Bee Gees

The Granville Brothers didn't know shit about engineering aircraft, but by dumb luck, they designed and built a line of airplanes that were legendary for their speed, but also for how dangerous they were. They won a lot of racing trophies, and also killed a lot of would-be pilots.

So legendary were the Granville Brothers' aircraft that thirty years later, an obscure pop music group would name itself, backwardly, after them.

1690567417107.png

1690567639629.png

I adored their earlier music, but during the disco daze, I wished they would vaporize.
I couldn't dance worth a crap so I didn't listen to much of that during the disco daze. I still can't dance worth a crap but I kinda like the Bee Gees disco stuff now. Spotify and a good pair of Bluetooth headphones helps.

I couldn't dance worth a crap so I didn't listen to much of that during the disco daze. I still can't dance worth a crap but I kinda like the Bee Gees disco stuff now. Spotify and a good pair of Bluetooth headphones helps.

That whole 70's Disco phase was fueled by cocaine anyway. If you didn't learn to dance back then, that just means your nasal cavity hasn't been destroyed.

That whole 70's Disco phase was fueled by cocaine anyway. If you didn't learn to dance back then, that just means your nasal cavity hasn't been destroyed.

Not all of us boomers were drug users. When I was 15 I saw a Georgia Tech student scream himself to death in the ER. A couple doctors were actually crying, pulled me up to his death bed and shouted at me," do you want to do drugs'.
Never heard such horror coming from a human, and never forgot, never did drugs, I did drink but no drugs. I always said that poor young athletes' horrible death may have saved my life since the drug craze was high in the 60s 70s.
You are correct though, many people did do drugs, but then I was also having babies, but it was the young mans terrible death who may have saved me.

The Bee Gees and Dionne Warwick....doesn't get better....

Dionne Warwick & Bee Gees - Heartbreaker.​

I did to a degree, at first. And yeah, I did a lot of dancing to it too.
But then it became an all encompassing monster that tried to suck the soul out of every human being on earth.
I agree the BeeGee’s were great, and their Disco music was wonderful to dance to — slower than most Disco and with heart. It was a “comeback” period for them, too. They can’t be blamed for all the gross commercialization of disco that followed — and yet they were!

I think it was in Detroit that some obnoxious populist entrepreneurs made a reactionary thing about it, even having mobs come out to burn their records before a Baseball Game. It was a sick phenomenon that the BeeGees just couldn’t understand. Some Disco admittedly got too mechanical, bad stupid commercialized crap with drum machines and no heart. The BeeGees showed what could be done with studio music … but they always had plenty of heart.

I saw Disco develop up close in NYC and danced Hustle later, when I was around 40. I even taught it. I can still do it real well at 74! Sadly, I gotta cheat and do it as a slow steady 4-beat 4-step dance these days … if I want to last more than one song, and don’t want me and my partner both to fall down! : (

Here was “Disco Demolition Night”:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back