Ben Carson refers to himself as a "scientist".

Actually, the intense physics and chemistry and statistics that MDs are required to learn are VERY applicable to portions of archaeology, and meteorology for example. In some cases, they understand SOME of the fundamentals BETTER than folks practicing in that field.
That is pure baloney!

For example, in Physics MD get a survey course that does not even use Calculus, and you really believe they understand Physics without knowing Calculus. :cuckoo: The only intense science they study is Anatomy and Physiology.

They don't take Chemistry ?

Actually, the intense physics and chemistry and statistics that MDs are required to learn are VERY applicable to portions of archaeology, and meteorology for example. In some cases, they understand SOME of the fundamentals BETTER than folks practicing in that field.
That is pure baloney!

For example, in Physics MD get a survey course that does not even use Calculus, and you really believe they understand Physics without knowing Calculus. :cuckoo: The only intense science they study is Anatomy and Physiology.

They do, both General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry, but again it a watered down version no where as demanding as what a Chemistry Major would take.

Nobody ever said it was a complete explanation. Creationists claim their theory is complete and unassailable.

Actually, the story in Genesis is pretty damn accurate for an allegorical account of the Creation. If you look at the SEQUENCE of events and not the time scale. Probably a bit more accurate than the Cherokee version that involved a turtle.

Creationists as a whole don't insist on a literal reading of Genesis. They only allow a measure of faith that God had a role in the Creation.

And if I'm forced to buy either the Creation or the The Big Bang without being allowed some measure of "faith" in those beliefs --- I'd be lying..

I guess you haven't been paying attention to what creationists are saying. They claim it is completely literal, and anything less is heretical. I am a Christian myself even though I rail against the religious nuts that use Christianity as an excuse for their personal hatred. God didn't create man to be stupid and ignore the reality of the world around them in favor of dogma.

Does your church practice a fundamental translation of Biblical events? If not -- don't be telling people of faith why they want to praise God when they ponder the deep questions..

By all means praise God any time you want and for any reason you like. Just don't try to impose your fundamentalist beliefs on the country's laws.

I don't have any religious fundamentalist beliefs. But I am spiritual and I prefer to live amongst people of faith rather than arrogant humanist secularists who believe that man's current laws are absolute and brilliant and not to be debated -- and there's no knowledge that's important unless it appears in the NYTimes . So I guess if politically I had to choose -- I'd probably go jump in the Humble foxhole and not in the Arrogant foxhole..

I really don't get your foxhole analogy, but the so called religious right is anything but humble.

That is pure baloney!

For example, in Physics MD get a survey course that does not even use Calculus, and you really believe they understand Physics without knowing Calculus. :cuckoo: The only intense science they study is Anatomy & Physiology.

Sure chief. Whatever you say. I have no fucking idea how that MRI thingy that I am putting you into tonight works. I just want to see the pretty flashing lights. Never heard about xrays. And I really can't explain to you why that barium milkshake ain't gonna make your junk green. Don't know the diff between an alcohol and an ester. And I'll never know how to evaluate the statistics of the studies for that drug I just injected you with..

Because like Esd the cynic says. I am not a scientist. I am just an anatomy ex0ert. And may I tell ya ma'am you have a lovely anatomy. Get off the boat junior.

That is pure baloney!

For example, in Physics MD get a survey course that does not even use Calculus, and you really believe they understand Physics without knowing Calculus. :cuckoo: The only intense science they study is Anatomy & Physiology.

Sure chief. Whatever you say. I have no fucking idea how that MRI thingy that I am putting you into tonight works. I just want to see the pretty flashing lights. Never heard about xrays. And I really can't explain to you why that barium milkshake ain't gonna make your junk green. Don't know the diff between an alcohol and an ester. And I'll never know how to evaluate the statistics of the studies for that drug I just injected you with..

Because like Esd the cynic says. I am not a scientist. I am just an anatomy ex0ert. And may I tell ya ma'am you have a lovely anatomy. Get off the boat junior.
Are you trying to claim the Physics you took required you to have Calculus as a prerequisite?
If so, I call BULLSHIT!

A mechanic understands how a machine works once it is put together. An engine designer understands how to build the thing from scratch, because they understand about forces, torque and all that other stuff to a much deeper degree than the average mechanic does.

I wouldn't call a mechanic a scientist, but I would call an engine designer one.

Dr. Carson is a surgeon and understands a great deal about the nervous system and how it works. However, he's way out of his league when he tries to comment about archaeology and meteorology, those are disciplines that are not even remotely related to his very specialized field.

Ben Carson is a doctor, he's not a scientist.

Actually, the intense physics and chemistry and statistics that MDs are required to learn are VERY applicable to portions of archaeology, and meteorology for example. In some cases, they understand SOME of the fundamentals BETTER than folks practicing in that field. They learn how to explore problems from odd angles. Like trying to focus on patient interviews and eliminate environmental, lifestyle, causes. They are TRAINED to be curious and be problem solvers.

That's all it really takes to explore other areas of science when you have a solid background in the hard sciences.

And again -- ALL MDs are scientists.

Well, no. My kid won't be a doctor until next year, but I don't remember her talking much about the archaeology or meteorology parts of her study, and I'm pretty sure she would have mentioned it.

That is pure baloney!

Research doctors usually know a lot about their particular field of practice. If they are working on a new drug, they are pretty good chemists. Most doctors, have little more than a cursory knowledge of the aspects of medicine that they don't specialize in, and perhaps one in a million knows anything about archaeology.

Al Gore referred to himself as a scientist and invented the theory of "man made global warming" just to make a buck from selling non existing energy stock and the idiotic left eats it like paplum. Wouldn't any freaking sane person in the whole freaking world consider that a pediatric neuro brain surgeon can safely be referred to as a real scientist?
I wasn't lying about Ben Carson.

Actually, yes you were. That and demonstrating your profound ignorance at the same time.

That is pure baloney!

They do, both General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry, but again it a watered down version no where as demanding as what a Chemistry Major would take.[/QUOTE
That is pure baloney!

Are you trying to claim the Physics you took required you to have Calculus as a prerequisite?
If so, I call BULLSHIT!

You r absurd and unessarily argumentàtive. Just TRY to get añ invite into a med school without ever taking calculus...

Or go look at the guidance recommendations for prre med at a top rank school. If you didn't take calculus in high school or as a freshman. You're not a serious candidate to be an MD. I was pre med. With concentration on engineering. Other pre meds thought I was nuts.

Al Gore referred to himself as a scientist and invented the theory of "man made global warming" just to make a buck from selling non existing energy stock and the idiotic left eats it like paplum. Wouldn't any freaking sane person in the whole freaking world consider that a pediatric neuro brain surgeon can safely be referred to as a real scientist?
I wasn't lying about Ben Carson.

Actually, yes you were. That and demonstrating your profound ignorance at the same time.

Exactly what was the lie? That Carson thinks pyramids were grain silos? That he thinks evolution is a satanic conspiracy? or that he thinks that climate change is a scam? Carson has made his belief on these things clear, and it wouldn't be hard to document them.

Al Gore also invented the internet.
While the Right credits Gore with "inventing" the internet, his influence in the creation is undeniable, Gore himself modestly takes credit for nothing more than arranging the funding of its development while he served in Congress.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

He's actually defending Gore's claim to be the father of the internet!
As I have shown so many times before, when lying scum Right-wingers get caught lying, they just keep on lying.

As you well know, Gore NEVER said he was the father of the internet, that lie was coined by a lying scum Right-winger named Declan McCullagh.

Al Gore had seen what happened with the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act of 1956, which his father introduced as a military bill. It was very powerful. Housing went up, suburban boom happened, everybody became mobile. Al was attuned to the power of networking much more than any of his elective colleagues. His initiatives led directly to the commercialization of the Internet. So he really does deserve credit.
- Vint Cerf, Father of the Internet

Vint Cerf, Tim Berners-Lee, Al Gore Among Internet Hall of Fame Inductees
Al Gore: Former U.S. vice president and senator who championed the funding and development of the Internet in Congress

Washingtonpost.com: Gore Deserves Internet Credit, Some Say

Gore Deserves Internet Credit, Some Say

gore_011499ap.jpg

Vice President Al Gore. (AP File Photo)
By John Schwartz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, March 21, 1999; Page A4
So -- did he do it?

Did Al Gore create the Internet?

The vice president's recent comment that he "took the initiative in creating the Internet" opened Gore up for wide derision, because the global computer network had its beginnings more than 25 years ago.

Former vice president Dan Quayle (R) scoffed to a reporter that "if Gore invented the Internet, I invented spell-check." Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (R-Miss.) countered that he had invented the paper clip. Despite the partisan mirth, many of the researchers and venerated propeller-heads who did have a hand in the Internet's creation said Gore deserves substantial credit for passing a number of bills that boosted supercomputing and high-speed communications networks, which in turn helped create the Internet as it exists today.

David J. Farber, a professor of computer science at the University of Pennsylvania and one of the early players in the Internet, said that along with the importance of his legislative initiatives, Gore popularized the emerging medium worldwide. Gore aligned himself with high tech long before every lawmaker boasted of his or her personal Web site. He helped popularize the term "information superhighway," drawing on the symbolism of his father's hand in creating the interstate highway system.

Vinton G. Cerf, a senior vice president at MCI Worldcom and the person most often called "the father of the Internet" for his part in designing the network's common computer language, said in an e-mail interview yesterday, "I think it is very fair to say that the Internet would not be where it is in the United States without the strong support given to it and related research areas by the vice president in his current role and in his earlier role as senator."

The co-author of a history of the online world, "Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins of the Internet," agreed. Katie Hafner said people have been haggling over the true beginnings of the network for decades. "As we all know, there are many paternity claims on the Internet. That's a given, because it's so successful. But there are so many people who did at least one pivotal thing in either creating the network, or encouraging the use of the network, or bringing the network to the public -- and Gore was one of those people."

When lying scum Left-wingers get caught lying, you just keep on lying.

Al Gore: "I took the initiative in creating the internet"

Created is a synonym of invented, dumb ass.

And what's even funnier is that the father of the internet doesn't know the difference between the internet and the web. The internet has been around since circa 1960, he meant to take credit for inventing the web.

You and Gore are a couple of dumb asses

While the Right credits Gore with "inventing" the internet, his influence in the creation is undeniable, Gore himself modestly takes credit for nothing more than arranging the funding of its development while he served in Congress.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

As I have shown so many times before, when lying scum Right-wingers get caught lying, they just keep on lying.

As you well know, Gore NEVER said he was the father of the internet, that lie was coined by a lying scum Right-winger named Declan McCullagh.

Al Gore had seen what happened with the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act of 1956, which his father introduced as a military bill. It was very powerful. Housing went up, suburban boom happened, everybody became mobile. Al was attuned to the power of networking much more than any of his elective colleagues. His initiatives led directly to the commercialization of the Internet. So he really does deserve credit.

Al Gore: Former U.S. vice president and senator who championed the funding and development of the Internet in Congress

gore_011499ap.jpg

By John Schwartz
So -- did he do it?

The vice president's recent comment that he "took the initiative in creating the Internet" opened Gore up for wide derision, because the global computer network had its beginnings more than 25 years ago.

Former vice president Dan Quayle (R) scoffed to a reporter that "if Gore invented the Internet, I invented spell-check." Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (R-Miss.) countered that he had invented the paper clip. Despite the partisan mirth, many of the researchers and venerated propeller-heads who did have a hand in the Internet's creation said Gore deserves substantial credit for passing a number of bills that boosted supercomputing and high-speed communications networks, which in turn helped create the Internet as it exists today.

David J. Farber, a professor of computer science at the University of Pennsylvania and one of the early players in the Internet, said that along with the importance of his legislative initiatives, Gore popularized the emerging medium worldwide. Gore aligned himself with high tech long before every lawmaker boasted of his or her personal Web site. He helped popularize the term "information superhighway," drawing on the symbolism of his father's hand in creating the interstate highway system.

Vinton G. Cerf, a senior vice president at MCI Worldcom and the person most often called "the father of the Internet" for his part in designing the network's common computer language, said in an e-mail interview yesterday, "I think it is very fair to say that the Internet would not be where it is in the United States without the strong support given to it and related research areas by the vice president in his current role and in his earlier role as senator."

The co-author of a history of the online world, "Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins of the Internet," agreed. Katie Hafner said people have been haggling over the true beginnings of the network for decades. "As we all know, there are many paternity claims on the Internet. That's a given, because it's so successful. But there are so many people who did at least one pivotal thing in either creating the network, or encouraging the use of the network, or bringing the network to the public -- and Gore was one of those people."

And what's even funnier is that the father of the internet doesn't know the difference between the internet and the web. The internet has been around since circa 1960, he meant to take credit for inventing the web.

Odd that you would go back that far and pick out someone who hasn't been active in politics for a decade and a half just to try to change the subject from Carson's dumb assed statements.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

gore_011499ap.jpg

By John Schwartz
So -- did he do it?

Odd that you would go back that far and pick out someone who hasn't been active in politics for a decade and a half just to try to change the subject from Carson's dumb assed statements.

WTF? Did you read the post I responded to? What is wrong with you?

A mechanic understands how a machine works once it is put together. An engine designer understands how to build the thing from scratch, because they understand about forces, torque and all that other stuff to a much deeper degree than the average mechanic does.

I wouldn't call a mechanic a scientist, but I would call an engine designer one.

Dr. Carson is a surgeon and understands a great deal about the nervous system and how it works. However, he's way out of his league when he tries to comment about archaeology and meteorology, those are disciplines that are not even remotely related to his very specialized field.

Ben Carson is a doctor, he's not a scientist.

Actually, an engine designer is an engineer, not a scientist. He doesn't try to discover new things about nature. He uses the facts that are already understood.

Carson is not an archaeologist or a meteorologist, he's a doctor, which means the human body is his field of inquiry.

First you proved that you don't know what a scientist is. Then you proved you haven't got the faintest clue what a doctor does.

That is pure baloney!

They do, both General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry, but again it a watered down version no where as demanding as what a Chemistry Major would take.[/QUOTE
That is pure baloney!

If so, I call BULLSHIT!

You r absurd and unessarily argumentàtive. Just TRY to get añ invite into a med school without ever taking calculus...

Or go look at the guidance recommendations for prre med at a top rank school. If you didn't take calculus in high school or as a freshman. You're not a serious candidate to be an MD. I was pre med. With concentration on engineering. Other pre meds thought I was nuts.

Medical School Entrance Requirements
College work in mathematics is required by some medical schools and recommended by almost all. A very few medical schools require one year of calculus. Also, a very few require one semester of statistics. See the book Medical School Admissions Requirements or individual medical schools’ web pages to verify premedical requirements.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

gore_011499ap.jpg

By John Schwartz
So -- did he do it?

And INITIATIVE is NOT a synonym for invented!

Another pathological liar taking the quote out of context even after I posted the entire quote, proving the lying scum Right will always lie in the face of the truth.

For example, in Physics MD get a survey course that does not even use Calculus, and you really believe they understand Physics without knowing Calculus.

And you believe that it's impossible to understand physics without knowing calculus? Because that's pretty ridiculous. True understanding comes from knowing the fundamental concepts. This is true for all things in life. That is why there so many educated people in the world who are so lackluster in their careers. It's why our American education system is failing our country. We've become obsessed with the hard and tangible aspects of raw data being recorded inside the brain's semantic memory, we've substantially neglected the fact that data is never used well unless a person first develops a foundational understanding of the subject matter.

They do, both General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry, but again it a watered down version no where as demanding as what a Chemistry Major would take.

Speaking of pure baloney....

Just because someone in one major doesn't take a full spectrum of chemistry courses on par with "what a chemistry major would take" does not mean that their courses are "watered down." In case you didn't know this, colleges generally offer standard courses, which are then attended by people who need them for a wide assortment of fields of study. So, when a pre-med student is required to take Chem 101 and Chem 102, it's the same Chem 101 and Chem 102 that a chem major will be taking. As a matter of fact, the pre-med student will probably be sitting smack dab in between a bunch of chem majors.

Sure, the pre-med student might not ever bother taking Advanced Underwater Chemistry in Hyperspace. But that doesn't mean that the pre-med student has taken a "watered down" version of chemistry. They simply didn't take the advanced level classes.

Oh, and just an FYI, the most advanced classes in a chem major's portfolio are going to tend to be things like physics classes, organic chemistry, etc.

Forum List

Back