Boy, 3, shoots self, parents charged.

You miss the point.
if we treat guns like F350s, as you suggest, you will not need a license to buy, own, possess, store, etc a gun.
Not sure how you do not understand that.
I've seen you make this case a couple of times in the thread, and I'm not sure how you come up with it.
At least here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts one most definitely requires a driver's license to purchase, own, and operate a motor vehicle [on private property].
You suire about that? Bet you're wrong. Show me the relevant legislation.
Tell me: If you lose your license or do not renew it, do you have to sell your car?

I'd love to see you walk into the RMV here and tell the teller that you're registering your vehicle without a valid driver's license.
You need to shoiw proof if ID, which can be filled by a state ID. I bet ther's nothing on MA law thst states you must have a valid DL to register a car or transfer a title to you.

Besides... you oly need to register a car to drive it on the street; if you keep it in your garage and only use it on private properrty, I bet MA law does not require registration.

You'd likely get a visit from the very nice MSP troopers who are stationed at most of the RMV locations to have a conversation about how you got to the office.
Um... walked? Dropped off by a firend? Took the bus? :dunno:

The point is that you do not need a DL unless you want to operate a car/truck on public property; if you want to treat guns like cars, then you only want to license people to use their guns on public property.

You suire about that? Bet you're wrong. Show me the relevant legislation. Tell me: If you lose your license or do not renew it, do you have to sell your car?

If you lose your license you lose the registration on all vehicles you own. That means unless you intend to use it as a paperweight or drive it on whatever private property you own, the vehicle is worthless; but you will still get an excise tax bill for it.

You need to shoiw proof if ID, which can be filled by a state ID. I bet ther's nothing on MA law thst states you must have a valid DL to register a car or transfer a title to you.

I am fairly certain that every time I've done it in both this state and Connecticut (where I grew up), I was required to provide proof of a driver's license. You must also produce proof of insurance to register a vehicle in both states.

Besides... you oly need to register a car to drive it on the street; if you keep it in your garage and only use it on private properrty, I bet MA law does not require registration.

True. As I noted above, that's a pretty damn expensive paperweight, and for those who live in areas where there is little to no private property (and many are required to park on the public streets) it's a very concerning issue.

Um... walked? Dropped off by a firend? Took the bus? :dunno:

So long as you've got proof of that, you're fine. I guarantee they're gonna watch as you walk out to see how you leave the property.

The point is that you do not need a DL unless you want to operate a car/truck on public property; if you want to treat guns like cars, then you only want to license people to use their guns on public property.

Considering that provavly 99% of time every vehicle I've ever owned is/was on public property, that's pretty much a requirement.

I'm a long-time gun owner. I shoot competitive and carry for personal defense. I do believe that we should have a licensing system for firearms owners. I don't believe it should be the one we have, but I am in favor of doing as much as humanly possible to ensure that criminals, the mentally ill, and children do not acquire firearms they're not supposed to have.

You suire about that? Bet you're wrong. Show me the relevant legislation. Tell me: If you lose your license or do not renew it, do you have to sell your car?
If you lose your license you lose the registration on all vehicles you own....
And so, you CAN own a car and you CAN use it on private property w/o a license.
Thank you.

I am fairly certain that every time I've done it in both this state and Connecticut (where I grew up), I was required to provide proof of a driver's license.
Fairly certain, eh?
Or do you just assume that's the case because no one almost ever uses anythng else?

You must also produce proof of insurance to register a vehicle in both states.
Registration is not the same as ownership. We've already determined that you can own a vehicle w/o registration or a DL and that you are free to own, keep and store an unregistered vehicle as well as use it in private property.

And so, do you now understand my point regarding treating guns like cars?

I'm a long-time gun owner. I shoot competitive and carry for personal defense. I do believe that we should have a licensing system for firearms owners.
Not sure how or why aonyone should have to demonstrate competence to the state before exercising any right. Pretty sure this violates the constitution.

I don't believe it should be the one we have, but I am in favor of doing as much as humanly possible to ensure that criminals, the mentally ill, and children do not acquire firearms they're not supposed to have.
Licensing will not prevent these people from getting guns, just as background checks do not.

You can own the car. However you cannot use it for pretty much any practical purpose, therefore there is no point in owning it.

Registration is not the same as ownership. We've already determined that you can own a vehicle w/o registration or a DL and that you are free to own, keep and store an unregistered vehicle as well as use it in private property.

Yes, if you have the means to do so. The vast majority of people, myself included, do not have the means or desire to do so.

And so, do you now understand my point regarding treating guns like cars?

Not at all. Then again I'm not the biggest believer in Freedom either, so that may be part of the problem.

Not sure how or why aonyone should have to demonstrate competence to the state before exercising any right. Pretty sure this violates the constitution.

Not competence, suitability. I don't believe in Rights. I believe in Privileges, handed out to those who have proven their suitability for such things.

Licensing will not prevent these people from getting guns, just as background checks do not.

True. What a license does is to show that you have a level of suitability for gun ownership. It also shows that you meet the basic criteria.... age, citizenship, lack of criminal or mental history, etc... to be a gun owner. It's also a means for those who interact with you relative to firearms to certify those things.

You can own the car. However you cannot use it for pretty much any practical purpose, therefore there is no point in owning it.
All that matters is that you can own it.
Oh, and keep it in your house. And use it on private property.
All without a license, or registration.

And so, if you want to apply the licensing/registration requirements that we have for cars to guns, as postulated in the post you responded to, you can do all those things with a gun w/o a license or registration as well.

Not sure how do you can not get the point, not understand the argument, or not agree with the conclusion. :dunno:

Not competence, suitability. I don't believe in Rights. I believe in Privileges...
Ah. Well, we have a right to keep and bear arms, regardless of your belief otherwise.

Last edited:
Not sure how do you can not get the point, not understand the argument, or not agree with the conclusion. :dunno:

I don't believe in Freedom or Rights the same way that most Americans do. I believe that these are things which should be earned, not simply given away. Considering that disgusting and disastrous state of the American public these days, I see fewer and fewer people who deserve to be allowed to express these "Rights" and "Freedoms" every day.

Ah. Well, we have a right to keep and bear arms, regardless of your belief otherwise.

Yes. The vast majority of people in this country also maintain a right to vote, to speak and assemble, and to not incriminate themselves in a criminal proceeding (among others) which they do not deserve.

Not sure how do you can not get the point, not understand the argument, or not agree with the conclusion. :dunno:[/quoteI don't believe in Freedom or Rights the same way that most Americans do. I believe that these are things which should be earned, not simply given away. Considering that disgusting and disastrous state of the American public these days, I see fewer and fewer people who deserve to be allowed to express these "Rights" and "Freedoms" every day.

Yes. The vast majority of people in this country also maintain a right to vote, to speak and assemble, and to not incriminate themselves in a criminal proceeding (among others) which they do not deserve.
Okie Dokie.

You do now understand my statement re: drivers license and gun license, right?

Instructing the child :lol::lol: it's obvious you have no kids!

Not yet. However, I was one, some years back and my brother now has five kids ranging in age from 2 months to almost 6 years old. I would suggest that it's obvious you don't know how to set expectations for your children and/or are unwilling to undertake the methods necessary to ensure they are met.

How much, "Time Out" would be appropriate for the 3 year old to stand in the corner for manslaughter?

I don't believe in "time outs" and never have. A good stiff hand or belt is SO MUCH more efficient in achieving results nowadays, even as it was when I was a child.

Anyone who hits a child in any way, shape, or form at any time, for any reason, EVER under any circumstances should be publicly tortured to death. A painful enough method has never been conceived, though skinning alive with a rusty spoon might be close.

You miss the point.
if we treat guns like F350s, as you suggest, you will not need a license to buy, own, possess, store, etc a gun.
Not sure how you do not understand that.

I've seen you make this case a couple of times in the thread, and I'm not sure how you come up with it.

At least here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts one most definitely requires a driver's license to purchase, own, and operate a motor vehicle.

Actually, Massachusetts allowed registration with no license until last year. (It's called an "x registration".)

Forum List

Back