Ben Franklin Said It Best

He also said
The Face first grows lank and wrinkled; then the Neck; then the Breast and Arms; the lower Parts continuing to the last as plump as ever: So that covering all above with a Basket, and regarding only what is below the Girdle, it is impossible of two Women to know an old from a young one. And as in the dark all Cats are grey, the Pleasure of corporal Enjoyment with an old Woman is at least equal, and frequently superior, every Knack being by Practice capable of Improvement.[1]

He also said
The Face first grows lank and wrinkled; then the Neck; then the Breast and Arms; the lower Parts continuing to the last as plump as ever: So that covering all above with a Basket, and regarding only what is below the Girdle, it is impossible of two Women to know an old from a young one. And as in the dark all Cats are grey, the Pleasure of corporal Enjoyment with an old Woman is at least equal, and frequently superior, every Knack being by Practice capable of Improvement.[1]
Wiki? Let me go change that entry.

Keywords and phrases are "essential Liberty" and "a little temporary Safety". Both are subjective and open to interpretation.
Not really. Words have definitions, without which interpretation wouldn't exist. Interpretaion is what lawyers pay other to teach them to do, to create ambiguity, for job justification.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Large groups of people aren't that essential for a few weeks if the alternative is unchecked spread of the virus. Getting past the curve is more than just a little temporary safety.

Keywords and phrases are "essential Liberty" and "a little temporary Safety". Both are subjective and open to interpretation.
Not really. Words have definitions, without which interpretation wouldn't exist. Interpretaion is what lawyers pay other to teach them to do, to create ambiguity, for job justification.
Bullshit uneducated nonsense from someone who doesn't know the difference between subjective and objective. Define essential liberty and a little temporary safety.

He also said

Won't be able to change this, and more on your pseudotopic:

>> “In 1736 I lost one of my sons, a fine boy of four years old, by the smallpox taken in the common way. I long regretted bitterly and still regret that I had not given it to him by inoculation. This I mention for the sake of the parents who omit that operation, on the supposition that they should never forgive themselves if a child died under it; my example showing that the regret may be the same either way, and that, therefore, the safer should be chosen.”1 << -- source
Smallpox ravaged the American colonies especially in the northeast, for a century and a half beginning in the 1630s, In 1721 in Boston, where Ben Franklin was born and raised (he was then fifteen), nearly 6000 people contracted smallpox and nearly 15% of them died of it. A primitive form of inoculation had been introduced by a slave who described the practice from West Africa, and substantially reduced the death toll. While the Franklin Brothers' publication was at first critical of the idea, Franklin himself was inoculated, and planned on inoculating his son in 1736 but the procedure was put off to Franklin's chagrin, and he became a strong advocate of inoculation as a result.

Further reading: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Vaccines

Last edited:
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
I dearly wish some of you would read each others' posts so we wouldn't have to go through this over and over.

That quote by Franklin was actually IN SUPPORT of the authority of the Pennsylvania Assembly to tax a particular large landholder who the Governor was continuing to "let off the hook." The Assembly was trying to raise money to fight the French and Indian War. It's kind of confusing, but Franklin's quote had nothing to do with individual liberties. He was talking about TAXES.

I dearly wish some of you would read each others' posts so we wouldn't have to go through this over and over.

That quote by Franklin was actually IN SUPPORT of the authority of the Pennsylvania Assembly to tax a particular large landholder who the Governor was continuing to "let off the hook." The Assembly was trying to raise money to fight the French and Indian War. It's kind of confusing, but Franklin's quote had nothing to do with individual liberties. He was talking about TAXES.
It has to do with surrendering for the sake of safety.

He also said

Won't be able to change this, and more on your pseudotopic:

>> “In 1736 I lost one of my sons, a fine boy of four years old, by the smallpox taken in the common way. I long regretted bitterly and still regret that I had not given it to him by inoculation. This I mention for the sake of the parents who omit that operation, on the supposition that they should never forgive themselves if a child died under it; my example showing that the regret may be the same either way, and that, therefore, the safer should be chosen.”1 << -- source
Smallpox ravaged the American colonies especially in the northeast, for a century and a half beginning in the 1630s,

Further reading: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Vaccines
Great point! They never shutdown liberty for smallpox and as a result America became the greatest nation in human history.

Old Ben would be rolling over in his grave seeing you misuse his famous quote.

WITTES: The exact quotation, which is from a letter that Franklin is believed to have written on behalf of the Pennsylvania General Assembly, reads, those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

SIEGEL: And what was the context of this remark?

WITTES: He was writing about a tax dispute between the Pennsylvania General Assembly and the family of the Penns, the proprietary family of the Pennsylvania colony who ruled it from afar. And the legislature was trying to tax the Penn family lands to pay for frontier defense during the French and Indian War. And the Penn family kept instructing the governor to veto. Franklin felt that this was a great affront to the ability of the legislature to govern. And so he actually meant purchase a little temporary safety very literally. The Penn family was trying to give a lump sum of money in exchange for the General Assembly's acknowledging that it did not have the authority to tax it.

Large groups of people aren't that essential for a few weeks if the alternative is unchecked spread of the virus. Getting past the curve is more than just a little temporary safety.
For a few weeks? CV is here to stay, and when people get tired of that BS excuse then it’s the global warming myth to suspend liberty. Then the next virus.

Great point! They never shutdown liberty for smallpox and as a result America became the greatest nation in human history.
That's the winner of the most idiotic post of the week. And among Trumpette's the competition was stiff so congrats.

Old Ben would be rolling over in his grave seeing you misuse his famous quote.

WITTES: The exact quotation, which is from a letter that Franklin is believed to have written on behalf of the Pennsylvania General Assembly, reads, those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

SIEGEL: And what was the context of this remark?

WITTES: He was writing about a tax dispute between the Pennsylvania General Assembly and the family of the Penns, the proprietary family of the Pennsylvania colony who ruled it from afar. And the legislature was trying to tax the Penn family lands to pay for frontier defense during the French and Indian War. And the Penn family kept instructing the governor to veto. Franklin felt that this was a great affront to the ability of the legislature to govern. And so he actually meant purchase a little temporary safety very literally. The Penn family was trying to give a lump sum of money in exchange for the General Assembly's acknowledging that it did not have the authority to tax it.
The quote stands.

That's the winner of the most idiotic post of the week. And among Trumpette's the competition was stiff so congrats.
Did you enjoy the video of ten white cops dragging a black man off a bus because he didn’t have a mask?

I'm not so sure eating out or drinking at a bar are "essential" liberties.

In fact I don't feel too put out at all.

But then again I work for myself and mostly from home anyway. I do miss my regular jam sessions but we're making do with Zoom for now.

Forum List

Back