Bill Maher defends Ann Coulter in Berkeley free-speech fight

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Is Maher becoming a Libertarian? I admit I don't watch him much but I used to catch him now and again. The first Amendment is cherished in America because it doesn't exist anywhere else in it's simplicity and broadness.

Liberal political comedian host Bill Maher said the University of California, Berkeley is the "the cradle for f—king babies" after the university caved to pressure and disinvited — and later re-invited — conservative commentator Ann Coulter as a speaker.

"Berkeley, you know, used to be the cradle of free speech," Maher said Friday on his HBO show "Real Time" during an exchange with conservative commentator S.E. Cupp. "And now it's just the cradle for f—king babies," he added.

Is Maher becoming a Libertarian? I admit I don't watch him much but I used to catch him now and again. The first Amendment is cherished in America because it doesn't exist anywhere else in it's simplicity and broadness.

Liberal political comedian host Bill Maher said the University of California, Berkeley is the "the cradle for f—king babies" after the university caved to pressure and disinvited — and later re-invited — conservative commentator Ann Coulter as a speaker.

"Berkeley, you know, used to be the cradle of free speech," Maher said Friday on his HBO show "Real Time" during an exchange with conservative commentator S.E. Cupp. "And now it's just the cradle for f—king babies," he added.
Of course Maher defended her.

He's a traditional, honest liberal. Freedom of Expression, let's hear it.

Unlike the authoritarian mutants masquerading as liberals today.

See that's how I view some conservatives today, especially in Canada. Human Rights, Rule of Law and basic dignity and protections are tossed out the window by the Right in particular in Canada. There's no real libertarian representation in Canada, because as a nation it's viewed as a security threat: "Small government, accountability, individual rights!?! Track down and monitor these tyrants!" They believe somehow they represent anything other than that which fascists would support.

well said.

including the part about Howard Dean and hate speech.

Berkeley should be ashamed of itself for not being able to control its own public events and for letting it reach such a high publicity level that no matter when she speaks it's going to be a riot, for sure. Now there will be anti-protest protesters there along with the protesters against Ann and let's not forget the ANTIFA thugs who security is apparently powerless to keep off campus. Plus every news organization in the nation and some from overseas, just for shits and giggles.
I swear this is absurd.

Berkeley should be ashamed of itself for not being able to control its own public events and for letting it reach such a high publicity level that no matter when she speaks it's going to be a riot, for sure. Now there will be anti-protest protesters there along with the protesters against Ann and let's not forget the ANTIFA thugs who security is apparently powerless to keep off campus. Plus every news organization in the nation and some from overseas, just for shits and giggles.
I swear this is absurd.
Bravo.

The ironic thing is that all the lefty kids could have just found something else to do that night - maybe, uh, study - and let Coulter do her little talk.

But no, they have to go drama queen, and this happens.

I don't understand this stuff.

What does anybody expect from a state university system that would hire violent racist killers like Angela Davis as professors with a straight face?

Berkeley should be ashamed of itself for not being able to control its own public events and for letting it reach such a high publicity level that no matter when she speaks it's going to be a riot, for sure. Now there will be anti-protest protesters there along with the protesters against Ann and let's not forget the ANTIFA thugs who security is apparently powerless to keep off campus.

They aren't powerless, the uni Prez is one of the vermin and orders campus police to keep hands off . The criminal activity is sanctioned by the university administration itself.

You must not be paying attention. Coulter is a regular on Maher's show, as are any number of voices from any corners he can find. That's what Liberalism is about: free expression, open discourse.

Except it's not "them calling themselves" Liberals. It's those unwashed third-party wags who don't know (or care) the definitions of their own terms. Nobody owns a label just because some wackadoo tries to slap one on them. That isn't the third party's determination to make.

Last edited:
That's what Liberalism is about: free expression, open discourse.
Yes, and that's why there is such a clear distinction between traditional liberals and the intolerant, authoritarian Regressive Left narcissists who have polluted the Democratic Party.

Now we're shifting to...... political parties?

Uh, all righty then..... that was a bit abrupt.

You must not be paying attention. Coulter is a regular on Maher's show, as are any number of voices from any corners he can find. That's what Liberalism is about: free expression, open discourse.

Well thanks for your usual pile of horse shit.

Today's Liberalism is about trashing America and America's rights and values.

He is simply adding common sense to his repertoire these days. He has been without it for so long, things that make sense to others have become like starlit epiphanies to him.
A lack of free speech is having a detrimental effect on his occupation. Snowflakes have shut down comedians from colleges campuses because of the school's and their minon's biases. Maher finally gets that he could be next. He's growing up and embracing reality, instead of ideology.

Last edited:
NYT on masked, armed leftists disrupting conservative speech: Berkeley has "become a target for small, militant and shadowy right-wing groups"

He is simply adding common sense to his repertoire these days. He has been without it for so long, things that make sense to others have become like starlit epiphanies to him.
A lack of free speech is having a detrimental effect on his occupation. Snowflakes have shut down comedians from colleges campuses because of their biases. Maher finally gets that he could be next. He's growing up and embracing reality, instead of ideology.

Again, Ann Coulter is one of his favorite recurring guests. They've been doing that for literally years.
And before this, Maher was fired by ABC for engaging in the same thing --- free speech. Dinesh d'Souza was the guest in that case IIRC. And that was like sixteen years ago.

So again --- another clueless wag not paying attention. I don't even have a TV and I know this much.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back