California Pizza Places Laying Off ALL Delivery Drivers Due To New Law

State legislators everywhere, but especially in California, demonstrate over and over again that they have no concept of what it's like to either (a) have a Real Job, or (b) run a business.

The minimum wage itself - regardless of where it is set - is an economic abomination, as even Leftist luminaries like Dr. Paul Krugman have written (before he was compromised). Wages must be set according to market conditions in order to benefit consumers, workers, and the businesses that hire them.

Any time the price of ANYTHING is set too high (by the Sovereign) for market conditions, the same three things occur: (1) the consumers of that commodity use less of it, (2) the consumers of that commodity seek alternate ways of meeting the demand, and (3) a "black market" will be formed to provide the needed service or product at a market price.

In this case, the cost of food delivery to customers is being set far above its economic value. The consumers of those transport services (i.e., pizza shops) will use fewer (or no) delivery people, they will seek alternate ways of delivering the food (DoorDash?), and a black market of under-the-table delivery drivers will come into existence. They will be paid in cash with no record of it.

How this works, exactly, with delivery drivers now is off my radar screen. Would the $$20/hr INCLUDE the tips - which often cannot be verified by the employer - with a supplement by the employer, or would they be exclusive of tips, making it a pretty good-paying gig.

Regardless, people will demand that SOMEBODY deliver their pizza, and they are willing to pay for that delivery, one way or another. However, paying the carriers $20.00/hr plus even the most basic benefits results in delivery costs that make Pizza non feasible.

If they are doing it so will many other places.

Either that or raise the cost of the pizza to be astronomical.

Typical Liberal fuck up.

The government needs to stay out of the business of dictating wages. That should be between the employees and employer.
We've had a government controlled minimum wage since 1938.

If labor costs increase, costs will be cut elsewhere and/ or prices will increase.

The math is not that hard.

Corporations are not just going to take the loss to their margin and lose money for their investors.

”We missed our target because of increased labor costs. We did nothing to offset this increase. Thanks, bye.”

THAT IS NOT HAPPENING.

Way to go California! What a shithole state. Expect tax revenues to fall even further and prices to increase further, just what hard working Californians need.

when liberals make other liberals lives harder and more miserable, i am all in and for it 100 puuurcent

No, they aren't all going to simply disappear, but the lowered demand will undoubtedly thin them out, resulting in less employment opportunities.
Mulling this over in my head, maybe it presents an opportunity for the true "Mom and Pop" operations at the expense of the large franchises. A family owned, operated and manned business would be able to circumvent these cockamamie regs----maybe.

Sure it is. You can get a crappy McDonalds/Wendys/Whataburger meal ect. For the same price or more than a better quality burger from Red Robin,Chedders or Oneils.

Or even get a Shrimp and Steak/Chicken Holiday meal at Applebee’s for around the same price as a Big Mac meal.

Fast food is not supposed to cost a small fortune.
Applebee's, Red Robin and some place called 0neil are better than Wendy or McDonald's?

Lol. Not in my world.

when liberals make other liberals lives harder and more miserable, i am all in and for it 100 puuurcent
The thing is, they are too stupid to see it. Take Chicago for one example. They threw their mayor Lori Lightfoot out on her ass for destroying the city and then voters turned right around and voted in someone more progressive than she was. Now the city is doing even worse. But, I totally agree with you. Seeing their misery due to their very own policies brings a joy that you can't get anywhere else.

Forum List

Back