Betsy DeVos Has Cut 600 Staff Positions in Dept of Education

“Every Man Able to Read”

Despite the caveats, we can generalize about patterns of literacy. In 1974, University of Montana scholar Kenneth Lockridge’s groundbreaking book, Literacy in Colonial New England, surveyed evidence from legal records and offered provisional conclusions—“The exercise is bound to be tentative, as it uses a biased sample and an ambiguous measure”—but he made the case that, among white New England men, about 60 percent of the population was literate between 1650 and 1670, a figure that rose to 85 percent between 1758 and 1762, and to 90 percent between 1787 and 1795. In cities such as Boston, the rate had come close to 100 percent by century’s end.

True by centuries end...back over 100 years ago.

Today? Not so much!

Boston Public Schools is a public school district located in Roxbury, MA. It has 53,393 students in grades PK, K-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 36% of students are at least proficient in math and 38% in reading.

Explore Boston Public Schools

Massachusetts public schools TODAY, which attempt to educate ALL school-aged children in contrast to 100 years ago and most other countries TODAY, are the best in the nation.
Yet, literacy rates were far higher 200 years ago when there were no government schools

No, not really.

If it's an accredited school, sure.

By whose standards would it be accredited? You do realize that states and the federal government have nothing to do with accreditation, right?

In TX the State does, they're getting ready to take over the Houston Public Schools because of poor performance and mismanagement.

I think if you research you will find out that is not true of most states. There are six regional school accreditation agencies. The federal government has nothing to do with accreditation either.

In TX it's done by the TEA (Texas Education Agency) for public schools, and by the Texas Private School Accreditation Commission for private schools. Both are State Agencies.

Accreditation Status | Texas Education Agency

I can see you did not read my post.

Why is it the people who bash public education can't seem to read?

Guess you didn't bother to read the post that followed.

The EXISTENCE of the Department of Education is unconstitutional. Patently.

Whittling away at its overpaid, underworked staff is a small, but good, thing.

Really? What part of the Constitution does the Education Department violate?

Do you have anything besides a bumper sticker slogan?

I think it can be scaled back as they are doing, but your argument is baseless.

I can show you the clauses of Article 1, Section 8 that enumerate powers that apply to the general welfare, education isn't in any of them.

Did you teach him chemistry, calculus, biology, etc? If not, that can be accomplished by a middle school dropout.
He was no longer my stepson at that point, but I easily could have. Home schoolers manage to teach all these subjects.

Home schoolers are self-designated, meaning they have zero qualifications. For every success you hear about, there are many more that have to return to public schools years behind their peers in education. I know because I had to teach high schools how to divide.
Nevertheless, home schooled kids outperform kids in public schools by a million miles. Your claim about them being years behind is pure moonshine. It's government school propaganda.

Research Facts on Homeschooling - National Home Education Research Institute
  • The home-educated typically score 15 to 30 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests. (The public school average is the 50th percentile; scores range from 1 to 99.) A 2015 study found Black homeschool students to be scoring 23 to 42 percentile points above Black public school students (Ray, 2015).
  • Homeschool students score above average on achievement tests regardless of their parents’ level of formal education or their family’s household income.
  • Whether homeschool parents were ever certified teachers is not related to their children’s academic achievement.
  • Degree of state control and regulation of homeschooling is not related to academic achievement.
  • Home-educated students typically score above average on the SAT and ACT tests that colleges consider for admissions.
  • Homeschool students are increasingly being actively recruited by colleges.

You know damn well that pollsters and liberals lie. You are using a source that makes its money off home schooling! Why should they tell the truth and cut their own throat?

The stats you cited can easily be disputed because home school students are almost NEVER required to take standardized tests so that a valid comparison can be made. I have posted this many times in the education topic. If you have a kid not going to college, would you force them to take the ACT? Of course not. That is called self-selection bias and is common to home schooling supporters as grains of sand on a beach.
Why should anyone listen to you since you made your money from government schools? Most home schooled kids go to college, and they do much better on the standardized test. Read the first point. It says "The home-educated typically score 15 to 30 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests." I believe homeschool kids are required to take the same standardized tests the public school students take.

How about it is because it is a bald-faced lie?

First, you cannot tell me how many home school students there are. Therefore you cannot say that "most go to college". That is a wild-assed assumption on your part.

Second, you cannot tell me how many of those students chose NOT to take the ACT/SAT, so how can you tell me that they typically score 15 to 30 percentile higher points above public schools students who were required to take the tests, while they were not. That is another wild-assed assumption on your part.

Third. you would be questionably wrong regarding the requirements for home school students to take the tests.

There are two wild-assed assumptions and one blatant false statements on your part. I taught and was a school administrator for 21 years. I think I know this topic better than you, simply because you apparently know nothing!

Got it. You just free stuff some one else has to pay for.
Huh?

I think it's you that wants free stuff that someone else has to pay for.
Not at all. I pay for schools. I am not the one running around whining and demanding others pay to send my kids to some elite private school. Pay for it yourself. Isn't that what you tell others about stuff like free contraception or medical care? Pay for it yourself.
You want me to pay for your schools. I don't want your government brainwashing mills. You demand that I send my kids to the cesspools that you want. When are you going to pay for it yourself?

Who do you think you're fooling?

Dude. I don't have kids. So I am paying for other people's kids - like yours. We owe everyone in this country an education (that benefits America as a whole). We are rare in that we do not charge extra for education - it comes out of our general taxes. That is a pretty good system. That doesn't mean you get an elite education or a special religious education - it means you get the basics and make the best of what you have and if it sucks - you try to get your kids into something alternate. But don't expect the rest of us to pay for you.
No, we don't owe everyone an education. That's the servile mentality that says we exist to serve other people's wants. People should get the education they want for their kids, not the education that the government and its toadies impose on them. If the voters approve something else, then they will get it.

Unfortunately for you, federal law and most state constitutions say otherwise.

I can show you the clauses of Article 1, Section 8 that enumerate powers that apply to the general welfare, education isn't in any of them.

Let's take it to the extreme. Where does the COTUS authorize the United States Air Force or Space Force?

Home schoolers are self-designated, meaning they have zero qualifications. For every success you hear about, there are many more that have to return to public schools years behind their peers in education. I know because I had to teach high schools how to divide.

You are really showing your ignorance and bias.

True, not everyone is qualified to home school their children. HOWEVER, not all parents want to do so either. There are also dozens of very high-quality homeschooling systems on-line. You're also ASSUMING that parents who wish to home school do not communicate with each other. They meet and work together. Who knew?

Those home schooling systems are free?

That petard you just hoisted yourself on, belongs to you!

I fully support home schooling if it is done properly. The problem is that I have seen disaster after disaster in my years of education that pale in comparison to the few successes I have seen. I just hate it when people lie to support their opinions.

My granddaughter was home schooled due to a speech problem that was eventually resolved and she returned to public school. She was traumatized by the other little bastards making fun of her to the point she could not learn.

My grandson had leukemia and is still continuing chemotherapy. We tried to find an inexpensive home schooling curriculum so he could be taught by his mother, my wife and myself, but the costs were ridiculous. Now, he will return to school and that Petri dish of infectious diseases that exist there wit a compromised immune system.

What is your point? Who said they were free?

You speak of "disasters" in homeschooling. We've all seen a massive disaster in our entire public school system.

The current system is broken in many, many districts. Why not try something else?

National Education Association General Counsel Bob Chanin stated in July 2009.

Chanin: "It is not because we care about children. And it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child. NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power. And we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing to pay us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues...."

Says it all does it not?

So where is this disaster that you claim to have seen? More stupid bumper sticker slogans?

The NEA is a TEACHER's UNION! It does not work for the betterment of students education any more than the UAW negotiates auto safety features. or the UMW negotiates the type of coal burned in power plants. That is not their job.

“Every Man Able to Read”

Despite the caveats, we can generalize about patterns of literacy. In 1974, University of Montana scholar Kenneth Lockridge’s groundbreaking book, Literacy in Colonial New England, surveyed evidence from legal records and offered provisional conclusions—“The exercise is bound to be tentative, as it uses a biased sample and an ambiguous measure”—but he made the case that, among white New England men, about 60 percent of the population was literate between 1650 and 1670, a figure that rose to 85 percent between 1758 and 1762, and to 90 percent between 1787 and 1795. In cities such as Boston, the rate had come close to 100 percent by century’s end.

Today? Not so much!

Boston Public Schools is a public school district located in Roxbury, MA. It has 53,393 students in grades PK, K-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 36% of students are at least proficient in math and 38% in reading.

Massachusetts public schools TODAY, which attempt to educate ALL school-aged children in contrast to 100 years ago and most other countries TODAY, are the best in the nation.
Yet, literacy rates were far higher 200 years ago when there were no government schools

Why do you continue to post this lie?

“Every Man Able to Read”

Today? Not so much!

Because he needs to believe it. He lacks the intelligence and integrity to put honesty first. He damn-sure lacks the understanding of logic to know why such a statement is insupportable.

Let's take it to the extreme. Where does the COTUS authorize the United States Air Force or Space Force?

Common defense, they are both just extensions of defensive/offensive tactics that were know at the time as knowledge grew. Just as blimps were used in the Civil, Spanish American and subsequent wars. There has never been a basis for federal involvement in education, even as knowledge has expanded.

Here's what the father of the Constitution said about the division of powers between the feds and the States. My B/U

The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government, are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State. -James Madison Federalist 45

Huh?

I think it's you that wants free stuff that someone else has to pay for.
Not at all. I pay for schools. I am not the one running around whining and demanding others pay to send my kids to some elite private school. Pay for it yourself. Isn't that what you tell others about stuff like free contraception or medical care? Pay for it yourself.
You want me to pay for your schools. I don't want your government brainwashing mills. You demand that I send my kids to the cesspools that you want. When are you going to pay for it yourself?

Dude. I don't have kids. So I am paying for other people's kids - like yours. We owe everyone in this country an education (that benefits America as a whole). We are rare in that we do not charge extra for education - it comes out of our general taxes. That is a pretty good system. That doesn't mean you get an elite education or a special religious education - it means you get the basics and make the best of what you have and if it sucks - you try to get your kids into something alternate. But don't expect the rest of us to pay for you.
No, we don't owe everyone an education. That's the servile mentality that says we exist to serve other people's wants. People should get the education they want for their kids, not the education that the government and its toadies impose on them. If the voters approve something else, then they will get it.

No they don't. Neither the federal government nor state constitutions claim education is a right.

“Every Man Able to Read”

Today? Not so much!

Because he needs to believe it. He lacks the intelligence and integrity to put honesty first. He damn-sure lacks the understanding of logic to know why such a statement is insupportable.
I posted the evidence, moron. What did you post other than insults?

“Every Man Able to Read”

Today? Not so much!

Because it's not a lie. I haven't been brainwashed with government school propaganda.

He was no longer my stepson at that point, but I easily could have. Home schoolers manage to teach all these subjects.

Nevertheless, home schooled kids outperform kids in public schools by a million miles. Your claim about them being years behind is pure moonshine. It's government school propaganda.

Research Facts on Homeschooling - National Home Education Research Institute
  • The home-educated typically score 15 to 30 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests. (The public school average is the 50th percentile; scores range from 1 to 99.) A 2015 study found Black homeschool students to be scoring 23 to 42 percentile points above Black public school students (Ray, 2015).
  • Homeschool students score above average on achievement tests regardless of their parents’ level of formal education or their family’s household income.
  • Whether homeschool parents were ever certified teachers is not related to their children’s academic achievement.
  • Degree of state control and regulation of homeschooling is not related to academic achievement.
  • Home-educated students typically score above average on the SAT and ACT tests that colleges consider for admissions.
  • Homeschool students are increasingly being actively recruited by colleges.

You know damn well that pollsters and liberals lie. You are using a source that makes its money off home schooling! Why should they tell the truth and cut their own throat?

The stats you cited can easily be disputed because home school students are almost NEVER required to take standardized tests so that a valid comparison can be made. I have posted this many times in the education topic. If you have a kid not going to college, would you force them to take the ACT? Of course not. That is called self-selection bias and is common to home schooling supporters as grains of sand on a beach.
Why should anyone listen to you since you made your money from government schools? Most home schooled kids go to college, and they do much better on the standardized test. Read the first point. It says "The home-educated typically score 15 to 30 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests." I believe homeschool kids are required to take the same standardized tests the public school students take.

How about it is because it is a bald-faced lie?

First, you cannot tell me how many home school students there are. Therefore you cannot say that "most go to college". That is a wild-assed assumption on your part.

Second, you cannot tell me how many of those students chose NOT to take the ACT/SAT, so how can you tell me that they typically score 15 to 30 percentile higher points above public schools students who were required to take the tests, while they were not. That is another wild-assed assumption on your part.

Third. you would be questionably wrong regarding the requirements for home school students to take the tests.

There are two wild-assed assumptions and one blatant false statements on your part. I taught and was a school administrator for 21 years. I think I know this topic better than you, simply because you apparently know nothing!
It's not a lie. The article says "standardized tests," not the ACT. I didn't post the evidence, but most do go to college. Furthermore, not all government school students take the ACT or SAT, so what does that prove?

All you've done is post ad hominems. You have posted no evidence to support any of your claims. None.

Talk about "wild-assed assumptions." Your brain is thoroughly pickled in statist propaganda.

It's obvious, as it is with all of your ilk, that you are threatened by the fact that rank amateurs can do a better job than you.

“Every Man Able to Read”

Today? Not so much!

No, not really.
Yes, really.

Common defense, they are both just extensions of defensive/offensive tactics that were know at the time as knowledge grew. Just as blimps were used in the Civil, Spanish American and subsequent wars. There has never been a basis for federal involvement in education, even as knowledge has expanded.

Here's what the father of the Constitution said about the division of powers between the feds and the States. My B/U

The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government, are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State. -James Madison Federalist 45

That is not what is in the COTUS, but you knew that and are attempting to deflect.

Try citing the COTUS.

NEVERMIND! You can't.

That is not what is in the COTUS, but you knew that and are attempting to deflect.

Try citing the COTUS.

NEVERMIND! You can't.
Please cite the COTUS where it says education is a right.

No they don't. Neither the federal government nor state constitutions claim education is a right.

How can you claim to be an expert on education when you get everything wrong. Yes, education is in most state constitutions. The basis of that was what caused Florida's voucher system to be ruled unconstitutional. I know. I was there when it happened.

Google Free And Appropriate Public Education (FAPE).

I did not do this for fun. I have a Master's degree in it.

You on the other hand are simply an arrogant dumbass on the topic probably born out of your own failures in education.

No surprise.........she's a charter school zealot who wants to destroy the public schools.
I view Charter schools as a viable alternative and competition for public schools.

Right! Charter schools would work so wonderfully when the entire residents of a county don't have enough kids to fill a public high school

What is it you like about charter schools that you cannot enact in your public schools?
That's the whole point. Charter schools CAN be done in all public schools. Guess who opposes that?

Forum List

Back