Average EV Car Prices Remain on Par with New Luxury Cars

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
And when you can’t buy a replacement battery for your EV in 8 years because of planned obsolescence, the gas luxury cars will still be driving around.

9FA4428B-511D-483A-AB2E-5E4F43379E2C.jpeg
Why electric cars are getting pricier even as batteries get cheaper

Last edited:
And when you can’t buy a replacement battery for your EV in 8 years because of planned obsolescence, the gas luxury cars will still be driving around.

View attachment 640545 Why electric cars are getting pricier even as batteries get cheaper

I only paid $37K for my Chevy Bolt. Hardly a luxury cost. And I got no price breaks on it. Got a modest tax incentive the following year.

All this complaint about EV's is so bizarre. It's like no one on here knows how expensive computers used to be! You folks are a hoot. A computer that was about 1/100th of what you have in your hand right now was several thousand dollars.

AND LOOK AT WHERE WE ARE TODAY!

I only paid $37K for my Chevy Bolt. Hardly a luxury cost. And I got no price breaks on it. Got a modest tax incentive the following year.

All this complaint about EV's is so bizarre. It's like no one on here knows how expensive computers used to be! You folks are a hoot. A computer that was about 1/100th of what you have in your hand right now was several thousand dollars.

Hilarious you admit to driving such a crappy sparky car.

Chevy Bolt batteries were catching fire, and now there’s a class action lawsuit​

GM announced a recall of over 68,000 vehicles in November
https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/2/22135764/chevy-bolt-batteries-catching-fire-class-action-lawsuit#:~:text=The%20automaker%20says%20the%20Bolt’s%20battery%20capacity%20is,2017-2019%20Chevrolet%20Bolt%20EVs%2C”%20a%20GM%20spokesperson%20said.

Hilarious you admit to driving such a crappy sparky car.

Actually it's not crappy. It's pretty solid. SOmething I didn't expect from an American car.

Chevy Bolt batteries were catching fire, and now there’s a class action lawsuit​

GM announced a recall of over 68,000 vehicles in November
https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/2/22135764/chevy-bolt-batteries-catching-fire-class-action-lawsuit#:~:text=The%20automaker%20says%20the%20Bolt’s%20battery%20capacity%20is,2017-2019%20Chevrolet%20Bolt%20EVs%2C”%20a%20GM%20spokesperson%20said.

Yes, I know that. (I've had mine replaced now) They had a problem with a batch of LG batteries. Remember the Ford Pinto in the 1970's that was capable of blowing up when rear-ended? YEah, gasoline powered car.

I'm not making excuses for the LG battery debacle. That's a problem. A fair hit. But technology has to start somewhere.

The advantages so far have been that I have driven for free for about 2 years now. I charge on my solar at home and I have 300 miles per full charge. The regular maintenance cost is much less than ICE vehicles.

Like I said: old computers were horrible and expensive. That's how technology starts.

Part of the reason for brown outs in CA. Enjoy, good for you. Try charging it during a blackout or getting batteries when they are unavailable because of the shortage of RE minerals or the model becomes obsolete. Ever have a flashlight with a dead battery? Never seems to be a battery available when that happens.

But technology has to start somewhere.
True, but the government shouldn't be forcing crappy technology on the public. If the technology is attractive, people will buy it without government intervention--EV acceptance has been increasing since their inception some forty years ago--the government should stay out of the marketplace.

Actually it's not crappy. It's pretty solid. SOmething I didn't expect from an American car.

Yes, I know that. (I've had mine replaced now) They had a problem with a batch of LG batteries. Remember the Ford Pinto in the 1970's that was capable of blowing up when rear-ended? YEah, gasoline powered car.

I'm not making excuses for the LG battery debacle. That's a problem. A fair hit. But technology has to start somewhere.

The advantages so far have been that I have driven for free for about 2 years now. I charge on my solar at home and I have 300 miles per full charge. The regular maintenance cost is much less than ICE vehicles.

Like I said: old computers were horrible and expensive. That's how technology starts.
Every car manufacturer will be obsoleting batteries of everything going out of warranty. They want new car sales.
Fossil fuel cars you just go to a scrap yard.

True, but the government shouldn't be forcing crappy technology on the public.

They aren't. If the Government sets CAFE standards correctly it will incentivize the market.

If the technology is attractive, people will buy it without government intervention--EV acceptance has been increasing since their inception some forty years ago--the government should stay out of the marketplace.

The government has always been in the marketplace since many generations prior to your birth or my birth. I wouldn't sweat that canard. The US market is NOT a laissez-faire free market for the very reason that no one actually WANTS it to be. It was in the Gilded Age in the 1890's and that was a horrific disaster. We are going headlong at it again because Americans don't learn history, but we actually all ENJOY government in our markets.

And if you are an American you've never known otherwise.

I didn't buy one of those computers. I waited until they became for affordable and reliable. I paid $30,000 for my SUV 3 years ago. It is 5 times the size of your Bolt, increasing the chances of my survival in an accident. I can also carry 7 passengers, which your Bolt I am sure struggles with 4. I can drive to visit my kids and not have to stop and recharge batteries.

Tell me now what is the advantage of your Bolt?

Every car manufacturer will be obsoleting batteries of everything going out of warranty.

Why is that?

They want new car sales.

Why don't they do that with internal combustion engine parts? That would be EXCEEDINGLY easy to do. Change a few connectors et voila new car sale.

Fossil fuel cars you just go to a scrap yard.

That only works for a bit. Change a few connectors in there...

Try going through a drawer of outdated Macintosh power cables and connectors for iPhones and tell me how that works out.

I didn't buy one of those computers. I waited until they became for affordable and reliable.

Good for you. Some of us had jobs that required those computers so someone was buying them.

I paid $30,000 for my SUV 3 years ago. It is 5 times the size of your Bolt,

ANd you have to pay a whole fuck lot more for gas to drive around than I do for my electricity! LOL.

increasing the chances of my survival in an accident.

Even if I didn't buy an EV I wouldn't buy the gashog stupid vehicle you did. You don't take care of your money very well.

I can also carry 7 passengers, which your Bolt I am sure struggles with 4.

I am not an Uber driver or Hotel Courtesy shuttle so, unlike you, I don't need that.

I can drive to visit my kids and not have to stop and recharge batteries.

If your kids lived within 300 miles you could do it in my car. You WILL need to gas up a LOT for your travels though.

Tell me now what is the advantage of your Bolt?

I am driving for free for nearly 3 years now with almost no maintenance costs!

I haven't paid attention to gas prices for years now! LOLOL!

Enjoy paying more for gasoline, sucker!

Why is that?

Why don't they do that with internal combustion engine parts? That would be EXCEEDINGLY easy to do. Change a few connectors et voila new car sale.

Try going through a drawer of outdated Macintosh power cables and connectors for iPhones and tell me how that works out.
Why shouldn’t everyone follow GM’s lead and obsolete batteries? $$$$$$

Why is that?

You can’t drive more than 125 miles away for a round trip. Short leash. Very short.

They aren't.
They certainly are, CA--no small ICE sales after 2024, No ICE automobile sales after 2030. Similar laws in WA. That is government interjecting in the marketplace. If EVs are so good, they shouldn't have to cut existing technology to promote it. We had 8 track recorders in the 60s, they gave way to cassette, cd, and now digital jump drives--the government didn't have to push those, people clamored for the new technology because it was better. This current push of inferior, beta technology reminds me of how our government pushed the jab, even paying people to get it. Keep the government out of the marketplace.
we actually all ENJOY government in our markets.
Speak for yourself. I don't want the government involved in my life at all beyond public safety and defense.

Forum List

Back