Betsy DeVos Has Cut 600 Staff Positions in Dept of Education

Dude. I don't have kids. So I am paying for other people's kids - like yours. We owe everyone in this country an education (that benefits America as a whole). We are rare in that we do not charge extra for education - it comes out of our general taxes. That is a pretty good system. That doesn't mean you get an elite education or a special religious education - it means you get the basics and make the best of what you have and if it sucks - you try to get your kids into something alternate. But don't expect the rest of us to pay for you.
No, we don't owe everyone an education. That's the servile mentality that says we exist to serve other people's wants. People should get the education they want for their kids, not the education that the government and its toadies impose on them. If the voters approve something else, then they will get it.

Unfortunately for you, federal law and most state constitutions say otherwise.
No they don't. Neither the federal government nor state constitutions claim education is a right.

How can you claim to be an expert on education when you get everything wrong. Yes, education is in most state constitutions. The basis of that was what caused Florida's voucher system to be ruled unconstitutional. I know. I was there when it happened.

Google Free And Appropriate Public Education (FAPE).

I did not do this for fun. I have a Master's degree in it.

You on the other hand are simply an arrogant dumbass on the topic probably born out of your own failures in education.
Nope, the FL constitution doesn't say education is a right. It just says the state shall provide one.

FAPE is a regulation. No bill was ever passed to amend the Constitution with a right to education, dumbass.

You are a pompous moron.

FAPE is a law, you incredible dipshit! Google works moron! How dare you call me a "dumbass" and a "pompous moron" when your facts are just plain wrong,. Either you didn't look it up and hoped no one would notice, or you tried bullshitting your way as you always seem to do when backed into a corner!

FAPE is part of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. It has been the basis for numerous high profile court cases in education. FAPE is the reason schools have to educate illegal aliens.

Now, STFU unless you educate yourself and actually want to contribute something to the discussion other than your pathetic ignorance. You are simply pissed because everything you put up in the air goes down in flames after I destroy it.

I guess you would argue your diagnosis with your doctor if they told you had a massive void in your head where most people have a brain, despite looking at an x-ray proving you did't have one.

No surprise.........she's a charter school zealot who wants to destroy the public schools.
I view Charter schools as a viable alternative and competition for public schools.

Right! Charter schools would work so wonderfully when the entire residents of a county don't have enough kids to fill a public high school

What is it you like about charter schools that you cannot enact in your public schools?
That's the whole point. Charter schools CAN be done in all public schools. Guess who opposes that?

What do you believe makes charter schools better? Is it the corruption, malfeasance or failure to educate students as promised?
Charter schools are still government schools. I don't know if they are better than regular government schools, but I believe they have to attract students or they will close. That's one thing that would make them better.

Charter schools ARE public schools! The only reason they close is running out of money, which is YOUR tax dollars.

They is a sucker born every minute and most people running charter schools are probably like you, and think it is so easy! Nothing could be further from the truth.

Did we not educate kids prior to 1980? That’s when the DOE got started.

Yes, we educated SOME kids prior to 1980. After 1980, we started educating all kids. Poor, minority and disabled kids were simply not educated before the federal government got involved in providing Title I funds and monitoring special education programs.

I think back to my education in the late 60s and 70s and recall that I never saw a kid in a wheelchair in a public school until I started teaching in 2005. For our first 3 years, I attended school from noon to 6 pm because schools were overcrowded. I graduated from high school 2 years before the Education Department existed. There was no such thing as a learning disability, mental handicap, and ADD/ADHD, etc.

I view Charter schools as a viable alternative and competition for public schools.

Right! Charter schools would work so wonderfully when the entire residents of a county don't have enough kids to fill a public high school

What is it you like about charter schools that you cannot enact in your public schools?
That's the whole point. Charter schools CAN be done in all public schools. Guess who opposes that?

What do you believe makes charter schools better? Is it the corruption, malfeasance or failure to educate students as promised?
Charter schools are still government schools. I don't know if they are better than regular government schools, but I believe they have to attract students or they will close. That's one thing that would make them better.

Charter schools ARE public schools! The only reason they close is running out of money, which is YOUR tax dollars.

They is a sucker born every minute and most people running charter schools are probably like you, and think it is so easy! Nothing could be further from the truth.
Look, I am not about running down the public school system. I know teachers like you bust your ass and do your best. But parents like me look for alternatives when we see our kids being forced to go over mind numbing simple lessons again and again and again because a few students just don't get it. And if you read my last post I am agreeing with you. Charter schools are not a magic bullet. They are a mixed bag but there are good ones that provide an accelerated challenging curriculum and a good learning environment. There area also some bad ones that end up closing, and rightly so.

Yes, we educated SOME kids prior to 1980. After 1980, we started educating all kids. Poor, minority and disabled kids were simply not educated before the federal government got involved in providing Title I funds and monitoring special education programs.

I think back to my education in the late 60s and 70s and recall that I never saw a kid in a wheelchair in a public school until I started teaching in 2005. For our first 3 years, I attended school from noon to 6 pm because schools were overcrowded. I graduated from high school 2 years before the Education Department existed. There was no such thing as a learning disability, mental handicap, and ADD/ADHD, etc.
Some kids? You are full of shit.

I had a cousin born with a heart condition about 2 years after me. He never attended school, because the schools would not take responsibility for the special needs he had. It was too much "trouble". He died in his 20s.

Now, tell me again how I am full of shit!

Why do you public school bashers go into a battle of wits unarmed?

I had a cousin born with a heart condition about 2 years after me. He never attended school, because the schools would not take responsibility for the special needs he had. It was too much "trouble". He died in his 20s.

I never claimed schools are equipped like a hospital to handle every medical condition, did I? They shouldn’t be.

We got along fine before the DOE was formed in 1980.

I never claimed schools are equipped like a hospital to handle every medical condition, did I? They shouldn’t be.

Are you THAT stupid? I just gave you a concrete example of how schools did NOT educate my cousin because of his special needs. You are either illiterate or intentionally playing stupid. Which is it?

I would go with intentionally playing stupid because you would be hard pressed to use the other excuse.

Yep, and almost 3 trillion dollars later, all we have to show for it is lower test scores and higher drop out rates.

So you decided to join the liars parade? Lower test scores? How? Where? On what measure?

Drop out rates have nothing to do with the education being provided. That being said, the rate has decreased since 1990 by about 3%. The dropout rate is now about 7%.

My state recently enacted mandatory attendance laws until age 18 versus 16. That gives the drug dealers and juvenile delinquents two more years to sit in class and disrupt the education process.

When I was an assistant principal, I would call parents and tell them to come get their kids and withdraw them from school if they were aged 16 and not progressing towards graduation. We didn't have time for babysitting. Now, thanks to conservatards who do not understand education, that are elected to state legislatures, you can't do that without expelling him and that looks bad if it is a minority kid, and hurts the statistics, so it doesn't happen!

Are you THAT stupid? I just gave you a concrete example of how schools did NOT educate my cousin because of his special needs. You are either illiterate or intentionally playing stupid. Which is it?

I would go with intentionally playing stupid because you would be hard pressed to use the other excuse.
I addressed your lie that only “some kids” were educated prior to 1980.

Your anecdote about your cousin doesn’t help your case. Public schools today can’t handle all kids with issues, so your argument fails miserably.

Yep, and almost 3 trillion dollars later, all we have to show for it is lower test scores and higher drop out rates.

So you decided to join the liars parade? Lower test scores? How? Where? On what measure?

Drop out rates have nothing to do with the education being provided. That being said, the rate has decreased since 1990 by about 3%. The dropout rate is now about 7%.

My state recently enacted mandatory attendance laws until age 18 versus 16. That gives the drug dealers and juvenile delinquents two more years to sit in class and disrupt the education process.

When I was an assistant principal, I would call parents and tell them to come get their kids and withdraw them from school if they were aged 16 and not progressing towards graduation. We didn't have time for babysitting. Now, thanks to conservatards who do not understand education, that are elected to state legislatures, you can't do that without expelling him and that looks bad if it is a minority kid, and hurts the statistics, so it doesn't happen!
So, you threw kids out of school who were a challenge?

You just destroyed your own position, Fuckwit.

Your anecdote about your cousin doesn’t help your case. Public schools today can’t handle all kids with issues, so your argument fails miserably.

So you are doubling down on stupid since I proved you wrong?

I had a student who contracted a viral infection at about the age of 3, which ravaged his motor control of his muscles. He had use of his right shoulder and neck muscles to turn his head. This young man was one of the smartest students I ever had. His speech was guttural at most, but he learned to say my name and since his computer would often fail, I would be able to communicate with him where other teachers could not. He used a computer and voice synthesizer to communicate and the computer was controlled by a a laser detecting his head movements with a reflective disk on the middle of his forehead which in turn moved the mouse on his computer screen. He had a "mouse button" he could press with his fist which he also used to steer his motorized wheel chair.

Had this happened in the 1960s or 70s, when I attended school, he would probably have never survived much less ever been given the opportunity to attend school. He was in my American Government class and wrote some of the best papers I have ever seen from a high school, student, with all of those handicaps. I taught him for a year and then became his assistant principal for the next two years. I watched that young man graduate with honors.

Today we educate ALL students. Why do you think we did when I attended school?

I had a student who contracted a viral infection at about the age of 3, which ravaged his motor control of his muscles. He had use of his right shoulder and neck muscles to turn his head. This young man was one of the smartest students I ever had. His speech was guttural at most, but he learned to say my name and since his computer would often fail, I would be able to communicate with him where other teachers could not. He used a computer and voice synthesizer to communicate and the computer was controlled by a a laser detecting his head movements with a reflective disk on the middle of his forehead which in turn moved the mouse on his computer screen. He had a "mouse button" he could press with his fist which he also used to steer his motorized wheel chair.

Had this happened in the 1960s or 70s, when I attended school, he would probably have never survived much less ever been given the opportunity to attend school. He was in my American Government class and wrote some of the best papers I have ever seen from a high school, student, with all of those handicaps. I taught him for a year and then became his assistant principal for the next two years. I watched that young man graduate with honors.

You are lying again. Public schools can’t handle all students.

They were not a challenge. They attended school only when they had drug deals to make, skipped class almost constantly, and never passed a single class. I was an assistant principal in the largest high school in northeast Florida at the time, and personally supervised 650 students.

Once again, you run your mouth about things you know nothing about and lie when it suits your purposes.

You are lying again. Public schools can’t handle all students.

Public schools do handle all students. Why would say something so asinine?

They were not a challenge. They attended school only when they had drug deals to make, skipped class almost constantly, and never passed a single class. I was an assistant principal in the largest high school in northeast Florida at the time, and personally supervised 650 students.

Once again, you run your mouth about things you know nothing about and lie when it suits your purposes.
You bailed on those children.

Disgusting.

Forum List

Back