🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Banned for Reading Bible BEFORE Class

An email from the professor to Holden

However, I did obtain an email Martel sent to Holden warning him about “disruptive behavior.”

“For the remainder of the class, I will ask you to move to one of the desks along the wall by the door,” she wrote. “The roll sheet will be passed to you. You will make sure that students who come in late sign in. I will also require that you respect me and the other students in the class by acting in a civil manner.”

In a separate email addressed to the entire class, Martel vowed to “re-instate civility” in the classroom.

It appears Holden is a disruptive hothead who continually disrupts the class and is abusive towards other students. His "They won't let me read a Bible before class" is a ruse in retaliation of his being told where to sit and how to behave
Or maybe 'it appears' this is an example of professorial bullying of students who express opinions not shared by the progressive lecturer?

That is what the student was claiming before he concocted his peaceful bible reading story

He claims he is being discriminated against for his rightwing views. The Professor claims he goes into anti-muslim hate speech and is disruptive in class and disrespectful to other students

I would like to hear what the other students in the class have to say about Mr Holden
Seems that hate speech now extends to reporting that two Muslims in the US had said that the Quran endorses poor treatment of women or something similar.
Only to leftards does reporting what someone else said constitute hate speech.

Once again we are only hearing Mr Holden's view of what transpired as reported to the rightwing media

However, I did obtain an email Martel sent to Holden warning him about “disruptive behavior.”

“For the remainder of the class, I will ask you to move to one of the desks along the wall by the door,” she wrote. “The roll sheet will be passed to you. You will make sure that students who come in late sign in. I will also require that you respect me and the other students in the class by acting in a civil manner.”

In a separate email addressed to the entire class, Martel vowed to “re-instate civility” in the classroom.

It appears Holden is a disruptive hothead who continually disrupts the class and is abusive towards other students. His "They won't let me read a Bible before class" is a ruse in retaliation of his being told where to sit and how to behave
Or maybe 'it appears' this is an example of professorial bullying of students who express opinions not shared by the progressive lecturer?
Agreed. Once the full story behind the email is read, it appears Martel doesn't like being questioned:

Northern Arizona U. prof. Heather Martel orders student to stop reading Bible *before* class
Anthony Gockowski reports for Campus Reform, April 27, 2017, that prior to the Bible incident in February, Martel had accused Holden of violating the university’s policy on disruptive classroom behavior when Holden challenged Martel’s views on cultural assimilation.

Holden told Campus Reform that he had questioned the matter of cultural assimilation by citing news reports about two Muslim immigrants who erected a sign declaring that the Koran gives them the right to commit rape.

In an email that Martel sent to Holden accusing him of disruptive classroom behavior, she claims Holden had interrupted the class multiple times and “made a scene,” only stopping after a classmate intervened. Martel wrote:

“Then you raised your hand for most of the rest of class. When I acknowledged that I saw your hand but stated we would be hearing from your classmates instead, as you had already had your input, you said in a loud voice: ‘You work for me. I pay your salary.’”

Martel then sent out a second email about the altercation, not just to Holden but to the entire class, outlining “steps to re-instate civility in the classroom” and declaring emphatically that “hate speech” would not be tolerated.

Holden told Campus Reform that he eventually withdrew from Martel’s class. Holden sees the Bible incident as Martel’s and Northern Arizona University’s restriction of his free speech, calling it “a systemic problem, not just at this university, but across the United States” because most college professors are “pushing an ideology on students and any opposition to this is refuted and slashed.” While there may be students “who want to speak up,” they don’t “feel that they can because of fear about their grades.” And it’s not just students. Conservative-leaning professors face similar concerns in relation to keeping their jobs.

The whole "Bible Reading" thing looks lie a setup to create a media backlash

Lets hear what other students have to say about Mr Holden.

Is he a quiet, sincere bible reading student or is he a fucking asshole?
Maybe, but If it were a set up, I'd have thought that the recorder would already be running in anticipation of the lecturers response to him reading the Bible.
Agreed. OTOH, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn that Holden was reading his Bible prior to class simply to annoy Martel. So what? Martel overreacted and now she's paying the price for it through bad publicity. Holden's actions prior to class did not force Martel to do anything. She should be adult enough to own up to her own actions. All the LWLs on the planet cannot change the fact Martel is responsible for her own actions.
Agreed. And if I knew an adult in her position who'd let it be known that just the sight of someone reading the bible made her 'uncomfortable' I'd be tempted to read it before class also. After all, uni supposed to be a learning environment, and I'd be keen to see what triggers her so :eusa_think:
Maybe whip out a Quran too.

That is what the student was claiming before he concocted his peaceful bible reading story

He claims he is being discriminated against for his rightwing views. The Professor claims he goes into anti-muslim hate speech and is disruptive in class and disrespectful to other students

I would like to hear what the other students in the class have to say about Mr Holden
Seems that hate speech now extends to reporting that two Muslims in the US had said that the Quran endorses poor treatment of women or something similar.

Once again we are only hearing Mr Holden's view of what transpired as reported to the rightwing media
Not quite. You supplied us with 'sections' of Martels emails, which could equally indicate she has a grudge against him.

Last edited:
We need the whole story.

The student has every right to read his Bible silently.

He may read it aloud if it is disruptive to other class members.
Agreed on the whole story. IMHO, both were acting like dicks. However, that's expected of a 22 year old college student but not of a History Professor seeking to educate younger minds.

not quite. You supplied us with sections of Martels emails.
Correct. He also hid the background on those emails.

Mr Holden's side of the story just doesn't seem to pass the "Does that make sense" test

The rightwing is outraged that a liberal professor would punish a student for reading the bible six minutes before class. Why would a professor do that? Makes no sense. I could see starting class and asking someone to put their bible away....but six minutes before with him silently reading ?

What does make sense is the student had been disruptive in class and disrespectful towards other students. He had been instructed to use a desk at the rear of the classroom near the door and was now intentionally sitting front and center with his bible. He was told to move because of his previous classroom behavior and not because he was reading a bible

It’s apparently OK to read history books at Northern Arizona University, but not the Good Book.

Mark Holden, a 22-year-old history major, tells me he was ordered to leave a lecture hall after his professor objected to him reading the Bible before the start of the class.

“All the students agreed with her that assimilation is oppressive and evil.”

Holden alleges that professor Heather Martel ordered him to put away the Good Book around six minutes before a scheduled history class. It’s unclear why she objected to the reading of God’s word.

According to her biography, Professor Martel is a noted scholar who is working on an essay titled, “The Gender Amazon: Indigenous Female Masculinity in Early Modern European Representations of Contact.” She also teaches classes on Global Queer History and Feminist Theory.

When Holden declined to stop reading his Bible, the professor summoned Derek Heng, the chairman of the department. Heng then proceeded to explain the situation.

Holden recorded the conversation and turned it over to congressional candidate Kevin Cavanaugh. In turn, Cavanaugh provided me with a copy of the audio.

"So Professor Martel says that she doesn't want you sitting in front of her because you put, you know, a Bible out, right?" Heng said.

"So she doesn't want me in the front because I have my Bible out," Holden replied.

"No, I think she — I mean, well, why do you have your Bible out anyway," Heng asked.

After a bit more back and forth regarding the dynamics in the classroom, the chairman of the department got to the heart of the issue. "So, will you, will you, will you, put your Bible away?" Heng asked.

The incident occurred back in February, but just recently became public after Campus Reform reported on the controversy.

Holden had previously drawn the ire of his professor during a classroom discussion on assimilation.

"All the students agreed with her that assimilation is oppressive and evil," Holden said. "I suggested there are both positive and negative aspects to assimilation."

As an example, he referenced a report about two Muslim men in California who reportedly said the Koran justified doing terrible things to women.

"She told me I was a racist and she would not tolerate that kind of racism in the class," Holden said. "I told her Islam was not a race and I was only talking about what the two Muslim men as individuals said — I was not making broad claims about Islam or my interpretation of the Koran."

After a bit of back and forth, Holden said the professor told the class, "Welcome to Trump's new America — where straight white males can say prejudicial things without being reprimanded for it."
Nothing like feeling persecuted.

Is this a claim that the bullying and 'persecution' doesn't go on?

Or your version of 'snitches get stitches and wind up in ditches'?

Speak up, dolt.

Mr Holden's side of the story just doesn't seem to pass the "Does that make sense" test

The rightwing is outraged that a liberal professor would punish a student for reading the bible six minutes before class. Why would a professor do that? Makes no sense. I could see starting class and asking someone to put their bible away....but six minutes before with him silently reading ?

What does make sense is the student had been disruptive in class and disrespectful towards other students. He had been instructed to use a desk at the rear of the classroom near the door and was now intentionally sitting front and center with his bible. He was told to move because of his previous classroom behavior and not because he was reading a bible
It could just as easily be that Martel dislikes the student because he challenges her, is straight, white, male, Conservative and (shudder) Christian :eusa_think:
Have you been to Uni?

"Why would a professor do that?"

Because he is of the Liberal persuasion, of course.

You know that....Shirley.

It’s apparently OK to read history books at Northern Arizona University, but not the Good Book.

Mark Holden, a 22-year-old history major, tells me he was ordered to leave a lecture hall after his professor objected to him reading the Bible before the start of the class.

Holden alleges that professor Heather Martel ordered him to put away the Good Book around six minutes before a scheduled history class. It’s unclear why she objected to the reading of God’s word.

According to her biography, Professor Martel is a noted scholar who is working on an essay titled, “The Gender Amazon: Indigenous Female Masculinity in Early Modern European Representations of Contact.” She also teaches classes on Global Queer History and Feminist Theory.

When Holden declined to stop reading his Bible, the professor summoned Derek Heng, the chairman of the department. Heng then proceeded to explain the situation.

Holden recorded the conversation and turned it over to congressional candidate Kevin Cavanaugh. In turn, Cavanaugh provided me with a copy of the audio.

"So Professor Martel says that she doesn't want you sitting in front of her because you put, you know, a Bible out, right?" Heng said.

"So she doesn't want me in the front because I have my Bible out," Holden replied.

"No, I think she — I mean, well, why do you have your Bible out anyway," Heng asked.

After a bit more back and forth regarding the dynamics in the classroom, the chairman of the department got to the heart of the issue. "So, will you, will you, will you, put your Bible away?" Heng asked.

The incident occurred back in February, but just recently became public after Campus Reform reported on the controversy.

Holden had previously drawn the ire of his professor during a classroom discussion on assimilation.

"All the students agreed with her that assimilation is oppressive and evil," Holden said. "I suggested there are both positive and negative aspects to assimilation."

As an example, he referenced a report about two Muslim men in California who reportedly said the Koran justified doing terrible things to women.

"She told me I was a racist and she would not tolerate that kind of racism in the class," Holden said. "I told her Islam was not a race and I was only talking about what the two Muslim men as individuals said — I was not making broad claims about Islam or my interpretation of the Koran."

After a bit of back and forth, Holden said the professor told the class, "Welcome to Trump's new America — where straight white males can say prejudicial things without being reprimanded for it."

Speak up, dolt.
Did I trigger you? Sorry.

And the teacher asked him to put it away. He isn't a kid that should need to be told that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

he closed the book and left it on his desk so the fuck what?
if he left a text from another class closed on his desk during class no one would have cared
According to who ?
It sounds like he was a trouble maker looking to be oppressed. Old enough to know better.

^^^teachers pet^^^^

Speak up, dolt.

There is much you should be sorry for.

And the teacher asked him to put it away. He isn't a kid that should need to be told that.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

he closed the book and left it on his desk so the fuck what?
if he left a text from another class closed on his desk during class no one would have cared
According to who ?
It sounds like he was a trouble maker looking to be oppressed. Old enough to know better.

^^^teachers pet^^^^

...hall monitor.

We need the whole story.

He cannot disrupt the class overtly, but silent reading should not be even considered by the prof.

The whole "Bible Reading" thing looks like a setup to create a media backlash

Lets hear what other students have to say about Mr Holden.

Is he a quiet, sincere bible reading student or is he a fucking asshole?
Excellent conspiracy theory. You win an aluminum foil beanie!

33xeofs.jpg

Regardless whether it was a "setup" or not, Professor Martel is responsible for her own actions.

And we know how those christers like to feel persecuted. It makes them all tingly.

You think all uni lecturers are full of integrity and always behave correctly?
You do know they are human, right?

Speak up, dolt.

There is much you should be sorry for.
Well, not as much as I would be if I wasted my time reading your posting novels.

And we know how those christers like to feel persecuted. It makes them all tingly.
It appears you get all tingly doing it. Win-win!

Forum List

Back