Breaking News: First U.S. Ebola Patient Dies

Here we go again. The article originally said 'dies'. Seen by several here. They realized they were wrong and changed it.
I don't care for Steve's posts, most all of the time, but in this instance the article did say dies.

Texas Ebola Patient Gets Chimerix Drug Clinical Trials Planned Xconomy

Chimerix’s (NASDAQ: CMRX) lead antiviral drug candidate, which has already shown efficacy treating infections in transplant patients, is being called upon as an emergency Ebola treatment even as the company ramps up to test the drug in humans.

The Durham, NC company said today its drug brincidofovir has been made available for treating Ebola, in response to requests from doctors treating Ebola patients. This afternoon, Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas confirmed via its Twitter feed that Chimerix’s drug is being used to treat critically ill Ebola patient Thomas Duncan. The hospital says he was first administered the drug on Saturday.

Seems he was still alive when this was written. And since it was written after the OP, seems there was a lie posted.

From what I am reading, the drug he is receiving works like tamiflu-, it is hoped it might lessen his symptoms, yet has never been tested with ebola.
His family frrom North Carolina has been called to Tx, and a family member described his condition as going from critical to worse. He is on a ventilator as well.

I wonder how many infected terrorists are sitting in motel rooms across the country waiting to become contagious right now? Then they'll be lining up for as many food buffets in food courts across the country as they can.
pee and vomit and saliva casually smeared on escalators and elevators. On shopping cart handles. You name the places.
They entered the country showing no signs, no fever.
By the time Professor BOBO has worked out what his best move politically there could be tens of thousands of people infected and not know it.
This is a result of electing the first affirmative action President.

I wonder how many infected terrorists are sitting in motel rooms across the country waiting to become contagious right now? Then they'll be lining up for as many food buffets in food courts across the country as they can.
pee and vomit and saliva casually smeared on escalators and elevators. On shopping cart handles. You name the places.
By the time Professor BOBO has worked out what his best move politically there could be tens of thousands of people infected and not know it.
Once again you should leave politics out of this. The Buffoon Dubya wouldn't have handled this any better than Obama...if you recall Hurricane Katrina. And I do.

But this scenario, sadly, isn't as farfetched as many might think. With epidemics you have to plan for the absolute worst scenario and then hope for the best one as you remain solidly prepared for the worst.

We had a Republican president for 8 years ... a Republican Senate for 4.5 of those years out of 10.5 years and a Republican House for 6 of those years out of a 12 year run ........

....... remind me again when the right sealed the borders....?

you silly partisans are comical.

so your premise is that misconduct in the past is a valid excuse for willful misconduct today..

yeah, right....that's a great political strategy...:laugh2:

But ok..let's forget the past... tell me why you don't want the border closed now? and try to avoid "but they did it too" if you can..that's not a good reason.
No, my point is you are in no position to pin this on the left when the right did the same thing.

So?..close the border, then. Your party has the power to do it immediately. What's the problem?

Like I said;misconduct in the past is not a valid excuse for willful misconduct today..

Why do you want the border undefended?
Why do you want illegals who haven't been screened for communicable diseases to be able to easily infiltrate our country?
Why do you want to allow drug and human smugglers access to our country through our undefended borders?
Explain the benefits of an open border and why it's good for america.
Because while you might keep a handful of people with Ebola out of the U.S., you're also going to destroy the U.S., economy which is dependent upon foreign travel. It's beyond stupid (which is why the right is pushing for this) to absolutely destroy the U.S. by destroying the economy due to panicking over an infectious disease which has had little impact here and which already has measures in place to help prevent it from spreading.

unfounded speculation...

I'll ask again;

Why do you want illegals who haven't been screened for communicable diseases to be able to easily infiltrate our country?
Why do you want to allow drug and human smugglers access to our country through our undefended borders?
It's not unfounded speculation. Our economy is not in a bubble where it can survive complete isolationism. If we shut our borders down, there are no more imports or exports. Overnight, gas goes to what, $15, $20 a gallon? And that's only for the folks lucky enough to get gas since rationing would be massive. Prices skyrocket without imports and people can't afford any because they can't work without gas to get to their job. Your idea of shutting down the borders is so fucking retarded, it hurls us into a depression that makes the Great Depression look like Clinton's Golden Days. All because you're terrified of a disease in which only one person, out of the millions who fly into the U.S. managed to sneak into the country with Ebola. Sorry, but no one is going to buy your burn the barn down to save a chicken idiocy by closing off the borders. :cuckoo:

Have you considered killing yourself before these imaginary terrorists do?

so your premise is that misconduct in the past is a valid excuse for willful misconduct today..

But ok..let's forget the past... tell me why you don't want the border closed now? and try to avoid "but they did it too" if you can..that's not a good reason.
No, my point is you are in no position to pin this on the left when the right did the same thing.

So?..close the border, then. Your party has the power to do it immediately. What's the problem?

Like I said;misconduct in the past is not a valid excuse for willful misconduct today..

Because while you might keep a handful of people with Ebola out of the U.S., you're also going to destroy the U.S., economy which is dependent upon foreign travel. It's beyond stupid (which is why the right is pushing for this) to absolutely destroy the U.S. by destroying the economy due to panicking over an infectious disease which has had little impact here and which already has measures in place to help prevent it from spreading.

unfounded speculation...

I'll ask again;

It's not unfounded speculation. Our economy is not in a bubble where it can survive complete isolationism. If we shut our borders down, there are no more imports or exports. Overnight, gas goes to what, $15, $20 a gallon? And that's only for the folks lucky enough to get gas since rationing would be massive. Prices skyrocket without imports and people can't afford any because they can't work without gas to get to their job. Your idea of shutting down the borders is so fucking retarded, it hurls us into a depression that makes the Great Depression look like Clinton's Golden Days. All because you're terrified of a disease in which only one person, out of the millions who fly into the U.S. managed to sneak into the country with Ebola. Sorry, but no one is going to buy your burn the barn down to save a chicken idiocy by closing off the borders. :cuckoo:

pure speculation and fantasy...closing the border to illegals has nothing to do with stopping trade or imports...I understand you need to exaggerate and use hyperbole to try to support your fantasy premise...but really...settle down...

Hey..can you answer the few questions I asked you now?

Let me post them again in case you accidentally overlooked them.

Explain the benefits of an open border and why it's good for america

You are taking it so literally. Noone wants to see that. What those asking for closing the borders aare talking aboutmis making it harder for illegals to get in and those from the countries running rampant with ebola to not just be let in nilly-willy. There are methods to screen passports, you know; hold off issuing visas from those areas, etc., until it is under control there. This would not have a negative impact on our economy. In fact it would keep more tax $'s available for the needs of the citizens, rather than having to isolate people, etc.

unfounded speculation...

I'll ask again;

You are taking it so literally. Noone wants to see that. What those asking for closing the borders aare talking aboutmis making it harder for illegals to get in and those from the countries running rampant with ebola to not just be let in nilly-willy. There are methods to screen passports, you know; hold off issuing visas from those areas, etc. This would not have a negative impact on our economy. In fact it would keep more tax $'s available for the needs of the citizens, rather than having to isolate people, etc.

unfounded speculation...

I'll ask again;

good luck..I doubt you'll have any success using common sense with this one...the indoctrination and partisanship is too strong

unfounded speculation...

I'll ask again;

pure speculation and fantasy...closing the border to illegals has nothing to do with stopping trade or imports...I understand you need to exaggerate and use hyperbole to try to support your fantasy premise...but really...settle down...

Hey..can you answer the few questions I asked you now?

Let me post them again in case you accidentally overlooked them.

Explain the benefits of an open border and why it's good for america
We're talking in terms of ebola. Drug smugglers have nothing to do with that. Illegal aliens have nothing to do with that.

My point is that it may not be up to us if we make ourselves an ebola hot spot and other countries start denying our planes airport access...

My point is that it may not be up to us if we make ourselves an ebola hot spot and other countries start denying our planes airport access...
There are a number of other infectious diseases which we've managed to contain through the effective use of screening and quaranteening. I have not seen where ebola will be different in that regard.

have you considered leading by example ? or are you just full of :bsflag:

have you considered leading by example ? or are you just full of :bsflag:
Why would I do that? I'm not the one shitting in my pants in fear.

His son went to the hospital and said he got to see him through a video screen. He was only 3 when he last saw, his mother fleeing with him from civil war in Africa-
Son of Dallas Ebola victim visits hospital prays father pulls through - NY Daily News
Dallas Ebola patient on ventilator receiving kidney dialysis Fox News
He arrived at the hospital with relatives from North Carolina and they caught glimpses of their disease-stricken loved one via a camera system.

"What we saw was very painful. It didn't look good," said Josephus Weeks, Duncan's nephew. He added that had trouble falling asleep after seeing his face.
he is also now on dialysis as well as the ventilator.

His son went to the hospital and said he got to see him through a video screen. He was only 3 when he last saw, his mother fleeing with him from civil war in Africa-
Son of Dallas Ebola victim visits hospital prays father pulls through - NY Daily News
Dallas Ebola patient on ventilator receiving kidney dialysis Fox News
He arrived at the hospital with relatives from North Carolina and they caught glimpses of their disease-stricken loved one via a camera system.

"What we saw was very painful. It didn't look good," said Josephus Weeks, Duncan's nephew. He added that had trouble falling asleep after seeing his face.
he is also now on dialysis as well as the ventilator.
The guy is good as dead.

Forum List

Back