Can anyone please explain what the heck Juneteenth holiday is for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If so many MAGA Republicans were not such dumbasses they would take the opportunity that Junetenth represents emancipation of blacks led by a Republican President.
No it doesn't. Lincoln was assassinated on April 15th, 1865. Not June 19th, 1865. And, this is a thing that happened in Texas. Emancipation took place in January 1, 1963. The news had not gotten to Texas yet. So, let Texas worship it.

It’s just another opportunity for democrats to emphasize neosegregation and keep blacks corralled as a reliable victim voting block.
I looked for acknowledgments of June 19 for decades and saw next to nothing about any Juneteenth bullshit. I was marking the day Len Bias died and saw virtually nothing about any Juneteenth garbage.
Then democrats and their Pravda hyped it up during trump’s term and made it into another anti-American, divisive ‘holiday’.

No serious answers?

Juneteenth is the date when the African American community has decided it is most appropriate to celebrate the end of American slavery. It appears to be the date when the LAST of the enslaved people were finally bestowed - at least theoretically - the rights of free citizenship in the United States.

Other possible dates are unsatisfactory. The date of the Emancipation Proclamation (January 1, 1863) is not acceptable because it did not free the slaves in the Border States (Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, and Missouri), and in fact it actually freed no one. The end of the Civil War (April 9, 1865 or August 20, 1866) is not totally relevant. And the date of ratification of the 13th Amendment (December 6, 1865) was formal but after the fact. June 19, 1865 seems to be the actual date when the last enslaved persons were freed.

Slavery was a "black mark" on the United States from the moment of its inception, particularly considering the high-minded expressions in the Declaration of Independence, and all Americans should celebrate its end. I have no problem with the descendants of those enslaved people deciding exactly when to celebrate it.

No serious answers?

Juneteenth is the date when the African American community has decided it is most appropriate to celebrate the end of American slavery. It appears to be the date when the LAST of the enslaved people were finally bestowed - at least theoretically - the rights of free citizenship in the United States.

Other possible dates are unsatisfactory. The date of the Emancipation Proclamation (January 1, 1863) is not acceptable because it did not free the slaves in the Border States (Delaware, Maryland, Kentucky, and Missouri), and in fact it actually freed no one. The end of the Civil War (April 9, 1865 or August 20, 1866) is not totally relevant. And the date of ratification of the 13th Amendment (December 6, 1865) was formal but after the fact. June 19, 1865 seems to be the actual date when the last enslaved persons were freed.

Slavery was a "black mark" on the United States from the moment of its inception, particularly considering the high-minded expressions in the Declaration of Independence, and all Americans should celebrate its end. I have no problem with the descendants of those enslaved people deciding exactly when to celebrate it.
Great! Then let them celebrate it. Leave the rest of us alone. We don't need more days off and when the banks and post office people can have their paid holiday.

Of course they are. They are just days the banks and many government offices are closed. Nobody is forcing you to celebrate either of them.
What a foolish statement. If I can't visit my bank or get assistance with mail, then Biden is forcing me to celebrate it. Something I'm not going to have a barbecue for.

What a foolish statement. If I can't visit my bank or get assistance with mail, then Biden is forcing me to celebrate it. Something I'm not going to have a barbecue for.
Damn you're whiney.

Not being able to go to the bank is neither a tragedy nor a celebration and your mail will still be there tomorrow.

I only see federal business shut down. Everything else is still open. And, why on a Wednesday? More stupidity.
Unions grabbing the low hanging fruit? Sounds like the head of the union I belonged to twenty years ago. She said she wouldn't rest until there was a paid holiday in every month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back