Bernie Sanders: The Cable Bill Is Too Damn High

I know you have thought of Satellite TV and Internet! Any reason you didn't subscribe to the cheaper "DISH" provider?

Yes, because some of my neighbors have DISH and Direct TV and they don't seem too happy with them. In the old days I had a 13 foot dish and the picture was EXCELLENT. The price was also reasonable - until they figured out how to gouge on dish. I like cable because it seems the most reliable. They are all gouging.

I don't have cable TV OR DISH. If I want to see a movie I go to Red Box and rent one . For news,sports and other entertainment I use XM radio.
I feel great about that!

I understand, but I appreciate the convenience of instant TV when I want. I just don't like feeling like I'm buying a used car each month from some shyster in alligator shoes.
Yeah , tell me about it! That is the image that keeps me from getting cable.

As an aside, I wonder who owns the satellite beaming the programs to earth? Didn't the taxpayers pay for the rockets that put them in space?
I'd like to build my own DISH, decoder and receiving apparatus if it's legal... hmmm, something to check into I guess!

I know you have thought of Satellite TV and Internet! Any reason you didn't subscribe to the cheaper "DISH" provider?
Dish is still a rip off, and ISPs like Verizon/Comcast/Time Warner over-state data use to try and stop consumers watching Netflix at high quality.

If I was to watch two high quality netflix movies or tv show episodes a day for a month, then it would be around 300 GBs* (on a 250 GB cap*) - though it depends where you are, as ISPs treat each area of America differently, with some giving a 300GB cap* and over-stating less for data depending on where you live.

I know they over-state data use, as the moment there was a switch from a Comcast rented router to a personal router, the data use dropped dramatically by 50-80+GB.

*ISPs publicly deny they cap to regulators, but use punitive measures and ban customers from their services for 'excessive use', especially for some ill-fated customers in 'trial areas': Comcast agent tells customer that data caps are mandated by law Ars Technica
Why does Comcast impose data caps on its customers?

According to one spectacularly ill-informed customer service representative, the company does this because it's "mandated by the law."

A Comcast customer who is in one of the trial areas where Comcast charges overage fees when customers exceed data allotments called to cancel his service and received the bizarre explanation. In a reddit post, the now former Comcast customer wrote that he had been charged $120 in overage fees.
[...]
Comcast in 2012 ended a policy in which it would cut people's service off after they use 250GB in a month, replacing it with plans that charge customers extra when they go over the limit. Although this is what most people think of as a "data cap," Comcast says it's not a cap, because customers can use as much as they want if they don't mind paying more.

Last edited:

Yes, because some of my neighbors have DISH and Direct TV and they don't seem too happy with them. In the old days I had a 13 foot dish and the picture was EXCELLENT. The price was also reasonable - until they figured out how to gouge on dish. I like cable because it seems the most reliable. They are all gouging.

I don't have cable TV OR DISH. If I want to see a movie I go to Red Box and rent one . For news,sports and other entertainment I use XM radio.
I feel great about that!

I understand, but I appreciate the convenience of instant TV when I want. I just don't like feeling like I'm buying a used car each month from some shyster in alligator shoes.

As an aside, I wonder who owns the satellite beaming the programs to earth? Didn't the taxpayers pay for the rockets that put them in space?
I'd like to build my own DISH, decoder and receiving apparatus if it's legal... hmmm, something to check into I guess!
Hell kid I will save you the trouble on a Dish HD satellite dish, I have one that I don't use

I feel great about that!

Hell kid I will save you the trouble on a Dish HD satellite dish, I have one that I don't use
It won't be of any use to me if tapping into the satellite signals on my own is illegal! I have to research THAT first!

WASHINGTON -- Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) sent a letter on Friday accusing big cable companies of using monopoly powers to muscle consumers into paying higher prices.

In the letter, addressed to Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler, Sanders and Warren wrote that mega-mergers have left over 60 percent of Americans with no choice whatsoever when it comes to their cable and Internet providers. This state of things, they wrote, makes it possible for companies to jack up prices without losing customers to competition. Sens. Al Franken (D-Minn.) and Ed Markey (D-Mass.) also signed the letter.

"As the telecommunications industry becomes increasingly concentrated, this lack of choice has resulted in huge price increases and often poor service for consumers," the senators wrote. "There are now de facto telecommunications monopolies throughout the United States."

The letter noted that a new merger between Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications would only exacerbate the problem, saying that recent Time Warner price increases suggest the cable giant is already insulated from normal market pressures. Modem rental charges for Time Warner have jumped 203 percent since they were introduced in 2012, according to the letter. The FCC has the power to block the TWC-Charter deal.

"Given the lack of incentive for companies to provide better quality service and competitive prices, it is no surprise that individuals rank cable and Internet providers last in customer satisfaction when compared to other companies in other industries," the senators wrote.

Sanders and his colleagues asked for the FCC to publish a host of cable and broadband pricing data, so consumers could see how much they pay compared to customers in other areas. They asked the FCC to provide average prices for each state and each cable provider, and also asked the agency to publicize the average prices in urban areas compared to those in rural markets.

Read the full letter here.

More: Bernie Sanders: The Cable Bill Is Too Damn High

I totally agree with Bernie and Elizabeth. I hate cable companies. I've always hated cable companies. I always feel so unclean - and stupid - when I receive the monthly cable bill. I wouldn't feel that way if there was more competition and I had more options for cable service. I pay to watch that shit - then they bombard me with those insulting fucking commercials. They are very clever how they bundle their channels so you can't just subscribe to only the channels you want. Then, to add insult to injury, I am bombarded with endless fucking cable company commercials for TV, Internet, phone and home security bundling. They are legalized mafia. I hate cable companies.

Well cancel your subscription, tonto. I cancelled mine 11 years ago when I threw the TV out the door.

WASHINGTON -- Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) sent a letter on Friday accusing big cable companies of using monopoly powers to muscle consumers into paying higher prices.

In the letter, addressed to Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler, Sanders and Warren wrote that mega-mergers have left over 60 percent of Americans with no choice whatsoever when it comes to their cable and Internet providers. This state of things, they wrote, makes it possible for companies to jack up prices without losing customers to competition. Sens. Al Franken (D-Minn.) and Ed Markey (D-Mass.) also signed the letter.

"As the telecommunications industry becomes increasingly concentrated, this lack of choice has resulted in huge price increases and often poor service for consumers," the senators wrote. "There are now de facto telecommunications monopolies throughout the United States."

The letter noted that a new merger between Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications would only exacerbate the problem, saying that recent Time Warner price increases suggest the cable giant is already insulated from normal market pressures. Modem rental charges for Time Warner have jumped 203 percent since they were introduced in 2012, according to the letter. The FCC has the power to block the TWC-Charter deal.

"Given the lack of incentive for companies to provide better quality service and competitive prices, it is no surprise that individuals rank cable and Internet providers last in customer satisfaction when compared to other companies in other industries," the senators wrote.

Sanders and his colleagues asked for the FCC to publish a host of cable and broadband pricing data, so consumers could see how much they pay compared to customers in other areas. They asked the FCC to provide average prices for each state and each cable provider, and also asked the agency to publicize the average prices in urban areas compared to those in rural markets.

I totally agree with Bernie and Elizabeth. I hate cable companies. I've always hated cable companies. I always feel so unclean - and stupid - when I receive the monthly cable bill. I wouldn't feel that way if there was more competition and I had more options for cable service. I pay to watch that shit - then they bombard me with those insulting fucking commercials. They are very clever how they bundle their channels so you can't just subscribe to only the channels you want. Then, to add insult to injury, I am bombarded with endless fucking cable company commercials for TV, Internet, phone and home security bundling. They are legalized mafia. I hate cable companies.

What are Sanders and Warren going to do about middle class income tax rates being too high? Reclassify or redefine what is middle class?

What are Sanders and Warren going to do about middle class income tax rates being too high? Reclassify or redefine what is middle class?
They'll just push the magic number even higher so more of the tax burden is shifted to those already paying out the nose.

I'd be gone from satellite if I didn't have a bandwidth limit on my internet.

Between broadband and a good old fashioned tv antenna, there's no real need to get screwed out of 80 bucks or more a month by satellite or cable.

I would prefer only subscribing to channels I want. I'm paying for Univision to stay on the air. They would not survive if they depended on only the non English speaking. I also don't appreciate paying for a hundred sports channels. I'd love to opt out of football and basketball.

Better yet, why don't Sanders and Warren first reduce the cable tax burden that is impacting the poor and middle class? Control
What they can on the federal portion and get state and local authorities on board with them to refuce cable taxes?

Although I applaud Bernie and Elizabeth - I know I'll never live long enough to see this cable price gouging mess cleaned up.
There's an easy fix. Cancel the cable. I just finally did it and I am free.

If enough people do it they will get the message.

I'd be gone from satellite if I didn't have a bandwidth limit on my internet.

Between broadband and a good old fashioned tv antenna, there's no real need to get screwed out of 80 bucks or more a month by satellite or cable.

80 bucks would be cheap.

Better yet, why don't Sanders and Warren first reduce the cable tax burden that is impacting the poor and middle class? Control
What they can on the federal portion and get state and local authorities on board with them to refuce cable taxes?

How would that be "better yet"?

The Left goes after business and slaps taxes and regulations on them. Business simply increases their prices to cover those costs. It does not matter if you are Big Oil or small business entrepreneur, Sanders, Warren and crew are coming after you. On Big Oil, they rail against the billions in profits Oil Companies take in on $0.04 per gallon in profit. Have you checked out what Sanders and Warren are taking in..... $0.15 per gallon with no overhead costs or risk.

Yo

How would that be "better yet"?

They can reduce the costs by limiting taxes and regulations. Most consumers would agree that is "better yet".

Forum List

Back