Atheist answer to the 10 Commandments: 10 rational positions

And religion gave us the Inquisition, the Witch trials, the Crusades, and Jihad. Your point?

Jihad is the radical fanaticism of a false religion. The Inquisition, Crusades and witch trials resulted in a whopping 2,300 deaths total. Eugenics has killed millions.

Didnt science give us eugenics
And religion gave us the Inquisition, the Witch trials, the Crusades, and Jihad. Your point?
Religion is not Christianity....and if you want to advertise something as better maybe it shouldnt be responsible for even bigger slaughter
Except you can't point to a single slaughter in the name of atheism Note, I didn't say that you can't name any atheists who were responsible for slaughters; rather, I said you cannot demonstrate a single slaughter done in the name of atheism. I, on the other hand, can point to numerous slaughters done in the name of religions.

Religion is not Christianity....and if you want to advertise something as better maybe it shouldnt be responsible for even bigger slaughter
Except you can't point to a single slaughter in the name of atheism Note, I didn't say that you can't name any atheists who were responsible for slaughters; rather, I said you cannot demonstrate a single slaughter done in the name of atheism. I, on the other hand, can point to numerous slaughters done in the name of religions.
Eugenics .....helped pave path to massive slaughter.....its called WWII...thanks science

Jihad is the radical fanaticism of a false religion. The Inquisition, Crusades and witch trials resulted in a whopping 2,300 deaths total. Eugenics has killed millions.
No, it hasn't. I know, I know. "All those poor defensless unborn babies!!!!!"

Sorry, a fetus is not a person. And abortion isn't about eugenics.

Eugenics .....helped pave path to massive slaughter.....its called WWII...thanks science
Wrong. Racism paved the way to WWII. And WWII was not done in the name of atheism.

depositphotos_38418033-stock-illustration-epic-fail-stamp.jpg

And meanwhile athesits slaughter babies by calling them non-persons.......havent heard that lingo before nooooooooo

You dont know your history...fail yourself.....and dont even hand me Hitler was a Christian crap
Well, he was certainly not an atheist. But, you already know that, and have read his own statements about religion, and God, or you wouldn't have so quickly insisted that I not tell you he was a Christian. Further, Eugenics is a set of beliefs and practices that aims at improving the genetic quality of a human population. It's not a theological position. You have still failed to present a single slaughter done in the name of atheism. But, we do still have the slaughters done in the name of religion.

And meanwhile athesits slaughter babies by calling them non-persons.......havent heard that lingo before nooooooooo
Yeah, yeah, yeah. "Fetuses are people, too!!!" Whatever. And of course no one who is a Christian ever has an abortion. Do better.

The inquisition, alone, was responsible for over 3,000 deaths. Do better.

Um what’s with the need to be counter Christian...this isn’t atheism, this is “we are not Christian.” Just be comfortable with your own freaking atheism, YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TO KEEP COMPARING YOURSELF CHRISTIANITY. Atheism doesn’t need its own 10 commandments, just be an atheist and go about your day. YOURE NOT REALLY AN ATHEIST, YOURE JUST A COUNTER CHRISTIAN.

Let me put it this way, if I felt secure in my ability as a nurse, I wouldn’t feel the need to continually compare myself to others nurses and continually publicly go out and talk about how I’m much better than the nurses around me. If I was doing that...well then I’m really not all that confident in my abilities and feel the need to compensate by always comparing myself to other nurses.
That's not a fair response or analogy. This is a forum for a free exchange and discussion of ideas. You act as if this guy knocked on your door and shoved a flyer in your face, or ruined yet another barbecue by gathering everyone around to preach...... when, in reality, you turned on your device, opened your browser, navigated to this website, and then opened this thread.
This is probably his 5th thread doing this sort of thing. He might as well just be a satanist. Atheism shouldn’t be mimicking Christianity, there’s ZERO need for it as an atheist. It’s like capitalism mimicking communism.
I speak out because, so long as there are militant theists attempting to impose their agenda on society at large, there have to be people who are vocal about the advancement of knowledge over faith. It's okay if you don't want to be one of those people, but please do not censure me for taking up that fight on your behalf.
What militant theist are in our society? If youre talking about Muslim extremism, well announcing atheism to them isn’t going to solve that problem. Are there people who are dicks that use Christianity out there, absolutely, but there’s plenty of people who use their politics, beliefs, race, and even fandom of sports teams to be dicks.
Really? You haven't noticed Militant Christian Dominionists trying to force their religion-based morality on this country through force of law? Attempts to enact abortion bans, bathroom requirements, attempts to stop same-sex marriage, and when that failed attempts to make discrimination against homosexuals legally justified. I'm pretty sure you know all of this continues to happen in this country, so to pretend you don't is rather dishonest.

We live in a free society (somewhat free) because of religious beliefs, beliefs based off the philosophy of a mix naturalism, and Kantism. Our founders believed that since “god granted” humans free will, it’s wrong for government to impose itself onto free will. Since god gave us the ability of thought, speech and reason, it is not governments place to try to control that, or impose their brand of religion/thought/speech onto the masses. Because every soul is unique and special to god, all men are created as equals and are to be treated as such, no lords or nobility, we are all precious to our god. That’s natural Law, the belief that god gave us the abilities for a reason, therefore government shall not interfere with the “natural order.” The idea that god gave us the ability to believe or not believe in him, therefore government doesn’t know any better than god nor should act on it...is what gave you the ability to be an open atheist. They did this when religion was dominant and fairly uniform, and there wasn’t much motivation to do so other than religious beliefs. And it was a revolutionary idea that had the single largest positive effect on the entire world. Our governments founding is an example of “imposing” religious beliefs, by stripping away governments ability to act as “God”.
It's adorable that you believe this. unfortunately it isn't really true. "God" didn't give us any of these things, because God doesn't exist. As for the founding fathers, the majority of them were deists, not theists - there is a difference. The First Amendment didn't come about out of some religious view. It came about because the last thing Anti-federalists wanted was an all-encompassing central government. They had just left that behind with England, and had no desire to return to it here. Even your acknowledgement of the influence of Kant demonstrat3es that you are aware that the Bill of Rights are not Theistic.

Also that didn’t qualifiy as censorship, not even close. Tone down the victim mentality.
I said censure, genius, not censor. Perhaps you should look it up.
Simple fix to stop people from using government to impose their beliefs on others: TAKE THAT POWER AWAY FROM GOVERNMENT. Wow what a concept. Problem solved. Believe it or not it’s already on the books, we just have a hard time following it.
“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”

Abortion: not even a religious issue even though many religious people are against it. Do not conflate. It’s largely an issue of the value of human life vs convenience.

Bathroom requirements: also not even a religious issue. Do we jump all aboard on the not at all science based still in infancy pseudoscience that is “gender fluidity”...or should we take a step back and say, “maybe we shouldn’t just let people walk whatever bathroom they want based on how they happen to feel at that time.” Maybe some food for thought.

Same sex marriage: Would not have had a problem if we just followed the first amendment. Instead we decided to hand that decision over to the government. Now we have a whole slew of new problems, that was supposed to solve he original problem.

There is no evidence that most our founders were diest vs theist, that’s all conjecture and the evidence points to the contrary outside of Thomas Paine and franklin, maybe some other not so popular ones. EVEN IF THAT WAS THE CASE. Deism IS STILL A RELIGIOUS BELIEF. More importantly natural law, is a largely religious belief/ religiously motivated. And it’s the belief that there is a natural order to the world (usually carried out by a creator) and that natural order should not be trifled with, ESPECIALLY GOVERNMENT.

The inquisition, alone, was responsible for over 3,000 deaths. Do better.

The Crusades, about 250... Salem witch trials, less than 50.

2,300 total.

There is no evidence that most our founders were diest vs theist, that’s all conjecture and the evidence points to the contrary outside of Thomas Paine and franklin, maybe some other not so popular ones. EVEN IF THAT WAS THE CASE. Deism IS STILL A RELIGIOUS BELIEF. More importantly natural law, is a largely religious belief/ religiously motivated. And it’s the belief that there is a natural order to the world (usually carried out by a creator) and that natural order should not be trifled with, ESPECIALLY GOVERNMENT.

The Founding Fathers were in a precarious position when it came to public profession of their personal faith. These men were trying to establish a nation free from religious constraint and open to all faiths, they couldn't very well do that while maintaining a perception of alliance with any one faith in particular so they often opted to identify as "deist" or keep that to themselves altogether. And as you pointed out, deism is not atheism, far from it.

Sorry, a fetus is not a person. And abortion isn't about eugenics.

Sorry, but your political viewpoint doesn't negate actual science and biology. Until you can show me how a fetus is NOT a living human being, it remains a living human being in the fetal stage of development. If it weren't a living human being, there would be no termination through abortion necessary.

And YES.. abortion was most certainly devised and promoted as a form of Eugenics by Margaret Sanger. Denying that a human fetus isn't human is no different than denying Jews, slaves or infidels are human. And this is the entire problem with your moral relativism and "rational positions" argument.

Forum List

Back