Atheists are the moral ones

hmmm...has Steven hawking died and come back from whatever is on the other side? didn't think so......he doesn't know either...he is a human, and therefore limited....

His mind is one of the most unlimited ones on the planet.

*I* have had 2 NDEs and been brought back.

Lemme tell ya, there ain't no Jesus waiting.

If there were, I would have better reason than most to be Christian.

Been there, ain't that.

Sorry.

Regards from Rosie

yeah...you have no idea either....

Who is more foolish....you...who claims to actually know the unknowable, or those who simply have faith?

who really sounds more stupid.....

hmmmm...has hawking been off the planet? Didn't think so.....has he been out of the solar system? Didn't think so....

so really....he doesn't really know all that much in the face of the knowledge of the universe......

He has been to the other side of a black hole. Majestically and beautifully and he showed all of humanity that it is a singularity.

So saying where he has not been is really silly.

Regards from Rosie

Malarkey. Atheists tend to practice situational ethics, where the ethics are judged on a case-by-case basis.

I am not an atheist, but I have one inviolable ethical rule: if Dick Cheney publically supports it, it is immoral.

Cheney privately supports his daughter Mary's gay marriage, so even Darth Vader has one ethical instance.

Regards from Rosie
from case to case, there exist different opinions. So my point still stands.

Stephen Hawking says God is not necessary for the Universe to exist.

Mathematically, God is redundant.

So, therefore, morality and ethical behavior need exactly ZERO outside arbiters.

Very many adults do not rely on fairy tales, or dusty tomes written by Middle Eastern nomads, in order to practice proper behavior.

Regards from Rosie
Maybe God isn't necessary, maybe it is, so what? I contend the cosmological argument necessitates a God, and haven't heard a decent rebuttal to it.

Outside of such an arbiter, there only exists individual preference on "moral and ethical behavior", and what one can and can't get away with in our life on earth.

I am glad you are so enlightened that Christianity is "unnecessary" for you, perhaps you find pleasure in the nihilistic darkness of a godless universe, I don't, and didn't when I was an atheist. But the fact is, organized religion is responsible for the organization of the first civilization(the first societies were run by a priestly class, such as Ur) and the first legal codes, see Hammurabi's Code of Laws. Religion serves a purpose beyond whether God exists, it unifies society and provides a cohesive moral foundation, it also provides necessary tradition and continuity for a society from generation to generation.

Your moral code, whether you like it or not, in Western society, is informed by Christian ethic, they didn't just come out of no where.

yeah...you have no idea either....

Who is more foolish....you...who claims to actually know the unknowable, or those who simply have faith?

who really sounds more stupid.....

Have you been brought back from dying during surgery?

You ever die in the ER?

So you know diddly. Less than most, in fact.

Regards from Rosie

obviously you came back...you didn't completely die...so you don't know....like walking up to a door but not entering the building.....

Malarkey. Atheists tend to practice situational ethics, where the ethics are judged on a case-by-case basis.

I am not an atheist, but I have one inviolable ethical rule: if Dick Cheney publically supports it, it is immoral.

Cheney privately supports his daughter Mary's gay marriage, so even Darth Vader has one ethical instance.

Regards from Rosie

So, therefore, morality and ethical behavior need exactly ZERO outside arbiters.

Very many adults do not rely on fairy tales, or dusty tomes written by Middle Eastern nomads, in order to practice proper behavior.

Regards from Rosie
Maybe God isn't necessary, maybe it is, so what?

Outside of such an arbiter, there only exists individual preference on "moral and ethical behavior", and what one can and can't get away with in our life on earth.

I am glad you are so enlightened that Christianity is "unnecessary" for you, perhaps you find pleasure in the nihilistic darkness of a godless universe, I don't, and didn't when I was an atheist. But the fact is, organized religion is responsible for the organization of the first civilization(the first societies were run by a priestly class, such as Ur) and the first legal codes, see Hammurabi's Code of Laws. Religion serves a purpose beyond whether God exists, it unifies society and provides a cohesive moral foundation, it also provides necessary tradition and continuity for a society from generation to generation.

Your moral code, whether you like it or not, in Western society, is informed by Christian ethic, they didn't just come out of no where.

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie
Maybe God isn't necessary, maybe it is, so what? I contend the cosmological argument necessitates a God, and haven't heard a decent rebuttal to it.

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

Tell it to over a billion Chinese who have had a society exist for 5,000 years.
Buddha and Confucius were teachers and not religious ones.

The MAJORITY of people on Earth are not Christian and their societies are not crumbling.

The ones that seem to want to destroy the others are those OF the Abrahamic tradition.

What is it about being a child of Abraham that makes all of you so hostile and warlike, anyway?

Regards from Rosie

obviously you came back...you didn't completely die...so you don't know....like walking up to a door but not entering the building.....

I did not come back. I was well on the way out and YANKED back. At least the second time I knew the resuscitation was working as they were doing it in the ER.

I went well beyond the thin dark veil between here and there. Twice.

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

The MAJORITY of people on Earth are not Christian and their societies are not crumbling.

The ones that seem to want to destroy the others are those OF the Abrahamic tradition.

What is it about being a child of Abraham that makes all of you so hostile and warlike, anyway?

Regards from Rosie

really...really...do you not study history....? everyone but the Jews and Christians were wonderful, peaceful wool gatherers.....? You atheists are less impressive every time you post.

humans have been killing each other since Cain killed Abel... Bhudist samurai butchered Shinto samurai...Confucian killers killed Chinese bhudists s and Bhudists have killed taoists....get real....

I know...the whole "Warring States Period," was just a big love fest.....

As I have stated, liberals think history only begins when they wake up in he morning, the last post demonstrates this....

Last edited:

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

Regards from Rosie

What us it about being a child of Abraham that makes all of you so hostile and warlike, anyway?

Regards from Rosie
The Chinese were not atheists until the period of Communism. China wasn't even a concept until modern times, different parts of china were ruled by different dynasties for thousands of years. The ancient chinese people held a variety of beliefs from tribe to tribe from region to region. Most notably, the veneration and worship of ancestors. So to suggest they didn't have a form of organized religion is false.

I never said Christianity was required for a stable society. I said organized religion was responsible for the formation of the first civilizations and legal codes, and without them, civilization as we know it would not exist.

Stop putting words in my mouth, ignoring the points I made, and thus making disingenuous arguments.

Christians are not violent and hostile. In the modern age, most violence comes from atheists and muslims (USSR and islamist terrorists). Abraham in no way inspires hostility or violence in the heart of Christians. What a hateful and false thing to say. You prove my point, it is the atheists with the hate in their hearts for the most part.

Goodnite, guys. See you again soon.

Regards from Rosie
You clearly aren't having a good night, and are a depressed and dark person. Very sad.

I hope you one day find happiness in your life. And escape the black hole of nihilism, hate, and depression.

Looks like a fetus to me.
LOL, I like how it is a baby when the child is wanted, but when the child is aborted it is just a fetus. Talk about a perfect example of relativism right there.
It is not a baby until it is born and breathing.
Maybe according to you, but not to carrying women or to homicide law under which many have been charged with a murder of the mother and the child in the womb.

As the Left says, you are on the WRONG side of this argument.
Which has never been challenged, I don't believe. I believe it's un-Constitutional.
Double homicide laws are unconstitutional. On what grounds?
Simple - on the grounds that those supporting abortion do not want to actually face the FACT they are killing living human beings in the early stages of development. They do not want to face the fact that there is no real difference between that first breath and seconds before when they support killing that individual. It is why they have to continually use terms that seem like there is a difference - abortion, zygote, fetus ect. Never mind that the only difference between a zygote and a baby really is a function of time - just like a baby and a child. They are all independent humans.

The entire thing is an exercise in mentally blocking reality and it is sad. The one thing that I ask from people is, at the very least, understand and acknowledge what you actually stand for.

atheists-torture.png

Funny cuz there was no torture
False

Nope

hmmm...has Steven hawking died and come back from whatever is on the other side? didn't think so......he doesn't know either...he is a human, and therefore limited....

His mind is one of the most unlimited ones on the planet.

*I* have had 2 NDEs and been brought back.

Lemme tell ya, there ain't no Jesus waiting.

If there were, I would have better reason than most to be Christian.

Been there, ain't that.

Sorry.

Regards from Rosie

You do realize how stupid that argument is when dealing with an entity that, by it's very nature would know you were coming back, right?

There are communities that have different definitions of torture and where torture is permitted, and not thought immoral.
So is torture thought immoral in the US?

Thus, to say torture is objectively immoral is categorically false from a purely secular perspective.
Pure puffery. Morality has already been defined as community norms.

You contend it is immoral, another person disagrees on you with what torture is, and some would contend the torture you think is immoral isn't immoral. Thus you one preference of many.
I contend torture is not a community norm in the US, therefore immoral in the US. Do you contend torture is a community norm in the US, therefore moral in the US?
I contend that absent an objective deity, there exists no objective morality. And you prove my point, by admitting to my prior point, that definitions of torture vary from society to society, and what may be considered immoral among some in the US might not be elsewhere.

Furthermore, I probably have a different definition of torture than you.
Your issue is glazing over the term 'objective morality.' The fact is that you are correct in the core of your statement: objective morality DOES NOT EXIST. The problem is that you are taking that much further than that single statement. The following DOES NOT follow from that statement:
That isn't an argument. And you conceding that norms vary from community to community proves my point. Absent a universal and eternal arbiter of justice, there is no right or wrong, no good or evil, and all is permitted.
There is good and bad, right and wrong and it is defined by society. Those that have a rather shitty form of morality die off and those that don't tend to not only live on but also affect the morality and ethics of societies that follow. That is why our morality has, overall, improved over the centuries.

Objective morality would essentially call 99.9 percent of everyone that has ever lived evil bastards. The ONLY people that could be defined as somewhat moralistic would be those that lived in the last century or so. Are you really that arrogant to believe all people before us were truly evil? After all, even in this nation, slavery was permissible. Torture has been a societal norm - not immoral at all - for almost the entirety of human history. It was sanctioned by the very source of your 'objective morality' several times through burning people at the stake and on massive scales like the French Inquisition. The atrocities that man has inflicted upon one another throughout history have been legion. I do not think that is because the majority of people were evil or immoral - it was because society had not evolved to the point it has today.

And here is the kicker - unless you think that the people today are somehow special and different than ALL the societies that have already fallen - WE will be viewed as a rather immoral and backward society in the future. We will be viewed as doing truly evil to one another.

Not only can you have morals (Ethics)without religion, but any religious source for morality is demonstrably amoral at best, and frequently completely immoral.

Most religion-based moral codes have completely inconsistent definitions of "good" and "bad", which in practice amount to little more than lists of things which are considered "good" or "bad", with little respect for whether any of these things can actually be demonstrated to be "good" or "bad". In religious context, something is "good" if the religion says it's good (even if it's demonstrably bad by any other standard, like demonizing or killing those with different beliefs or ritually mutilating infants), and something is "bad" if the religion says it's bad (again, even if it's demonstrably good by other standards, like questioning authority or equality between the sexes). This is not morality. It's just a dictated set of entirely arbitrary rules intended to control a population and glorify religion. That religions frequently claim that this *is* morality is nothing other than a deliberate corruption of the very concept, and worse, that many religions claim to be the only acceptable source of morality while preaching a deliberate perversion of natural morality is itself *deeply* immoral. But just in case that wasn't bad enough, many religions then exempt their followers from taking responsibility for their own actions, blaming some "evil spirit" or another (Satan) for anything "bad" they might do within the religious culture, giving them ample justifications for committing all manner of demonstrably bad acts outwith the culture without risk of censure, and finally saying that all "sins" will be forgiven if they devoutly follow the religion.

Religion distorts and cheapens morality for its own ends

In your own, non-religious words, please define the word "moral." From what pool of knowledge do you draw your conclusions and in what way is your sense of morality superior to Christ's sense of morality?

Goodnite, guys. See you again soon.

Regards from Rosie
You clearly aren't having a good night, and are a depressed and dark person. Very sad.

I hope you one day find happiness in your life. And escape the black hole of nihilism, hate, and depression.
Such an inference is just as unfounded as the affirmative claim there is no god made by Rosie. Both are rather silly. God cannot, by its very nature, be 'proven' to not exist. The decision to have faith and is highly personal. It deals with internal 'evidence' that varies by each and every person. Just because you find no solace (and appear to need that solace) in atheism does not mean the next person is similar to you or your needs. Some of us are just fine with a godless universe and are at peace with that reality while others are not and know there is something more than this life so they have faith.

Why does she have to be dark and depressed? The answer is, of course, that you have no idea if she is depressed or very happy as a person and with her existence.

...Religion distorts and cheapens morality for its own ends
Without religion there would be no long-standing and widely-held standards of ethical behavior, communicated from one generation to the next.

Religion is not single-handedly responsible for the evolution of Morality but it played the dominating role in formalizing and propagating Morality as we understand it today.

Religion has been with us since the days of the tribal campfire or cave fire and was the mechanism by which Man perfected and enforced Morality within his community.

Religion was the mechanism by which Man sought to govern himself and his fellows while away from the campfire (or temple) as well as in close proximity to it.

They go hand in hand.

There are, to be certain, examples of Morals or Ethics that evolved as mere collections of codified behavior sans spirituality but these are often incomplete and uninspiring.

Religion puts the spice in Morals and Ethics and makes them attractive and palatable to the average cave dweller.

Religion is deeply ingrained into the fabric of the Morals and Ethics subscribed to by most nations and societies, even when those nations and societies lose sight of their heritage and what they owe to the intellectual and spiritual labors of those who lived and died before them.

Forum List

Back