California

arjt27

Rookie
Sep 20, 2017
I've heard a lot of things recently with the earthquakes in Mexico that California should be extremely concerned. I absolutely believe that Californians should be scared that another huge earthquake is imminent , but I am no scientist so I'd hate to make that assumption. So does anyone that has a familiarity with earthquakes have reason to confirm or deny my beliefs?
http://quainator.com/Fpq

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Last edited:
when you live in California you hear about the "big" one coming every year.....if it happens it happens,nothing you can do but ride it out and try not to panic.....

when you live in California you hear about the "big" one coming every year.....if it happens it happens,nothing you can do but ride it out and try not to panic.....

That's basically what I'm thinking, but I never experienced one so I guess I don't have much room to talk haha.

That's basically what I'm thinking, but I never experienced one so I guess I don't have much room to talk haha.

its an adrenalin rush thats for sure.....

I've heard a lot of things recently with the earthquakes in Mexico that California should be extremely concerned. I absolutely believe that Californians should be scared that another huge earthquake is imminent , but I am no scientist so I'd hate to make that assumption. So does anyone that has a familiarity with earthquakes have reason to confirm or deny my beliefs?

There is no direct connection between the earthquakes in Mexico and those in California so sleep well but know earthquakes in California are inevitable.

I'm kinda thinking that unless you have been in an earthquake you haven't the slightest clue. But then again I'd like to see us work out a way to better predict earthquakes, similar to how we predict hurricanes; And that would take a huge effort.

I'd like to see us work out a way to better predict earthquakes, similar to how we predict hurricanes; And that would take a huge effort.

You may get your wish. We can't predict earthquakes but we know how to trigger them. We can inject water into faults and lubricate them so instead of large quakes we get lots of little ones. Not hard at all for faults like those in California.

I'd like to see us work out a way to better predict earthquakes, similar to how we predict hurricanes; And that would take a huge effort.

You may get your wish. We can't predict earthquakes but we know how to trigger them. We can inject water into faults and lubricate them so instead of large quakes we get lots of little ones. Not hard at all for faults like those in California.
thats pretty risky.....Cal Tech told us this a few years back about that.....this is from the USGS......

FICTION: You can prevent large earthquakes by making lots of small ones, or by “lubricating” the fault with water.

Seismologists have observed that for every magnitude 6 earthquake there are about 10 of magnitude 5, 100 of magnitude 4, 1,000 of magnitude 3, and so forth as the events get smaller and smaller. This sounds like a lot of small earthquakes, but there are never enough small ones to eliminate the occasional large event. It would take 32 magnitude 5's, 1000 magnitude 4's, OR 32,000 magnitude 3's to equal the energy of one magnitude 6 event. So, even though we always record many more small events than large ones, there are far too few to eliminate the need for the occasional large earthquake.

As for “lubricating” faults with water or some other substance, if anything, this would have the opposite effect. Injecting high-pressure fluids deep into the ground is known to be able to trigger earthquakes—to cause them to occur sooner than would have been the case without the injection. This would be a dangerous pursuit in any populated area, as one might trigger a damaging earthquake.

My family is well aware we live in Earthquake country. We have supplies to last several weeks; bottled water, sports drinks, canned food, dry goods, flashlights and battery's, and camping supplies. We also have EQ Insurance and first aid supplies.

I experienced several large quakes, 1957, 1989 and dozens of minor ones.

thats pretty risky.....Cal Tech told us this a few years back about that.....this is from the USGS......

FICTION: You can prevent large earthquakes by making lots of small ones, or by “lubricating” the fault with water.

Seismologists have observed that for every magnitude 6 earthquake there are about 10 of magnitude 5, 100 of magnitude 4, 1,000 of magnitude 3, and so forth as the events get smaller and smaller. This sounds like a lot of small earthquakes, but there are never enough small ones to eliminate the occasional large event. It would take 32 magnitude 5's, 1000 magnitude 4's, OR 32,000 magnitude 3's to equal the energy of one magnitude 6 event. So, even though we always record many more small events than large ones, there are far too few to eliminate the need for the occasional large earthquake.

As for “lubricating” faults with water or some other substance, if anything, this would have the opposite effect. Injecting high-pressure fluids deep into the ground is known to be able to trigger earthquakes—to cause them to occur sooner than would have been the case without the injection. This would be a dangerous pursuit in any populated area, as one might trigger a damaging earthquake.
As for risk, you assume that when you move to a fault zone. I think it would be fine to begin injecting water after a big quake. This would prevent the fault from locking and building up pressure but not incur the danger of a big quake since the pressure has already been released.

My family is well aware we live in Earthquake country. We have supplies to last several weeks; bottled water, sports drinks, canned food, dry goods, flashlights and battery's, and camping supplies. We also have EQ Insurance and first aid supplies.

the Landers one in 92 was my biggest...7.3 i believe it was....that was a white knuckler.....

the Landers one in 92 was my biggest...7.3 i believe it was....that was a white knuckler.....

How close were you to the epicenter? In '57 I was in elementary school and we were about a mile from the epicenter, and that quake was 5.7 It was a jolt, not a roll and shook real hard - we were taking a spelling test at the time.

In '89 I was in my 3/4 Dodge Van and had parked in the back of a hotel near the Concord General Aviation Airport. I was listening to the pre-game getting ready to get out and watch the world series (Giants v. A's) with people from work when it struck. The radio went to all static and my van shook real good, and within maybe 20 seconds the door to the hotel opened and out streamed the guests.

As I got out of the van I saw the waves from the quake 60+ miles away undulate across the tarmac and the light poles sway as if in the wind.

The San Andreas is constantly on the move. It locks up from time to time and that is what causes the earthquakes. The one area that I see major potential for a soon to happen quake is the San Francisco region. The 1906 quake was north of SF. The Loma Prieta was south of SF, which leaves a huge bullseye right on SF proper. Figure within the next twenty years they are going to get a big one.

Southern Cal hasn't seen a big quake in the Tejon Pass region for over a 150 years, and with a 120 year average for a quake they too are primed. That could potentially see a magnitude 8 quake obliterate everything in the Grapevine region. The quakes in Mexico are not any cause for concern for CA however. They are on a completely different fault system. CA has its own issues that they should be preparing for.

We were researching this process decades ago at Caltech. The odds are that the bazillions of little quakes would reduce the pressure thus reducing the power of any big quake that did occur. The problem is if you trigger one, and it is bigger than expected, you will get the hell sued out of you so no one is willing to try it.

My wife and I were up in Shoshone. It was rockin!

I was painting a friend's house when a rolling quake went down the block. You want to see something weird, watch a wave travel through the Earth in front of your eyes. You can actually see a wave, like an ocean wave, travel under the yards and concrete and head away from you. Freaky deaky.

The Earth and it's tectonics is far beyond human intervention so just accept it. Nothing wrong with having a week's worth of water, food, and batteries but the only way to ensure you aren't trapped under a building or worse is to sleep in a tent out in the open countryside. Relax.

The Earth and it's tectonics is far beyond human intervention so just accept it. Nothing wrong with having a week's worth of water, food, and batteries but the only way to ensure you aren't trapped under a building or worse is to sleep in a tent out in the open countryside. Relax.
That may work for you but I want my family protected so if there is something that can be done we should do it. We certainly need to know what the options are.

That may work for you but I want my family protected so if there is something that can be done we should do it. We certainly need to know what the options are.

Single story would frame home bolted onto the mud sill and on solid rock is the best and safest way to keep the family safe in EQ Country. Also, a flat lot with no landslide risk from above.

SF and the entire Bay Area and the State are EQ conscious and have retrofitted most building, built High Rise building on rollers well below ground level with sprinklers since fire has been a second hit when a big one strikes.

The 06 quake was a big one, but my grandfather (who was 12 at the time) always referred to that time a "the fire". He and his two older brother's walked from their home on Dupont St. (Now named Grant Ave) in North Beach through China Town to Market St. Later he and his family took the ferry to Oakland as the fire began to threaten their home.

Forum List

Back