Bearing False Witness

Clement

A REAL free thinker
Mar 8, 2014
I have been reading a new book just out regarding the falsity of anti-Catholic propaganda over the years, titled "Bearing False Witness". Much of the information contained in this book is not new to me but what I already knew is covered in greater detail. Rodney Stark is not himself Catholic, but a professor at a Baptist university.

For most of my life I have heard certain claims from cultists such as the Jehovah's Witnesses and anti-religious atheists alike most of the claims Stark covers in his book, such as (from the Amazon review):

• Instead of the Spanish Inquisition being an anomaly of torture and murder of innocent people persecuted for “imaginary” crimes such as witchcraft and blasphemy, Stark argues that not only did the Spanish Inquisition spill very little blood, but it was a major force in support of moderation and justice.
  • Instead of Pope Pius XII being apathetic or even helpful to the Nazi movement, such as to merit the title, “Hitler’s Pope,” Stark shows that the campaign to link Pope Pius XII to Hitler was initiated by the Soviet Union, presumably in hopes of neutralizing the Vatican in post-World War II affairs. Pope Pius XII was widely praised for his vigorous and devoted efforts to saving Jewish lives during the war.
  • Instead of the Dark Ages being understood as a millennium of ignorance and backwardness inspired by the Catholic Church’s power, Stark argues that the whole notion of the “Dark Ages” was an act of pride perpetuated by anti-religious intellectuals who were determined to claim that theirs was the era of “Enlightenment.”
And there are other instances, such as alleged claims of anti-semitism by the Christian Church refuted, alleged Pagan persecution (also not true), alleged "suppression of Gnostic Gospels" (my personal favorite, since 99% of the people who think the Church suppressed Gnosticism also think Gnosticism complements the synoptic Gospels, not true) and the list goes on and on.

I am not a Catholic and I have plenty of problems with the RCC, but I AM interested in truth. I invite all of you to discover the truth as well. https://www.amazon.com/Bearing-Fals...&keywords=bearing+false+witness&tag=ff0d01-20

I have been reading a new book just out regarding the falsity of anti-Catholic propaganda over the years, titled "Bearing False Witness". Much of the information contained in this book is not new to me but what I already knew is covered in greater detail. Rodney Stark is not himself Catholic, but a professor at a Baptist university.

For most of my life I have heard certain claims from cultists such as the Jehovah's Witnesses and anti-religious atheists alike most of the claims Stark covers in his book, such as (from the Amazon review):

• Instead of the Spanish Inquisition being an anomaly of torture and murder of innocent people persecuted for “imaginary” crimes such as witchcraft and blasphemy, Stark argues that not only did the Spanish Inquisition spill very little blood, but it was a major force in support of moderation and justice.
  • Instead of Pope Pius XII being apathetic or even helpful to the Nazi movement, such as to merit the title, “Hitler’s Pope,” Stark shows that the campaign to link Pope Pius XII to Hitler was initiated by the Soviet Union, presumably in hopes of neutralizing the Vatican in post-World War II affairs. Pope Pius XII was widely praised for his vigorous and devoted efforts to saving Jewish lives during the war.
  • Instead of the Dark Ages being understood as a millennium of ignorance and backwardness inspired by the Catholic Church’s power, Stark argues that the whole notion of the “Dark Ages” was an act of pride perpetuated by anti-religious intellectuals who were determined to claim that theirs was the era of “Enlightenment.”
And there are other instances, such as alleged claims of anti-semitism by the Christian Church refuted, alleged Pagan persecution (also not true), alleged "suppression of Gnostic Gospels" (my personal favorite, since 99% of the people who think the Church suppressed Gnosticism also think Gnosticism complements the synoptic Gospels, not true) and the list goes on and on.

I am not a Catholic and I have plenty of problems with the RCC, but I AM interested in truth. I invite all of you to discover the truth as well. https://www.amazon.com/Bearing-Fals...&keywords=bearing+false+witness&tag=ff0d01-20

I know the truth-----the Inquisition was DAMNED BLOODY without a scintilla of "moderation" . It was responsible for the
death of tens of millions thuout Europe and even in the
Americas. The apologists who argue that it was fair and moderate to a GERRYMANDER job------The trick involves
"people brought before the Inquisition" ------the trick----
the only people "brought before the inquisition were catholics accused of not being catholic ENOUGH"------the other victims ------the ones murdered whole sale, were non catholics and homosexuals. The Inquisition was a bonafide COURT----the accused had defense lawyers------for a good example of PERSON BROUGHT BEFORE THE INQUISITION-----read all about GALILEO he won his case because he was a CATHOLIC IN GOOD STANDING----HIS DAUGHTER WAS A NUN. If he said---- he was an atheist or a muslim or a jew---his case would never be heard before the Inquisition--he would simply be tortured to death. It was the concept of the Inquisition that rendered the murder of MONTEZUMA by
ISABELLA's good friend HERNAN CORTEZ----legal ---along with the genocide of the Aztec people-------multiply that
event several times for the rest of the Americas.
As to Pope Pius-----sheltering a few people was way way beneath his actual powers------he could have saved the jews of Hungary, Austria, Poland with a few declarations----he had great power over CATHOLIC LANDS. He desisted because he worried more about the POWER OF THE CHURCH----
barely touched by the catholic in good standing (ie he was never excommunicated) ADOLF HITLER ---and HIS good catholic friends----GOEBBELS and HIMMLER and Josef Mengele etc etc and even in the USA ----FATHER CHARLES COUGHLIN PIUS did not rise to the occasion even to the level an average person might have. ----his lack of ability is something like that of OBAMA-----he just cannot DO IT. Truman would have done a better job

I know the truth-----the Inquisition was DAMNED BLOODY without a scintilla of "moderation" . It was responsible for the
Americas. The apologists who argue that it was fair and moderate to a GERRYMANDER job------The trick involves
the only people "brought before the inquisition were catholics accused of not being catholic ENOUGH"------the other victims ------the ones murdered whole sale, were non catholics and homosexuals. The Inquisition was a bonafide COURT----the accused had defense lawyers------for a good example of PERSON BROUGHT BEFORE THE INQUISITION-----read all about GALILEO he won his case because he was a CATHOLIC IN GOOD STANDING----HIS DAUGHTER WAS A NUN. If he said---- he was an atheist or a muslim or a jew---his case would never be heard before the Inquisition--he would simply be tortured to death. It was the concept of the Inquisition that rendered the murder of MONTEZUMA by
ISABELLA's good friend HERNAN CORTEZ----legal ---along with the genocide of the Aztec people-------multiply that
As to Pope Pius-----sheltering a few people was way way beneath his actual powers------he could have saved the jews of Hungary, Austria, Poland with a few declarations----he had great power over CATHOLIC LANDS. He desisted because he worried more about the POWER OF THE CHURCH----
barely touched by the catholic in good standing (ie he was never excommunicated) ADOLF HITLER ---and HIS good catholic friends----GOEBBELS and HIMMLER and Josef Mengele etc etc and even in the USA ----FATHER CHARLES COUGHLIN PIUS did not rise to the occasion even to the level an average person might have. ----his lack of ability is something like that of OBAMA-----he just cannot DO IT. Truman would have done a better job

So you were there, then?

Sorry, history does not agree with you. The Jews from that time period don't agree with you. That's why you need to READ instead of react. Chaim Weizmann, who would later become the first president of Israel, wrote: "The Holy See is lending it's powerful help wherever it can, to mitigate the fate of my persecuted co-religionists. Moshe Sharet, soon to be Israel's first foreign minister and second Prime Minister, told the Pope that "..my first duty was to thank him, and through him the Catholic Church, on behalf of the Jewish public for all they had done in various countries to rescue Jews". Golda Mier called Pius a "great servant of peace".

And I have read about Galileo, and I noticed you didn't bother to tell the whole story. He didn't get into trouble for his scientific opinions as much as for his arrogant duplicity. And he was neither tortured or imprisoned, but sentenced to house arrest where he died at 78.

Like the rest of your screed here, it is just ignorant and bigoted bomb throwing. Like many others, you apparently believe that if you say it enough times it will become truth.

the only real anti-Catholic rhetoric I've seen if from fundie evangelical Christians.

Americas. The apologists who argue that it was fair and moderate do a GERRYMANDER job------The trick involves

So you were there, then?

Sorry, history does not agree with you. The Jews from that time period don't agree with you. That's why you need to READ instead of react. Chaim Weizmann, who would later become the first president of Israel, wrote: "The Holy See is lending it's powerful help wherever it can, to mitigate the fate of my persecuted co-religionists. Moshe Sharet, soon to be Israel's first foreign minister and second Prime Minister, told the Pope that "..my first duty was to thank him, and through him the Catholic Church, on behalf of the Jewish public for all they had done in various countries to rescue Jews". Golda Mier called Pius a "great servant of peace".

And I have read about Galileo, and I noticed you didn't bother to tell the whole story. He didn't get into trouble for his scientific opinions as much as for his arrogant duplicity. And he was neither tortured or imprisoned, but sentenced to house arrest where he died at 78.

Like the rest of your screed here, it is just ignorant and bigoted bomb throwing. Like many others, you apparently believe that if you say it enough times it will become truth.

YOU LIED as do most of those of your bigoted ilk. At no time did I suggest that Galileo was tortured. I CORRECTLY cited him as a person who GOT OFF----He was brought before the
Inquisition and was not tortured he GOT OFF because he was a CATHOLIC who professed belief in the teachings of the
catholic church and so was ELIGIBLE for a trial. As to the
statements of DESPERATE politicians-----gee thanks.
You could find NOTHING about my statements to successfully dispute so you groped around in the muck to cite something
I DID NOT CITE. I can play that game too. You FAILED TO MENTION THE FACT---that nothing was done by pope Pius to put a stop to the ARDENT and NATION WIDE campaign of FATHER CHARLES COUGHLIN to completely abandon the jews of Europe to CATHOLIC ADOLF HITLER-- NOTHING. That Nazi catholic priest-----was a priest at the pleasure PIUS who could have EASILY ordered him to stop and----DE-PRIESTED him. Was I THERE? where? where the bulk of my extended family died before I was born in CATHOLIC AUSTRIA AND CATHOLIC POLAND?---nope---they were dead before I was born ---the men, the women and the children---mostly in Auschwitz---a catholic city in Poland.
As to the Inquisition----
the survivors of my family by marriage who fled Spain, survived
because they fled----divested of all property and on questionably sound ships. Unlike Galileo ----they were not tried------they fled as their friends and relatives were facing the AUTO DE FE. Lots of them still speak Spanish----having never studied the language and having never lived in a Spanish speaking land. -----no trial---no sin------other than "being jew" Your response was NON RESPONSIVE---just
silly lies and trivializing. You did support my point----the INQUISITION was moderate for catholics-----for non-catholics it was damned brutal and bloody and DISGUSTING-----Pius XII was inadequate BUT much better than most of other popes------like the bastard Pius X. For that fact----leaders of
the jewish communities still searching for survivors PLAYED NICE. Nothing new----jewish leaders have been playing nice with the NOT THE MOST HOSTILE-----for millennia

Last edited:
You may be interested in these other titles:

Four Witnesses

The Apostasy That Wasn't

And I don't agree with you, I am non RC and again, I am more interested in the truth than propaganda. The reality is, every mainstream Christian denomination owes it's existence to the RCC, and I don't mean the non-Christian cults from the 1800's and early 1900's.

what does the fact that the RCC was the first Christian church mean to you? OWES ITS EXISTENCE?------you mean other wise all Baptists would be dead if NOT FOR THE CATHOLIC CHURCH-----they might have been happier as hindus

Four Witnesses

The Apostasy That Wasn't

And I don't agree with you, I am non RC and again, I am more interested in the truth than propaganda. The reality is, every mainstream Christian denomination owes it's existence to the RCC, and I don't mean the non-Christian cults from the 1800's and early 1900's.

what does the fact that the RCC was the first Christian church mean to you? OWES ITS EXISTENCE?------you mean other wise all Baptists would be dead if NOT FOR THE CATHOLIC CHURCH-----they might have been happier as hindus

You can get medication for those rage issues of yours. Just sayin'.

Four Witnesses

The Apostasy That Wasn't

You can get medication for those rage issues of yours.

really?----what medication do you suggest?.

I suppose the book would have been longer, but the author ran out of paper.
TYPICAL SCARAB post.
roll_2586757b-300x187.jpg

Is this where all of the bomb throwers post their non-sequitur rants as if they meant something?

Spanish Inquisition wasn't that bad if you had calluses on your feet, no gnads, elastic skin, and high pain tolerances. Right?

For Heretics to go through readmisson into the Catholic church Raymond VII of Toulouse's and others were forced bare footed, a nose tied around the neck, and shirtless. (I am told this was how heretics were dressed before burnings).
They were paraded around the church a certain number of times and scourged by a church official.
Pope Innocent III 1161-1216 "Use against heretics the spiritual sword of excommunication, and if this does not prove effective, use the material sword."
The Art of Medieval Torture (this material sword) Torture was enthusiastically applied by early Church officials and noblemen in their employ for four reasons:
To force confessions or secret information from those accused of heresy or witchcraft, whether guilty or innocent; To punish or discourage dissent and intellectual freedom; To persuade Jews(who by the way they claim follow the same God), Muslims, and other non-believers to accept Christianity; and To enjoy the sadistic pleasure of inflicting agony, including experimenting with newly devised or perfected techniques of torture. Devices used by the Church: the foot was fitted into an oversized COPPER BOOT, boiling oil was slowly poured into the boot to strip the flesh from the bones.

Another device of the Church: was the infamous viselike FOOT PRESS which was slowly tightened by the crank to crush feet between its solid iron plates, which were lined with hundreds of razor-sharp spikes to make the torture even more intense. More sadistic torture could be found in the way they would devise FOOT ROASTING, which was the favorite torture of the Spanish Inquisition. Immobilized in the stocks, the soles of the victim's bare feet were thickly basted with lard and slowly broiled over red-hot coals.

Everyone has seen "the RACK" in movies: The rollers of this RACK pulled the victim's wrists and ankles in opposite directions to tear his body apart. A spiked drum might be installed to disembowel the face-downward victim. There was also a bench held which victim immobile while he was slowly SKINNED ALIVE with a scalpel-like instrument. Salt was rubbed into the raw flesh to make for a more horrifying experience.
They also had these toothed iron TESTICLE CRUSHERS slowly squeezed the victim's testicles until they were destroyed. *(note- today singers use these to hit their high notes)*

Surely we see there is a pattern here,
if it walks like satan, talks like satan, acts like satan & admits it is satan, off shoot sects admit the founders were satanist, then it is Satanic.

Spanish Inquisition wasn't that bad if you had calluses on your feet, no gnads, elastic skin, and high pain tolerances. Right?

For Heretics to go through readmisson into the Catholic church Raymond VII of Toulouse's and others were forced bare footed, a nose tied around the neck, and shirtless. (I am told this was how heretics were dressed before burnings).
They were paraded around the church a certain number of times and scourged by a church official.
Pope Innocent III 1161-1216 "Use against heretics the spiritual sword of excommunication, and if this does not prove effective, use the material sword."
The Art of Medieval Torture (this material sword) Torture was enthusiastically applied by early Church officials and noblemen in their employ for four reasons:
To force confessions or secret information from those accused of heresy or witchcraft, whether guilty or innocent; To punish or discourage dissent and intellectual freedom; To persuade Jews(who by the way they claim follow the same God), Muslims, and other non-believers to accept Christianity; and To enjoy the sadistic pleasure of inflicting agony, including experimenting with newly devised or perfected techniques of torture. Devices used by the Church: the foot was fitted into an oversized COPPER BOOT, boiling oil was slowly poured into the boot to strip the flesh from the bones.

Another device of the Church: was the infamous viselike FOOT PRESS which was slowly tightened by the crank to crush feet between its solid iron plates, which were lined with hundreds of razor-sharp spikes to make the torture even more intense. More sadistic torture could be found in the way they would devise FOOT ROASTING, which was the favorite torture of the Spanish Inquisition. Immobilized in the stocks, the soles of the victim's bare feet were thickly basted with lard and slowly broiled over red-hot coals.

Everyone has seen "the RACK" in movies: The rollers of this RACK pulled the victim's wrists and ankles in opposite directions to tear his body apart. A spiked drum might be installed to disembowel the face-downward victim. There was also a bench held which victim immobile while he was slowly SKINNED ALIVE with a scalpel-like instrument. Salt was rubbed into the raw flesh to make for a more horrifying experience.
They also had these toothed iron TESTICLE CRUSHERS slowly squeezed the victim's testicles until they were destroyed. *(note- today singers use these to hit their high notes)*

Surely we see there is a pattern here,
if it walks like satan, talks like satan, acts like satan & admits it is satan, off shoot sects admit the founders were satanist, then it is Satanic.

Do you have a source for this other than a movie? I didn't think so.

You are ignoring the history and promoting the propaganda. Proof, please.

Forum List

Back