions, alone, makes them light years better than the 10 commandments, which presumes that anyone has the authority to dictate a set personal morality to anyone else.
Nihilism is just plain false, and thats agreed upon by pretty much everyone in society, whether they know about it or not. We all want a form of a justice system, to protect us from those who wish to wrong us. If nihilism is true, then we have no recourse to say what a pedophile does is wrong. Or to say what parents do who abuse or neglect their children is wrong. This goes beyond our justice system as well. We consider a boss acting on nothing but greed at the expense of their employees to be wrong, not illegal but wrong. Or someone who bases their life and ego on obtaining fame to be wrong, again not illegal,

I speak out because, so long as there are militant theists attempting to impose their agenda on society at large, there have to be people who are vocal about the advancement of knowledge over faith. It's okay if you don't want to be one of those people, but please do not censure me for taking up that fight on your behalf.

Problem is you are a moron...
Coming from an imbecile trying to disguise theism as "spirituality", I'll take that as a compliment.

Well you can call it theism if you want to display your ignorance even more than you already have but theist requires a theology. There is no theology of spiritualism.

Incidentally, Spare_change , the one thing you got right is that the 10 Rational positions are suggestions. After all, #8: There is no right way to live. That position, alone, dictates that no one has the moral authority to dictate to anyone else how they have to live. The fact that they are suggestions, alone, makes them light years better than the 10 commandments, which presumes that anyone has the authority to dictate a set personal morality to anyone else.
Nihilism is just plain false, and thats agreed upon by pretty much everyone in society, whether they know about it or not. We all want a form of a justice system, to protect us from those who wish to wrong us. If nihilism is true, then we have no recourse to say what a pedophile does is wrong. Or to say what parents do who abuse or neglect their children is wrong. This goes beyond our justice system as well. We consider a boss acting on nothing but greed at the expense of their employees to be wrong, not illegal but wrong. Or someone who bases their life and ego on obtaining fame to be wrong, again not illegal,
So like we use Santa to teach naughty and nice you need a fairytale to be morale? You don’t know pedophilia is wrong? That’s why we have laws.

You may wish to believe that everybody believes in a god but many don’t. They might not tell you but they are out there. Laws are for us because we don’t believe in heaven hell or god.

And the funny thing is we still know it’s not right to steal lie or bang your wife.

Although I will lust for her in my mind. Nothing will stop a nihilist from doing that

So like we use Santa to teach naughty and nice you need a fairytale to be morale? You don’t know pedophilia is wrong? That’s why we have laws.

You may wish to believe that everybody believes in a god but many don’t. They might not tell you but they are out there. Laws are for us because we don’t believe in heaven hell or god.

And the funny thing is we still know it’s not right to steal lie or bang your wife.

Although I will lust for her in my mind. Nothing will stop a nihilist from doing that
You don’t know what nihilism means...it means the world is devoid of morality, there is no right or wrong. Morality is a false construct we set up, it’s an illusion. So in nihilism, there is nothing wrong with pedophilia, because there is NO wrong. Nothing matters. That’s nihilism. You believe in nothing, including “societies morality”.

But you're not explaining the basis for your morals. You're telling us what you "don't need" but you've not explained how you are to discern "good" from "bad" in that context. Without some mooring and foundation, the concept of "good" and "bad" is simply self-defined and arbitrary. Hitler thought it "good" to rid the world of the Jew. Mao thought it was "good" to execute all the capitalists. Humans can rationalize all sorts of "good" whenever there is no moral accountability.

You say you "know it's not right" but how do you know? Nature says "survival of the fittest" ...if you can whip someone's ass and take their wife and resources, that's Nature. You establish yourself as the alpha male by eliminating the competition. You're not presenting any reason for humans to divert from nature in favor of morality and ethics.

2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not believe what you want to be true.
  3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
  5. God is not necessary to be a good person, or to live a full and meaningful life.
  6. Be mindful of the consequences of all of your actions and recognise that you must take responsibility for them.
  7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect they want to be treated.
  8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations - which is not to be confused with unborn non-viable fetuses.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are rational positions by which to live one's life; unlike certain "commandments" of an irrational mythology one might mention.

Um what’s with the need to be counter Christian...this isn’t atheism, this is “we are not Christian.” Just be comfortable with your own freaking atheism, YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TO KEEP COMPARING YOURSELF CHRISTIANITY. Atheism doesn’t need its own 10 commandments, just be an atheist and go about your day. YOURE NOT REALLY AN ATHEIST, YOURE JUST A COUNTER CHRISTIAN.

Let me put it this way, if I felt secure in my ability as a nurse, I wouldn’t feel the need to continually compare myself to others nurses and continually publicly go out and talk about how I’m much better than the nurses around me. If I was doing that...well then I’m really not all that confident in my abilities and feel the need to compensate by always comparing myself to other nurses.
That's not a fair response or analogy. This is a forum for a free exchange and discussion of ideas. You act as if this guy knocked on your door and shoved a flyer in your face, or ruined yet another barbecue by gathering everyone around to preach...... when, in reality, you turned on your device, opened your browser, navigated to this website, and then opened this thread.
This is probably his 5th thread doing this sort of thing. He might as well just be a satanist. Atheism shouldn’t be mimicking Christianity, there’s ZERO need for it as an atheist. It’s like capitalism mimicking communism.
I speak out because, so long as there are militant theists attempting to impose their agenda on society at large, there have to be people who are vocal about the advancement of knowledge over faith. It's okay if you don't want to be one of those people, but please do not censure me for taking up that fight on your behalf.
What militant theist are in our society? If youre talking about Muslim extremism, well announcing atheism to them isn’t going to solve that problem. Are there people who are dicks that use Christianity out there, absolutely, but there’s plenty of people who use their politics, beliefs, race, and even fandom of sports teams to be dicks.
Really? You haven't noticed Militant Christian Dominionists trying to force their religion-based morality on this country through force of law? Attempts to enact abortion bans, bathroom requirements, attempts to stop same-sex marriage, and when that failed attempts to make discrimination against homosexuals legally justified. I'm pretty sure you know all of this continues to happen in this country, so to pretend you don't is rather dishonest.

We live in a free society (somewhat free) because of religious beliefs, beliefs based off the philosophy of a mix naturalism, and Kantism. Our founders believed that since “god granted” humans free will, it’s wrong for government to impose itself onto free will. Since god gave us the ability of thought, speech and reason, it is not governments place to try to control that, or impose their brand of religion/thought/speech onto the masses. Because every soul is unique and special to god, all men are created as equals and are to be treated as such, no lords or nobility, we are all precious to our god. That’s natural Law, the belief that god gave us the abilities for a reason, therefore government shall not interfere with the “natural order.” The idea that god gave us the ability to believe or not believe in him, therefore government doesn’t know any better than god nor should act on it...is what gave you the ability to be an open atheist. They did this when religion was dominant and fairly uniform, and there wasn’t much motivation to do so other than religious beliefs. And it was a revolutionary idea that had the single largest positive effect on the entire world. Our governments founding is an example of “imposing” religious beliefs, by stripping away governments ability to act as “God”.
It's adorable that you believe this. unfortunately it isn't really true. "God" didn't give us any of these things, because God doesn't exist. As for the founding fathers, the majority of them were deists, not theists - there is a difference. The First Amendment didn't come about out of some religious view. It came about because the last thing Anti-federalists wanted was an all-encompassing central government. They had just left that behind with England, and had no desire to return to it here. Even your acknowledgement of the influence of Kant demonstrat3es that you are aware that the Bill of Rights are not Theistic.

Also that didn’t qualifiy as censorship, not even close. Tone down the victim mentality.
I said censure, genius, not censor. Perhaps you should look it up.

But you're not explaining the basis for your morals. You're telling us what you "don't need" but you've not explained how you are to discern "good" from "bad" in that context. Without some mooring and foundation, the concept of "good" and "bad" is simply self-defined and arbitrary. Hitler thought it "good" to rid the world of the Jew. Mao thought it was "good" to execute all the capitalists. Humans can rationalize all sorts of "good" whenever there is no moral accountability.

You say you "know it's not right" but how do you know? Nature says "survival of the fittest" ...if you can whip someone's ass and take their wife and resources, that's Nature. You establish yourself as the alpha male by eliminating the competition. You're not presenting any reason for humans to divert from nature in favor of morality and ethics.
How do I know it was wrong of hitler? Golden rule?

It is simply impossible for you people to stay on topic, isn't it? You cannot conceive of a system of morality that is not grounded in legality. Of course social Nihilism is self-destructive. Which is why I do not, nor have I ever, advocated such. Moral relativism is not synonymous with Nihilism.

Sorry, number 7 and 8 come from Christ who came up with the Golden Rule which said that if you obey this law you obey the entire law.

Stop with the plagiarizing and come up with some new material.
Actually they don't. The "Golden Rule" dates all the way back to ancient Sumeria, and predates Jesus by, about 700 years. So, if my material was "plagiarised", then so was Jesus'

Last edited:

Sorry, number 7 and 8 come from Christ who came up with the Golden Rule which said that if you obey this law you obey the entire law.

Stop with the plagiarizing and come up with some new material.
Actually they don't. The "Golden Rule" dates all the way back to ancient Sumeria, and predates Jesus by, about 700 years. So, if my material was "plagiarised", then so was Jesus'
And what did Christianity do for the Indians when we came over on the mayflower? Those christians ruined their lives.

Now imagine if Christopher Columbus went over with your rules to live by.

Maybe we needed evil christians to go first. You and I would have been too fair and done the right thing.

How do I know it was wrong of hitler? Golden rule?
The Golden Rule is a spiritual concept. Do you know of ANY creature in nature that practices the Golden Rule? It's not a "naturalist" principle. In nature, there is no "Golden Rule" ...only the strongest survive. You do unto others before they can do unto you!

It is our human spirituality which gives us the rationalization of "the greater good" and similar anecdotes. That's why I said, this whole line of reasoning about "rational positions" is actually a testament to human spiritualism and our comprehension of a power greater than self which holds us morally accountable.

And what did Christianity do for the Indians when we came over on the mayflower? Those christians ruined their lives.

Actually, the Puritans got along rather well with the Native Americans they encountered here. They allied with certain tribes and fought against common enemies. Even through the American Revolution, the Native Americans were our allies in many cases.

You don't know much about history, huh?

You had centuries of a head start over us. We are finally allowed to spread the truth without fear for our safety. It wasn’t always this way in fact it’s still dangerous to be an atheist in a Muslim country.

And if you’re so confident why would anything we say effect you other than to feel sorry for us that we don’t get to go to heaven when we die. And live for eternity in paradise. Never get sick or be sad. Basically you think you become a god when you died.

You may think the lie society is swallowing is good for us. I can tell you a million good and bad things about religion. To me it all boils down to this question. Is it good the masses swallow an impossible story regardless of the lack of evidence? I don’t think so. If they can be convinced of virgin births and walking on water then they are proving to the people who rule that we are still an ignorant group who can be convinced of anything.

No one should accept anything without evidence especially extraordinary claims.
So spirituality may cause your neurons to fire in your brain but it's not the other way around.

what is this absurd nonsense? The only thing that causes neurons to fire in your brain is other neurons firing in your brain and in the rest of your body. Yes, neurons firing leads to feelings and thoughts, including spirituality. more accurately: spirituality, feelings, thoughts, and emotions ARE neurons firing. I know the brain is not magical. I am trying to explain this to you, who seems to think it is.

No, you are not learning any profound truths, metaphysical or otherwise. No, you are not being divined any knowledge. It's simply a feeling, and thoughts, and emotions. Nothing more. You may find a "spiritual" state of mind productive for solving a problem, or remembering a lost memory, but that is merely the processes of your subconscious (which both works on problems in the background and retains memories of which you are not consciously aware) influencing your consciousness.
You are among the 5% of humans who don't comprehend your spiritual connection.

Excuse you, I quite clearly said I have spiritual experiences. For instance, the serenity and wonder I feel when I contemplate the trip the atoms in my body have taken. The idea of my life passing as a bridge between the lives of my ancestors and my children, and the responsibility that brings. Or, when an old photo makes me yearn for a place, or when a piece of classical music takes me to "another place". Who are you, you fraud, to say there is something imperfect or inadequate about my "spirituality"? You have a bad habit of thinking you wield some sort of divine, authoritative truth... when you really just have a sack of rather incoherent opinions.

You also have a bad habit of insisting everyone else "is just too stupid to understand" what you are saying.... sooner or later, you're going to figure out that this happens because you are both vague and incoherent, from one moment to the next. Much of what you say is literally nebulous pap that can mean nothing or a myriad of things. Or, maybe you won't figure it out.

You are spiritual about atoms? lol I think the anatomy and function of the eyes and ears are pretty amazing. The functioning human body is amazing.

Some of those experiences you describe as spiritual, Id call sentimental.
Where does deja vu fit in? Information stored and remembered later makes sense but there must be more to it.
There are some things we don’t know and some things we will never know.

If we are just talking about a generic creator of the universe then belief isn’t necessary and it is scientifically explainable. We just don’t know it yet.

So who has a problem with atheists? Must only be someone who belongs to a religion. A man made religion. Not even boss denies the stories are real. So if religion evolves into what boss believes then no harm no foul. He isn’t telling us it visited and helped him write a rule book in which he will use to manipulate and control the masses

Men use different way to control the masses. The Bible is just one of them.
PC is currently being used and some can't even see it. PC started as respect equality human rights and now it's used for agendas...Same thing people did with Christianity.

So, you are suggesting that advertising causes people to do things they would not otherwise do? Such as?

lol......please tell me this was not a serious question......
Yeah, it was. That you didn't answer. I'll wait.
Buy two whoppers for $6. I saw the damn commercial the night before
Rally? So you don't like whoppe3rsx, but were just overwhelmed by the need to buy them? My what a weak will you must have.

Forum List

Back