Zone1 Belief in God drops to 81 percent

I never indicated I was riled and bothered by the fact that you cannot understand the God. I do find it ironic that anyone could claim to interpret the wants, needs and intentions of the God based upon a book written by unknown authors.
A Rabbi once summed up scripture with the following: Love God, love your neighbor. The rest is commentary.

You seem bothered that others point out the recent Catholic doctrine of a sinless Mary that is not a part of the Bible. Obviously, religions and their doctrines change over time so there shouldn't be any perceived attack on the dogma when questioning that dogma.
Did you skip the final paragraph of #1790? :)

Tradition. Christianity began three hundred years before the New Testament became Canon. Christianity had been ongoing for over twenty years before the first book in this Canon was written (1 Corinthians).

400 years - year 396.

only after the original adherents for the 1st century events of liberation theology, self determination were persecuted to near irrelevance did the persecutes write their version, c bible of servitude to a messiah - the exemplar never claimed and denied before their crucifixion.

About 16 or so. That was the norm for the time for a girl to get married. Joseph was about 18.

is being married heavenly or earthly ... those two never married and lived happily together everafter - and were not monotheist to boot.

A Rabbi once summed up scripture with the following: Love God, love your neighbor. The rest is commentary.
Why all the fuss then with original sin (with a tree of life, a tree of knowledge, a talking serpent, and a God walking in the garden while man and woman hide, floods, sacrificial farm animals, etc., etc.?

Strange because that commentary is central to the religious ideology.

so now the KKK was in the jan 6 crowd?? what next libtard?

no, they were christians, they could not stand their autocrat lost the election and went stark crazy and are still craving the degenerate emotions without their daily fix. redfish

Did you skip the final paragraph of #1790? :)
Nope. All the various sects / subdivisions of Christianity know with certainty they have that one-inch difference of better understanding than the competing sect / subdivision.

Are you willing to admit, ''yeah, we Catholics are kinda right but ya' know, those Episcopalians are really, really right''?

Why all the fuss then with original sin (with a tree of life, a tree of knowledge, a talking serpent, and a God walking in the garden while man and woman hide, floods, sacrificial farm animals, etc., etc.?
I see no fuss, any more than I see a fuss over Aesop's The Farmer and the Snake. There are talking points in each. In Aesop's tale, the farmer takes pity on a frozen snake and warms him underneath his coat. The snake revives and bites the farmer who then dies. The moral, Do not take pity on a scoundrel. I agree that is sound advice, but is it always fair to compare a scoundrel to a poisonous snake. The scoundrel is also a human being.

One of my favorite talking points about God walking in the garden is the location of Eden. Was Eden on earth, or is Eden of the spiritual realm?

What, in either story, over which anyone should become tied up in knots? Enjoy all perspectives!

Strange because that commentary is central to the religious ideology.
I love the commentary, because it provides so many different insights. However, the Rabbi does have a point for me. Don't get so interested in commentary that when someone disrupts my reading, I snap and grumble at them.

Are you willing to admit, ''yeah, we Catholics are kinda right but ya' know, those Episcopalians are really, really right''?
It makes no difference what I think about any other faith or any other Christian denomination. I learn and follow Catholic teaching, while others learn and follow other teachings. Just as I never expected everyone to follow the college major I pursued, I never expected everyone to pursue the same faith I chose. But then I was born into an extended family of several Christian denominations and a few atheists, so to me that was the norm.

Mary's conception and what happened to her personally isn't something I dwell on. That is Mary's personal life, her story. If someone had bothered to ask me, I would have said, "That is Mary's business and we shouldn't be gossiping about something so personal. It has no affect on us." Obviously, the Church disagreed, and thus I know the story, the history, the decision. To some of the earliest Christians it was an important point, and I respect those traditions. Further, it seems it was important to Mary as well, because as late as the mid 1850s, she introduced herself with this title.

I see no fuss, any more than I see a fuss over Aesop's The Farmer and the Snake. There are talking points in each. In Aesop's tale, the farmer takes pity on a frozen snake and warms him underneath his coat. The snake revives and bites the farmer who then dies. The moral, Do not take pity on a scoundrel. I agree that is sound advice, but is it always fair to compare a scoundrel to a poisonous snake. The scoundrel is also a human being.

One of my favorite talking points about God walking in the garden is the location of Eden. Was Eden on earth, or is Eden of the spiritual realm?

What, in either story, over which anyone should become tied up in knots? Enjoy all perspectives!
I suppose a difference between Aesop's Fables and the Bible is no threat of eternal punishment from an angry supernatural being as a part of Aesop's storytelling.

I suppose a difference between Aesop's Fables and the Bible is no threat of eternal punishment from an angry supernatural being as a part of Aesop's storytelling.
Note that the modern, cafeteria Christians discard any ridiculous piece as "fable" (quite dishonestly, as the authors purported the myths to be true, not fables).

Why don't they do the same thing for the impossible immaculate conception? Or resurrection? The same laws of physics that render the other parts nonsensical apply to these events as well.

It makes no difference what I think about any other faith or any other Christian denomination. I learn and follow Catholic teaching, while others learn and follow other teachings. Just as I never expected everyone to follow the college major I pursued, I never expected everyone to pursue the same faith I chose. But then I was born into an extended family of several Christian denominations and a few atheists, so to me that was the norm.

Mary's conception and what happened to her personally isn't something I dwell on. That is Mary's personal life, her story. If someone had bothered to ask me, I would have said, "That is Mary's business and we shouldn't be gossiping about something so personal. It has no affect on us." Obviously, the Church disagreed, and thus I know the story, the history, the decision. To some of the earliest Christians it was an important point, and I respect those traditions. Further, it seems it was important to Mary as well, because as late as the mid 1850s, she introduced herself with this title.
Mary's story ''has no affect on us''? I think Mary's story has a profound affect on Christianity.

Nor is there such a threat in the Catholic faith. Note that in the Aesop's fable I referenced, there was the threat of death.

Mary's story ''has no affect on us''? I think Mary's story has a profound affect on Christianity.
Her Immaculate Conception had a profound affect on Christianity? How so? Only Catholics celebrate it as a Holy Day.

Her Immaculate Conception had a profound affect on Christianity? How so? Only Catholics celebrate it as a Holy Day.
The virgin birth is a central theme in Christianity. The birth of Jesus and all that follows. Is there any such thing as Christianity without Jesus?

Catholicism doesn't recognize heaven and hell? Is that some New Wave denomination?
I said there was no threat of hell in the Catholic faith. Catholicism teaches hell is a choice made by each individual. Further Catholic teaching is that we do not know who--if anyone--is in hell.

The virgin birth is a central theme in Christianity. The birth of Jesus and all that follows. Is there any such thing as Christianity without Jesus?
We are speaking of the Immaculate Conception. The Immaculate Conception is Joachim and Anne's (Mary's parents) conception of Mary, not Mary's conception of Jesus. While Mary's conception is celebrated in the Catholic Church, Jesus' conception is not. The Annunciation of the Angel's message to Mary about his conception and birth are celebrated (March 25 of each year). Mary's own Immaculate Conception is celebrated on December 8.

The virgin birth, of course, is celebrated on December 25, nine months after the Annunciation. Tradition has it Jesus died on the day he was conceived (March 25). No, that date has never been proven.

Forum List

Back