🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Zone1 Black MAGAs are a clear and present danger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not possible or good for our country.

Cap%20vs%20Soc-M.png
It's not possible in any country. People will always have different outcomes, even if by some act of God, all of us were given identical skills and abilities.

What I meant was that I don't hold any ill will towards Jamaican-Americans for example, who come from a country with a shockingly low IQ. I wish they could be equal, but they cannot be under current conditions. If we don't avoid the whole topic of IQ, we could take steps to close that gap such that their great-granchildren might be equal to mine.

m ,,
Absolutely. Pump all the money we do into public schools and they still fail in areas with a lot of poverty. I believe that is because of where the kids are going home to after school.

As an educator, I believe that we wait way to long to test children. We would never build a race car and not turn it on until the Indy 500 when the announcer says "Ladies and Gentlement, start your engines." We would test on a practice track to see if it will be able to perform among all the other cars. Yet, we sit a child down in first grade to learn to read and "see how they do."

Right. That's why I said that low IQ does not equal "less intelligent." It also doesn't equal "bad worker." Most jobs do not require strong fluid reasoning ability. Most jobs are simply to follow a set procedure. Attendance, punctuality, honesty, and work ethic are much more important for those jobs.

That's one study. A meta-study, means that they looked at data from several studies to find a pattern. That kind of study makes it very easy to cherry pick the data. All of the experimental studies have shown IQ testing to be robust, valid, and reliable, which have specific meaning in experimental psychology.

I give credit to the psychological community for not reversing themselves on the validity of IQ in spite of all the pressure. To do so would mean a complete abandonment of their field as an experimental science.

Yes. I believe that it is environmental and cultural. By "cultural," I don't mean a bunch of stereotypical people listening to rap music that "rots their brain," while looking for the next baby mamma. I mean the availability of books in the home, compared to video games, parents educational level, emphasis on education, peer pressure to not "act white," etc.

Yes, absolutely. What is needed are studies to look at each variable that is different in a typical black home compared to a typical white home. Or, since there is a high correlation between poverty and IQ, a typical poor home versus a typical middle class home.

For example, suppose valid surveys show that black families tend to allow their kids to watch television or play video games before going to bed, while white families tend to read stories to their children at bed time. Take say sixty families that are television watchers and divide them randomly into two groups. Ask one group to continue with the television/games and the other to read stories or have stories read by audio to their children. In one year measure the average IQ of each group.

My guess is that you would see an increase in the IQ's of the read-to group. If not, try something else, like nutritional changes.

Do you have a link to that, or was it in your link? I'd like to see it.

As an American, I want us all to be equal. If I won the powerball, I'd use the money to fund research into closing that gap.
It was in my towards the end. :)

For most of the tests we mentioned, black scores stopped rising in the mid-1980s. On the NAEP, the B/W gap actually increased from 1986 to 1990 but for one test group (the math test for 17 year olds). On the SAT, black scores on both verbal and math parts were nearly flat for the five years ending in 1993, after substantial gains in the preceding decade. On the ACT, however, black scores continued to rise after 1986, albeit it modestly.

- Charles Murray and Richard Herrnstein, from The Bell Curve, Chapter 13, "Ethnic Differences in Cognitive Ability," page 294
None of which "proves" it's attributable to "race". In 2022, the highest scores were Asian. Second highest was not whites but mixed race. In addition, test scores also show that the parent's education level has a big effect on a childs test results. There are a lot of factors you compleyely ignore in your need to show that one race is inferior to anorger. That is not science.

None of which "proves" it's attributable to "race". In 2022, the highest scores were Asian. Second highest was not whites but mixed race. In addition, test scores also show that the parent's education level has a big effect on a childs test results. There are a lot of factors you compleyely ignore in your need to show that one race is inferior to anorger. That is not science.
Race does not cause high IQ scores. Race correlates with average IQ scores. Evolving in a cold climate selects genetically for intelligence and light skin. Civilization also selects genetically for intelligence.

Yes, it is PROVEN. Studies, surveys, etc, etc, etc, go back decades, and generations. Pretending it does not exist only hurts you and prevents you from moving forward.

Instead of incessantly whining, work toward real solutions!

A parent‘s educational level is reflective of motivation and intelligence - both heritable traits. It makes sense that college graduates on average are smarter and more driven than high school grads, ESPECIALLY if the degree is in engineering or science, and that their offspring are more likely to have these traits as well.

Race does not cause high IQ scores. Race correlates with average IQ scores. Evolving in a cold climate selects genetically for intelligence and light skin. Civilization also selects genetically for intelligence.
You are failing your own argument here.

By your reasoning the highest levels of intelligence should be seen amongst peoples of the far north and high altitudes while Egypt, Greece and Rome, with mild Mediterranean climate should never have risen to the level they did.

Civilization doesn't select for anything but a great many factors go into selecting FOR "civilization" such as geography, geology, availability of resources allowing a transition from nomadic hunter gatherer to agrarian (which opens up more time for other activities).

Your argument is nothing more than standard racist rhetoric preyending to be science.

You are failing your own argument here.

By your reasoning the highest levels of intelligence should be seen amongst peoples of the far north and high altitudes while Egypt, Greece and Rome, with mild Mediterranean climate should never have risen to the level they did.

Civilization doesn't select for anything but a great many factors go into selecting FOR "civilization" such as geography, geology, availability of resources allowing a transition from nomadic hunter gatherer to agrarian (which opens up more time for other activities).

Your argument is nothing more than standard racist rhetoric preyending to be science.
Actually, there is a tendency - with exceptions of course - for countries near the equator to average low IQs and countries further away to average higher IQs.

A parent‘s educational level is reflective of motivation and intelligence - both heritable traits. It makes sense that college graduates on average are smarter and more driven than high school grads, ESPECIALLY if the degree is in engineering or science, and that their offspring are more likely to have these traits as well.
I would disagree. For one, I've never heard of "motivation" being an inherited quality.

What makes it harder for first gen students is not a matter of intelligence or motivation of either themselves or their parents, it can be the lack of a sufficient support structure. Educational level is not just a matter of motivation and intelligence, but of opportunity and even luck. Maybe it is connecting with the right mentor who motivates you to trying in the midst of failure and adversity. Maybe it is the unexpected scholarship...who knows.

What has been found true is that children of college educated parents are more likely to then go to college. That means a first gen student's children will be more likely to go to college and it has nothing to do with the intelligence of that student's parents. It could well be those parents were working too hard just supporting their families so their children could have the life the parents didn't have and could go to college.

Having college educated parents offers support in that they understand and value academics. They can more easily help and encourage their child because they are more likely to have the resources to do so.

I can think of several examples.

One first gen student struggled a lot, while his mother really supported him, she was a highschool drop out and couldn't offer much academic help. The male side of his family were skeptical to scornful and thought it a waste of money because he could stay home and get a high paying in the coal mines, which was true. So for him, it was a heavy lift. His grades weren't the greatest but he made it.

Another first gen student I know is a young woman from Bangladesh, who is working on her PhD. Her mother is a "house wife" and her father is a businessman, neither college educated. Both she and her brother are in the US pursuing a graduate degree. She is the first woman in her family to get a college degree, much less a PhD. Her parents are very supportive and she feels an enourmous pressure to succeed and "not let people down". She wants to be a role model for her susters and other women in her culture to pursue more than just marriage out of highschool.

I would disagree. For one, I've never heard of "motivation" being an inherited quality.

What makes it harder for first gen students is not a matter of intelligence or motivation of either themselves or their parents, it can be the lack of a sufficient support structure. Educational level is not just a matter of motivation and intelligence, but of opportunity and even luck. Maybe it is connecting with the right mentor who motivates you to trying in the midst of failure and adversity. Maybe it is the unexpected scholarship...who knows.

What has been found true is that children of college educated parents are more likely to then go to college. That means a first gen student's children will be more likely to go to college and it has nothing to do with the intelligence of that student's parents. It could well be those parents were working too hard just supporting their families so their children could have the life the parents didn't have and could go to college.

Having college educated parents offers support in that they understand and value academics. They can more easily help and encourage their child because they are more likely to have the resources to do so.

One first gen student struggled a lot, while his mother really supported him, she was a highschool drop out and couldn't offer much academic help. The male side of his family were skeptical to scornful and thought it a waste of money because he could stay home and get a high paying in the coal mines, which was true. So for him, it was a heavy lift. His grades weren't the greatest but he made it.

Another first gen student I know is a young woman from Bangladesh, who is working on her PhD. Her mother is a "house wife" and her father is a businessman, neither college educated. Both she and her brother are in the US pursuing a graduate degree. She is the first woman in her family to get a college degree, much less a PhD. Her parents are very supportive and she feels an enourmous pressure to succeed and "not let people down". She wants to be a role model for her susters and other women in her culture to pursue more than just marriage out of highschool.
First, motivation is indeed a heritable trait. I was surprised to learn that, but it’s quite high on the list of inherited personality traits.

Second, you are discounting the fact that college-educated professionals tend to be more intelligent than average, and intelligence also is a heritable trait.

I will agree that children of college graduates also have the advantage of growing up in a culture where higher education is valued, and that is why there are first-gen programs to help first in their generation to attend college.

As far as your examples….meaningless. With 9 million college students, there are always some individual stories of exceptions.

Actually, there is a tendency - with exceptions of course - for countries near the equator to average low IQs and countries further away to average higher IQs.

That is an interesting read. What it seems to be saying though is that IQ is difficult to accurately measure due to many variables including the tests themselves that effect the ability to measure it.

For example;

Social scientists point to many cultural and environmental factors that contribute to the low scores for IQ in these nations. If there is no reliable food and water, education falls to a lower place on the priority list.

Many of these countries that land at the bottom are also consistently in periods of war, disease, or other trauma. This type of environment over a prolonged period of time reduces a nation’s ability to innovate and thrive.

The article points out the shortcomings of relying on those numbers to make any meaningful conclusions on national IQ's.

That is an interesting read. What it seems to be saying though is that IQ is difficult to accurately measure due to many variables including the tests themselves that effect the ability to measure it.

For example;

Social scientists point to many cultural and environmental factors that contribute to the low scores for IQ in these nations. If there is no reliable food and water, education falls to a lower place on the priority list.

Many of these countries that land at the bottom are also consistently in periods of war, disease, or other trauma. This type of environment over a prolonged period of time reduces a nation’s ability to innovate and thrive.

Chicken and the egg thing. Could a nation’s inability to innovate and thrive be due to the low average IQ within it? Compare the Dominican Republic and Haiti. The former is much more developed than Haiti, with the former average IQ in the 90s and the latter in the 60s. When the average IQ of a nation is in the 60s, it turns out like Haiti.

First, motivation is indeed a heritable trait. I was surprised to learn that, but it’s quite high on the list of inherited personality traits.

Do you have a source for that?

Second, you are discounting the fact that college-educated professionals tend to be more intelligent than average, and intelligence also is a heritable trait.

I'm not discounting that, what I am saying is you can't just assume that those who are not college educated are less intelligent or less motivated. Their motivation may drive them into other activities and pursuing a high degree can also be influenced by luck and opportunity.

I will agree that children of college graduates also have the advantage of growing up in a culture where higher education is valued, and that is why there are first-gen programs to help first in their generation to attend college.

As far as your examples….meaningless. With 9 million college students, there are always some individual stories of exceptions.
They are just examples (like you use when you talk about your family history).

yada%20yada-Th.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back