Ben Stein Stumps Richard Dawkins.

The oldest religions were shamanism - spirit world and animism- belief in souls.
They date back to around 300,000 BCE

We still to this day have religions that believe in the sprit world and in souls.

Why is that mankind has always had a belief in souls and the spirit world?

Perhaps it was taught by word of mouth by Adam and Eve who were the only ones who had the closest contact with God.

Genesis 3:8 And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God amongst the trees of the garden. kjv

Christianity is an extension of Judaism to include all gentiles. It was not appropriated.
The first Christians were Jews.
Christ was Jewish.

The oldest religions were shamanism - spirit world and animism- belief in souls.
They date back to around 300,000 BCE

We still to this day have religions that believe in the sprit world and in souls.

Why is that mankind has always had a belief in souls and the spirit world?

Perhaps it was taught by word of mouth by Adam and Eve who were the only ones who had the closest contact with God.

Genesis 3:8 And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God amongst the trees of the garden. kjv

Christianity is an extension of Judaism to include all gentiles. It was not appropriated.
The first Christians were Jews.
Christ was Jewish.

I'm a young earth Christian (Bible literalist) and believe that the first pure religion was Adam's relationship with God, the Creator. There were no barriers or traditions to separate Adam from God. The Bible states that the Creator is Christ (Colossians 1:16). The Bible also states that Christ is the Word and that "in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word WAS God" (John 1:1). Therefore, Christ was from the beginning which means that Adam believed in Christ.

Also, the God that the Israelites followed was also Christ:

1 Corinthians 10:1-4, "Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; And did all eat the same spiritual meat; And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ."

No other religion on earth preceded God's first contact with man which occurred in the Garden of Eden.

We can always expect such insightful, compelling arguments from the intellectually crippled.

You are utterly clueless as to the history of the religion you were born into so your homework is to research the Canaanite pagan polytheism from which Judaism (and hence all the following Abrahamic faiths) originally evolved. If you insist on refusing to understand the religions from which yours evolved, you will never understand its pagan roots without justifying charges of special pleading.

lol.....atheists are so much fun.....if they aren't spreading one ridiculous claim, its another.....

You can't refute the pagan roots of Christianity so you're left to snide remarks.

I'm afraid you'll need to give an example of these "pagan roots" so I can comment on them.....so far I haven't seen much......let me guess....do you think Isis had a virgin birth?.....when her second child was born?.......

I've tried to help you learn. You are resistant when knowledge conflicts with your dogma.

As resistant as you are when dogma conflicts with your lack of knowledge?

Once again we the lies that fundies will convince themselves to accept in order to protect their dogma.

So, we can agree that Greek, Egyptian, Persian mythology pre-dates Christianity as does Judaism, from which Christianity co-opted much of its theology.

You've tried to shuffle around your pointless claim that religions which existed prior to Christianity somehow took some of Christianity's elements.

Yeah, that is foolish and pointless. But it's your claim.

tell me about pagan roots of Christianity, Hollie....have you run across many pagan religions where the deity sacrificed himself to restore his people to good favor?.....

lol.....atheists are so much fun.....if they aren't spreading one ridiculous claim, its another.....

You can't refute the pagan roots of Christianity so you're left to snide remarks.

I'm afraid you'll need to give an example of these "pagan roots" so I can comment on them.....so far I haven't seen much......let me guess....do you think Isis had a virgin birth?.....when her second child was born?.......
If a second child negates virgin birth, then James the brother of Jesus negates the virgin birth of Jesus. You can't have it both ways no matter how much you might want it that way!

That was as pointless as your usual pointlessness. I've already addressed this.

As usual, you need repeated reminders of what you have been instructed with just moments ago.

If a second child negates virgin birth, then James the brother of Jesus negates the virgin birth of Jesus. You can't have it both ways no matter how much you might want it that way!

/facepalm.....its claimed (by some AtheistsRUs websites) that Isis' second child was a virgin birth......ask me if Mary's delivery of James was a virgin birth,.....(why are atheists so fucking dumb)

Last edited:

As usual, you need repeated reminders of what you have been instructed with just moments ago.

lol...yeah....you addressed it by saying it happened....now I'm asking you if can come up with an actual example.....tell me which Christian doctrine was grown from a pagan root......

and don't bother with 2nd Century Roman Mithraism, because none of its parallels with Christianity were present in the ancient form of the religion.....

and don't pretend that some Egyptian deity of the Sun is obviously Jesus Christ because once he was called the morning star.....because Jesus Christ didn't ride a chariot across the sky and park it in a cave every night.....

come up with something fresh and legitimate to occupy myself for an hour or so while I ridicule it....

lol...yeah....you addressed it by saying it happened....now I'm asking you if can come up with an actual example.....tell me which Christian doctrine was grown from a pagan root......

I'll have to repeat it again for you. I already addressed this.

What exactly is a pagan root? Have you ever considered arranging words (with appropriate punctuation), into coherent sentences that might form coherent paragraphs?

What exactly is a pagan root? Have you ever considered arranging words (with appropriate punctuation), into coherent sentences that might form coherent paragraphs?

I rather assumed you already knew....since you were the one who made the accusation in the first place....
you will never understand its pagan roots without justifying charges of special pleading.

and don't bother with 2nd Century Roman Mithraism, because none of its parallels with Christianity were present in the ancient form of the religion.....

and don't pretend that some Egyptian deity of the Sun is obviously Jesus Christ because once he was called the morning star.....because Jesus Christ didn't ride a chariot across the sky and park it in a cave every night.....

come up with something fresh and legitimate to occupy myself for an hour or so while I ridicule it....

You make the typical mistake of not understanding that Mithraism existed before the Romans.

You might want to quickly edit your post before too many people see you as an intellectual misfit.

I rather assumed you already knew....since you were the one who made the accusation in the first place....
you will never understand its pagan roots without justifying charges of special pleading.

I wrote nothing of a pagan root.

You're so befuddled, you're left to stuttering and mumbling.

You make the typical mistake of not understanding that Mithraism existed before the Romans.

You might want to quickly edit your post before too many people see you as an intellectual misfit.
really?.....do you think the fact I distinguished between 2nd Century Roman Mithraism and ancient Mithraism shows I don't understand it existed before the Romans?......that's an interesting conclusion.....obviously dumber than a stump, but interesting.....how did you rationalize that?.....

Last edited:

I wrote nothing of a pagan root.

You're so befuddled, you're left to stuttering and mumbling.

its in the quote right in front of you, you silly twit.....

Not so fast there Slick! If giving birth to a second child negates virgin birth, then the birth of James the brother of Jesus negates the virgin birth of Jesus. You can't have it both ways. BTW, Anubis, the brother of Horus, was adopted and therefore born of Isis.

Also, there are 32 examples of virgin birth in mythology.

Not Just Jesus: Other Virgin Births | Law of Attraction GPS

really?.....do you think the fact I distinguished between 2nd Century Roman Mithraism and ancient Mithraism show I don't understand it existed before the Romans?......that's an interesting conclusion.....obviously dumber than a stump, but interesting.....how did you rationalize that?.....

Really, do you think your bumbling gives anyone confidence that you have a clue?

Persian Mithraism existed prior to Christianity. That was represented to another of your young earth homies.

You should learn to pay attention.

Not so fast there Slick! If giving birth to a second child negates virgin birth, then the birth of James the brother of Jesus negates the virgin birth of Jesus. You can't have it both ways. BTW, Anubis, the brother of Horus, was adopted and therefore born of Isis.

okay, let me work this through for you very slowly.....it is not the birth of the second child that negates the virgin birth of the first.......it is the birth of the first child that negates the possibility that the second was a virgin birth.....not to mention that Isis was married and conceived Horus by making a dildo out of her dead husbands missing body parts.....not your typical virgin birth......

/facepalm.....its claimed (by some AtheistsRUs websites) that Isis' second child was a virgin birth......ask me if Mary's delivery of James was a virgin birth,.....(why are atheists so fucking dumb)
Isis had only ONE child, Horus. His brother Anubis was ADOPTED, so Isis only birthed one child!!!

(why are creationists so fucking dumb)

really?.....do you think the fact I distinguished between 2nd Century Roman Mithraism and ancient Mithraism show I don't understand it existed before the Romans?......that's an interesting conclusion.....obviously dumber than a stump, but interesting.....how did you rationalize that?.....

Really, do you think your bumbling gives anyone confidence that you have a clue?

Persian Mithraism existed prior to Christianity. That was represented to another of your young earth homies.

You should learn to pay attention.
I know that Persian Mithraism predated Christianity.....that was obvious from my first post.....I also know that Persian Mithraism has no parallels to Christianity, though the Roman Mithraism which existed two centuries AFTER Christ does.....

Forum List

Back