Boy was I wrong!!! WH tours cost $74,000 a week..equal to Obama to Martha Vineyard!

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
ABC News tried all day yesterday to get an answer out of the White House and Secret Service about how much money will be saved by canceling White House tours. Now we have an answer: $74,000 per week, according to Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan.
Here’s how they do the math:
The Secret Service says it takes an average of 37 officers to secure the tours. Each officer’s total pay (including benefits) averages $50 an hour. And, although the tours only are only open for 20 ½ hours per week, Donovan says the officers are on the clock for 40 hours. So – 37 officers at $50 an hour for 40 hours a week adds up to $74,000.
Secret Service: Canceling WH Tours Saves $74K a Week - ABC News

I was really off! I was really wrong!

So Obama's 2 hr trip to FL and 2 hrs back cost $727,000 or enough to keep WH tours complete with Secret Service for 10 weeks!

Boy was I wrong!!!

Notice the difference between people like me and almost ALL the Obama supporters???

We admit when we are wrong!
I was way off from what the SS gets ... figured at $30/hour but they get $50/hour as tour guards!

Who cares? President Obama is keeping us safe and taking care of business. Dubya spent a third of his presidency on vacation. President Obama is on duty.

ABC News tried all day yesterday to get an answer out of the White House and Secret Service about how much money will be saved by canceling White House tours. Now we have an answer: $74,000 per week, according to Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan.
The Secret Service says it takes an average of 37 officers to secure the tours. Each officer’s total pay (including benefits) averages $50 an hour. And, although the tours only are only open for 20 ½ hours per week, Donovan says the officers are on the clock for 40 hours. So – 37 officers at $50 an hour for 40 hours a week adds up to $74,000.

So Obama's 2 hr trip to FL and 2 hrs back cost $727,000 or enough to keep WH tours complete with Secret Service for 10 weeks!

Boy was I wrong!!!

You don't have much of a Life, do you? :eusa_eh:

Boy was I wrong!!!

You don't have much of a Life, do you? :eusa_eh:

he has done well for a 12 yr old.

Who cares? President Obama is keeping us safe and taking care of business. Dubya spent a third of his presidency on vacation. President Obama is on duty.

Did Bush go to Spain? To Hawaii. To FL? Martha's vineyard? He went to his home!
The costs of Bush's working from Crawford TX was FAR FAR less then putting up hundreds of people in hotels in FL,Hawaii, MA..!
The Secret Service had permanent housing at Bush's Crawford home!
Saved money which Obama has NO concept!
If you have $1,000 I'll bet you that between Bush and Obama, the costs of Bush's "vacations" in 8 years are equal to what Obama has spent so far in 4 years!
Want to put your money where your mouth is???

The president interrupted his vacation for SIX days to negotiate the “fiscal cliff” in Washington. All told, he will have spent roughly FORTY hours on Air Force One flying between D.C. and Hawaii.
AT A COST of $7 million for AIR FORCE ONE
Obama?s Vacation by the Numbers - ABC News

Some claim the cost of Bush’s frequent trips to Crawford, Texas cost taxpayers upwards of $20 million, but the numbers are hard to confirm.
Obama's Vacations? Of Any President, Bush Racked Up the Most | Politic365
So using that figure of $20 million over 8 years is $2,500,000 per year..

AGAIN Obama flew 40 hours from DC to Hawaii last christmas At $181,000 per hour that is $7,270,000 just ONE TRIP!!

SO my bet looks GOOD!
Bush went almost all the time on vacations to Crawford!

Boy was I wrong!!!

People apply in advance for tours. They likely do background checks of one kind or another. Badges have to be issued. The people undoubtedly have to meet at one location in order to be bussed to the WH since the WH is certainly not going to let individual cars into the grounds. Even after all the checks, the tour group must submit to sweeps, pat downs etc. Then they must be monitored at all times. That costs a lot of money to do.

oh, there are plenty of attractive ladies out there who will do the white house tours for free, you place an ad for volunteers to be a white house intern, odds are u will get over 50,000 responses.

Boy was I wrong!!!

People apply in advance for tours. They likely do background checks of one kind or another. Badges have to be issued. The people undoubtedly have to meet at one location in order to be bussed to the WH since the WH is certainly not going to let individual cars into the grounds. Even after all the checks, the tour group must submit to sweeps, pat downs etc. Then they must be monitored at all times. That costs a lot of money to do.

So what's that got to do with Obama spending $181,000 an hour everytime he wants go on a junket??

the pansy libs want babies to call their congressman and cry over the dilemma that their white house tour was cancelled so that our president can take 7 more vacations this year.

George W. Bush's vacation time (grand total)

487 days at Camp David
490 days at Crawford Ranch
43 days at Kennebunkport Compound

Total: 1020 days, more than 1/3rd of his presidency. Bush set the record for most vacation time taken by president.

Carter took 79 days in 4 years.
Clinton took 152 days in 8 years.

Reagan took 335 days in 8 years.
Bush Sr. took 543 days in 4 years!

So much for the mythological Republican hard worth ethic.

George W. Bush's vacation time (grand total)

The Out-of-Towner: While Bush vacationed, 9/11 warnings went unheard

Boy was I wrong!!!

So what's that got to do with Obama spending $181,000 an hour everytime he wants go on a junket??

We only have one president. He's the president of ALL the people, even the people who didn't vote for him and oppose him. It's appropriate that he go out to different areas of the country to see us and for us to see him.

Unfortunately, in our modern dangerous world, AF1 is the safest way to go. It's also the fastest.

Now, I wish the old early 20th century days of taking trains and whistle stops could come back, but it's not going to happen.

That leaves the issue of the kind of plane the president uses. As I recall, the American president used to fly on a 707 until Reagan approved upgrading to a 747 (which was undoubtedly recommended), and Bush 41 was the first president to use it. Frankly, I don't have a problem with downgrading AF1 to a 707 (or a similarly smaller plane) for domestic flights and just leave the 747 for international flights.

and who can't wait for Sparky to get asked about another million dollar vacation to Martha's Vinyard at a future white house press conference. jay will have to explain the costs of the vacation vs the cost to keeping those "Intern Tour Guides".

why can't Bambi just call up Soros and ask him to donate whatever funds are needed to keep the white house tours in tact?

We only have one president. He's the president of ALL the people, even the people who didn't vote for him and oppose him. It's appropriate that he go out to different areas of the country to see us and for us to see him.

Unfortunately, in our modern dangerous world, AF1 is the safest way to go. It's also the fastest.

Now, I wish the old early 20th century days of taking trains and whistle stops could come back, but it's not going to happen.

That leaves the issue of the kind of plane the president uses. As I recall, the American president used to fly on a 707 until Reagan approved upgrading to a 747 (which was undoubtedly recommended), and Bush 41 was the first president to use it. Frankly, I don't have a problem with downgrading AF1 to a 707 (or a similarly smaller plane) for domestic flights and just leave the 747 for international flights.

But just for the sake of OPTICS... why would Obama fly to Florida to play golf KNOWING little kids won't get to tour WH and the $700,000 spent flying to and back could have provide 10 weeks of tours!
So out of touch!

I really get sick of stupid threads like this one. Of course presidents and their families take vacations, and of course taxpayers pay for this. It's part of the cost to protect the president and his/her family members. This is nothing new, it's the same for all presidents, past, present, and future. You turds just can't stand it if you don't have anything legitimate to bitch about so you bitch about stupid shit like this.

I really get sick of stupid threads like this one. Of course presidents and their families take vacations, and of course taxpayers pay for this. It's part of the cost to protect the president and his/her family members. This is nothing new, it's the same for all presidents, past, present, and future. You turds just can't stand it if you don't have anything legitimate to bitch about so you bitch about stupid shit like this.

NO what I can't stand is the comparisons between Bush and Obama!
Bush spent most of the quote "vacation" time at his HOME in Crawford,TX
Didn't need to fly around the country staying at expensive hotels, screwing up people's schedules with 20 car caravans as Obama FREQUENTLY does!

Bush flew to Tx to work at HOME! Crawford was his home.

Idiots like you don't you sometimes work from HOME and is that considered a VACATION?
Of course not. You are working from HOME!

But Obama last Christmas spent $ 7 million in 40 hours flight time on AF1 between DC and Hawaii...WHY???
Couldn't he spend it at his HOME in Chicago???

Bush spent an average of $2.5 million a year over 8 years... Obama has spent alone in Hawaii vacation equal to 3 years of Bush!

Forum List

Back