besides adding massively to the national debt, what else did bush's tax cuts do?

I really don't see anything positive that came from it

Assured that wages would become stagnant, among other things. I find cons walk away from a thread whenever I post this analysis, based on 2008 IRS tables.

tax.com: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

I find liberals hate it when their pet theories and falsification of data is challenged.

According to the IRS gross tax collections went from $2.1 trillion in 2001 to $2.7 trillion in 2007. There was a slight drop in collections for the first 2 years after the tax cuts, and then it rose steadily. If people were actually earning less after taxes than they were before the tax cuts doesn't that actually prove that the government got more money?

The thing is, your source used AGI for his figures, and then argued that a lower AGI meant people were investing less money. It actually means just the opposite because AGI is the number you get after you take away investments and all the other things that the IRS allows you to deduct before you figure out how much you owe. The guy is supposedly a tax expert, he should know that. I hope you are not using him for your taxes, he is probably robbing you blind.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/histab18.xls

What part of "The total line shows the difference between actual results" don't you get from the analysis? We already know there were big investments and tax write-offs. That's the point! Where did those investments go? Certainly not in American interests.

People keeping more of what's yours to begin with isn't positive?

BTW, only spending money you don't have adds debt.

Let's say you make $50K a year and spend $60K a year. Sure cutting back on spending reduces your debt-no question.

But explain to me how making $55K a year, while still spending $60K doesn't.

Raising revenue also reduces debt (unless spending is also increased of course).

No. It. Does. Not.

Let me see if you can follow some simple math. You have been spending $60,000 dollars for ten years, and were only making $50,000 that entire time. Your debt is now $100,000 plus interest.

You get a raise, and are now making $55,000 a year. You still spend $60,000 dollars a year because your idiot brother in law told you that increasing revenue reduces debt. At the end of 10 years you owe an additional $50,000, the original $100,000, and compounded interest in the total. You raise did not decrease your debt in the slightest. The only way to decrease your debt is actually cut your spending to a level where you can put money toward paying it down.

By the way, if we want to actually make this about the government, they make $50,000 a year, spend $60,000 the first year, and increase spending every year by $5000 a year to get out of debt. At the end of 10 years they are $385,000 in debt, and are spending $60,000. They then try to hit you up for a raise to $55,000 a year, and promise you that they will spend even more money by increasing their spending at a rate of $10,000 a year because they get an additional $5,000.

How long will it take them to reduce the debt like that?

Your example left out the scenario what if the guy got a raise meaning more income (revenue)? Look, armchair experts, every economist ALIVE says that we need to cut spending AND increase revenue to get out of this quagmire. End of story.

Your example left out the scenario what if the guy got a raise meaning more income (revenue)? Look, armchair experts, every economist ALIVE says that we need to cut spending AND increase revenue to get out of this quagmire. End of story.

Wrong. Only quisling propagandists who call themselves economists say we need to increase taxes. Raising taxes has never done a thing to reduce the deficit. No matter how much revenue the government takes in, Congress and easily spend every dime and then 10 times more. Getting spending under control is the only thing that will eliminate the deficit.

The only people who support tax increases are all sucking on the government tit.

It made the world a better place for billionaires, didn't it?

EVery policy ccreates winners and losers.

The rich won, and the nation as a whole lost.

What? Middle class families made out very well in the tax cuts. They got increased EIC and kept more money. That assisted a lot of not wealthy people. As for taxing the highest earners, how much of that is passed down in inflation? Almost all of it is the answer. Review the Carter Administration policy and effect. Disproportionate taxation is our policy already, but the more burdens we place on those who can divert the expense the higher we inflate pricing and in net effect bury the lowest earners.

The naivety of liberals is amazing. They seem to think you can simply take the money from the wealthy and give it to the “poor” and it has no other effect on economics, like Robin Hood. Something has to be produced to create wealth. Money given and not earned creates nothing but debt. Taking money from people who have earned it, especially when they are the highest producers reduces capital for production and raises costs. Taxes are overhead and they can create inflation as an offset. Higher costs means fewer sales and a need for higher profit per sale or reduction of labor (that’s the middle class jobs FYI), or usually both.

Strong economy is based on expansion, production and innovation, none of which does taxation facilitate. Liberals actually seem to want a 2 class system based on providers and dependants. I can only assume they really believe they would be the providers despite producing nothing. Keep taking away incentive to produce and expand and industry will follow suit. Explain where jobs and money come from in that scenario..

I don't want the wealthy to just give it to the poor as charity. I want the wealthy to invest in America, in American jobs, use their tax windfalls for that ol' "trickle-down" effect which NEVER HAPPENED, and it still ISN'T HAPPENING.

You don't have to have taxes withheld even today if you don't want to. But I'd hate to see my tax bill in January to be paid in April if I didn't.

Yes you do. You can go to jail for not having enough withheld.

Me keeping what's mine "gives" me nothing.

It's fun watching the logical contortions liberals go through to justify taking what they haven't earned from the people who have earned it.

This is why people like are are despised. Who the fuck made you God to decide who is doing what? I worked my ass off for 40 years and paid my taxes with zero complaints that somebody might be "taking" what they didn't "earn." And now I'm sick to death of rich bastards who currently run this country abandoning the moral obligations to sustain THE COUNTRY, not just their fucking Swiss bank accounts and foreign investments.

Whose is it then?

When the Constitution opens with WE THE PEOPLE, it didn't add that it expected growth of a new country to be dependent on a new crop of money trees. I'd like to know when this I-GOT-MINE-SO-FUCK-YOU attitude became the norm.
"We the People" doesn't imply that what's mine belongs to you.

When did the "fuck you, gimmie your money" attitude become the norm?

When the baby boomers had it all, no sacrifices were necessary, and the attitude expanded with their offspring deciding "Us" and "Them" were going to become the guideposts.

Me keeping what's mine "gives" me nothing.

It's fun watching the logical contortions liberals go through to justify taking what they haven't earned from the people who have earned it.

This is why people like are are despised. Who the fuck made you God to decide who is doing what? I worked my ass off for 40 years and paid my taxes with zero complaints that somebody might be "taking" what they didn't "earn." And now I'm sick to death of rich bastards who currently run this country abandoning the moral obligations to sustain THE COUNTRY, not just their fucking Swiss bank accounts and foreign investments.
So, what you seem to be in favor of here is gubmint playing God-on-Earth.

That you don't object to being a part-time slave is nobody's problem but yours.

BTW, not everyone who objects to the notion that what I earn belongs to the hive first have Swiss bank accounts and foreign investments.

That's what Bush did twice when he cut taxes without cutting spending. He reduced the amount of revenue available for the spending he was also signing into law and directly brought back massive deficits.

That is patently false. Federal revenue increased after the Bush tax cuts, but the Republicans increased spending even more to offset the gain, which caused the debt.

Seriously, why is it so difficult for you people to look this stuff up?

Historical Federal Receipt and Outlay Summary

So find some charts that show WHERE it was spent. Pure numbers don't mean squat.

When the baby boomers had it all, no sacrifices were necessary, and the attitude expanded with their offspring deciding "Us" and "Them" were going to become the guideposts.
You seem to be doing a damned fine job of playing "us against them" here.

Why is looting your neighbor to pay for your "compassion" so important to you?...How about a little compassion for the people being shaken down to feather the nests of the moocher class, huh?

Yes, I know. All parasites despise anyone who states the simple truth about them.

Why are other people responsible for that fact that you're a sucker who trusted promises made by politicians? Those promises can only be kept by looting the money other people have earned.

I'm not obligated to prop up the Ponzi scheme you invested in.

Go fuck yourself.

Last edited:
Whose is it then?

When the Constitution opens with WE THE PEOPLE, it didn't add that it expected growth of a new country to be dependent on a new crop of money trees. I'd like to know when this I-GOT-MINE-SO-FUCK-YOU attitude became the norm.

If you want more money then get off your ass and work for it. You are not entitled to a damn penny of what I or anyone else has. I don't give a flying fuck if Warren Buffet has $40 billion. That $40 billion rightfully belongs to him and he can do whatever he wants with it. If he wants to bathe in $100 bills in a bath tub made of gold then that is his right and it's none of your fucking business. END OF STORY

You're jealous, plain and simple. You're entire outlook is based on your own seething jealousy that other people dare to have more than you do. Well tough shit, because that's life. Your idea that government thugs should take it away from them because you think they have more than they need is authoritarian and Stalinist. Compared to a homeless man on the street, you're living like a millionaire. Mind if we come over to your house and confiscate some of your property so we can put a homeless man in a home today? I'm guessing that would bother you just a bit.

Why would I be jealous? (Another attempted at distraction so often used by a con...) I have no personal dog in either fight because NOTHING that the government does from here on out will affect me one iota. And don't talk to me about homeless, you fucking bastard, not when I also volunteer for a homeless shelter for veterans and their lifeblood is almost all from private donations from people of all walks of life, even liberals. Imagine that.

In the first paragraph, you say everything is yours. In the second, you say you don't object to taxes. By the time you get to your third statement, it seems you want to pay taxes only on what benefits YOU, personally.

What I want is for the government to abide by the United States Constitutions and the framework laid out by the founders of this nation that the federal government should have a very minor and limited roll in our lives. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that. Most of the stuff the feds do should be handled by the states.

Well guess what, pal. I didn't like tax dollars amounting to billions every goddamned week going into that shithole called Iraq, either, but I had no choice.

Neither do it. What's your point?

Oh, and by the way, your federal income taxes haven't gone up since Clinton was president, so most of your gripes about taxes and the expense of governing should be directed to your state if you've seen dramatic rises.

Where did I say my taxes have gone up? I don't even know what you're talking about and I don't think you do either.

Then I have no idea what you're arguing about if you're not complaining about taxes and who benefits from them.

SERIOUSLY. WTF is wrong with the thinking of these liberals?

I can object to the confiscatory policies of the U.S Government in the collection to taxes without staking out the position that all taxation is immoral.

I derive benefits from living here in this Republic. I therefore grasp and appreciate the claim that I have an obligation to help support that same Republic. We do it via the income tax. I can object to the MANNER in which taxation is done, but again, as I said in a prior post, I realize it is likely here to stay. To that extent, I would encourage our representatives to get about the business of changing the way the income tax is calculated and collected. It is WAY past time to abandon the Tax Code in favor of something coherent. FLAT Tax or FAIR tax. But let's get it done.

But I don't object to the concept of taxation. I DO object to the claim of our government and some of our alleged "leaders" that we need to spend on much of the stuff we do spend on. And THAT is a much overdue and badly needed debate we all need to have.

You don't have to have taxes withheld even today if you don't want to. But I'd hate to see my tax bill in January to be paid in April if I didn't.

I don't believe that is true. This year, my income changed drastically and I had to pay quite a bit. I asked my accountant if I had to pay quarterly as I did in the past and he said no, that that is false.

I don't believe that is true. This year, my income changed drastically and I had to pay quite a bit. I asked my accountant if I had to pay quarterly as I did in the past and he said no, that that is false.

Two different concepts.

If you are getting paid by an EMPLOYER, the employer by law must withhold taxes. HIS or HER failure to do so may get him or her in trouble, but ultimately the payment of taxes is YOUR responsibility so you could be on the hook even if your employer is the one who fucked things up by refusing to include withholding calculations in your earnings.

If you are SELF-EMPLOYED, you do not have to file quarterly. But that only makes the one time hit in mid-April each year that much harder to take. Whether you pay quarterly or not, you ultimately do have to pay or face eventual payment with interest and penalties and a possible prison term.

And that's really the crux of this whole debate. People actually believe that "welfare" programs are to blame for the nation's economic woes (setting aside even the entitlement programs, which do take a large bite). Someone actually put together a detailed breakdown of where "welfare" funding actually goes, and it's a shockingly small percentage of the overall budget. Yet to listen to some of you clowns, anyone who doesn't toe the extremist right-wing philosophy of MINE, must be a moocher, a tic, a parasite.

90% of government spending is welfare. Liberals attempt to define welfare so narrowly that almost all payments to parasites are excluded.

Medicare is welfare. Social Security is welfare. Ethanol subsidies are welfare. It's all welfare.

:lol: Then I guess the VA is welfare too, eh?

Forum List

Back