Ben Carson refers to himself as a "scientist".

• Sorry, Media, You Won’t Destroy Ben Carson
    National Review ^ | 11/06/2015 | David French
    Let's begin with two propositions: There is a difference between an admirable man and a perfect man, and there is a difference between "vetting"and viciousness. The collective goal of the liberal media is now clear — to take one of America's most admired and brilliant men and somehow transform him into a dishonest, stupid extremist. The vetting of Ben Carson has become vicious, and to what end? An admirable man has been exposed as imperfect. The first round of attacks, focusing on Carson's alleged extremism, failed utterly. Under fire — for claiming that it would be better if victims...

A mechanic understands how a machine works once it is put together. An engine designer understands how to build the thing from scratch, because they understand about forces, torque and all that other stuff to a much deeper degree than the average mechanic does.

I wouldn't call a mechanic a scientist, but I would call an engine designer one.

Dr. Carson is a surgeon and understands a great deal about the nervous system and how it works. However, he's way out of his league when he tries to comment about archaeology and meteorology, those are disciplines that are not even remotely related to his very specialized field.

Ben Carson is a doctor, he's not a scientist.

I was just watching a press conference with Ben Carson. He said he's a scientist and "investigates" things.

He thinks pyramids are grain silos. He feels evolution is a Satanic conspiracy and climate change a scam.

If that's the result of his "research", can he really call himself a "scientist"?

That's because he is you twit. Doctors by definition are scientists. A brain surgeon is a highly skilled and trained one as well.

If you look at the SEQUENCE of events and not the time scale. For instance the descendence of life from the sea. Or the existence of plants before animals.
Of course you would have to ignore that the plants were created day 3 before the sun on day 4 for that SEQUENCE of events to remain valid!

A mechanic understands how a machine works once it is put together. An engine designer understands how to build the thing from scratch, because they understand about forces, torque and all that other stuff to a much deeper degree than the average mechanic does.

I wouldn't call a mechanic a scientist, but I would call an engine designer one.

Dr. Carson is a surgeon and understands a great deal about the nervous system and how it works. However, he's way out of his league when he tries to comment about archaeology and meteorology, those are disciplines that are not even remotely related to his very specialized field.

He has a undergrad degree in psychology-- that, by itself, makes him a scientist.

His medical training also makes him a scientist as well.

Outside of psychology and his medical field, I think he is a nutjob, but he is a scientist.

Let us be technical here.

Medical Doctor are scientists.
However, not all doctors are scientist.

For instance, lawyers hold a doctors degree--scientist they are not.

To be a scientist, you must either a)complete formal training in a science(like math, physics, psychology, medicine, economics(yes, economics is a science), chemistry, etc.) Or b) have contributed to a field of science, normally peer reviewed work. So, no you do not need a degree in the science to be considered a scientist! .

Besides that, you are an amateur scientist or hobbyist.

Let's say I don't see faith as a bad thing. EVEN AS a scientist. It makes you humble and less likely to bully others with your authority.. Nobody likes "know - it - alls... :cool-45:

Well,make up your mind. Do you believe God created everything in the form it is today, which is the core of creationism, or not?

I don't know.. But I DO KNOW --- that Darwin did not fully understand "the origin of the species"..

Nobody ever said it was a complete explanation. Creationists claim their theory is complete and unassailable.

Actually, the story in Genesis is pretty damn accurate for an allegorical account of the Creation. If you look at the SEQUENCE of events and not the time scale. Probably a bit more accurate than the Cherokee version that involved a turtle.

Creationists as a whole don't insist on a literal reading of Genesis. They only allow a measure of faith that God had a role in the Creation.

And if I'm forced to buy either the Creation or the The Big Bang without being allowed some measure of "faith" in those beliefs --- I'd be lying..

I guess you haven't been paying attention to what creationists are saying. They claim it is completely literal, and anything less is heretical. I am a Christian myself even though I rail against the religious nuts that use Christianity as an excuse for their personal hatred. God didn't create man to be stupid and ignore the reality of the world around them in favor of dogma.

Does your church practice a fundamental translation of Biblical events? If not -- don't be telling people of faith why they want to praise God when they ponder the deep questions..

Let us be technical here.

Medical Doctor are scientists.
However, not all doctors are scientist.

For instance, lawyers hold a doctors degree--scientist they are not.

To be a scientist, you must either a)complete formal training in a science(like math, physics, psychology, medicine, economics(yes, economics is a science), chemistry, etc.) Or b) have contributed to a field of science, normally peer reviewed work. So, no you do not need a degree in the science to be considered a scientist! .

Besides that, you are an amateur scientist or hobbyist.

Say WHAT? Thats' a technicality. That a doctor in Russian History is not a scientist. Only a confused person would bring that up. MEDICAL doctors are ALL scientists and have studied all those things that you listed at a college level. Not all MDs could set up a valid statistical study, and not all MDs are cut for research or development of products --- but they all think and operate as scientists..

Actually, the intense physics and chemistry and statistics that MDs are required to learn are VERY applicable to portions of archaeology, and meteorology for example. In some cases, they understand SOME of the fundamentals BETTER than folks practicing in that field. They learn how to explore problems from odd angles. Like trying to focus on patient interviews and eliminate environmental, lifestyle, causes. They are TRAINED to be curious and be problem solvers.

That's all it really takes to explore other areas of science when you have a solid background in the hard sciences.

And again -- ALL MDs are scientists.

Well,make up your mind. Do you believe God created everything in the form it is today, which is the core of creationism, or not?

I don't know.. But I DO KNOW --- that Darwin did not fully understand "the origin of the species"..

Nobody ever said it was a complete explanation. Creationists claim their theory is complete and unassailable.

Actually, the story in Genesis is pretty damn accurate for an allegorical account of the Creation. If you look at the SEQUENCE of events and not the time scale. Probably a bit more accurate than the Cherokee version that involved a turtle.

Creationists as a whole don't insist on a literal reading of Genesis. They only allow a measure of faith that God had a role in the Creation.

And if I'm forced to buy either the Creation or the The Big Bang without being allowed some measure of "faith" in those beliefs --- I'd be lying..

I guess you haven't been paying attention to what creationists are saying. They claim it is completely literal, and anything less is heretical. I am a Christian myself even though I rail against the religious nuts that use Christianity as an excuse for their personal hatred. God didn't create man to be stupid and ignore the reality of the world around them in favor of dogma.

Does your church practice a fundamental translation of Biblical events? If not -- don't be telling people of faith why they want to praise God when they ponder the deep questions..

By all means praise God any time you want and for any reason you like. Just don't try to impose your fundamentalist beliefs on the country's laws.

Al Gore referred to himself as a scientist and invented the theory of "man made global warming" just to make a buck from selling non existing energy stock and the idiotic left eats it like paplum. Wouldn't any freaking sane person in the whole freaking world consider that a pediatric neuro brain surgeon can safely be referred to as a real scientist?
I wasn't lying about Ben Carson.

By all means praise God any time you want and for any reason you like. Just don't try to impose your fundamentalist beliefs on the country's laws.

I don't have any religious fundamentalist beliefs. But I am spiritual and I prefer to live amongst people of faith rather than arrogant humanist secularists who believe that man's current laws are absolute and brilliant and not to be debated -- and there's no knowledge that's important unless it appears in the NYTimes . So I guess if politically I had to choose -- I'd probably go jump in the Humble foxhole and not in the Arrogant foxhole..

He has a undergrad degree in psychology-- that, by itself, makes him a scientist.
---
Ha, ha, ha. Sorry, that was too funny.
I would not consider anyone with only an undergrad degree a scientist, esp a psych degree with an interest in "therapy " vs research.

PhD or other doctor clinicians who "practice" the knowledge they learn are also not in the same league as research scientists, who produce knowledge.

Carson produced valuable knowledge as a leading neurosurgeon. esp in surgery techniques.
As far as psychology is concerned, he failed as a social scientist, neglecting to understand that his religion, as well as others, are cultural phenomena.

Actually, the intense physics and chemistry and statistics that MDs are required to learn are VERY applicable to portions of archaeology, and meteorology for example. In some cases, they understand SOME of the fundamentals BETTER than folks practicing in that field.
That is pure baloney!

For example, in Physics MD get a survey course that does not even use Calculus, and you really believe they understand Physics without knowing Calculus. :cuckoo: The only intense science they study is Anatomy & Physiology.

Forum List

Back