Call me stupid but why do people buy these three things when a big snow storm is coming?

Snowstorms up here you can lose power in a heart beat. How are you going to cook your french toast unless you have a wood stove?
I'd fire up the generator. It will power the whole house.

We have wood and kerosene heaters but we've been talking about investing in a generator as well. Middle of nowhere. I don't think you can have enough survival equipment. See my tale of Tennessee :)

Already have a food supply for six months so we could help out neighbors if need be. Every one has snowmobiles so everyone checks on each other.

Snowstorms up here you can lose power in a heart beat. How are you going to cook your french toast unless you have a wood stove?

We have wood and kerosene heaters but we've been talking about investing in a generator as well. Middle of nowhere. I don't think you can have enough survival equipment. See my tale of Tennessee :)

Already have a food supply for six months so we could help out neighbors if need be. Every one has snowmobiles so everyone checks on each other.

Have you considered being closer to the equator?

Many times. :) Love the south.

I'm constantly amused by people who buy gasoline-fired generators.

They almost universally do one of two things:

* Fail to lay in a stock of fuel, counting on driving to a gas station in time of need - not at all thinking that one through.
* Lay in a big stock of fuel, making no effort to stabilize it so that when it's needed it'll be useless. And, of course, they store it in ways that put their homes at risk of explosion and/or fire.

They're fun to watch.

Because eggs and bread and milk are versatile and you can make a lot of different things with them. They are also key ingredients in many recipes. Not to mention breakfast!!! What's better than a nice big breakfast of bacon, eggs, toast and orange juice during a snowstorm? Nothing that's what.

Why does it seem like people only buy that shit during a hyped up snow storm?

There are snow storms that AREN'T hyped up?

Sure, but nobody sknows about them.

Oh, man... That's...that was terrible. Wait! Moonglow ?
Evidently it's a typo, as we all know, this guy was the live model for a frown emoji ...

Many times. :) Love the south.
It's really more of the center...

I'm constantly amused by people who buy gasoline-fired generators.

They almost universally do one of two things:

* Fail to lay in a stock of fuel, counting on driving to a gas station in time of need - not at all thinking that one through.
* Lay in a big stock of fuel, making no effort to stabilize it so that when it's needed it'll be useless. And, of course, they store it in ways that put their homes at risk of explosion and/or fire.

They're fun to watch.
or it's not properly ventilated to an external source...most people think they can directly hook up a generator straight to a house or appliances, not knowing about spike regulation...

Snowstorm you can lose power in a heart beat. How are you going to cook your french toast unless you have a wood stove?

I lost power last year and I used my grill - not for French toast but for other things. You could probably cook French toast on it too though, just put a pan on the grill.

My problem here is at minus 20C the propane tank won't fire up so we have wood as back up. :) We learned our lesson for not being fully prepared when we lived in Tennessee and made it thru the legendary 94 ice storm.

Truly unreal. Full larder check. Grill check. No kerosene heater ruh roh. And worst yet 2 large dogs not a problem but two cats and this wonderful little parrot red belly conure.

So as the storms rolling in and the power goes out we hit the road and tried to head up to Franklin to a motel that would take us in with our little Noah's ark of beasties. .

White knuckle drive trees down everywhere. It was unreal. And it turned out alright but boy oh boy lesson learned.

Be a Girl Scout and be prepared. :) Some areas were without power for weeks on end. It was something else.

My mom has a wood stove so if it got to that point, I would just go stay with her.

BREAD

EGGS

MILK

I still don't believe it will be snowing on Friday but if it does I will stock up on Doritos, Sodas, and Chicken Tenders. LOL What the fuck am I going to do with bread and eggs?

Milk is a non-essential in our home (bread and eggs we can do without)

Our essentials are (as far as FOOD goes is)

Bottled Water
Gatorade (orange)
Diet Sprite
Chicken
Potatoes

I don't need a lot of eggs and milk, if I have a little of each that can get me by with any dinner recipes.

BREAD

EGGS

MILK

I still don't believe it will be snowing on Friday but if it does I will stock up on Doritos, Sodas, and Chicken Tenders. LOL What the fuck am I going to do with bread and eggs?

Milk is a non-essential in our home (bread and eggs we can do without)

Our essentials are (as far as FOOD goes is)

Bottled Water
Gatorade (orange)
Diet Sprite
Chicken
Potatoes

I don't need a lot of eggs and milk, if I have a little of each that can get me by with any dinner recipes.

You sound like my kind of girl

Forum List

Back