Atheist: Okay to Disparage Christians, But Islam Off-Limits Because of ‘Fear’

As an atheist I agree. Those guys will kill your ass. The Muslims are a great example of how the God hypothesis is bad for us. But don't tell them I said it.

Atheists in collectivist countries have murdered orders of magnitude more people in the last 135 years than all of the victims of religion over the last 2,000 years. If you want to compare murder rates you lose.
Debatable. And they didn't kill because of athiesm, did they?

Not even close to debatable. The most wildly optimistic estimates for religious murders is slightly more than 1.5 million. There simply weren't that many people out there to be murdered for one thing. Stalin alone is responsible for between 35 and 60 million. Mao another 150 million, and we would be remiss to not include Hitler and his 5 to 6 million. Pol Pot 2 million, etc.

So no. Atheists are the most murderous group this planet has ever seen.
You didn't listen to a word we've said. You believe what you want to believe.

The German Nazis were Christians. Bush killed 1 million in Iraq alone. Did you count that? That was Christian Americans killing Muslims.

I don't care if bush or Hitler were athiests. What were the Germans in 1944? What was America in 2003? Christians! Your math is fuzzy.
Bush killed 1 million? OK, let's run with those phony numbers. Godless Communist governments of 20th century murdered an estimated 160 million of their own citizens.
Funny how the left are never upset about that.
It's like their faux outrage at war. Anyone see Cindy Sheehan or Code Pink now that Obama has invaded Syria?
I think it's funny your religions use fuzzy math in your numbers of murders attributed to atheists or athiesm.

Here's one religion can't deny. The 30 year war between Catholics and Protestants. 8 million murdered. It isn't debatable Christianity is to blame for all 8 million of those deaths. How many died in the crusade?

Not even close to debatable. The most wildly optimistic estimates for religious murders is slightly more than 1.5 million. There simply weren't that many people out there to be murdered for one thing. Stalin alone is responsible for between 35 and 60 million. Mao another 150 million, and we would be remiss to not include Hitler and his 5 to 6 million. Pol Pot 2 million, etc.

The German Nazis were Christians. Bush killed 1 million in Iraq alone. Did you count that? That was Christian Americans killing Muslims.

I don't care if bush or Hitler were athiests. What were the Germans in 1944? What was America in 2003? Christians! Your math is fuzzy.
Bush killed 1 million? OK, let's run with those phones numbers. Godless Communist governments of 20th century murdered an estimated 160 million of their own citizens.
It's like their faux outrage at war. Anyone see Cindy Sheehan or Code Pink now that Obama has invaded Syria?
I'm curious where you got that 160 figure. Share plz.
Funny how Leftard Universities never teach about what communism really does to societies. And when you are aware of it you shrug it off.

20th Century Democide
No one wants or likes communism

I hope everyone had a blessed Samhain.....we had a bonfire with our neighbors with food and desert and adult beverages....even had an outdoor movie screen showing Hocus Pocus and The Goonies. Fun times to be had by all.

Incorrect on most of it. Hitler was linked at the hip with the Catholic church.

More importantly, what good is any religion if at ANY time it results in the murder of millions of people? We are to judge whether a religion is worthy if it has murdered less people than someone else?

Bizarro world. Which is the domain of religion.

Are you saying that Hitler was a Christian? Please tell me you not that stupid.
Hitler was in fact a Christian.

You should quit while you're behind, you're seriously hobbled by your ignorance.

The premise of your thread failed as a consequence of your ignorance of public accommodations laws, and you continue to exhibit your ignorance with this post.
Not a practicing christain, BIG DIFFERENCE.

Most kristians in the US are not practicing Christians. Or if they are practicing they aren't getting any better at it.
Real Christians like conservative born again and Catholics have even admitted you can't just say you believe in Jesus and you go to heaven. Hell, born again don't even thing conservative Catholics are going to heaven.

So I wonder how many real Christians are out there. I mean real Christians who believe the bible to be literally the word of God. That believe non Christians go to hell. That Mary was a virgin.

I think real Christians don't mind having those cherry pickers inflate their numbers.

Cherry Pickers is a good word for them. I'd say 98% of people that claim to be Christian cherry pick a sentence of phrase here and there and convince themselves they are followers of Christ when they are he exact opposite. I have relatives who call themselves Christian that are the most material people I know. Not Christians at all.

I can honestly say that there has only been one person I ever met that actually strived to live up to the image of Christ. Her husband was a phoney as were her children. But she actually lived what she professed to believe.

Atheists in collectivist countries have murdered orders of magnitude more people in the last 135 years than all of the victims of religion over the last 2,000 years. If you want to compare murder rates you lose.

Bush killed 1 million? OK, let's run with those phony numbers. Godless Communist governments of 20th century murdered an estimated 160 million of their own citizens.
I think it's funny your religions use fuzzy math in your numbers of murders attributed to atheists or athiesm.

Here's one religion can't deny. The 30 year war between Catholics and Protestants. 8 million murdered. It isn't debatable Christianity is to blame for all 8 million of those deaths. How many died in the crusade?

You do realize that the overwhelming majority of deaths in the 30 years war were caused by disease. Namely Typhus, Plague and Dysentary. The book below is the bible on the war and his exaustive research shows the causes of the deaths in great detail. Actual military losses over the 30 years is around 450,000.

51DcVhOBfVL._SX340_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Thirty-Years-War-Europes-Tragedy/dp/0674036344&tag=ff0d01-20

You do realize that the overwhelming majority of deaths in the 30 years war were caused by disease. Namely Typhus, Plague and Dysentary. The book below is the bible on the war and his exaustive research shows the causes of the deaths in great detail. Actual military losses over the 30 years is around 450,000.

http://www.amazon.com/Thirty-Years-War-Europes-Tragedy/dp/0674036344&tag=ff0d01-20
Oh...."only" 450,000. Well then. Tis merely a scratch.....

Which in no way mitigates the fact that those deaths were likewise the result of religious wars.

Over 30 years? Yeah, it is. There are still 160,000 MISSING from the British and German armies from the Battle of the Somme. Imagine that, a SINGLE battle from WWI has more casualties than ALL of the 30 years war combined.

Last edited:

Which in no way mitigates the fact that those deaths were likewise the result of religious wars.

Actually the 30 years war was a series of expansions. The terrible atrocities were no doubt religion induced but the war itself was a simple war of conquest. I don't remember the full particulars, but Gustavus Adolphus had claims against the Danes. The Austrians had claims in the north and the Poles were worried about Sweden's designs on Europe. Toss in France and her interests, and Great Britain and her interest in the Free Cities and of course Spanish holdings in the Low Countries and there was a huge powder keg with the fuse well lit.

It's so refreshing to finally see someone from the left tell the unvarnished truth.

(CNSNews.com) – An atheist professor said Tuesday that it’s acceptable to criticize Christians but not Muslims, because he does not “fear” retaliation from Christians.

“I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear,” Phil Zuckerman said at a discussion on religious liberty at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. “I’ve got three kids.

“So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you,” said Zuckerman, who is a self-described atheist and professor of secular studies at Pitzer College in Claremont, Calif.

Zuckerman was a panelist at the discussion as part of Georgetown University’s Religious Freedom Project at its Berkley Center.

Kirsten Powers, a Democratic pundit, recent convert to Catholicism and author of the book “How the Left Is Killing Free Speech,” said at the event that she does not understand why Muslims can oppose same-sex marriage and not be targeted by the Left for it, but calling out Christians for their beliefs is acceptable.

Powers cited the hidden video recordings made earlier this year by Steven Crowder, who asked Muslim bakers in Michigan if they would bake a cake for a same-sex wedding and they refused.

“If these had been Christian bakeries, it would have been on the front page of the New York Times, so I’m wondering why we’re able to have this amicable, disagreement with Muslims for having this view,” Powers said. “Why are we not able to do that with Christians?

“I absolutely agree with you,” Zuckerman said.

“I absolutely agree that it is okay for those on the left to critique, mock, deride Christianity, but Islam gets a free pass, which is so strange, because if you care about women’s rights, if you care about human rights, if you care about gay rights, then really Islam is much more problematic – sorry to paint Islam with a huge brush – and much more devastating,” he said.

“As an atheist – where on planet Earth is the death penalty meted out to atheists?” Zuckerman said. “It’s only in, I think, 24 Muslim countries.

“Where have human rights flourished the most? In Christian nations,” he said.

“I see Christianity as a great friend of secular culture,” Zuckerman said. “I see Islam as much more of a threat, much more debilitating. I’m not talking about Muslim individuals that I happen to sit next to on an airplane or are my neighbors. I’m talking about doctrines and those that have the power to enforce those doctrines in the form of Sharia law.”

Zuckerman mentioned comedian Bill Maher, actor Ben Affleck and atheist and author Sam Harris and the reaction to their remarks about Islam.

“I would say two things,” Zuckerman said. “I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear.

“I’ve got three kids,” he said. “So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you.

“I would never write the same kind of stuff that I do about certain religions – Judaism, Christianity, LDS, whatever – as I would about Islam – just straight up fear,” Zuckerman said.

Keep in mind that Christians and Muslims hold many of the same beliefs. And whenever an atheist opposes a Christian belief, it always turns out that they're also opposing a Muslim belief.
Your ignorance is unbelievable. Islam and Christianity are complete opposites. The fact that you believe otherwise just shows that you are intellectually lazy, or just plain lying.

I'd say they're pretty similar.

Why? Firstly any religion is based on who interprets it. Christianity has many sects, as does Islam.

Secondly Christians do as much damage as Muslims. Bush is a Christian, look at the damage he did to the world.

There are plenty of differences, it's like having a house with rooms of different colors though.
Deflection noted

No deflection whatsoever. YOUR deflection is noted.

Over 30 years? Yeah, it is. There are still 160,000 MISSING from the British and German armies from the Battle of the Somme. Imagine that, a SINGLE battle from WWI has more casualties than ALL of the 30 years war combined.
Still doesn't erase Christians murderous history. And it's cute how you downsize or lowball your murders but inflate ours.

Mao and Stalin didn't kill as many as you think. A lot of those people starved to death. Lol.

Catholic Christians didn't kill as many Jews as you think. Many of them died of starvation. Lol

Actually the 30 years war was a series of expansions. The terrible atrocities were no doubt religion induced but the war itself was a simple war of conquest. I don't remember the full particulars, but Gustavus Adolphus had claims against the Danes. The Austrians had claims in the north and the Poles were worried about Sweden's designs on Europe. Toss in France and her interests, and Great Britain and her interest in the Free Cities and of course Spanish holdings in the Low Countries and there was a huge powder keg with the fuse well lit.
And no war was ever faught because of no God. But wars have been faught over God.

For example our war with Isis isny over God but both sides believe God is on their side.

The definition for "catholic church" is universal Church, it Pre-dates Catholic Church the two have nothing to do with each other.

Martin Luther was killed by the Catholic Church because of his beliefs and teachings.

Look up Martin Luther
Martin Luther died in his bed from a stroke.

The definition for "catholic church" is universal Church, it Pre-dates Catholic Church the two have nothing to do with each other.

Martin Luther was killed by the Catholic Church because of his beliefs and teachings.

Look up Martin Luther
Maybe he had a stroke after whipping freezing or whatever other ways he found to torture himself. He felt it brought him closer to God.

And he was sure the second coming would happen in his lifetime.

He's a perfect example of how worrying about God is a waste of your life.

Look up Martin Luther
Maybe he had a stroke after whipping freezing or whatever other ways he found to torture himself. He felt it brought him closer to God.

And he was sure the second coming would happen in his lifetime.

He's a perfect example of how worrying about God is a waste of your life.
I find these "who killed more" and "they weren't true Christian" arguments to be comical. It's not like politics, greed, forced industrialization of agrarian societies, and/or perceived threats to the state/church had anything to do with the tens of millions of deaths throughout human history. To claim otherwise is showing ignorance of religion,atheism, and history. If only it was that simple.

"Atheist: Okay to Disparage Christians, But Islam Off-Limits Because of ‘Fear’"

Another ridiculous lie from the right.

In the United States Christians are appropriately subject to criticism when they advocate conjoining church and state contrary to the Framers' mandate, or otherwise seek to codify religious dogma into secular law in violation of Establishment Clause jurisprudence.

And any Muslim in the United States who advocates for the same thing will likewise be subject to the same justified criticism as any Christian, having nothing to do with 'fear.'

Admittedly, this is as far as I have read on this thread. But when I see your answer all I can glean is this --

You have and ends from which you will not move, therefore, search for whatever means may support it (even it's rather flimsy) and IGNORE all means which make a your "ends" a sham.

That is how many liberals (and some conservatives, but far more liberals) operate. That is very much the case how so many skeptics and unbelievers in Christianity operate. About as disingenuous and deceptive as one can be.

It is obvious what the top poster said is true. The media, Hollywood, the government, educators, etc. all avoid criticizing Islam because they are afraid!!! Do I blame them? No. But quit denying the reality of it all, that is what we are saying. We are sick of everyone being dishonest or duplicitous and the naïve or ambivalent public too ignorant to recognize it or figure it out for themselves.

Just the way the media does not report on many stories or sugar coats scandals or plays up other B.S. is both obvious and sickening. Islam is more or less evil because it foments millions of violent fanatics. Fact! And Obama won't even call them Islamic terrorists, much less do anything about it. It was the video in Alabama that caused Benghazi don't you know?

"Atheist: Okay to Disparage Christians, But Islam Off-Limits Because of ‘Fear’"

Another ridiculous lie from the right.

In the United States Christians are appropriately subject to criticism when they advocate conjoining church and state contrary to the Framers' mandate, or otherwise seek to codify religious dogma into secular law in violation of Establishment Clause jurisprudence.

And any Muslim in the United States who advocates for the same thing will likewise be subject to the same justified criticism as any Christian, having nothing to do with 'fear.'

Admittedly, this is as far as I have read on this thread. But when I see your answer all I can glean is this --

You have and ends from which you will not move, therefore, search for whatever means may support it (even it's rather flimsy) and IGNORE all means which make a your "ends" a sham.

That is how many liberals (and some conservatives, but far more liberals) operate. That is very much the case how so many skeptics and unbelievers in Christianity operate. About as disingenuous and deceptive as one can be.

It is obvious what the top poster said is true. The media, Hollywood, the government, educators, etc. all avoid criticizing Islam because they are afraid!!! Do I blame them? No. But quit denying the reality of it all, that is what we are saying. We are sick of everyone being dishonest or duplicitous and the naïve or ambivalent public too ignorant to recognize it or figure it out for themselves.

Just the way the media does not report on many stories or sugar coats scandals or plays up other B.S. is both obvious and sickening. Islam is more or less evil because it foments millions of violent fanatics. Fact! And Obama won't even call them Islamic terrorists, much less do anything about it. It was the video in Alabama that caused Benghazi don't you know?

There are about 5 million Muslims in the US. There are about 247 million Christians (self proclaimed).

The reason Islam is ignored is because 99.9 % of the 'forcing of religion on others' comes from Christians because they are such a large number of people and aren't used to people pushing back. So there is this fake bizarre 'Christians are under attack' bullshit in con-media. Really? 62% of the population self-describes as 'christian' and they are the group that is under attack?

In what land of the perpetual victim does this even seem possible. Jesus H stop the whining! There isn't a line of Christians volunteering to go over and fight IsiL either. Hmm, wonder why.

Yes....hi-tech warfare is such a wonderful thing, isn't it?

You make it sound like "religious" wars are really just wars for gain. Can we apply that in all cases?

It's so refreshing to finally see someone from the left tell the unvarnished truth.

(CNSNews.com) – An atheist professor said Tuesday that it’s acceptable to criticize Christians but not Muslims, because he does not “fear” retaliation from Christians.

“I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear,” Phil Zuckerman said at a discussion on religious liberty at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. “I’ve got three kids.

“So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you,” said Zuckerman, who is a self-described atheist and professor of secular studies at Pitzer College in Claremont, Calif.

Zuckerman was a panelist at the discussion as part of Georgetown University’s Religious Freedom Project at its Berkley Center.

Kirsten Powers, a Democratic pundit, recent convert to Catholicism and author of the book “How the Left Is Killing Free Speech,” said at the event that she does not understand why Muslims can oppose same-sex marriage and not be targeted by the Left for it, but calling out Christians for their beliefs is acceptable.

Powers cited the hidden video recordings made earlier this year by Steven Crowder, who asked Muslim bakers in Michigan if they would bake a cake for a same-sex wedding and they refused.

“If these had been Christian bakeries, it would have been on the front page of the New York Times, so I’m wondering why we’re able to have this amicable, disagreement with Muslims for having this view,” Powers said. “Why are we not able to do that with Christians?

“I absolutely agree with you,” Zuckerman said.

“I absolutely agree that it is okay for those on the left to critique, mock, deride Christianity, but Islam gets a free pass, which is so strange, because if you care about women’s rights, if you care about human rights, if you care about gay rights, then really Islam is much more problematic – sorry to paint Islam with a huge brush – and much more devastating,” he said.

“As an atheist – where on planet Earth is the death penalty meted out to atheists?” Zuckerman said. “It’s only in, I think, 24 Muslim countries.

“Where have human rights flourished the most? In Christian nations,” he said.

“I see Christianity as a great friend of secular culture,” Zuckerman said. “I see Islam as much more of a threat, much more debilitating. I’m not talking about Muslim individuals that I happen to sit next to on an airplane or are my neighbors. I’m talking about doctrines and those that have the power to enforce those doctrines in the form of Sharia law.”

Zuckerman mentioned comedian Bill Maher, actor Ben Affleck and atheist and author Sam Harris and the reaction to their remarks about Islam.

“I would say two things,” Zuckerman said. “I know what keeps me from critiquing Islam on my blog is just fear.

“I’ve got three kids,” he said. “So I know I can say anything about Christianity or Mormonism, and I’m not living in fear, which is a testament to Christianity and Mormonism, and that’s wonderful. Thank you.

“I would never write the same kind of stuff that I do about certain religions – Judaism, Christianity, LDS, whatever – as I would about Islam – just straight up fear,” Zuckerman said.

Keep in mind that Christians and Muslims hold many of the same beliefs. And whenever an atheist opposes a Christian belief, it always turns out that they're also opposing a Muslim belief.
Your ignorance is unbelievable. Islam and Christianity are complete opposites. The fact that you believe otherwise just shows that you are intellectually lazy, or just plain lying.

I'd say they're pretty similar.

Why? Firstly any religion is based on who interprets it. Christianity has many sects, as does Islam.

Secondly Christians do as much damage as Muslims. Bush is a Christian, look at the damage he did to the world.

There are plenty of differences, it's like having a house with rooms of different colors though.
Deflection noted

No deflection whatsoever. YOUR deflection is noted.
I have to wonder what the motivation is to declare something a deflection when this thread has been making a smooth transition from one CONNECTED topic to another.....suddenly one thing is a "deflection"?

Forum List

Back